Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Street Art

• DTtheLEGENDDTtheLEGEND Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    As someone who uses this medium very very often, I was twitching at all the heavy handed mistakes. It looks like Nick had a hand on things though.

Just a few tricks for those of you out there who are curious:

The closer you have the can to the wall, the thinner the line will be.
    The farther away it is, the bigger the line is (see: 7:37)
    You have to be QUICK with your lines too so you don't get those streaks.

I liked alot of it as a whole. I seriously LOVED the wild piece from Erika and Monica's team.

There is alot to be said about the techniques involved. Time has everything to do with it. The great thing here is that you could relax and not have to look over your shoulder. That said, Starting big and going small is in the detail is the right mind set.

A theory about graffiti is that it has to get your attention and "purchase real estate in your mind". That said, the huge yellow/purple octopus works wonders out of all the pieces simply for the clash of style - I mean I completely understand that in graphic design cohesion and clarity are key, but - the piece would work out here in the east coast.

I don't think I would have had the flaming top part of it though.

good show as always

DTtheLEGEND on
    seegruElbasunuNotaCylonBucho
  • TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    I like how Tavis is a great bullshitter compared to the ...resigned honesty of Erika.

CambiatamakitoriNotaCylon
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think people read way to much into small details. It seems obvious that Amy made friends there (since she, Lexxy, and Abby have tweeted each other while Strip Search has been airing. She probably also tweeted others, those are just the ones I happen to notice). There's nothing wrong with making plans for things, and realizing that if x leads to y, then maybe try to avoid x for as long as you can.

I mean we all know that if Lexxy could go back in time she wouldn't have argued so much about her Twitter answers, right? If she had a plan in mind going in to the challenge, then maybe she wouldn't have done that. Amy is a planner, that is not a negative reflection on her character, nor do I really expect the other artists to look down on her for it, because they're better than that.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    Rex BeaversBucho
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Although on the other side of it, I don't think downlplaying her contribution had anything to do with gaming the system at all. I think she just honestly didn't feel like she contributed, which is sad because she obviously did.

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    Elbasunu
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Which is true. We know now at this moment that everybody walked away friends.

Inside the house, though... they do still have to pick someone to send to Mike and Jerry, and the point is Amy's way of trying not to be that someone could very well backfire.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • MichyGearyMichyGeary Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Regarding Amy... While it's possible some of this is strategy, couldn't some of this also be from a confidence issue? After all, she was starstruck upon seeing Erika the first time, and has said that Erika is someone she has looked up to. And Amy is in a competition against Erika. That may be playing tricks with her confidence. Amy is basically just starting out and she's going up against professionals.

I think that's exactly what's going on here. I don't believe that Amy intentionally talked herself down when it came time to discuss her role in the art. I think that the fact that the last two challenges yielded no rewards but putting two people up for elimination scared her and everybody else. Why would anyone WANT to win those? It's alarming. And given that Amy was the first one to have to go through that without any warning, it probably messed with her head. I know it would have for me. Nick had the advantage of knowing that choosing the two elimination artists came with winning the challenges. Amy didn't. She was the guinea pig.

Yes, she discusses wanting to fly under the radar in her interviews. But I can almost guarantee that was just Amy distilling her own fears after examining them in hindsight. I don't think she went into that "I didn't contribute as much" speech on purpose with the sole intention of putting herself in the middle of the pack. I think it was probably an "in the moment" panic, which, yes, stemmed from her fear of putting people up for elimination, but was only something she could have recognized after looking at it with some perspective. And saying, "Yes, that's where that came from," but not, "Yes, that's exactly why I did it."

Amy may be playing some strategies, but I think a lot of it is internalized. Call it first challenge PTSD. I know that would have scared me shitless out of ever wanting to win a challenge ever again. I think that's all that's going on here. But everyone seems to be programmed to look for strategy in Amy. She explained her reaction, but I don't think it was with the express intention of "playing the game."

MichyGeary on
    Cambiata
    Gosling wrote: »
    Which is true. We know now at this moment that everybody walked away friends.

Inside the house, though... they do still have to pick someone to send to Mike and Jerry, and the point is Amy's way of trying not to be that someone could very well backfire.

Well, look at it from the other side.

Artist [whoever] puts Amy up for elimination because "she gets on my nerves, always playing the game."

The rest of the artists see this, who are they going to get mad at, Amy or the person who put her for elmination just because they were annoyed? Based on what we've seen so far, it seems like Artist [whoever] is the one who would get backfired on in that situation.

• DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    Pineapple Maki T-shirt? Please? Pretty please?

So...next week. Based on the sketches I saw, I'm predicting art design for a Magic: The Gathering card, specifically Chandra Nalaar.

Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
    ellipsoid
  • gavindelgavindel You were sent from my sight When your heart grew darker than your nightRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else notice Graham's Bane impression? He was seriously one nudge away from declaring Gotham his plaything.

Mac really came out of his shell there. I think this is the first time I've seen him really grin.

Real creative use of materials by Tavis to make those paint brushes.

Pineapple Maki is awesome, of course. But you know what it REALLY needs?

Companion Mac and Katie pineapples. Both with beards.

Looking for magical girls? Try: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/144223/Sparks
    Maybe more interested in morally dubious shapeshifters and stealing from gods? Try:
    Signature.jpg

makitoriCambiataPaulMcGraniteMekkaBElbasunu
  • KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User, Strip Search regular
    There actually is a Pineapple Maki shirt available already! Maki cleaned up the image and got it on Zazzle, and our team will split up the proceeds...http://www.zazzle.com/pineapple_maki_t_shirt_light-235481872093978534
    Thaaaaaaaaanks Maki!

Also, I'm not sure how to link directly to it but there was some fun happening on twitter that resulted in some more pineapple portraits. :]

zerzhulDevoninMekkaBMichyGearyFranklinBluthViktor WaltersElbasunuCrippl3Shpydar
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    By popular request, Katie and Mac drew their Pineapple alter egos!

Pineapple Katie!
    BHGwsVKCMAAuCoJ.jpg:large

Pineapple Mac!
    BHG6nKYCEAA6ku_.png:large

CambiatafightinfilipinoSnicketysnickgodmodegavindelzerzhulPaulMcGraniteAnialosAvrahamMekkaBFayiliMaz-FyndirAnana11NijhazerGamercowMichyGearyFranklinBluthCampionAzaminoViktor Waltersadx2infinitumadanzepedaElbasunuThe_Glad_HatterTheSpyderlamelama22FalxnhainesMelokuToasticusElfWordTofystedethSassoriTheScrupleShpydarTheRoadVirusJurg
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    Pineapple Mac is simultaneously terrifying and wonderfully awesome.

zerzhulAvrahamadx2infinitumShpydar
    I know it's based on his own self portrait, but pineapple Mac is not kawaii enough. :P

• SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    Pineapple Mac looks to be horrified at his pineappleness.

adx2infinitum
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell The ResistanceRegistered User regular
    makitori wrote: »
    By popular request, Katie and Mac drew their Pineapple alter egos!

Pineapple Mac!
    BHG6nKYCEAA6ku_.png:large

@crwth

CambiataElbasunuCrippl3webofink
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    the resemblance is striking

EzUAYcn.png
    CambiatazerzhulRaslinAvrahamtynicCrippl3webofink
  • korviskorvis Registered User regular
    @Gosling your theory doesn't really sound like it would be that strategically sound. If the combo of words is hard it's not necessarily better to make it easier. That is if you are also making it easier for your opponent.

If I were to guess the redraw coupon is more of a get out of jail free thing. Where if Maki is chosen he would be able to use it for immunity and not get sent to elimination. Someone should try to send him just so he uses it up but I understand no one wants to be the first person to be seen as playing the game.

Redraw is interesting in that it can mean a lot of things. Draw new words? Maybe. And it's not even necessarily about making the words "easier", it might just be that the specific combo of words doesn't provide you with any inspiration, so you need new words so that you can come up with something.

Or it could mean to redraw your comic at the end, although that would be time consuming and stressful. Also what would be the circumstances of redrawing it? Would you get to see both comics before redrawing? It seems too complicated for it to be that, but maybe it is.

I'm not sure I can buy it as just an immunity, because 'redraw' doesn't sound like immunity.

• KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Pineapple Mac has seen some shit...

CambiataGamercowElbasunuwebofink
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Pineapple Katie is perfect.

Fuck off and die.
    Cambiatawebofink
  • GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    First, on the teams:
    Team Maki, Mac, Katie was as Katie said, the team with the most common personalities. They are all quiet, polite, soft spoken people that could easily be bowled over by stronger personalities. They meshed so well because they were all approaching the work from the same mindset. That sounds clinical, but really what I'm saying is that the sum was greater than the parts because of the comfort they felt with each other.

Team Amy, Nick, and Abby was an attempt to show that Abby had talent, and could hang with the two artists that had won the most challenges up to that point. They're both very confident in their own way, and self-assured, while Abby is not very confident, and tends to be self-effacing. I'm not listing that as a weakness, it might just be more of a defense mechanism. I was happy to see her bring her opinions and work into the piece and stand up and be proud of the work. I'm not sure I agree with what Amy had to say, their team seemed very balanced.

Team Tavis, Monica, and Erika was quite interesting to me. Erika and Monica are kind of strong personalities, and can be pretty zany. Maybe I'm just extrapolating that for Monica because I've read her whole archive, and she has some pretty wacky adventures and hijinks. I think they started to go off the rails, and, said "Fuck it", and as Erika said "owned it". With nothing really at stake, they were not going to lose for being meek.

Second, on the designs: Loved both "Pineapple Maki" and "Crows' Descent", and "Octopus God" was great about halfway through, but Pineapple Maki just sealed it for me in the finishing touches. The little diamond, the stem flourishes, etc. Like others have said, Pineapple Maki was awesome graffiti and Crows' Descent was excellent street art.

Finally, on next episode: Immediately spotted Chandra. I'm hoping that the winning design didn't end up being the Chandra pin at Pax East. That would probably ruin the episode for me. But PA has been pretty smart about no spoilers, so I'm thinking not.

Still Team Monica, but honestly will be thrilled for anyone that wins. These are all awesome people.

• seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    I feel a pineapple revolution stirring.

• DVGDVG Registered User regular
    No worries there. The Chandra pin was a Gabe drawing.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    AzaminoElbasunu
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I think all three did a good job, and I actually do think that Tavis/Monica/Erika's piece was pretty decent. I think the best part was actually the three figures, less so the octopus. In any event, the Bearded Pineapple was hands down the best. Just really truly great, and it looked so much like something you might see on an alley wall. Kudos to everyone.

chstreamsig.jpg
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    God damnit, Maki. That zazzle page made me look at your other shirts.

http://www.zazzle.com/octopus_jesus_t_shirt-235217353446397274

I'm going to have to start reading your comic, aren't I?

Automata-Sg.png
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    New poll up on the main site asks, "Who do you think has what it takes to DOMINATE the elimination challenge?!"

Three votes for Alex so far.

#what

Cambiata
  • PeterBmanPeterBman Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I have a feeling that Amy's strategy of losing on purpose is the same as "not wanting to go" to a birthday party you weren't invited to.

PeterBman on
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Very fun episode and the right design won, but why were they wearing masks without filters?

Sandra Snan
  • DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    Was worried about Katie and the Macks with half an hour to go, but Pineapple-Maki turned out fantastic, catches the eye and delivers immediately, the winner for mine.

With another twenty minutes/half an hour, Nick,Amy & Abby could really have brought the depth-of-field to what was a great idea. Also thought that if Erika, Monica & Tavis had stood back and taken a look at what they had with half an hour left on the clock, they might have downed tools because it was looking great at that point.

I only started watching it last night, didn't expect it to grab me like it did, 11 epidodes later I'm hooked, now I feel like I'll starve on only two episodes per week, three per week with eliminations on Friday would be perfect :)

Also, missing Lexxy already, she is very talented, and that clown piece ... awesome

madfigsBucho
  • adanzepedaadanzepeda Registered User regular
    Maki should visit r/trees.

• DeclarentDeclarent Registered User new member
    Just read Amy's webcomic. She's pretty damn amazing.

MichyGearyCambiataBucho
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    had to make this

dealwithit_maki_anim.gif

Shpydirlamelama22NijhazerFalxMichyGearyCrippl3CambiataAnialoszerzhulhodumaruFyndirBuchoAiouaThe_Glad_HatterJayeEmmTofystedethSassoriTheScrupleStrikerObixThanatoSxShpydarArcSynJurgstolee
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    New poll up on the main site asks, "Who do you think has what it takes to DOMINATE the elimination challenge?!"

#what

Either lulz or intentional spoiler-hiding.

But probably lulz.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    All three art pieces were great! Good job everyone!

• lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    Toasticus wrote: »
    had to make this

dealwithit_maki_anim.gif

that is awesome and made me lol! :D

Shpydar
  • SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    Bucho wrote: »
    Very fun episode and the right design won, but why were they wearing masks without filters?

What gives you the impression they don't have filters? I might be wrong because I don't ever use masks like that, but I'm pretty sure those big white and grey boxes on the sides of the mask are filters.

DTtheLEGEND
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular

#what

But probably lulz.

Erika1 has already posted on previous polls that all the names are included on all the polls to avoid spoilers for who will or won't be/have been eliminated for people who haven't seen the relevant episodes yet, but people vote for already eliminated contestants quite a lot. I want to say one of the polls after Alex was eliminated, he got something like 12% of the votes.

• DTtheLEGENDDTtheLEGEND Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    To: Bucho and Slaign,

There were filters. 2 actually (left and right side to distribute pressure from breathing so you aren't just pushing on one filter with your breath). I use that same exact mask and it fits really well without constricting your breathing too much.

---
    Also something I noticed was that those were hi pressure cans which means that alot more paint comes out in one spray. To give you an idea of pressure scales, Krylon is waay lower pressure than these.

I would have loved to see some cap variety on the cans, but since these guys didn't know alot about spray paint, it's probably best that they didn't have different caps.

DTtheLEGEND on
    Devonin wrote: »

#what

But probably lulz.

Erika1 has already posted on previous polls that all the names are included on all the polls to avoid spoilers for who will or won't be/have been eliminated for people who haven't seen the relevant episodes yet, but people vote for already eliminated contestants quite a lot. I want to say one of the polls after Alex was eliminated, he got something like 12% of the votes.

If I'm Alex, I run with it and start whipping up 'Vote Zombie Alex' shirts or something.

gavindelTheSpyder
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    @ARBITRARYDESCRIPTOR

You should! :)