Options

[WOW] Mists of Pandaria. I farmed up 150 Pieces of Meat and all I got was this lousy belt.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I don't think anybody's said that Melee are not competitive DPSwise with Ranged. I'm usually near the top in raids I'm in as well, and that's as a ret paladin. We have an enh shaman too, and his burst at the beginning of a fight is insane to the point where I have a salv macro for him and whether or not I beat him on DPS is based purely on if the fight goes on long enough for me to catch up (or if he dies from pulling aggro....)

The issue is that boss mechanics tend to punish raids which lean too heavily towards melee whereas there's very little drawback to leaving heavily towards ranged. Think about what it might look like, for example, trying to do Tortos as a progression fight with only one or maybe two ranged, as compared to only one or maybe two melee.

I will totally agree with this. I've been in melee-heavy raid groups in the past and it's ALWAYS a struggle. Whereas you could stack nothing but ranged and be pretty successful in most situations. I'm somewhat lucky in that right now I'm the only melee in our group (not counting when the tanks or paladin healer goes DPS for a fight :P)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Not sure if you've left out details here, but it sounds like you have more ranged than melee...

I guess I was misreading the posts regarding melee vs. ranged. I'm simply pointing out that myself and the other melee in our 10M can stay competitive with the ranged without too many difficulties; despite "Blizzard has hated melee since BC."

if you replace all the melee with ranged you can still do the encounter fine. Going the other way, not so much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Almost any encounter of the variety "ranged kill adds" becomes much, much worse if you only have, say, two ranged DPS in a 10-man. Unless those ranged are like your absolute best players, maybe.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    This may be my favorite thread to show up on the WoW forums:
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/263283-ghostcrawler-pregnant-with-zarhyms-baby/
    Is it true that the reason Ghostcrawler dosnt come on the forums anymore is in fact not because he prefers twitter , but that he in fact became pregnant and is carrying Zarhyms baby? And is it also true that their child will in fact be the end boss for the next expansion ?

Read the blue responses there (they are fantastic), but the best part:
    img]

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I don't even need to read the thread to know that half the posts are people bitching that Blues don't answer 'real' threads. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I'm just jealous of melee because they don't get the heroic horridon pink dinosaur until the last phase, whereas I seem to get it first thing every goddamn time.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    we had animus to 10% two hours ago, and haven't been back since

I hate this fight

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I'm just jealous of melee because they don't get the heroic horridon pink dinosaur until the last phase, whereas I seem to get it first thing every goddamn time.
    Our dps is now high enough that even some range don't get him

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Our dps is now high enough that even some range don't get him

Screw that guy. I get it either first or second every time. I really envy our shaman, who seems to always get it last out of the ranged. I still whoop him on damage though. Lolmages.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular

I hate this fight

We got to Phase5 and had BoP use fuckup cost us the kill at Attempt 15 on Heroic Horridon. Didn't get a kill until 3 raid nights later on Attempt 60...

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    JediNight wrote: »

I hate this fight

We got to Phase5 and had BoP use fuckup cost us the kill at Attempt 15 on Heroic Horridon. Didn't get a kill until 3 raid nights later on Attempt 60...

Ouch. My guild put in a similar number of attempts on Heroic Horriface (although maybe not quite 60? still was a fuckin' lot). It's hilarious now though, the past two weeks (our first kill was 3 weeks ago) we've been one-shotting him. I mean, not entirely unexpected? When you put that many attempts into a fight, you kind of get it down to a science eventually. Especially with a fight like Heroic Horridon that isn't super complicated mechanically.

I still find it funny that we can one shot Heroic Horridon and then fumble all over normal modes we've had on farm. Haha.

Also, unrelated story. This week, I only had 3 things left to VP upgrade: Neck, Cloak, Trinket. All three of which are things I can replace from heroic drops (Neck/Cloak off Horridon, Cloak off Ji-Kun, Trinket off Jin'rohk). But at the same time, might as well upgrade gear at this point. So I chose my cloak. Tonight we killed Heroic Ji-Kun and lo and fucking behold the cloak drops.

THANKS OBAMA. I mean Blizz. Still waiting for my goddamn Heroic Renataki's Soul Charm to drop too. GRUMBLE.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I held off on upgrading my cloak specifically because I know I'd be getting a really good one eventually. It took time (and a ticket to a GM) to get it, but goddamn it I have the fucking thing.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Last night was productive, I finally got my fucking tier piece from Dark Animus so my ret set is no longer using a raid finder T14 chest, and the tank shield from Primordius finally dropped. Also got a shoulder token off Iron Qon as a coin roll (which, I could use on my prot set to replace raid finder, but dammit I wanted the gloves to complete my BiS normal ret set).

Of course, killed all the bosses up to Lei Shen, and I'm sitting at 11/12 runestones...

• Options
    Do Lei Shen on LFR then.

• Options
    Yup that's the plan. Just irked that 5 of the 6 eligible bosses managed to not drop a runestone.

• Options
    Yup that's the plan. Just irked that 5 of the 6 eligible bosses managed to not drop a runestone.

At least you didn't do all the bossing INCLUDING Lei Shen and are sitting at 11/12 because they didn't drop any runestones (*grumble*...)

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Warlock82 wrote: »

At least you didn't do all the bossing INCLUDING Lei Shen and are sitting at 11/12 because they didn't drop any runestones (*grumble*...)

That was last week :P

EDIT: Misread this....last week I had started at 8/12, hit backhalf and got 3 of the runestones I needed, including one from Lei Shen.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I only got 2 this week, I fucking hate the RNG :/ Other tank in my guild got fucking 5 in one week, jerk. Only one he missed was lei shen, since it was the week before the auto drop.

Got heroic Ji-Kun down this week, so we're finally at the 2/12H plateau. Not bad I guess considering we didn't start even killing jin'rokh until almost a month after the instance came out, and never got to shek'zeer when t14 was relevant.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Was doing the Nesingwary quests in Valley of the Four Winds last nite and Holy Moley, those Mushan were not dropping diddly. Someone in chat mentioned that the reason for this is that after 10 pm PST the loot tables flip over to something much less generous, to discourage overnite farmers. Is there any truth to this ?

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I've never heard of that

• Options
    edited June 2013

You could've sent in a ticket. I did, they mailed me the last runestone.

Lorahalo on
  • Options

You could've sent in a ticket. I did, they mailed me the last runestone.

For what? I got a runestone off Lei Shen.

• Options
    Derp. I thought you got the bug I got where he didn't drop one.

• Options
    No, I needed two and only got the one guaranteed runestone... which is so stupid.

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    No, I needed two and only got the one guaranteed runestone... which is so stupid.

I'll be feeling that next week. I'm at 10/12 now.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Don't understand why Lei Shen doesn't have a guaranteed drop of a Secret, too.

Must've burned all my good luck last week, since I've done Halls and PInnacle LFR this week and havn't gotten one so far.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Glory of the horde as non-pvp windwalker = several horribly frustrating losses.

Glory of the horde as non-pvp mistweaver = two easy victories that left the opposition wrecked beyond belief.

I hate that I never remember that I should go healer for pvp stuff and have to fumble my way to that realization every time.

• Options
    Thanks for another useless off-set chest instead of Shan-Dun, "streak protection"!

• Options
    Oh, I had a ~12 minute wait for the third part of ToT LFR last night queued as heal/tank. That was strange.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh, I had a ~12 minute wait for the third part of ToT LFR last night queued as heal/tank. That was strange.

We had a long wait for tanks when both left last night. And then some moron pulled Lei Shen and when I pointed out that "uhh, we have no tanks" he bitched at me that he had switched to tank spec, because you can totally kill Lei Shen with an off-spec DK and no second tank and missing two people!

When we all wiped I responded to him that "Yes, I see how well that worked out" and then he muttered something about not getting heals :P lol

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I only got 2 this week, I fucking hate the RNG :/ Other tank in my guild got fucking 5 in one week, jerk. Only one he missed was lei shen, since it was the week before the auto drop.

Got heroic Ji-Kun down this week, so we're finally at the 2/12H plateau. Not bad I guess considering we didn't start even killing jin'rokh until almost a month after the instance came out, and never got to shek'zeer when t14 was relevant.
    I never got more than one in a single week before the Lei Shen auto-drop. Since the auto-drop, I've never gotten more than two per week. My drop rate has been under 10% if you don't count the change to Lei Shen.

Numi wrote: »
    Glory of the horde as non-pvp windwalker = several horribly frustrating losses.

Glory of the horde as non-pvp mistweaver = two easy victories that left the opposition wrecked beyond belief.

I hate that I never remember that I should go healer for pvp stuff and have to fumble my way to that realization every time.
    It's pretty arbitrary. It's just the luck of the draw of getting a shit team vs. an awesome team, which you have no control over.

forty on
  • Options

We had a long wait for tanks when both left last night. And then some moron pulled Lei Shen and when I pointed out that "uhh, we have no tanks" he bitched at me that he had switched to tank spec, because you can totally kill Lei Shen with an off-spec DK and no second tank and missing two people!

When we all wiped I responded to him that "Yes, I see how well that worked out" and then he muttered something about not getting heals :P lol
    A few weeks ago I got into a fresh run of part 3 as a tank, but the other tank must not have accepted because I was the only one there. We cleared trash with me as the only tank, then ended up waiting a while to pull Durumu before a second tank finally appeared. In total it was at least 15 minutes before the system was able to get us a second tank in what was a fresh run.

Sure is an interesting change of pace from 40 minute tank queues in Dragon Soul LFR.

• Options
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/263283-ghostcrawler-pregnant-with-zarhyms-baby/
    Is it true that the reason Ghostcrawler dosnt come on the forums anymore is in fact not because he prefers twitter , but that he in fact became pregnant and is carrying Zarhyms baby? And is it also true that their child will in fact be the end boss for the next expansion ?

Haha Wow Insider has an article up about this and links to some more pictures:
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/06/27/ghostcrawler-might-be-having-zarhyms-baby/

Some of the best ones (spoilering due to large images :P):
    oFtAy08.pngdqtG5PN.pngyAaG1qY.png

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Finished the other half of ToT LFR, and at least got two secrets there. (Both from Last Stand.) That puts me at 16/20, and within the realm of possibility of finishing this leg next week.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MMO Champ updated with the latest patch changes. It's looking like the final reward is going to be to upgrade your cloak to actual legendary quality.

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I don't like to be obscene, but the ranged dps challenge for the cloak quest can lick a sweaty taint.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Still waiting for my goddamn Heroic Renataki's Soul Charm to drop too. GRUMBLE.

I got a Heroic TF Renataki's off our first Jinrokh kill. Yes, your tears sustain me *lick* :)

• Options

Haha Wow Insider has an article up about this and links to some more pictures:
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/06/27/ghostcrawler-might-be-having-zarhyms-baby/
    I loved the one with GC about to pitch the paladin baseball to his kid with the Nerf bat.

• Options
    Mega Snail vs Giant Dinosaur: This is exactly what you think it is. 10 points

<3

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, that preview of the first boss of the new raid looks like it's a fairly simple introduction. Well aside from the tank getting the shit kicked out of him, but I suppose that depends on whether it's interruptible or not.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12