Options

Upgrading My PC, Recommend Some Games

CatrelStevensCatrelStevens Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
So I got S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and some extra RAM for my birthday. The game still runs pretty crappy, so I'm ordering a new video card. While researching a new card, I discovered my computer is pretty upgradeable. Here's the system I'll have when my new card arrives in a couple days:

3.0GHz Pentium 4
1GB DDR RAM (might buy more soon, depending on how video card runs)
512MB nVidia Geforce 7600GS
CD/DVD
Windows XP

Before this upgrade, I only had 512MB RAM and a GeForce PCX 5300, so I've been ignoring PC gaming for awhile. Besides S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, the newest PC game I've played is Half-Life 2. I'm asking you homps to fill me in on what PC gaming goodness I've missed over the past 2 1/2 years.

I mostly play First/Third Person Shooters, RPGs, and Simulation games, but I'm open to anything (especially if it has a demo). What do you think I should play?

CatrelStevens on

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm a sucker for Battlefield games (2142). I'd recommend d/l the demo for Supreme Commander or C&C 3 (is there one?) if you want to try an RTS.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      edited March 2007
      Silent Hunter 4. It's the Grand Theft Auto of submarine games and you can play it in an arcade-like fashion or as realistic as you want. It's also very cinematic and very gorgeous.

Dashui on
      Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • Options
      FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
      edited March 2007
      Give Oblivion a whirl if you like huge, open-ended RPGs.

Firebrand on
    • Options
      wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
      edited March 2007
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I'm a sucker for Battlefield games (2142). I'd recommend d/l the demo for Supreme Commander or C&C 3 (is there one?) if you want to try an RTS.

Company of Heroes. Demo. Now.

wenchkilla on
      gamingsig.jpg
      PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
    • Options
      lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
      edited March 2007
      Checkout BF 2142 for sure, FEAR, and Condemned are really fun games if you're into the first person thing ,Condemned is a pretty unique game.

lazerbeard on
    • Options
      freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
      edited March 2007
      I've only seen Condemned for the 360. I bet it's pretty sweet on the PC.

Very immersive motion and melee mechanics.

freshmasterfresh on
      happysig.png
    • Options
      edited March 2007
      I've played Condemned, F.E.A.R., and Oblivion on the 360. Both are excellent games. I'll look into Silent Hunter 4. I'm not sure how a submarine GTA would work, but that makes me more interested. Is there a demo for it? I heard Company of Heroes was pretty good. I'll check out the demo. I used to play Total Annihilation long ago, and I've been wondering about Supreme Commander, but I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I'm downloading the demo for Silverfall, anyone know if it's any good?

CatrelStevens on
    • Options
      NorayNoray Registered User regular
      edited March 2007
      Hitman: Blood Money. I don't care what your history with the Hitman franchise is, you must play this game. It's my computer GOTY of 2006. Excellent, amazingly replayable game, caters to many different styles of play. Don't let the demo put you off, it's a very rigid tutorial mission that does not really represent the game very well at all.

Rainbow Six Vegas is, in my opinion, the best shooter since Half-Life 2. I found it better than Gears of War also.

Company of Heroes is a must if you like RTS games, I'd say. I'm not a fan of the genre and I found the game amazing.

Noray on
    • Options
      VashinVashin Registered User regular
      edited March 2007
      Dawn of war!

the best RTS since warcraft 3 in my opinion

Vashin on
      megadoomer311.png
      Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
    • Options
      edited March 2007
      Hitman: Blood Money is pretty damned good. I played that on the 360 as well. I also tried the demo of Rainbow Six: Las Vegas on the 360, but I didn't enjoy it too much. I'm not sure what it was about it that put me off, but I just didn't get into it. My brother has Dawn of War, so I've played that a little. With the expansions that have come out since, I may have to take another look at it. In the same vein, I'm wondering if Warhammer: Mark of Chaos will run ok on my new set-up. If so, I'll have to check that out. (I used to play warhammer an 40k way back in the day.) These are all good suggestions, keep 'em coming if you can.

CatrelStevens on