As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final fantasy 1&2: not a GBA port!

core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Final-Fantasy-I-II-20th-Anniversary-Edition-new-dungeons-screenshots/pg/49/aid/87324#

Celebrating twenty long years (and a massive amount of rereleases) since the first Final Fantasy games, we're treated to a rerelease of the first two games (yet again), but this time on the PSP in anniversary collections! What's different you might ask? First and foremost, the new graphics designed to take advantage of the PSP's crisp, wide screen. Take a gander at some screenshots of the game in action. Now with faux 3Dish sprites!

104_68804_ffs02.jpg

104_68804_ffs03.jpg

104_68804_ffex03.jpg

Marking another change from the original versions, is yes, the updates from the GBA version, along with even more extra dungeons and bosses to test your mettle. The estimated release date WAS April, but apparently got pushed back to June. Seeing as how I never got around to playing Dawn of Souls, color me interested. What does everyone else think?

6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
core tactic on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But FF1 is old and outdated by now no matter how much you try to add new bells and whistles to it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dear... god....

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Phantom Train was in FF1/2?

Or maybe I should say it also showed up in 6, either/or.

I still have the PS1 port of 2, but I haven't gotten too far in it.

And I think I like the NES port of FF1 the most. It's old-school, it should stay that way.

This port does look nice, though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    But FF1 is old and outdated by now no matter how much you try to add new bells and whistles to it.

I've never gotten around to playing either one or two, that's why I'm interested. But is it true that 2 sucks? Because I get that alot.

core tactic on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think I dislike those sprites.

Yes, yes I do

edit: thats what it is! they remind me of all those dodgy korean Sprite based MMOs

LewieP on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woah. Those are gorgeous. I'd really rather get touched up 6-10 or something, but I might pick up (edit:play, then) 1.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Uh, just to clarify, both 1 and 2 are going to be in one package. From the replies I'm thinking that people think each one will be released seperatly (?)

core tactic on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Uh, just to clarify, both 1 and 2 are going to be in one package. From the replies I'm thinking that people think each one will be released seperatly (?)

in the "FF bakers dozen + 1" thread, and indeed in the acompianing press release, they counted as one of the 13 ff games each.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They need to remake old FFs I actually care about, like 4-7. They are better than the original NES graphics, but inferior to the SNES sprites found in later games.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, what they NEED to do is create an ORIGINAL FF game using those gorgeous sprites. I would love a brand new portable title that was a throwback to the old ATB games.

I really don't know if I want to purchase the same game a THIRD time only to not finish it for a third time, but dammit those graphics are nice. And damn them if they do an FFVI version after the Advanced version has barely been out a month.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well I'll be damned, it IS 2 games! What a rip.

EDIT: Okay, it seems both will be pretty cheap. So I guess if you got both, it'd be about the same price as one normally priced game. But still. Why not just release one game with both on it?

core tactic on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, what they NEED to do is create an ORIGINAL FF game using those gorgeous sprites. I would love a brand new portable title that was a throwback to the old ATB games.

I would definitely buy something like that.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I really don't know if I want to purchase the same game a THIRD time only to not finish it for a third time, but dammit those graphics are nice. And damn them if they do an FFVI version after the Advanced version has barely been out a month.

I would buy a FFVI version with improved sprites like this so fast. Even if it came out tomorrow :P Damn them! This looks so damn good I might have to buy them.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Stop with the re-relases Square-Enix!

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cups42 wrote: »
    Stop with the re-relases Square-Enix!

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

But the Japanese keep on buying them!

Couscous on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    But the GBA release was completely fucked. If they're just re-skinning and adding yet more worthless filler (which is EXACTLY what they did in the GBA release) then it's a complete waste of money.

The GBA version had gimped difficulty, a broken magic system, and the added stuff was not in any way fun. It was dumb, time consuming, and completely imbalanced. The bosses at the end of the towers were significantly more difficult than the end game ones in the original content, and the enemies leading up to them could be handled easily by a party just powerful enough to light the first orb. Fucking ridiculous.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mace1370 wrote: »

I would definitely buy something like that.

Oh hell yes I'd buy that too.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Man you can say what you want about this umpteenth rehash, but those graphics are just plain hot.

Yes I admit it, I'm a total whore for lucious sprites. It's the reason why I think Kirby Squeak Squad is the best looking game of the year, I haven't seen better spritework in like, ever.

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It looks like a bad flash game.

Sorry Square but new sprites, a couple extra dungeons (I could honestly have lived without the ones Dawn of Souls included), and the "new" MP-system that does nothing but make the entire game of FFI trivial isn't enough incentive for me to shell out for a PSP, a fourth copy of FFI, and a third copy of FFII, which is still a fucking broken game.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was going to go out and get Dawn of Souls at some point, because I'd like to play the first 2 FFs on the road. I think I'll just wait for this version to come out, though. I kind of wish they'd given them a huge lift like FF3, but I guess this is cool.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, what they NEED to do is create an ORIGINAL FF game using those gorgeous sprites.

i would buy this so hard.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    S-E is on a serious milk train.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have two copies of Final Fantasy on NES, one on PSX (FF Origins), again on GBA (FF1&2 Dawn of Souls), and I still haven't gone through the game. Now that I see this, I don't want to because I know I'll be expected to do this one too!

CZroe on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want a psp now :(

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    VashinVashin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    so is this the "un-named" Final Fantasy game that was to be revieled at their party or something like that??

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
    Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm terrified by the thought they might re-release Chrono Trigger on the PSP.

Mostly because I don't have a PSP, and am a total whore for CT.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Vashin wrote: »
    so is this the "un-named" Final Fantasy game that was to be revieled at their party or something like that??
    Nah. Also, they announced a remake for the PSP of a "Square property", not specifically Final Fantasy.

core tactic on
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nah. Also, they announced a remake for the PSP of a "Square property", not specifically Final Fantasy.

Hmmm..Chrono Trigger or even a mana game???

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, if you've never played the first Final Fantasy game, play it on the Nintendo. The GBA version was horrible in comparison. I remember being level 30ish getting to the final dungeon in the original game, and that was with some grinding. The GBA version is a walk in the park, or if you prefer, a simple A button mashing fest, level 60 and haven't even thought about Chaos yet.

Seriously, the GBA remake is basically Final Fantasy 1: Neutered version. I wish there was at least an option for classic style play.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Honestly, if you've never played the first Final Fantasy game, play it on the Nintendo. The GBA version was horrible in comparison. I remember being level 30ish getting to the final dungeon in the original game, and that was with some grinding. The GBA version is a walk in the park, or if you prefer, a simple A button mashing fest, level 60 and haven't even thought about Chaos yet.

Seriously, the GBA remake is basically Final Fantasy 1: Neutered version. I wish there was at least an option for classic style play.
    But if you've never played FFI, you wouldn't ever know that the GBA version is easier. I didn't play the NES FFI and I liked the GBA remake. I wouldn't have known it was much easier if people didn't tell me. I liked that I didn't need to grind too much.

Taya on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Taya wrote: »
    I didn't play the NES FFI

You heathen.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Taya wrote: »
    I didn't play the NES FFI

You heathen.

I played up until that elven city with a lot of poisonous enemies around it. I hated it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to have to agree with the general concensus here and say the new sprites are just awesome.

Also, thieves can actually steal in Dawn of Souls, right? I know they couldn't in the original.

core tactic on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I use the excuse that I was too young to play RPGs and any half-difficult game on the NES (aka 99% of them). I pretty much stuck to Mario and Tiny Toons and Paperboy and TMNT. Final Fantasy was way out of my league at that time.

Taya on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

I would start cutting throats.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

we're never going to see a port / remake of the early mana games because the dood in charge of them doesn't like the direction of the old games or something equally stupid.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I like this idea. I have a PSP and having the final fantasies on the PS1/PS2 and now the PSP would be awesome. I haven't gotten the remakes of the FF and I haven't gotten the FF III DS remake, but I hope they do it to every re-release of the GBA/DS FF.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xieflow wrote: »

we're never going to see a port / remake of the early mana games because the dood in charge of them doesn't like the direction of the old games or something equally stupid.

CT with sprite upgrades like this? that would be sooo bought. Or even without the sprite upgrades, but damn, these look purdy.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    S-E is on a serious milk train.

This shit fuels the ridiculous budgets for FF13 and the like, I think...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    harvest wrote: »
    I want a psp now :(

I just want them to port this to something else. And not even DS, because something like Final Fantasy requires extended play sessions that a handheld just makes totally fucking annoying.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる