As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - In Anders we Trust

1939495969799»

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I don't know a thing about swords. Someone's gotta fill me in on the joke here.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Basically, there are a fair number of folks who think, due to years of fiction and fictitious non-fiction, that a Katana is pretty much a lightsaber, able to cut through almost any material, a sophisticated weapon of the mysterious east, far beyond the crude chunks of metal swung by clumsy knights, who, if you knocked them on their backs, would not even be able to get up, like a sad tortise baking in the sun, because european plate armor weighs totally weighs 1000 pounds.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Katanas are why Europe never tried to conquer Japan, you know!

Not, you know, the fact that it's thousands of miles away and hard to reach for questionable value. No no. Katanas!

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    It's all about the warhammer, especially when fighting guys who are armored.

I doubt maces and war hammers will ever catch on despite their effectiveness against armor. Kinda sad but the fact they aren't as cool and sleek looking as swords seems to make most averse to using them . That is to say if you have a choice in an rpg, odds are most will go for a bladed weapon.

Not that swords are useless or anything , just a tad sad such effective weapons get overlooked because IMO they aren't stylish enough.
    ---
    Admittedly I fall into this trap as well. Unless I'm like creating a giant bruiser type character and I go "big ass hammer works for the concept!"

Egos on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Big ass hammer scares me way more than sword. Sword might lacerate me and requires stitches. Big ass hammer will obliterate my bones.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    From what I understand, the main reason swords have such cultural cachet is that they were relatively expensive, so only noblemen could afford them, and thus they were more glamorous, plus probably the development of the cruciform sword and the rise of Christianity?

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Big ass hammer scares me way more than sword. Sword might lacerate me and requires stitches. Big ass hammer will obliterate my bones.

I was mainly going with the "rule of cool" and what I suspect most people prefer.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Egos wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

I was mainly going with the "rule of cool" and what I suspect most people prefer.

No, I know. I personally don't get it because someone coming at me with, like, a machete or a small sword is way less scary than someone coming at me with a sledgehammer and that only becomes more true as the relative sizes increase.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The great part about a war hammer is in essence, you're beating an armored person like they're a drum. Ignoring the armor piercing spike, the blunt impact goes through the armor and rattles the person inside directly. A hit to limb is going to be incapacitating since they're not as protected, a heavy blow to the chest is going to leave you anywhere between momentarily stunned, gasping for air or knocking you out.

This was good, because high quality plate was not only arrow proof, but bullet proof. Late period plate was tested to withstand bullets, and if it didn't, it was considered defective. You can still see the test bullet markings on many cuirass pieces in museums. At the battle of Lepanto, one high ranking guy's chest was hit by a Turkish culverin shot, essentially light artillery. The result? The armor held, but the compression shattered the guy's ribcage and he died of asphyxiation. The armor was 99% fine.

TL:DR, don't mess with plate armor. :P

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

Basically, in the Old Testament, God gave the world three gifts: light, Himself, and katanas. There's a lot of montage segments in the apocrypha about Noah training with his katana every day until the flood receded and becoming the first samurai, or David wielding his hundred-fold daishō against Goliath and rending him into thirty pieces, or King Arthur dual-wielding Masamune and Murasame to repel the Mongols. Thousands of years of church politics later, this stuff got scrubbed and replaced with dumb shit no one would ever want to use anyway, like slings (are you kidding me) and hammers (a peasant's weapon), or suppressed completely. There's lively debate in the theological community about it, but the general consensus involves Lollard sects of filthy gaijin (originally translated as sinner) infecting the Vatican conclave during the rise of Rome, while emperor Optimus Prime's attention was caught by the wildling invasion.

Interesting stuff, anyway.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    The great part about a war hammer is in essence, you're beating an armored person like they're a drum. Ignoring the armor piercing spike, the blunt impact goes through the armor and rattles the person inside directly. A hit to limb is going to be incapacitating since they're not as protected, a heavy blow to the chest is going to leave you anywhere between momentarily stunned, gasping for air or knocking you out.

This was good, because high quality plate was not only arrow proof, but bullet proof. Late period plate was tested to withstand bullets, and if it didn't, it was considered defective. You can still see the test bullet markings on many cuirass pieces in museums. At the battle of Lepanto, one high ranking guy's chest was hit by a Turkish culverin shot, essentially light artillery. The result? The armor held, but the compression shattered the guy's ribcage and he died of asphyxiation. The armor was 99% fine.

Yup! :D

• Options
    All this weapon talking is making me realize how much I miss "Conquest" on History Channel

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Talking about "Conquest" makes me realize how much I miss history on History Channel

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Aliens.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    All this weapon talking is making me realize how much I miss "Conquest" on History Channel

I'm not saying it was the blood mages...
    but it was blood mages.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Basically, in the Old Testament, God gave the world three gifts: light, Himself, and katanas. There's a lot of montage segments in the apocrypha about Noah training with his katana every day until the flood receded and becoming the first samurai, or David wielding his hundred-fold daishō against Goliath and rending him into thirty pieces, or King Arthur dual-wielding Masamune and Murasame to repel the Mongols. Thousands of years of church politics later, this stuff got scrubbed and replaced with dumb shit no one would ever want to use anyway, like slings (are you kidding me) and hammers (a peasant's weapon), or suppressed completely. There's lively debate in the theological community about it, but the general consensus involves Lollard sects of filthy gaijin (originally translated as sinner) infecting the Vatican conclave during the rise of Rome, while emperor Optimus Prime's attention was caught by the wildling invasion.

Just wanted to highlight, and applaud.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Talking about "Conquest" makes me realize how much I miss history on History Channel

hey, I liked Peter Woodward. He did go into the history of the weapon and such and seemed rather enthusiastic about it vs. just putting on a show (R Lee Emery)

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

yeah but how much aggro does it generate

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Oh tons, the super blingy stuff wasn't terribly practical and was used for tournaments or showing off. But still, lords and nobles loved their armor, and custom war gear not only improved your odds of staying alive, it was a sign of how big a badass you were. Peasants were the ones who died in droves, nobles fought with the best weapons, armor and horses and it wasn't rare that they treated war like a super exciting football game. People did die, some times a lot of people, but upper class warriors had several levels of protection including the odds you would be ransomed by your enemies.

Ironically, tournaments which most people think of today as non lethal kind you see at Ye Old Medieval Restaurant, were sometimes as bloody as actual full scale battles complete with burning villages and screaming peasants.

Basically, war was pay to win on an individual level. :P And also kind of like G-Gundam.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    screw katanas. bring back the good ol' killy weapons.

warhammers, knives, spears, maces. ded simple to make. Ded simple to use.

that and its funny watching modern weapons club videos on YouTube. Unless the katana user is a very experienced user, they were getting wiped by people with euro weapons. Of course, only point systems can be used in sparring since breaking bones and lacerations are frowned upon...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I'd sooner see scimitars make it into the game.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I've always been a big fan of the Glaive and Bardiche, myself. C'mon Bioware, give me polearms in DA:I!

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular

Just wanted to highlight, and applaud.

The red sea? Katana.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative A duck!. Closing thread...

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Don't bother making another, guys. The last few pages of this thread are fucking awful.

This discussion has been closed.