As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about raise [CHAT] and kill all the poor?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Considering there's no real evidence GMO food is unsafe to eat, it seems making it so you can't prosecute people for growing it is a good thing?

democratic coalition wedge problem.

SCIENCE IS GOOD AND TRUE
    BIG BUSINESS IS BAD AND EVIL

How can big business do science? It must be a lie!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Man, I'm internet mad about the Monsanto thing. I'm not afraid of genetically modified food; I love THE FUTURE. I don't trust these asshats, and am never in favor of removing regulation and oversight.

Fucking... god damnit it, US.

Yeah we all hate Monsanto.

The law isn't necessarily bad. Think of it more like: "don't fuck people's livelihood until we can get to the bottom of this and cause a panic and food shortage, but hippies are going to over-react to this anyways, so fuck them."

Unless I'm misreading, it takes the teeth away from the FDA for a year; they can say "yo, you need to test that seed more", but can't bring the courts in to actually file injunctions to stop them from selling the untested products. Which is terrible on it's own merits, not counting whatever crap Monsanto's going to try to sell.

It also protects farmers, too, IIRC, so they can keep selling GMO without penalization.

I was reading that it stops lawsuits from preventing distribution of product so a competitor cannot file a lawsuit just to stop you from releasing a product for a year.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    awwwww yeah official RA page suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaz

residentadvisor.com/dj/spssky

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Then you throw the humanitarians and the environmentalist loons into the mix and you have a leftwing clusterfuck that is impressive to watch.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Things I've learned playing public Halo matches:

-- a noticeable percentage of the public voice chat is in Spanish, which shouldn't be surprising, but for some reason it is.
    -- there are LOTS of little kids that are more than eager to make friends with anyone else who will talk back to them on there. It's cute, in a wholly frightening, "goddamn just how little attention are these guys getting from their parents anyway?" kinda way.
    -- and overall there is VERY little negative trash talk, like once every 15th match some guy says "you all are a bunch of fucking idiots" right before you lose (they don't say anything prior to that) so really Xbox Live's reputation as a den of negativity is very widely overblown at this point (although I haven't played CoD for years so who knows what the fuck is happening over there)

It's been this way since counterstrike's voice chat thing. Sure you'd get annoying fuckers, and kids that fucked my mom, but a lot of them just liked to talk about things they were doing or interesting stuff, especially if you frequented a server. I had one kid that followed me no matter what team I played on. Always telling me about his goings on in school. And how great he did on a test.

Kind of weird, at 15 I felt like I was his dad or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    monsanto manage to be evil, they just avoid doing it through producing crops that cause cancer aids

they do it through horrendous business practices and suing everybody and firing penises out of large cannons

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Considering there's no real evidence GMO food is unsafe to eat, it seems making it so you can't prosecute people for growing it is a good thing?

1. This is America. We should never be barring "people" from civil suits; they can win or lose on their own merit.

2. I'm not worried about "people". I'm worried that the FDA, the regulatory body overseeing food production in the US, is no longer able to regulate.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    one of my relatives posted a picture of his kid with the caption
    "Dylan just ate a cup full of butter. #pauladeenreincarnated"

kids lol gross

poo
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The thing I find interesting about gravity being a 'weak' force, is gravity is the force that shaped everything. Like, gravity forms stars and planets, directs orbits, which cause the seasons on Earth, and established the pattern of stars in the sky, which was a major influence in human development.

I consider gravity to be the most influential force in the universe in how it affects everything about everything we do.

But like

without the electromagnetic force there wouldn't be stars in the sky! Or anything but superdense black holes, probably.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also @podly i woke up at 5:30pm and ate croissants with nutella

soon i shall wake up when it is night and i shall have completed

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    i cannot imagine ever being to pay for my kid's tuition but my parents paid for mine so i just shouldn't have kids cuz it wouldn't be fair to them

Mine was a combo of loans, grants, scholarships, parents, and me

and this was for a state school

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

-- a noticeable percentage of the public voice chat is in Spanish, which shouldn't be surprising, but for some reason it is.
    -- there are LOTS of little kids that are more than eager to make friends with anyone else who will talk back to them on there. It's cute, in a wholly frightening, "goddamn just how little attention are these guys getting from their parents anyway?" kinda way.
    -- and overall there is VERY little negative trash talk, like once every 15th match some guy says "you all are a bunch of fucking idiots" right before you lose (they don't say anything prior to that) so really Xbox Live's reputation as a den of negativity is very widely overblown at this point (although I haven't played CoD for years so who knows what the fuck is happening over there)

It's been this way since counterstrike's voice chat thing. Sure you'd get annoying fuckers, and kids that fucked my mom, but a lot of them just liked to talk about things they were doing or interesting stuff, especially if you frequented a server. I had one kid that followed me no matter what team I played on. Always telling me about his goings on in school. And how great he did on a test.

The main thing young kids get from playing online is being treated like they're much older, in a constrained environment where they can compete at a basically equal level.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

They all play jailbreak now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCo0H1ykhxw

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2013
    spool32 wrote: »

SCIENCE IS GOOD AND TRUE

Well, it mostly is. They're just patenting genes/DNA sequences (?). The science they're doing was most likely perfected in a university.

So, they're still bad and evil.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

SCIENCE IS GOOD AND TRUE

We all have are idiot cousin faction :P

I mean, GMO generally, and Monsanto specifically, are terrible environmentally, and that's the angle at which regulations should come.

Attacking the food itself is about as intelligent as the moron environmentalists protesting nuclear power.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @msmya

Meet people at work! Ask people on your team if they want to go out for lunch as a group. Don't worry if the ages don't mesh up. I've made work friends a few years away from retirement. Go to Juicy Burger in Ballston Spa. My work buddies and I originally became friends because of our weekly lunches.

Don't worry about your parents. You're smart and you're successful. You're doing a hell of a lot better than most people in their mid-20s. If that's not enough for them, tough shit. Don't let them undermine your self-confidence.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »

hey idiot @podly

its .net not .com

poo
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, Monsanto is an awful, awful monster.

Trains on time, etc.

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular

Huh, that's so funny to me for some reason...

But I'm always interested in how there seems to be like little cultures that go along with each game. Halo has the most little kids that I've come across (makes sense, low on the blood and gore) and I play tons of FIFA which is obviously pretty much Spanish language dominated in the online matches. But the team-centric games I liked to play the most (Battlefield, Monday Night Combat, Team Fortress) always seem to have the highest # of normal adults that just wanted to play nice and be normal (makes sense since they're co-op-y).

But yeah, I worry for the little kids, man...

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Then you throw the humanitarians and the environmentalist loons into the mix and you have a leftwing clusterfuck that is impressive to watch.
    Yeah, I sure wouldn't want to be a member of the left wing right now; way too much crazy coming out of there.

Hey, did you see that Republican Congressman calling Mexicans "wetbacks," earlier? And then not apologizing for it?

• Options
    but than that's just what they used to call them back in the day

poo
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

shaz is a smart boy

.net

residentadvisor.net/dj/spssky

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

SCIENCE IS GOOD AND TRUE

To be fair, when was the last time you heard about a study funded by big business that didn't arrive at precisely the conclusions that best maximize short-term earning potential?

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Honestly I don't have a lot of people at work I'd want to be "more than " coworkers with .

I'm worried about my parents commenting on my $$$ purchases

msmya on
  • Options

SCIENCE IS GOOD AND TRUE

We all have are idiot cousin faction :P

I mean, GMO generally, and Monsanto specifically, are terrible environmentally, and that's the angle at which regulations should come.

Attacking the food itself is about as intelligent as the moron environmentalists protesting nuclear power.
    There is no evidence that GMO food is unsafe to eat, but if we were to come across such evidence, this law would still protect Monsanto. If we were to discover that they were concealing such evidence, this law would still protect them. It's bullshit.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    http://www.salon.com/2013/03/27/how_the_monsanto_protection_act_snuck_into_law/

Regardless of where you stand on genetically modified food, you should give a bit of a fuck when Monsanto turns the political system into its very own sock puppet and starts passing laws that directly benefit them without any regulation.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Yeah, I sure wouldn't want to be a member of the left wing right now; way too much crazy coming out of there.

Hey, did you see that Republican Congressman calling Mexicans "wetbacks," earlier? And then not apologizing for it?

Just because the other side is more nuts doesn't mean there aren't nuts on the Left.

Though, the main difference being, the nuts on the Left are completely marginalized, even by the Left. They aren't in control of party policy.

• Options
    msmya wrote: »
    Honestly I don't have a lot of people at work I'd want to be "more than " coworkers with .

I'm worried about them commenting on my $$$ purchases

wut?

I'm confused!

What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?

• Options

I missed it. Did that happen on the same day the Alabama Congressman called a white dude's family slave-owning baby rapers? And then didn't apologize for it?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    shalmelo wrote: »

SCIENCE IS GOOD AND TRUE

To be fair, when was the last time you heard about a study funded by big business that didn't arrive at precisely the conclusions that best maximize short-term earning potential?
    All the time. In fact, 19 out of 20 studies by big business probably end up that way.

When was the last time they ever published a study like that? Never.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Oh Amazon UK.

5:51 PM (2 minutes ago):

Hello,

We thought you'd like to know that we've dispatched this portion of your order separately to give you a quicker service, at no additional cost to you.

2 X Command Mini Hooks with Command Strips (17006)

5:53 PM (0 minute ago)

Hello,

We thought you'd like to know that we've dispatched the remainder of your items and that this completes your order.

Command Mini Hooks with Command Strips (17006)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    Engineer -- right out of college.

• Options
    http://www.salon.com/2013/03/27/how_the_monsanto_protection_act_snuck_into_law/

Regardless of where you stand on genetically modified food, you should give a bit of a fuck when Monsanto turns the political system into its very own sock puppet and starts passing laws that directly benefit them without any regulation.

So start giving a fuck 30 years ago.

On it.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    YES LET'S DO THIS THING WHERE WE PICK AND CHOOSE HORRIBLE PEOPLE AND CLAIM THEY ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF ~50% OF THE POPULATION

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    i'm friends with a large number of my coworkers

some i hang out with outside of work

god i would be so sad if i wasn't

poo
  • Options
    YES LET'S DO THIS THING WHERE WE PICK AND CHOOSE HORRIBLE PEOPLE AND CLAIM THEY ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF ~50% OF THE POPULATION

OK!

Half the nation refuses to tip.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i'm friends with a large number of my coworkers

some i hang out with outside of work

god i would be so sad if i wasn't

I am nervous as shit about getting along with lab mates.

• Options
    edited March 2013

I missed it. Did that happen on the same day the Alabama Congressman called a white dude's family slave-owning baby rapers? And then didn't apologize for it?
    What you are talking about literally never happened.

Though, if you'd like to talk about things said by state legislators, then we can start bringing up the Republican stance of "slavery was good for black people."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The thing I find interesting about gravity being a 'weak' force, is gravity is the force that shaped everything. Like, gravity forms stars and planets, directs orbits, which cause the seasons on Earth, and established the pattern of stars in the sky, which was a major influence in human development.

I consider gravity to be the most influential force in the universe in how it affects everything about everything we do.

But like

without the electromagnetic force there wouldn't be stars in the sky! Or anything but superdense black holes, probably.

Redundant! A black hole by definition has infinite density!

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

OK!

Half the nation refuses to tip.

whatpppppppp.jpg

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.