Options

Telenarcotic : my new comic idea, pages added daily

jwaddjwadd Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Artist's Corner
I've been kicking around this project idea for a while. I just picked up a drawing tablet and have been trying to make some finished looking layouts/pages. I consider this image unfinished because I have not yet added shadows or lighting effects. Thanks in advance for any critiques/feedback.
Syi4VaEl.jpg
NvpV3Vnl.jpg
5H9uOSrl.jpg
RbpdWBul.jpg

jwadd on

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    What exactly is the "humor?"

This seems like its going more for a como se dice non sequiter? Not sure that's the best word for it.

From an art standpoint, I like your lines and the minimal shading works well. Work on your figures though. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Manga/chibi stuff, but if that's the style you want, I'd study other Manga artists techniques to make them a bit more dynamic.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I think we really need more than one page to get a feel for what you are doing here.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Juggernut wrote: »
    What exactly is the "humor?"

This seems like its going more for a como se dice non sequiter? Not sure that's the best word for it.

From an art standpoint, I like your lines and the minimal shading works well. Work on your figures though. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Manga/chibi stuff, but if that's the style you want, I'd study other Manga artists techniques to make them a bit more dynamic.

the humor is definitely non sequitor ish..., i guesss im going for more of a battle comic with the occasional quirky thing

the art style is meant to be a fusion of manga/chibi with more neutral faces... certain elements of manga have always bugged me despite how much i read both american/japanese/korean comics

jwadd on
  • Options
    XzbeatXzbeat Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    Are you doing any sort of form construction beneath your characters or just drawing them as you picture them?

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Are you doing any sort of form construction beneath your characters or just drawing them as you picture them?
    yeah I have 2 bone / sketch layers that are hidden for anything drawn, so whatever is on this rough draft is drawn at least 4 times

• Options
    Everything you've posted looks a bit flat to me. Have you tried building your characters from simple shapes before giving them details? Spheres, blocks, cones, wedges etc?

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Everything you've posted looks a bit flat to me. Have you tried building your characters from simple shapes before giving them details? Spheres, blocks, cones, wedges etc?
    It's supposed to look that way, and I haven't added any shadows that would give the shapes depth otherwise.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what is going on in this comic.

• Options
    Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    It was one page, and then jwadd added in a few more? So I don't think the pages are sequential.
    From the impressions I get from the backgrounds in these drawings I don't think you're going to create much depth. But maybe you should post some finished pages, so the excuse of unfinished work is out of the way.

Lewis Rice on
  • Options
    FellegranteFellegrante Registered User new member
    It's a challenge to understand what's happening. Are these pages sequential? Is that profile page of Jax for the girl, or the guy who came before?
    jwadd wrote: »
    I've been kicking around this project idea for a while. I just picked up a drawing tablet and have been trying to make some finished looking layouts/pages. I consider this image unfinished because I have not yet added shadows or lighting effects. Thanks in advance for any critiques/feedback.
    Syi4VaEl.jpg
    NvpV3Vnl.jpg
    5H9uOSrl.jpg
    RbpdWBul.jpg

• Options
    Lewis Rice wrote: »
    It was one page, and then jwadd added in a few more? So I don't think the pages are sequential.
    From the impressions I get from the backgrounds in these drawings I don't think you're going to create much depth. But maybe you should post some finished pages, so the excuse of unfinished work is out of the way.
    I'm posting them as they become more finished. Text is the most unfinished thing right now, I'm trying to get a good sense of pacing for the amount of text on each page.
    Currently there are gaps, as many as 2 pages missing in between each page, I'll fix that today after I finish housework. right now I have 10-15 pages in my head and maybe 8 have finished, so in a few days it will be more sequential and in order.

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    You really need to just study some anatomy and traditional drawing from life. You're getting ahead of yourself working digitally and your figures aren't constructed solidly enough to really carry a comic.

Seconding Lewis' advice that you finish a thing and stop skipping around. Do you have any art from outside this comic to share so we can get a better sense of where you're at?

header_image_sm.jpg