Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Street Art

1235»

• lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    Slaign wrote: »
    Bucho wrote: »
    Very fun episode and the right design won, but why were they wearing masks without filters?

What gives you the impression they don't have filters? I might be wrong because I don't ever use masks like that, but I'm pretty sure those big white and grey boxes on the sides of the mask are filters.

I have used masks like that - and Bucho is totally correct. The two big white/gray boxes on the sides are filters - and they are way better than the cheap paper filters people normally use (they went all out), which typically only protect against dust. Not that anyone really cares, but in this type of mask, the filters can be taken out and replaced when they get saturated, or swapped out with a different type of filter for whatever chemical or contaminant you happen to be working with at the time.

On the episode: Pineapple Maki is by far my favorite design/drawing so far in the competition, it was awesome! Not sure if I'm going to buy the t-shirt yet since my closet is already full of webcomic/funny t-shirts but it's hard not too - thanks for making it a thing Maki.

After looking at it closely, I actually like the rough/spray paint version a little better than the cleaned up version b/c it had more rough & straight edges and gradients... but I guess that's a limitation of illustrator & using solid colors for tees?

Also love the Pineapple Katie - very cute & fitting. Pineapple Mac is also hilarious, even if it is terrifying and staring into your soul. :D

Bucho
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    edited April 2013
    @LAMELAMA22
    I actually made a "spray" version first, but was unsure how it would print on a shirt. I ordered up a test and will put it up for sale depending on how it goes

Here it is + the magic of photoshop.
    pineapplemaki-spray-wall.jpg

makitori on
    BuchoHewnKochikensStrikerObilamelama22
  • CheeseGod99CheeseGod99 Registered User regular
    I want more Bane Graham.

• BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    To: Bucho and Slaign, There were filters. 2 actually (left and right side to distribute pressure from breathing so you aren't just pushing on one filter with your breath). I use that same exact mask and it fits really well without constricting your breathing too much.

Yeah, I use the same mask too but what I mean is in the show it seems like they only have half of a 2-piece filter attached each side. In my experience you shouldn't be able to see the grid on either side because they should be covered by the outer part of the filter. Or maybe there is a type of filter which looks exactly like one half of the type I'm accustomed to.

With this type of filter shown below, if you remove the outer part (it clips off so you can change the filter pad) it looks identical to the filters in the episode, which is what made me think they were using incomplete filters.

mq5oIJU46PuQotY3WRu0EKg.jpg

I'm sure the task was completed safely with no ill effects (the room was very well ventilated and nobody looked too high at the end), I only bring it up in case any fans of the show decide to use this type of mask and to say that they should ask their retailer for advice and carefully read the instructions.

DexOZ wrote: »
    I only started watching it last night, didn't expect it to grab me like it did, 11 epidodes later I'm hooked, now I feel like I'll starve on only two episodes per week ...

HA! I feel your pain Dex, that was me last weekend. I'm not much of a reality TV watcher but Strip Search has me hooked real good.

Bucho on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    korvis wrote: »
    @Gosling your theory doesn't really sound like it would be that strategically sound. If the combo of words is hard it's not necessarily better to make it easier. That is if you are also making it easier for your opponent.

If I were to guess the redraw coupon is more of a get out of jail free thing. Where if Maki is chosen he would be able to use it for immunity and not get sent to elimination. Someone should try to send him just so he uses it up but I understand no one wants to be the first person to be seen as playing the game.

I had to think about the mechanics of this a bit- my theory was simply that it hadn't been used yet in nominations and therefore it wouldn't be- before figuring out that even if it only activated on Maki being nominated, it couldn't work then either.

Why? You have to consider how any potential metagame would involve it in future seasons, or even later on in this season (there's still plenty of time for a second ticket to be issued). Something like that is clearly meant to be a mechanic to be potentially reused. Right now, if the ticket is good to save Maki from the Thunderdome, it has power in that nobody knows that yet and he can use it when needed. But once it's activated, now everybody knows exactly what it's for and will account for that the next time it shows up. At that point, there are really only two ways the metagame could go:

A) The very next person to win immunity nominates the person with the ticket for no other reason than to force them to burn it saving themselves. They don't even have to necessarily want to get rid of them.
    B) Wary of wasting a nomination on someone with what is effectively a Hidden Immunity Idol (and disrupting the vibe of the house by causing unnecessary conflict), the person with the Redraw Ticket cruises to the finals untouched almost regardless of their drawing skill.

If it's A (as I'd heavily bet on), the ticket becomes effectively worthless. If it's B, the ticket becomes a gamebreaker. If it's my guess- allowing a second try at the wastebasket- it's a happy medium even when you know what it does: the player has an advantage and is theoretically more likely to come back, but they still have a very real chance of using the ticket poorly, getting burned by an inferior second draw, or just plain not being able to convert on the easel, and thus can still be effectively nominated. It's an advantage, but it's not a free ride.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • kscullykscully Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but in the 'Meet The Creators' header image on the strip search homepage, the redraw ticket is shown strewn amongst Strip Search branded monopoly-esque money. I wonder if a future challenge will see the artists drawing for cash.

I started showing a friend Strip Seach, and during the artist intro as they loom into view with their name, they remarked that Maki's dark glasses make him look like he may be blind. Then followed quite a lengthy imagining of a blind cartoonist, and all the hilarious situations and capers they'd get up to.

makitori
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    To me, the cash screams a good old auction challenge.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • thegreenmonkeythegreenmonkey Registered User regular
    finally caught up with the show, and I have to say that 2nd elimination was pretty intense, but this is probably my favorite episode so far. This one has it all; great teamwork, great direction, and great results from everybody. It seems everyone has become more familiar with the other contestants and the interactions between them are becoming more fluid and less stiff.

So what exactly is in a 'Pineapple Maki'?

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but what's with the pineapple in-joke?

EDIT: I wish for Nick's ignominious downfall.

Twenty Sided on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Shpydar wrote: »
    NaCl wrote: »
    I'm not going to read your forum thread about how you disagree with me. I just want to see more comic strips.

It's not a forum thread, it's a single post in a different forum and it's not about you.

And as I said "if you are interested". I was not telling you to do something, merely giving a suggestion of how I've elaborated longer on the counter point I was making, in an effort to keep my post concise.

If you are not open to debate then that is on you and well within your right... Your opinion is posted in a public forum though.

If you are open to agreement then I totally agree with you. I too want to see more comic strips.
    Yeah, that was pretty salty.

I'll see myself out.

steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    TheSpyder wrote: »
    I like how Tavis is a great bullshitter compared to the ...resigned honesty of Erika.

It's not bullshit. It's relentless optimism. :)

steam_sig.png
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    He's a father. If he didn't know how to be relentlessly optimistic in the face of frustration, he'd never last. :P

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but what's with the pineapple in-joke?

EDIT: I wish for Nick's ignominious downfall.

it seems the house they are staying in has a pineapple "theme" and Katie mentions it when she describes their painting to the judges. the stripsearch infographic also mentions how many pineapples were found.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Amy's strategy talk was meh but it made me ask a serious question; What exactly more is the prize than 15 grand and free office space for a year? Some of the contestants are professional artists already so the prize seems like nothing.

Well, yeah, but they'll be pros with Mike and Jerry and Khoo and the rest of the PA team at their disposal, and they can spend the year improving their art and writing techniques and learn how to maximize the money they make off of webcomics. The $15K is a start; the real prize here is being given the absolute best help out there in making sure that $15K is just the start of a whole lot of money to come. And most of the roster is in their 20's; getting that help now is going to pay a hell of a lot of dividends.

Think of it like being given the prize in annuity form.

At least 50% of the real prize is having Khoo on your staff for a year.

Considering that the going rate for Khoo to just evaluate your business plan and what opportunities you might be missing is 2500 dollars.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Bucho is correct. I also own that brand of gas mask, and even in the preview image you can see Monica's mask is missing the replaceable filter. The two removable boxes on each side of the mask are only one half of the filter - there should be a secondary layer on top of them (which would hide the grey plastic grid you can see in the preview image) held in place by a clear plastic seal.

This is like riding a motorcycle while wearing a sweet, expensive motorcycle jacket... after, for some reason, having removed all the internal armour.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Bucho
  • murphtronicmurphtronic Registered User new member
    I wish that Amy had directed her group to paint a low flying aircraft, just below some rings of radar. That would've been a really ironic way to own your obvious strategy - and probably wouldn't have won, thus working perfectly.

Fandeathis
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    I demand a Pineapple Maki T-shirt.

edited April 2013
    Well, see, that really would work against the real goal of the artists, murphtronic. Remember, everything they make for the show is theirs to keep and sell. Intentionally drawing something that isn't going to win may help you fly under the radar then, but it hurts you here and now, because you've blown an opportunity to make something worth selling to the viewers. Every time you're asked to make art is one more chance you have to make money after you've gone home, and that's what everyone is really there to do.

Gosling on
  • StrikerObiStrikerObi Tallahassee, FLRegistered User regular
    If I were Nick or Abby and I won next episode's elimination competition, I'd send Amy to the challenge in a heartbeat. She totally sold out her team by discrediting her own involvement. Not cool.

Fandeathis
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    By the way, speaking of Maki... I think I may have figured out what his Redraw Ticket is for. If you'll indulge.

What I think the Redraw Ticket does is, if Maki doesn't like the prompt he drew, he can hand in the ticket, discard his prompt, and 'redraw' in the hope of getting something better. I say 'the one HE drew' because notice how, when the two contestants are at the easel, each has their drawn prompt sitting there beside them. I don't think the ticket is good for redrawing the other person's prompt.

If it can't be used to re-draw out of the wastepaper basket, I'll eat my hat* I've been pretty sure the re-draw ticket will allow a re-draw of the waste-paper basket since I saw elimination 1
    Whether it allows you to force a redraw of either topic, or just your own, I can't guess. (If I were designing the game, I'd make it work on either.)

*Since it is impossible to prove I ate a hat over the internet, I shall instead draw a picture of myself (or any character of Maki's choosing) eating a hat.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    ahdok wrote: »
    By the way, speaking of Maki... I think I may have figured out what his Redraw Ticket is for. If you'll indulge.

What I think the Redraw Ticket does is, if Maki doesn't like the prompt he drew, he can hand in the ticket, discard his prompt, and 'redraw' in the hope of getting something better. I say 'the one HE drew' because notice how, when the two contestants are at the easel, each has their drawn prompt sitting there beside them. I don't think the ticket is good for redrawing the other person's prompt.

If it can't be used to re-draw out of the wastepaper basket, I'll eat my hat* I've been pretty sure the re-draw ticket will allow a re-draw of the waste-paper basket since I saw elimination 1
    Whether it allows you to force a redraw of either topic, or just your own, I can't guess. (If I were designing the game, I'd make it work on either.)

*Since it is impossible to prove I ate a hat over the internet, I shall instead draw a picture of myself (or any character of Maki's choosing) eating a hat.

By which you mean "Allows Maki to substitute any one word for "Science" thus guaranteeing him the win"

Geth
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    Man, I thought everyone saying Amy was going to be a manipulator because she had to pick the first elimination was overreacting, but she is playing this game f'real. I mean she's actively talking herself down during judging so nobody will notice her. I was so, so wrong.

• NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Get on the Late Strip! Up all night!

• parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Every morning Katie wakes up and applies makeup to her neck tattoo to hide her true self from the world and to shield the eyes of young children from how life can harden a person, to keep them asleep, wrapped in a blanket of hope and wonder, soothed by a lullaby called childhood, it's a tattoo that says "thug life".
    It's a shame she's going to all that work removing it all when she could just apply the make-up to the T and everything would be cool.

The word 'redraw'- more specifically, the 're'- gives the impression that the ticket is to be used to attempt to undo a previous perceived mistake. There has to be some sort of concrete, structured place where the ticket is meant to be used, and it hasn't been used yet in immunity challenges that Maki has failed to win (which so far is all of them). So it can't be for that; it wouldn't be for saving himself from nomination. And it wouldn't be for the reward challenges.
    I think there's a good chance that you're right, but I hope you're not because I feel that would be pretty lame. Graham said something along the lines of, "you don't know what it does yet, but you'll be glad you have it". If all he gets to do is redraw his random elimination prompt into a second random eliminatioin prompt, that's hardly something to be glad of. Especially if he likes the first one he gets.

I am hoping that it means he gets a second chance not to be sent to elimination in the first place. Somehow. You're right that having him go off somewhere and redo an elimination or other challenge would take a lot of time. But still.

kscully wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but in the 'Meet The Creators' header image on the strip search homepage, the redraw ticket is shown strewn amongst Strip Search branded monopoly-esque money. I wonder if a future challenge will see the artists drawing for cash.
    Now, there's a thought. Really, it might easily be used for any future challenge that we have no idea about yet and might involve drawing for something. Also, I see that you've been voted up by Maki although that was more likely for the blind artist comment as I imagine he's not wanting to spoil anything.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X The woods are lovely dark and deepRegistered User regular
    "The theme of the house we're living in is Pineapples"

Whuwah?

I'm sure there was a mention of "pineapples found" on that infographic too? What is the deal with pineapples?

And miles to go before I sleep.
  • EladynEladyn Registered User new member
    I really want a Pineapple Maki shirt now

edited May 2013
    Had my first random Strip Search world interaction when someone on the bus today sat down and said "That's an awesome Pineapple Maki T-shirt" We had a great chat about the show. Makinapple: Bringing people together.

Devonin on
    Falx
1235»