As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Name this old role playing game.

2»

• majinrevan666majinrevan666 Registered User regular
    The dialogue the goblin or goblins (I do not know whether more than one of them spoke.) had was not along the lines of generic death threats. The goblin/goblins had a unique personality. It reminds me somewhat of the female hyena in the first Lion King.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The game you are seeking is Dragon Lore.

http://youtu.be/VrF0-MegbHQ

I am old. :P

Dear god, it's intro is slow.

Krathoon on
  • SichoSicho Wellenstein, Luxembourg, EuropeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    are you 100% positive they were goblins? or could they also be trolls or another fantasy creature? maybe you remember the color of them or if they had any equipment on them like helms or spears or something?

Sicho on
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
    Yeah. We really need more info.

Sicho wrote: »
    are you 100% positive they were goblins? or could they also be trolls or another fantasy creature? maybe you remember the color of them or if they had any equipment on them like helms or spears or something?

It's possible that they were something else. I just remember them as being goblins.
    I don't remember if they had any equipment.

This is very tentative, but I think there were dialogue options, though not as elaborate as those in Gothic.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The game you are seeking is Dragon Lore.

http://youtu.be/VrF0-MegbHQ

I am old. :P

Dear god, it's intro is slow.

The hairy-chested man at 10:00 is terrifying. Does he comb that carpet daily?

The cliff might have been overlooking a town.

There is also Lands of Lore.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Ok, we need to solve this. We're losing serious street cred here.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    PLAurahonkyDrakeDhalphir
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Just went through this huge list and couldn't find anything that meets even most of the criteria (that wasn't already named):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_video_games

The OP should take a quick look through there and see if something jumps out.

If there's much voice acting at all (beyond just the intro and Daggerfall-style "Vengeaaaance" SFX peppered) then the date is probably more in the 2001-2004 range, based on the description given.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    I'll look through it. I doubt it's past 2000. I had a few games back then which I find memorable. "Silver", "Quest For Glory V" "Might And Magic VII" "King's Quest:Mask Of Eternity"...

If I had to guess, I would say the game I'm trying to find is older than all of them, but it should, at the very least, not be much older.

I suppose it could be classified as an adventure game but... I just didn't go far enough in it to find out. And the option of combat should rule that out.

No name jumped out.

• eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Adventure? For pete's sake. Please don't tell me it's Shannara.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Ok, we need to solve this. We're losing serious street cred here.

Goblins with personality.
    Stew pot.
    Attack and defend with cursor.
    cRPG.

I think Drakan had goblins. It was 3rd person though.

• FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    There's apparently a Dragon Lore 2, Dragon Lore 2: The Heart of the Dragon Man. Though you said nothing about Krathoon's suggestion, could it be that nonetheless? A look at a walkthrough suggested it had goblins in a forest, at least.

urahonky
    There's apparently a Dragon Lore 2, Dragon Lore 2: The Heart of the Dragon Man. Though you said nothing about Krathoon's suggestion, could it be that nonetheless? A look at a walkthrough suggested it had goblins in a forest, at least.

I think...this is it...

The intro seems familiar. The walkthrough makes sense. Even the gamespot description: "Dragon Lore II is about as frustrating a gaming experience as I have encountered in recent years." seems to fit...

There doesn't seem to be a full visual walkthrough online, but I am almost positive this is it.

Perhaps the reason that the words dragon and cave came to mind was because "Lore" is spelled and pronounced closely to "Lair"

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    If that's it then everyone needs to shower @Fantasyrogue with money and hookers.

ElvenshaeBroncbuster
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    Could it possibly be betrayal at krondor?

• FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    I'm just glad that's potentially the game. Someone else can have the hookers (won't say no to the money though).

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
    I feel like playing Stonekeep now. I did not know there was so much in it. I did buy it, but did not get around to finishing it.