As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CCC.exe Has Stopped Working

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I keep getting this message when Windows starts. There doesn't appear to be anything specifically wrong with Catalyst Control Center or any games running off the PC, but it's annoying having to close this message every time my PC boots up.

I tried installing both the official driver as well as the latest beta, but the same message appears. The "check online for a solution" button does nothing either.

Here's what is listed in the error report, if anyone can make heads or tails from it:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: CCC.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5063f492
Fault Module Name: CCC.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 5063f492
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002a548
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Any tips to fix this would be appreciated.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    Ordinarily that would be a sign that either the CCC files are corrupted, or there's a hardware fault with your video card. It appears that neither of those are the case.

I'd recommend a workaround: simply stop the CCC from loading on startup. The easiest way is to download and run HijackThis! (http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/), and check the various AMD startup items.

This should be the some of them:
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe

I'm fairly certain there are more than that, but I've cleaned up my startup environment harshly.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    uninstall it and reinstall most recent version for your grphx card. CCC is bad at keeping itself updated.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I keep getting this message when Windows starts. There doesn't appear to be anything specifically wrong with Catalyst Control Center or any games running off the PC, but it's annoying having to close this message every time my PC boots up.

I tried installing both the official driver as well as the latest beta, but the same message appears. The "check online for a solution" button does nothing either.

Here's what is listed in the error report, if anyone can make heads or tails from it:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: CCC.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 5063f492
    Fault Module Name: CCC.exe
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 5063f492
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0002a548
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Any tips to fix this would be appreciated.

When I had this error it was because my .NET installation had been corrupted by my computer not shutting down properly.

I was able to fix it by doing an in-place installation of Windows. Basically it's reinstalling Windows without uninstalling it first, to replace any corrupted system files.

If downloading new drivers doesn't work, then you may have to try that.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I tried a full uninstall followed by a reinstall of 13.3, but sadly the problem persists. I'd rather avoid the Windows suggestion, unless you're certain it won't reset any settings/wipe any data, so I might try the Hijack program next.

edited April 2013
    I tried a full uninstall followed by a reinstall of 13.3, but sadly the problem persists. I'd rather avoid the Windows suggestion, unless you're certain it won't reset any settings/wipe any data, so I might try the Hijack program next.

I'm 100% sure it won't wipe any data and it'll leave the majority of your settings. When I did it, the only problem I had was that McAfee freaked out and I had to do an install, uninstall, reinstall combo (in safe mode) to get it to cooperate.

It's the last thing to try, but if you do have the same problem I did, it'll fix it. Definitely try Hijack first though.

gjaustin on
    gjaustin wrote: »

I'm 100% sure it won't wipe any data and it'll leave the majority of your settings. When I did it, the only problem I had was that McAfee freaked out and I had to do an install, uninstall, reinstall combo (in safe mode) to get it to cooperate.

It's the last thing to try, but if you do have the same problem I did, it'll fix it. Definitely try Hijack first though.

How exactly do you do this? Do you need to have the Windows 7 disc/installer handy, or is it a command you can execute with your current settings?

I downloaded my copy of Windows 7 from an MS promotion way back. Finding that info/key again could prove time-consuming, though I believe there was a program that would let you look up the key associated with your version of Windows. Even so, I wouldn't know which .exe to execute, so a quick how-to would be nice.

But I'll probably try Hijack first anyway. I just wanted to have the details of this option in case that doesn't work.

gjaustin wrote: »

How exactly do you do this? Do you need to have the Windows 7 disc/installer handy, or is it a command you can execute with your current settings?

I downloaded my copy of Windows 7 from an MS promotion way back. Finding that info/key again could prove time-consuming, though I believe there was a program that would let you look up the key associated with your version of Windows. Even so, I wouldn't know which .exe to execute, so a quick how-to would be nice.

But I'll probably try Hijack first anyway. I just wanted to have the details of this option in case that doesn't work.

You do need access to your old license key. You also needs a Windows 7 disc, but the ISO for that can be legally downloaded if necessary.

How to Repair a Corrupt Windows 7 Installation

Ordinarily that would be a sign that either the CCC files are corrupted, or there's a hardware fault with your video card. It appears that neither of those are the case.

I'd recommend a workaround: simply stop the CCC from loading on startup. The easiest way is to download and run HijackThis! (http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/), and check the various AMD startup items.

This should be the some of them:
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe

I'm fairly certain there are more than that, but I've cleaned up my startup environment harshly.

So how does this program work? I checked those lines you mentioned, hit the "fix checked" button, but they popped back up when I restarted the PC, thus giving the same error message.

As for 023, mine says this:

O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility -Unknown Owner- C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)

I wonder if that might be the cause.

• Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    Normally, they shouldn't come back like that. The program removes the registry entries for software and settings that load when Windows is started.

Most likely, some portion of the AMD software is running, notices that something isn't working, and restores it.

You could also try looking for the entry in Services (Start->"search programs and files"->services.msc), opening the entry and then setting it to "Disabled".

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
    For a while, this problem had somehow fixed itself (or maybe it was an update over something I installed), so I thought that would be the end of it.

But the problem has come back, and so far I haven't been able to get rid of it.

Any new ideas I could try?

• BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    I had a problem with that message too, I solved mine by using a Registry Cleaner (it turned out I had multiple installs that were screwing each other up).

Blarghy wrote: »
    I had a problem with that message too, I solved mine by using a Registry Cleaner (it turned out I had multiple installs that were screwing each other up).

Would you happen to know which one you used? I've been using CCleaner, but it hasn't gotten rid of the message.