The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - You Are Your Brand

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - You Are Your Brand

This week the Artists put their personal identity to the test.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• DinospyDinospy Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    Not Katie! Woo!

Also, wow that elimination round looks much more tense than previous ones...

The_Glad_HatterHappyaxNull SetKnightmarezerzhulXeavnThe_Doctor1BLTankGgreco
  • TelloTello Registered User regular
    Lexxy made me uncomfortable sitting in the comfort of my own home..couldn't imagine being there. Go Tavis!

Levin SadsadKthanidMingo413Spman2099NotaCylonWalterJKovacsMichyGearyGgrecojammer170
  • JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    Yep. Next episode's gonna burn. I think I remember Mike saying at the PAX panel that the third elimination was the hardest for him.

KnightmareNotaCylonGgreco
  • J. D. MilknutJ. D. Milknut Lord of Chipmunks Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Oooh boy.

gekm71tpnnd5.gif
  • TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    i would've just typed fuck you to every hating tweet.

• bingodanbingodan Registered User regular
    High five katie you sexy bitch, youre going all the way!

NotaCylonButlerBig Luke Nasty
  • caitycaity Registered User new member
    I gotta say, I'm really glad Katie isn't up for elimination, but at the same time, I enjoyed her there because she made great conversation with the judges and she could joke with them and be friendly in a stressful situation. That elimination preview looks so much more intense and serious...

Also gotta love Nick. I thought his reasoning for the elimination candidates was sound and he seems like such a personable fellow <3

NotaCylonSpliveKalTorakGgreco
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @StripSearch I don't like the way you're challenging the strippers in your show. Managing yourself as a brand is complex, there's no one right answer. You just lost a viewer.

(Go Lexxy! Scott's dumb and smells funny. Crush Tavis to prove that you were right and Scott was not right. You're the best if we're not counting Katie.)

Sejarki on
    Levin SadsadhodumaruMingo413FayiliSpman2099enderandrewMichyGearyGgrecojammer170pyl
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I think the right two people went up. The challenge wasn't Twitter so much as it was properly engaging. Normally, not engaging with a hostile person is fine- I see it happen all the time to no ill effect- but the challenge was more 'if you HAD to engage, what would you say?' And then there was Lexxy, who did her damage after the tweeting itself; she engaged and engaged with Scott until Nick had little choice bit to put her up. Twitter's part of your personal brand, but in-person conversation is too. Making the whole room uncomfortable does not help your personal brand.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    hodumaruLevin SadsadInquisitorSpman2099ButlerFranklinBluthBLTankGgrecojammer170
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter Rogue Jpeg Jockey Registered User regular
    What i saw Lexxy do is what i've seen many people do in art school during crit sessions. No matter how right you are you always lose because of it in the end.

ozr4h81a0maq.jpg0lwmzl3bfzok.jpg
    JoshEckHalenKnightmarezerzhulNotaCylonXeavnFranklinBluthBLTankcheshiremanElbasunuGgrecojammer170AveryJJworld
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    That's right vote me down mofos I think Lexxy was right and will take that to my grave.

Actually this is the one time I wish Kurtz posted here because a downvote from him would be hilarious.

Cambiata on
    Spman2099Ggrecojammer170
  • TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    Lexxy gets some points for having a philosophy and going out there to defend it, I guess that's the weird part of it--she seems to have been out there and forward about her idea about, well, not going forward and out there.

Spman2099MichyGeary
    Also though I totally agree with her reasons, she did go too far in the questioning the judge thing. Sometimes the judge is wrong and you have to know when to stop telling them that because otherwise you just keep digging yourself deeper.

HalenSpman2099SpliveElbasunujammer170
  • FayiliFayili Registered User regular
    Man, two of my favorites. That sucks.

I agree with Lexxy, but I can see where she might have gone too far. Then again, I can't say that I would have done differently. I try to avoid conflict myself, and I'd probably tweet similar responses, and I get very defensive of my reasoning in person... It's easy to judge from out here, but I completely understand why things went the way they did.

(Also once Scott Kurtz was kind of mean to me, though he probably didn't intend it, so maybe I'm biased against him?)

Prepositions are the things you should not end sentences with.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.
    Spman2099NotaCylon
  • JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    Glad Hatter nailed it a few comments down. And Monica brought it up in the episode. This was a lot like an art class critique. The teacher starts lecturing you on what they think needs changed and even if you DO disagree, you don't say anything. You just don't. It almost never goes well. I've never seen it go well.

HalenzerzhulNotaCylonAnialosmageormike
  • wonkots42wonkots42 Registered User regular
    I found it odd that two of the tweets directly addressing the artist assumed a male target, especially as the show was originally 50/50 male/female and is now 60/40 female/male. Even if Kurtz had added in dialogue a quick "or her" while reading the written tweet, it would have seemed less odd to me. It seems like it would have been easy enough to make these tweets gender neutral. Is it because these were tweets that Kurtz himself has received?

LKMjammer170
  • Panda LikerPanda Liker Registered User regular
    Cool guy Nick wins twice in a row and has nothing to show for it... aside from the blood of Ty and whoever goes home this elimination round :(

Not even a redraw ticket? That's cold @Stripsearch. :<

NotaCylonElbasunu
  • Mingo413Mingo413 Registered User regular
    Just want to point out for the people scrolling down/up and reading comments, Sejarki was using the last nega-tweet as the basis for his comment. No need to downvote!

Tofystedeth
    Also also, I was totally expecting Lexxy to be picked for elimination after everyone said how uncomfortable she was making them.

But Lexxy will persevere! Of this I am certain. Sorry, Tavvis, at least you got to be on the show up to now!

LexxySpman2099NotaCylon
  • HappyaxHappyax Registered User regular
    That was an exciting episode. I wonder if we will get a the making of show. Or a bloopers reel.

duddlesGgreco
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    I had to register for this one. Even though she was one of two that I was rooting for, this episode now put me 150% onto Team Lexxy. Yes, even if this challenge might be a negative for her on the show.

I was quite impressed by her personally, especially her anti-snark, anti-self-deprecating position. There's too much of that online, and a good poise is really stand-out regardless of how it affects the particular win/lose dynamic on the show. From her statements, she already has a positive experience engaging the public in this way.

Deep engagement can also be managed very well in the public forum and give readers a sense of ownership in the strip without having to kowtow to them. It also has to do with how intelligent and crafted a strip is; it probably wouldn't work well for a gag-a-day strip.

Yeah, it probably wasn't the time or place to try to defend & discuss with Kurtz, but if somebody's conviction gets in the way of situational appropriateness, I'm generally okay with that. Plus, it does show the difference between people used to working professionally and having to extract and manage direction, versus working for the public in general (or sitting in an art class).

CambiataNull SetLKMHalenLexxySpman2099zerzhulKochikensCortenPlusBLTank
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Cool Guy Nick! You're the best.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    HalenNotaCylon
  • smitster03smitster03 Registered User new member
    While I didn't agree with everything Scott said, he obviously knows a lot and at the end of the day, it is a competition, so you shouldn't just be thinking about what is the best thing to write but also what the judge would like to see.

While I know some people are against the system being "gamed" as you say, they are playing a game so its perfectly acceptable to do that. Its just you have to justify yourself to everyone, and not make enemies in the process. So early on its better to pick the worst (or at least not people who should obviously not go home).

Personally I see Amy doing quite well in this competition. Not only does she understand it is a game and is constantly thinking about how best to play it, she has also done good or fantastic in all the competitions so far.

PaulMcGraniteNotaCylonjammer170
  • LKMLKM Registered User regular
    I think Lexxy did the right thing, both in her responses, and in standing up for herself when critiqued. I think this was a highly problematic challenge to begin with, and it was judged in a problematic way. Obviously, a guy like Scott deals differently with tweets from asshats than other people, and at the same time, he doesn't have the kind of experience with how truly scary online bullying can be for people will a less thick skin, less prominence, and a smaller support network.

LexxyHalenBLTankFayili
  • HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I think it's more about taking criticism gracefully, even if you disagree with it, rather than being right or wrong.

Draw an egg.
    LexxySpman2099NotaCylonhotzpThe_Glad_HatterBLTankElbasunuenderandrewHardmanMichyGearyGgreco
  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, Amy really has her shit figured out and wants to win this. It will be interesting if the "we are all friends" atmosphere will change once the pool of people to put up for elimination will get smaller and smaller. Right now there are enough people to pick from, but once the group gets smaller you can't "hide" in the middle (Maki, Monica, Abby) and count on weaker performances. Right now my money is on Amy, who will probably win (based on really strong challenge performances), Katie, who i want to win and Nick, who seems to stroll through these challenges as if it's nothing. I have not seen much from the rest, but just because their weren't featured enough for me to really get to know them. Especially Monica and Maki are blank slates (as in i don't really know them, yet. not that they are boring) to me.

I am really excited for the upcoming elimination challenges. Until now they addressed more the social, communication part of skills. I am sure we will see the the contestants make Ad-calls or maybe they will have to create a Banner-Ad for their site based on a site or product (akin to PA Presents).

Edit:
    Forgot to talk about "the Lexxy-Situation" ;D. There is addressing criticism from your audience and then there is bending yourself to please everyone. I think Lexxy leaned too much towards the latter. And I think that Kurtz is right that trying to let your audience influence your work too much will let you loose your voice. Once you start polls you might end up with your characters sucking double sided dildos.

kolybry on
    HalenNotaCylonfraggyGgreco
  • KnightmareKnightmare PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Oh no! I love Lexxy and Tavis, it's going to be rough to watch them compete... the previews for the next episode look intense, I don't know if I can handle it!

• HeyThereElizaHeyThereEliza Registered User regular
    I've seen Lexxy's art so I think that'll be her advantage. But in my opinion, I think Tavis' comic will be better, depending on subject matter. I guess we'll have to see! Tuesday can't come fast enough!

NotaCylon
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've realized that after seeing and meeting so many of the artists at PAX East, I'm now even more excited for each episode! Now to watch this one...

86diUMN.png5OEMupX.png
    FacelesscogElbasunu
  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Did someone record the Pax panel from last week? Unfortunately it was not streamed. Gabe and Tycho mentioned it in the Q&A and I'd love to see it.

Edit:
    Nevermind found it:

kolybry on
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    I am torn on the whole situation with Lexxy...

On one hand, I agree with what she was saying. Just because you humor someone, or look for input, doesn't mean you are going to mangle your own work in a desperate bid to acquire their approval. So, I agreed with her. Hell, I even agree with defending your position, especially with something so incredibly subjective. However, sometimes you just have to accept that others don't agree and move on. She didn't help herself by arguing as much as she did...

I don't know, I feel like I could have made a similar mistake. I hope Lexxy doesn't go home.

• JermsJerms Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Did not envy Nick making that choice, but I think if I was in his shoes I would have picked the same two, just based on the judging feedback.

It's going to be an interesting elimination. I think Lexxy is probably the most accomplished draftsmanwomanperson in the house, but I have no idea how she will go with a 90 minute deadline, or with using those skills to summon Mike and Jerry's h'yuks.

Also, Scott is awesome. If I saw him at the dog park I'd be in for a hit and run hug before he could tweet the cops. Fortunately for us both I'm 20,000 miles away. :D

Jerms on
    HalenNotaCylon
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    @KOLYBRY Beardwall. It's working.

NotaCylonRaakamzerzhulfraggyGamercowElbasunugavindelTofystedeth
  • NotaCylonNotaCylon Consultant - UN Las CrucesRegistered User regular
    Yay, more screen time for my girl Monica! Personally, I think that Tavis handled himself well. Would hate to see him go.

• duddlesduddles Registered User regular
    I wish that the challenges were more like the eliminations - give all the contestants a prompt and then give them a couple days to come up with a comic. It would be interesting to see their different processes and the resulting comics, and to hear their discussions about the work. (Maybe you could even team them up to get interesting dynamics) Mike talked about how inspiring the show was for him in terms of just wanting "to make" but a lot of these challenges (twitter, trivia, interviews) don't really focus on actual making. I know I'm in the minority in my frustration but I just wanted to chime in with my two cents since I think the core of the show is really fascinating.

• Moga2Moga2 Brisbane AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Felt I had to comment on this one, have been loving the show.
    The whole Lexxy situation is interesting. While it can be argued that her response to the tweets is acceptable, what I find unacceptable is her responses to Kurtz. While I wouldn't say Scott is the be all and end all of twitter responses, his criticisms and suggestions are valid, and should have been received as intended, that being that he was trying to provide her knowledge from his experiences, and honestly I'm pretty certain Kurtz would have far more experience in that domain than most of the contestants combined.

Lexxy came off as arrogant and unwilling to learn, nor reflect on herself based on another persons feedback. Im sure she is a wonderful person, as she seems to have alot of genuine fans on here, but in this instance she came off as a bit of a dick.

hotzpHalenSpman2099SpliveTheSpydercheshiremantheResetButtonLexxy
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    LKM wrote: »
    I think Lexxy did the right thing, both in her responses, and in standing up for herself when critiqued. I think this was a highly problematic challenge to begin with, and it was judged in a problematic way. Obviously, a guy like Scott deals differently with tweets from asshats than other people, and at the same time, he doesn't have the kind of experience with how truly scary online bullying can be for people will a less thick skin, less prominence, and a smaller support network.

Really don't agree with you. It's like a cooking competition. If you like pepper on your chicken, and the Judge doesn't, then you lose. That's the name of game. Real life doesn't usually have objective judgments. It's something you have to deal with. A true competitor should have tried to write a response Scott would have liked, not a response you would have liked. And you don't argue your point that much. It was embarrassing. I definitely lost a lot of respect for Lexxy. You have to shut up and take someone's opinion sometimes. Like they said in the show. By arguing non-stop with a "troll" she failed the dealing with trolls competition. And finally: If she doesn't have the skin to deal with "online bullying" she doesn't deserve to win. The show is looking for the overall package.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    HalenSplive
  • Con-ArtistCon-Artist MichiganianRegistered User regular
    This was another enjoyable one - though I think the time limit of an hour for 5 responses was a little bit much and I think that showed. Granted, Mackenz took the full amount of time and still ended up in the middle of the pack (from what we saw).

I recently was watching a panel where Wil Wheaton was talking about how to react to trolls, and his attitude was "downvote, ignore, delete, move on". Seeing that Tavis shares that - I don't necessarily see as a bad thing. I can identify with that, as it's the lesson that I've had to teach myself...

I should add that I love Katie to death and I'm glad she's still in the game - but if we lose another dude: I'm gonna be sad panda, despite the fact that I'm a HUGE fan of Lexxy's work. I am, however, a gay dude and I needs me my man-candy.

/creeper out

Spman2099The_Doctor1BLTank
  • WalterJKovacsWalterJKovacs Registered User regular
    I can see where Lexxy was going, but it is sort of a limits on Twitter thing. While finding out what people dislike about your work doesn't mean you are bound to abide by their decisions, it's ultimately up to you, throwing it out there like that isn't just soliciting more criticism, but also opening the door to people wondering about the source of any changes. It's the reason Nick's response was so good, you take the feedback, but make it seem like it was in the plan all along. It's not snarky or dismissive, but it also puts forth a confidence that you hope fans have in your work. Better to look confident while learning from mistakes than basically implying that you don't know what you are doing and are looking to your fans for advice. It is very much a sort of twitter thing, as it's not just a case of interacting one on one with someone, but doing so in a public venue. She did understand sort of why snark may not be the best response, because any kind of public interaction is going to be witnessed by others, but Nick was right in pointing out, she was sort of having a personal discussion with Scott in front of everyone that was similarly awkward by being a public dialogue instead of a private one.

VandelayBLTankMynt