As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Job advice (Internal promotion vs. Starting fresh)

BaconParabellumBaconParabellum Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I’m in a totally foreign to me job situation that I could use some advice on, or maybe just writing it down will be helpful for me.

Been working at current employer A (making roughly $42k/yr, hourly) for almost 9 years and things with how mgmt works have been declining steadily the last few, long story as usual. My job is about as secure as it can be though, I have unique experience which would be pretty difficult to replace.
I’ve been looking for a new job the last year or so, not just any job but something I want to do at a company with a steady future. Found a great opportunity at company B where I know quite a few people already that work there. Listed pay range for company B job is $40-$50k/yr hourly. I’ve had 2 interviews with company B, got a plant tour on the 2nd interview and I think I have a very good chance of getting the job from what was said.
The 2nd interview was 4 days ago, and today my current employer A has offered me a fairly significant raise/promotion (to about $47k) but it’s a salaried job, pretty sure they got the word I was working on leaving and don’t want to lose me. They gave me until Monday to accept/decline.

At this point I don’t think I have anything to lose by accepting the salaried increase, as I still have no obligations to stay if company B does offer me the job in the next few weeks. This may actually put me in a better situation as far as negotiating higher pay at company B.
I do know I’ll feel a little bad about taking the money and then leaving soon after.

After thinking a bit more, I think I really should be treating this “promotion” completely separate from the possible job elsewhere, almost ignoring it completely as at this point I don’t know if they even want me. I think I should take the opportunity with this raise to negotiate my position/wages. Previously I’d always had $50k in the back of my mind as a personal minimum with going to salary and while I doubt employer A will go that high, I think I can get closer.

Basically, this promotion doesn't change my mind about wanting to leave, but is there any reason I shouldn't take the raise even though I might quit in the very near future?

Any advice/input you can offer?

BaconParabellum on

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It seems to me that you have little to lose in accepting the new position, as you have only a few weeks to wait to hear from the other prospective employer. However, if you land the position with the new company, you'll probably want to be gracious enough with your current employer to offer to serve out your remaining 2 weeks (or whatever notice you give) easing the transition as they attempt to fill your position, rather than in training or preparation for new job title that you'll never actually fully inhabit.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It's been my experience that most places won't think twice about screwing you if it puts them in a better position, so why not take the promotion? If you do get the new job, you'll have better leverage and if you don't you've bettered your current and future prospects.

As long as you don't walk in and shit in your boss's coffee and give proper notice you're not likely to burn that many bridges. Some people will be annoyed, but most people will understand.

Invisible on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    You could always ask Employer A to go high. Ask for 50k, maybe they'll go 48 or 49 for you, hell maybe you'll get the full monty. There is nothing wrong with that. If you take the promotion and then move on 8 months from then, the only negative thing that I can see is burning the bridge there, and they won't likely hire you again. I personally like having a "pocket job" in case shit happens. However from the way you say it, they are going to be bitches about it no matter what you do, so get paid. An extra 5k-6k a year is nice, 70 bucks a week (after taxes) on your pay check makes a big difference.

• BaconParabellumBaconParabellum Registered User regular
    So, a little update if anyone cares. I took the offer my current employer made me last week, they wouldn't budge on $ for reasons I won't get into.

Today I get get a call from company B, they want me to come in tomorrow so they can make me a job offer!
    Any advice for how to handle it? Hopefully my recent promotion will allow me to negotiate some. Am I expected to make a counter offer right then, or is it pretty normal to take a day and get back to them? My thinking is they've taken 2.5 months to make the decision, I should be allowed a day or two to mull it over!

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My general experience has been that up to a week is usually acceptable for "thinking it over". Just be clear that you need time to think about and agree with them (better if it's in writing/email) about the date.
    As with all things, your mileage may vary based on the individual company or people involved.
    But this has worked for me so and seems to be similar to others I have talked to over the years.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So, a little update if anyone cares. I took the offer my current employer made me last week, they wouldn't budge on $ for reasons I won't get into.

Today I get get a call from company B, they want me to come in tomorrow so they can make me a job offer!
    Any advice for how to handle it? Hopefully my recent promotion will allow me to negotiate some. Am I expected to make a counter offer right then, or is it pretty normal to take a day and get back to them? My thinking is they've taken 2.5 months to make the decision, I should be allowed a day or two to mull it over!

Excellent, there is no downside in taking the promotion your current employer offered. You aren't obligated to stay with them or do anything special, and it gives you more options.

Go to company B, discuss your salary with them, and see what they offer. You can let them know that your current employer has offered / given you a raise and promotion, but you are still open to considering their offer.

Let them know you need some time to think it over / discuss with your significant other (if you have one) - nobody expects you to take their offer right then and there. It's completely normal to take a day / few days before accepting an offer.

There is always going to be some 'grass is always greener' going on when you are looking at a new job, but if your current job is the gradually sinking ship like you indicated, you've got nothing to lose. If they are promoting you, they should be happy that they have the extra time to get your replacement trained, since I'm assuming someone else would be taking over some of your old roles anyway.

Remember - two weeks is a courtesy, but you should always give it. Also remember that if their bottom line says it makes sense, they will be at your desk with a box and you'll be unemployed in five minutes. You don't owe your employer any more loyalty than what's on Friday's paycheck.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Personally the way I'd play this is meet with new possible employer. During that meet push for what you want (if you wanted 50K from current go for 55-60 from new) and if you get an offer that's worth it, accept right then and then say you owe it to old employer to put in 2 weeks. Get a signed contract, and it should be worth more to you than whatever your current employer will counter with when you put in notice. Then put in notice to old employer.

Returning 2.5 months after means they have more of a need for you (or some meatbag to fill the position). Actually it sounds like they only took a couple weeks from 2nd interview to get back to you?

There are many factors here that you probably cannot convey perfectly online. Do what your gut tells you, but also push for what you think you're worth. Lengthy employment at same place means from objective eye you probably undervalue yourself. Though internal promotion and long tenure does grant you cachet, you'll mostly benefit when you're seeking other employment.

Best of luck.