Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Street Art

• Candy SmugglerCandy Smuggler Registered User new member
    Everytime i watch this show i get sucked in deeper into team Katie fandom. Actually squeed when katie/maki/mac won.

NotaCylonescape908Weaselsoup
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I was a little sad Amy-Abby-Nick didn't win because I like thiers best, but I didn't feel like it was like the obvious choice to win so I'm ok with the choice of the Maki Pineapple.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    NotaCylon
  • NotaCylonNotaCylon Consultant - UN Las CrucesRegistered User regular
    Aww.. Monica is the bunny. Cute :)

• NotaCylonNotaCylon Consultant - UN Las CrucesRegistered User regular
    I have to say, while I'm still rooting for Monica, I love Abby's idea of using crows.

t_wanderer
  • darklaodarklao Registered User regular
    I found this ep and most of the art boooooooring.

Except I'd really like to see a version of the Tavis/Erika/Monica thing where they were working in a medium they were more in control of. Because I liked what I thought I saw it wanting to be.

• eagleagl Registered User regular
    I want to hear it from her, but it sure looked like Amy talked down her role in the challenge in order to ensure that she didn't stand out this time. I'm not sure, in the long run, that conflict avoidance is a desirable characteristic in the PA family. The PA team that we know sometimes seem oblivious to the consequences of their actions until after it happens, and still most of them are happy to quietly excel at whatever it is they are doing and then not get too upset when their excellence is discovered yet again. Avoiding being good at something because there may be a downside to standing out just doesn't seem like a trait conducive to team dynamics.

Or maybe we're reading too much into Amy's strategy, but that sure seems like what is going on and while she may avoid having to pick the next elimination pair, her efforts to avoid excellence may have longer term consequences. At this point )(and of course knowing only what we've been shown in the episodes to date) if I was in the unlikely position of interviewing her for a position in my company, I'd be concerned that she may let personal concerns over-ride her loyalty to the team.

Not that I actually interview anyone or own a company, but still, that's how it's coming across and there is a real world out there beyond the show.

• copperkatcopperkat Registered User regular
    I cannot watch this show every time it comes out anymore. It always makes me want to see the next episode SO BAD. I have to let some build up so that I can binge.

TeeSeaJayDexOZnhaines
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    Great episode, happy with the winners. Already bought a Pineapple Maki t-shirt (Lousy international shipping!)

I assume it pretty much goes without saying, but I wouldn't mind a confirmation that despite the shirt being on Maki's vendor account, I assume all three of you are splitting the proceeds?

• xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    I think I said it two videos ago that I think Amy's strategy isn't the right one. It is a good strategy in a number of reality tv competitions but I think the field on this one is so different that it is working against her.

Nick already noticed that she tried to downplay her part and that she might be trying to fly under the radar. And especially during team challenges geared towards teamwork saying stuff like "oh yeah I was just a laborer" can be lethal. So if she doesn't watch out it could blow up in her face real hard.

And like I said back then I think people like Maki and Monica are better at staying in the middle of the pack without even trying, or maybe even better at hiding their strategy. With Amy it is becoming apparant that she wants to stay there and I do think she is garnering attention because of that. Nothing wrong with staying in the middle, I think a few people there are happy to stay out of the limelight. But again I think her attempts are getting her unwanted attention.

Plus I think in competitions like this, especially early on it is not needed to be in full on meta-game mode.

But yeah I wouldn't be too surprised if this strategy comes back to bite her in the end. And like I also said back then I'd rather have the better artist (although Amy is really good) than the person who played the game the best. I want to see her get through on her own merit as an artist.

eaglSandra Snanthere'saforum?
  • SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    I thought Amy, Abby, and Nick created stunning street art, where as Maki, Mac, and Katie created an iconic piece of graffiti. Pinapple Maki certainly looks more like something I'd wear on a T-Shirt, but the crow concept looks like something I'd tattoo on my body. I mean, the execution was limited by the medium, but it still looked stunning, and the concept was great.

I can see how Pineapple Maki won, especially as judged by graphic designers. Pineapple Maki adheres more to graphic design principles, but I felt the crows were more artistic. (Not saying Erica and Levin aren't artists, by the way.)

The next episode looks cool, I caught glimpses of a lot of cool art.

xdeathknightxSandra SnanCambiataMichyGearyGamercow
  • SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    I think I said it two videos ago that I think Amy's strategy isn't the right one. It is a good strategy in a number of reality tv competitions but I think the field on this one is so different that it is working against her.

Nick already noticed that she tried to downplay her part and that she might be trying to fly under the radar. And especially during team challenges geared towards teamwork saying stuff like "oh yeah I was just a laborer" can be lethal. So if she doesn't watch out it could blow up in her face real hard.

And like I said back then I think people like Maki and Monica are better at staying in the middle of the pack without even trying, or maybe even better at hiding their strategy. With Amy it is becoming apparant that she wants to stay there and I do think she is garnering attention because of that. Nothing wrong with staying in the middle, I think a few people there are happy to stay out of the limelight. But again I think her attempts are getting her unwanted attention.

Plus I think in competitions like this, especially early on it is not needed to be in full on meta-game mode.

But yeah I wouldn't be too surprised if this strategy comes back to bite her in the end. And like I also said back then I'd rather have the better artist (although Amy is really good) than the person who played the game the best. I want to see her get through on her own merit as an artist.

Just pointing out, I don't think Amy is hiding her strategy from the others. I feel like we've seen her discuss with some of the other artists how she thinks it's best to keep a low profile.

xdeathknightxCambiataMichyGeary
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Slaign wrote: »
    Just pointing out, I don't think Amy is hiding her strategy from the others. I feel like we've seen her discuss with some of the other artists how she thinks it's best to keep a low profile.
    Oh she might not be hiding it in a way of being super sneaky about it, but I do think it is already garnering her some unwanted attention. She wants to stay in the middle too hard and people are taking notice. So it is getting to be counter-productive would be my point. And if someone feels you messed up a team effort, which they wanted to win, because you wanted to fly under the radar it could get you into trouble.

And I agree with you on the designs. I think the Pineapple Maki works great as a design on things like shirts and mugs but in terms of graffiti I liked Amy, Abby and Nick's more. I think they judged it a bit harder because Nick had some experience in street art.

xdeathknightx on
    Sandra Snan
  • escape908escape908 Engineer Westbury, NYRegistered User regular
    Pineapple Maki! w00t! :D I like the Maki/Katie teamup! Awesome prize too, I may have to check them out at Comic Con. ^_^ Good episode, but not compelling like some of the past ones have been.

• margiesumargiesu Registered User new member
    Fun episode! I will be buying Grandma Lorrie a pineapple Maki shirt!

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Pineapple Maki needs to be a t-shirt design!

edit: hah, looks it already is. Awesome!

Maz- on
    Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654 | Nintendo Network ID: Maz_PA
    WarribsLatteGrandeKoopahTroopah
  • WarribsWarribs Registered User regular
    We're looking at 92 different shirts you can slam a Pineapple Maki on! What do I pick? What don't I pick...

Jacques L'HommeCrippl3
  • mbnmacmbnmac Registered User regular
    Pineapple Maki needs a Mr Sparkle (simpsons) style ad, where the pineapple just flys around solving problems for people.

My friend has decided that once he gets his Wii, he's gonna gut his GC and use it as a lunchbox.
    TetrisDS; 1133-2701-0503
    MK:DS; 2620-5321-6904
    MP;H:1375-0787-2051
    makitoriCrippl3Maz-
  • drgill1972drgill1972 Registered User regular
    Alright- now for all you creative types:

What goes IN a Pinapple Maki? This totally needs to be this summer's mixed drink of choice.

• metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    Looks like we are finally going to get some art challenges nice. I thought the best piece was the "moster mash" until they just couldn't seem to help themselves from covering it with more and more colors.

One of the better episodes so far, nice to have a nice easy episode after the ringer that was the elimination 3

duddles
  • AradonTemplarAradonTemplar Registered User regular
    That was pretty neat, but what I want to know, is WHY ARE THEY DRAWING CHANDRA NALAAR?

• ShpydarShpydar Brampton, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    A few thoughts on this episode.

1) how freakin cold is it in that house? When it opens, while everyone is waiting for Graham to introduce the challenge, everyone is in the kitchen wearing long sleeve heavy shirts, several wearing layers and hoodies, and two in winter coats, scarves and mittens.

I know that some of them may have just come in from outside but I get the feeling they were all in the kitchen to conserve body warmth.

2) how many people had (like me) written off Maki, Katie, and Mackenzie by the 35 minute left (in the challenge) mark... Only to be shocked at what they produced by the end of the show.

3) how exited I was that Erika's team was going to be making an octopus.... And then how disappointed I was with the outcome (I know spray paint is hard).

4) Amy's comments, just before the art was judged, I found myself yelling at my screen "what are you doing?!" When the challenge was stipulated that it was about collaboration, to claim she didn't contribute much is akin to telling the judges we are the worst, don't pick us and a screw you to her partners.

I know there is discussion about this being part of a strategy on Amy's part, but it doesn't seem to be a good one. If I was Nick or Abby and they win the next challenge I would send Amy to elimination for sabotaging the rewards challenge for them.

5) Only Graham seem to consider Amy's comments that she didn't contribute much when Judging, even though the collaboration in this challenge was reiterated as a major part of this challenge... I expected it to have more weight and discussion from the judges.

Having said all that, for me, Pinapple Maki, was the winner so maybe any complaint about the judging is pointless when there was IMHO such a clear winner.

Shpydar on
    drgill1972 wrote: »

What goes IN a Pinapple Maki? This totally needs to be this summer's mixed drink of choice.
    The Pineapple Maki-

3/5 plain vodka OR rum

1/5 pineapple juice

1/5 sweet vermouth

Serve with black licorice lining top of glass.

There ya go ;)

• drgill1972drgill1972 Registered User regular
    Thanks SHPYDAR. Musta missed that.

That was pretty neat, but what I want to know, is WHY ARE THEY DRAWING CHANDRA NALAAR?

Wow that was a bit of an obscure reference (had to look it up) not sure how many would know you are talking about Magic the Gathering.... Still though not sure who you think was drawing a steam punk armoured woman with fire for hair ....

Which team do you think was drawing CHANDRA NALAAR?

• Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Here are my thoughts:
    1)The grand prize involves not just office space, but having access to the Penny Arcade staff.
    2)I loved Nick-Amy-Abby's, but the Pineapple Maki was really cute and funny.
    3)I'm surprised people are upset at Amy for playing the game. What do you all think the damn point is? To make friends? Anyone in the house who isn't playing to win should feel ashamed for taking up a spot.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    emarecksaykayMichyGeary
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Shpydar wrote: »

Wow that was a bit of an obscure reference (had to look it up) not sure how many would know you are talking about Magic the Gathering.... Still though not sure who you think was drawing a steam punk armoured woman with fire for hair ....

In the preview of the next episode, it looks like they are drawing Chandra Nalaar, which was the PAX East 2013 WotC exclusive Pinny Arcade pin design

vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    zerzhul wrote: »

In the preview of the next episode, it looks like they are drawing Chandra Nalaar, which was the PAX East 2013 WotC exclusive Pinny Arcade pin design

Jeez now I totally see it ...

metfansc wrote: »
    Looks like we are finally going to get some art challenges nice. I thought the best piece was the "moster mash" until they just couldn't seem to help themselves from covering it with more and more colors.

As soon as Tavis said "I was looking at it, and thought it needed more" I'm like "This is Tavis' tragic flaw. He NEVER sticks with what he does the first run through."

Because Wizards are idiots, and left poor Jaya Ballard out to dry.

Elbasunu
  • NaClNaCl Registered User regular
    I was super excited to finally see a real art challenge. Also, did I detect a bit of strategy in Amy's comments? Maybe staying "middle-of-the-road" is a good idea considering how the eliminations are chosen.

On a related note, am I the only one would wouldn't mind seeing an entire series of just elimination challenges. All of the contestants just make a strip every episode with different guidelines (or in groups) and the "weakest" strip is sent home. Just an idea.

• emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    I think Amy's problem is not so much that she's trying too hard to stay in the middle of the pack, it's that none of the other artists have figured out they're actually playing a game yet, so her machinations are for naught. Perhaps she'd have been better served holding off a little longer and collecting some nice prizes (and considering only one person can win out of a very talented pool, consolation prizes are better than none), at least until shit gets real. Of course, it remains to be seen how well Amy's game playing serves her. It could all be really brilliant, we just don't know yet. I think when half their number have been eliminated, and they've been in the house a week, they'll all be playing the game in some fashion or another.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • AradonTemplarAradonTemplar Registered User regular
    Wasn't familiar with the Pinny Arcade stuff, that guess seems the most likely. Would have been neat to see Strip Search art on a promo card somewhere, but a Pinny design is much more probable.
    And I wouldn't thing MtG is that obscure, considering all the WotC advertisement I've seen on the show so far.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

The Pineapple Maki-

3/5 plain vodka OR rum

1/5 pineapple juice

1/5 sweet vermouth

There ya go ;)

I propose replacing the licorice rim with a licorice stick for garnish. The hollow kind, so you can use it as a straw. :D

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Or just "Ron" Registered User regular
    I like Amy the most. She makes me kind of nervous. If I met her, I think I would accidentally puke on her shoes.

MichyGearyNotaCylon
  • ArenowArenow Registered User regular
    Pineapple Maki got me 100%! I really liked to see some teamwork again.
    I expected more from Nick & Co. too, although it was good to see Abby so pumped.

Can't wait for the next episode!

steam_sig.png
    Shpydar
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    I like Amy the most. She makes me kind of nervous. If I met her, I think I would accidentally puke on her shoes.

She does seem to have a certain intensity about her.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Or just "Ron" Registered User regular

She does seem to have a certain intensity about her.

Luckily, this is another theory that I never have to test. I'll take your word for it.

NotaCylon
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I finally see the reason for the Wizards of the Coast tie-in. It looks like they're tasked with drawing a Chandra illustration as if it was a Magic: The Gathering card in the next episode. That is an awesome challenge!

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/multiverse/planeswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/multiverse/planeswalkers/chandra

Edit: Looks like @AradonTemplar beat me to the punch last night. Well spotted!

hotzp on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular

The Pineapple Maki-

3/5 plain vodka OR rum

1/5 pineapple juice

1/5 sweet vermouth

There ya go ;)

I'm going to try that tonight (except for the garnish), but then I'll try my own spin. I'll get back to you with the details, but this has made me want to put together some pineapple and pernod and see what happens.

• SagerotheSagerothe Registered User regular
    I was hoping it'd be on a shirt again...