Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #3

1789101113»

• SebmojoSebmojo Registered User new member
    Just as another $.02, I read this entire thread before looking at both comics - and I think M and J were right. Lexxy's is beautiful, and her characters are absolutely vibrant, but Tav's is a better webcomic. And funnier too, I admired Lexxy's rather than found it particularly funny. Still a nasty decision to have to make.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    altlat55 wrote: »
    I don't think the elimination challenge comic they made at PAX would have won too many eliminations.

Probably not, but it does give insight into their state of mind as to what they consider acceptable integration of the words offerred.

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Cambiata wrote: »
    One thing I find pretty interesting is that at least from the footage, Mike's gut reaction will show you which strip will win in the end.

Mike laughed at Katie's first round, didn't understand Alex's, Katie wins.

Jerry actually said he liked Ty's joke, while Mike said that joke made him angry. Katie wins.

Mike laughs aloud at Tavis' comic, only smiles at Lexxy's, despite being wow'd by her art. Tavis wins.

"Make Mike laugh" seems like the deciding factor in everything so far. It's one of the reasons I think Abby has a better chance than might appear; she's a very funny young lady.

Mike and Jerry's respective styles of humor diverge pretty widely when either is left to his own devices. Obviously bringing them together is what gives us the splendid magic that is Penny Arcade, but I suspect they might feel (and possibly with some good reason) that Mike's style is more indicative of what's going to be successful with a larger audience.

Gaslight on
    bowen wrote: »
    The bacteria in your poop exist everywhere.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I hadn't been paying super close attention, do new episodes go live at midnight?

Instagram:
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yes, but I'm not sure on time zone?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Pacific. So, four hours from now.

Get on board the Late Strip with the rest of us!

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Had a look at Abby's site yesterday, laughed my ass off at most of it. I think she'll be able to bring it in an elimination. And Mike and Jerry have just shown us that the art isn't the most important thing they consider, so her more simple style shouldn't work against her.

CambiataDexOZBucho
  • MuffinsMuffins Registered User regular
    Wow, Mike really ripped into Abby there at the end. Mike really doesn't seem the type to be that kind of guy, I only imagine the pressure really was that hard on him.

I still feel sympathetic for Abby though. :|

• lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    Ellethe wrote: »
    I'm insanely hooked on this show and seeing the contestants at PAX East felt like seeing a celebrity in public lmao. However, seeing Scott in that episode reminded me that Graham Stark has the personality of dry toast. I say ditch Graham for someone with more, any personality, like... Scott maybe ;)

I'd taken to not calling him "Graham" or "Graham Stark" and instead naming him the Wood Post Host (w/ the most). (sidenote ahaha that rhymes with dry toast)

He is actually pretty funny when he wants to be, especially off-the-cuff, and actually has feelings... but we never see any of that in this show. At the Strip Search panel at PAX East he was kinda directly asked about this and said something to the effect of yes he had lots of emotions and feelings but tried to never show them and always hold everything in (maybe something else in his life was affecting him?), but I feel it hurt the show b/c he just comes off so wooden & stiff. He was not like that at all when hosting the PAX panel.

Both Top Chef & Top Chef Canada had to replace their 1st season hosts because of this exact issue.

I would just like the Wood Post Host to open up, maybe use those stand-up comic skillz and make some funny remarks, maybe show some feels. I'm not sure a replacement would be necessary.

It's my understanding that he also is the one interviewing the contestants and doing most of the editing as well, so if they could afford to have a different host, maybe it would be good and lighten his load a bit?

• DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    The way the show is edited, he seems less like a host, and more like a narrator. And having the narrator be deadpan and strictly informative without interjecting humour and opinions is totally fine to me.

TinklesCambiatazerzhulNijhazerElbasunuBuchoKoopahTroopahLesStewart
  • SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    Devonin wrote: »
    The way the show is edited, he seems less like a host, and more like a narrator. And having the narrator be deadpan and strictly informative without interjecting humour and opinions is totally fine to me.

I agree. I always wondered at people making comments about Graham's wooden delivery. To me, I like him being unobtrusive. I'm watching the show for the artists, not Graham. If I want to see Graham be funny I'll go watch Checkpoint. (Which I do.)

I honestly like Graham as the straight man on Strip Search. Mike and Jerry ham it up enough to make up for any woodenness on his part.

I think the initial problem was that Graham's ADR in the first episode was off somehow. They've since fixed it, but first impressions stay with you.

Instagram:
    Bucho
    I honestly didn't even notice that. I heard people mention it but I didn't notice it during my first watch and didn't go back and look for it.

Dark Raven X
    Yea I don't think people are looking for the host to be a slapstick comedy guy taking away from the contestants as you seem to have interpreted mine and others' comments... I just want him to seem like a person and not a robot.

A good host of a reality show adds something to the show, sometimes as much as or moreso than the judges (not going to be the case here I think, but still). They shouldn't just be a disembodied voice over automaton / narrator. And even if they were just a narrator - there should be some inflection in their voice, i.e. "In a world...". Even my GPS has more inflection in it's soulless uncaring "voice".

Seriously, just watch an episode from the first season of Top Chef, and then an episode from _any_ other season. It's incredible the difference in the energy of the show made by an engaging host. Hell, I think that show would have only lasted 2 seasons with the original host, and yet it went on to be a phenomenon making untold amounts of cash, lasting 10+ seasons + several spinoffs, and winning lots of awards in the process. (I keep bringing it up, b/c it seems like the only reality show other than Strip Search with integrity, and that's why I like it). Top Chef's done the same mistake on two of its spinoffs too (Masters & Canada), and replaced both of them for the exact same reason after the first season as well.

Graham (on Strip Search, not on LRR) reminds me sooooo much of that original TC host (Katie Lee Joel), but b/c I seem him everywhere else not being like that so unlike her it's done semi-purposely. I think he's just channeling/forcing that persona so hard that he's overdoing it (or channeling bad examples)... and it makes me sad. He was entertaining, engaging, and hilarious at PAX East without "stealing the spotlight", so to speak, from the contestants or Mike & Jerry. I want the PAX East host Graham on Strip Search! :(

I never indicated that you wanted Graham to become slapstick. It's obvious what people want, since they talk about his personality on Checkpoint. I just disagree about that being appropriate here.

He's the straight man, the info dump. He's there to give the contestants and audience the information they need, not to be funny. That's his role on the show. His whole job is to be clear and concise, get the information out there, and let the show focus on the contestants. I do not think him being more funny or engaging would add anything substantial to the show.

And frankly, I think it's nonsense that he's unpersonable on Strip Search. He's dry, sure, but I don't see the robot everyone else seems to be seeing just because he's playing it straight.

I mean, at the end of the day if people want Graham to ham it up a bit more and engage more, that's fine. I wouldn't hate that. I'm just expressing my opinion that I don't think it's necessary.

Cambiata
    lamelama22 wrote: »
    Seriously, just watch an episode from the first season of Top Chef, and then an episode from _any_ other season. It's incredible the difference in the energy of the show made by an engaging host. Hell, I think that show would have only lasted 2 seasons with the original host, and yet it went on to be a phenomenon making untold amounts of cash, lasting 10+ seasons + several spinoffs, and winning lots of awards in the process. (I keep bringing it up, b/c it seems like the only reality show other than Strip Search with integrity, and that's why I like it).

But Graham spends 2 minutes saying "Here's what you're going to do today" and then says "You have X time left" a few times and that's about it. His involvement with the process is so small compared to the artists and judges, that it could actually have been done off camera, and have us provided with either voice-overs only, or title cards for all the difference it would make.

You'll notice that even when he's interacting with the judges while they are judging, he pretty much restricts himself to objective statements and observations. He usually only says things like "They did X" rather than "I think Y about X" because he spends more time with them than any other member of the show's staff, and knows he's being influenced by that interaction.

I think he's doing exactly the job he should be doing.

Oh, another thought. The reason I'm happy with Graham downplaying himself so much is how short the episodes are. I can already see as much LRR stuff as I want if I want to see Graham be a funny guy. That's not why I'm here. I'm here for the artists.

Make the episodes 20 minutes longer, and I'm happy to see 5 more minutes of funny host interaction.

DexOZ
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Graham is doing a great job, exactly what is required and no more.

DevoninElbasunuFyndirtynicspool32SassoriLesStewart
    edited April 2013
    Devonin wrote: »
    You'll notice that even when he's interacting with the judges while they are judging, he pretty much restricts himself to objective statements and observations. He usually only says things like "They did X" rather than "I think Y about X" because he spends more time with them than any other member of the show's staff, and knows he's being influenced by that interaction.

Yea that's true... it's so easy to forget he's doing _all_ the interviews _and_ the editing too, and so he probably knows them better than anyone else.

The dryness just really really bugs me, and it seems about half the commenters too - the other half like you guys responding to me seem fine with him, which I understand - it really is a personal preference to how dry you like your toast or how much you like wood (j/p) ;). In that case if there is a Season 2, I would love a different host (someone else suggested Kurtz if he's not judging), someone less attached to the production who could bring an emotion to the show or behave like a person. I'd suggest Kris Straub if possible.

lamelama22 on
    I just find it rude to say things like "Behave like a person." Prefer more engaging hosts if you like, but try not to be insulting. Just because Graham isn't making you laugh or something doesn't mean he's not behaving like a person. Even if I didn't know Graham can be funnier and more engaging, if Strip Search was all I knew of him, I would still say he comes across as a nice, well mannered guy.

I'm just saying, it's one thing to wish for more engagement, but saying things like he's wooden, a robot, or especially not behaving like a person come across as insulting to me. Of course, I'm sure Graham has heard a lot worse from the internet.

LesStewart
  • Isaac22Isaac22 Registered User new member
    I liked lexxy's comic better, I didn't fully get tavis's and even when I did I thought it was nice but nothing special. I would have kept lexxy. though if I was having that much trouble I might just keep them both. I guess you don't want the show to go on forever though. still, my vote was for lexxy, all the way. far better art and I liked the writing better too. this show is good. as an aspiring graphic storytelling artist, it's inspiring. thank you :)

eiaboca
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Had a look at Abby's site yesterday, laughed my ass off at most of it. I think she'll be able to bring it in an elimination. And Mike and Jerry have just shown us that the art isn't the most important thing they consider, so her more simple style shouldn't work against her.

Abby's site cracks me up too. I mean literal laughs out loudly on the regular. And looking at her Tumblr it's clear she's capable of more "sophisticated" imagery, which lead me back to look more closely at her JSPH and recognize that while her art isn't as pretty as what you might see elsewhere it's still deceptively expressive.

Part of me wonders what it'd be like if she decided to partner with a more experienced artist while taking on the Jerry role for herself, because she obviously has an abundance of the funny in her, but at the same time I wouldn't want her to stop drawing her own stuff because I've kind of fallen in love with her "ugly"-but-effective style.

Cambiata wrote: »
    I think the initial problem was that Graham's ADR in the first episode was off somehow. They've since fixed it, but first impressions stay with you.

I think this is exactly it. In the first episode the mishandled ADR was wildly distracting, but since they fixed it I've had no problems with his voice or manner at all.

Bucho on
    Cambiata
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    His audio in the first episode was mega distracting.

Cambiata
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Graham also made a Kurtz is a troll joke in the previous episode. It was quiet, but it was there.

steam_sig.png
    dejavu,again
  • eiabocaeiaboca Registered User new member
    Nooooooo! Lexxy's comic was so good! Tavis's was okay. I think Lexxy should have been in the running to be the final one or two in the house. Booo.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Graham also made a Kurtz is a troll joke in the previous episode. It was quiet, but it was there.

His humor is dry. That's sort of his thing. He just doesn't crack wise in Strip Search because he's basically the moderator and can't break character to snidely snipe at the contestants or the judges.

Twenty Sided on
  • RichKRichK Registered User new member
    Both comics were really good. Way better than maybe they should have been, with the topic they got handed.

Lexxy's piece was so classy though, I kind of feel like they made the wrong decision. Muted, not over the top, the subtle chuckle on the last panel, a nice pause in there... I'm really sad for her. I really thought it was a winner. And from a pure cartoonist point of view, I really thought it was just classic. More in the style of the Sunday funnies (though a bit ribald) rather than a webcomic. Maybe that was what decided it in the end, I don't know.

You rock Lexxy. That's the bottom line I guess.

CambiataLexxySpman2099
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    I never really had a problem with Graham, he's to the point and all business. I don't think there has been a reason to get a bit more personal, there haven't been any freak outs or people crying that demanded it. At this moment he is host/narrator and does a good enough job. Plus the first time around is always hard, should they do a second season I am sure he will be a bit more confident in his way.

That being said people talking about Top Chef made me think of Iron Chef US and their host and seeing Graham act like that. "Today's secret challenge is.... Magic the Gathering!! So now America, with an open heart and an empty piece of paper, I say unto you in the words of my uncle: Allez le crayon!!". I can't help it, it is stuck in my head now

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    So far as I can tell, Graham is doing his job like a pro. Great poise, clear instructions, neutral position in the house. If Graham is entertaining the audience, we're not watching reality TV any more.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    realmslover
  • Lingering GrinLingering Grin Registered User regular
    Psst, Jerry, you're not suppose to laugh ;)

Scorch62
  • MagnulusMagnulus Registered User new member
    Lexxy was the CLEAR winner to my eyes. I find this episode really weird. (Yeah, I know. I'm late)

• Peter PanzerPeter Panzer Registered User new member
    I liked Lexxy's better and I was really amazed and impressed by her piece BUT unfortunately... and I am surprised no one noticed it it... the semantic continuity of her strip is totally disturbed by one slip-up.

• FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    Just rewatched and still think Tavis is the clear winner. Lexxy is a phenomenal artist and I wish her well, but Tavis' comic had more nuance. I understand now with the anti Pax publicity that there was another agenda to some of the comments here, but it's a stretch.

• Jack7070Jack7070 Registered User new member
    thank you for the blog.

1789101113»