ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Panties in vending machines.

they don't actually have those

..uuh anymore

also, most Japanese do get their impression of Americans from TV/ movies

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I don't know, I've never met you. There's a specific type of person who fairly clearly falls into the weeaboo category; would a venn diagram help? Not all anime watchers are obsessive weeaboo freaks, but all weaboo freaks are anime watchers.

Unless they're the kind that collects manga, eats pocky, listens to nothing but J-Pop, and believes anime to be "kiddy cartoons".

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    redx wrote: »
    Like, I think the whole WWII thing kinda had a somewhat profound impact on their culture as a whole as well.

like... some of the events and stuff involved, and with the rebuilding, add to the uniqueness.

That was one of the points in my major essay - I think that the American occupation was the most influential period in Japanese history. There was a period there were Japan really wholeheartedly adopted Western culture - even moreso than the Americans wanted (Marxism, for example). But the US's fading interest in Japan for Vietnam, and general fatigue with the occupation, caused a return to the old values - but seen through a modern lens.

It's an amazingly interesting period, because you see these people jumping at the ideas of communism and trade unions as soon as you remove the old power-structures - it goes to show that these cultural factors which some academics see as almost racially inherent, weren't as strong an influence as you might suspect.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »
    Would Senjutsu's post make sense at all if it were "movies" instead of anime?
    So what's up with those mouth-breathing, unwashed movie dorks? The trekkie phenomenon is driven by the fact that th kind of loser who characterizes it is a total social outcast to begin with; fat 30 year old men who like to dress up like aliens and watch movies all day in their mom's basement aren't exactly destined to ever be popular.

See what I did there? I took a small population (trekkies), and extrapolated their extreme actions to cover anybody who watches movies of any kind. That sort of nonsense is exactly what this thread is complaining about, except targeted toward a different group.

so....

would you take someone like that seriously, if they were talking about alien culture? Or... any aspect of science?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »

..uuh anymore

After reading a few journal pages by a black school teacher in Japan, I figured that but I wasn't sure.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Would Senjutsu's post make sense at all if it were "movies" instead of anime?
    So what's up with those mouth-breathing, unwashed movie dorks? The trekkie phenomenon is driven by the fact that th kind of loser who characterizes it is a total social outcast to begin with; fat 30 year old men who like to dress up like aliens and watch movies all day in their mom's basement aren't exactly destined to ever be popular.

See what I did there? I took a small population (trekkies), and extrapolated their extreme actions to cover anybody who watches movies of any kind. That sort of nonsense is exactly what this thread is complaining about, except targeted toward a different group.

so....

would you take someone like that seriously, if they were talking about alien culture? Or... any aspect of science?

No, but I might be a bit annoyed if a stranger grouped me in amongst them because I happen to watch movies or science-fiction as well.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No, but I might be a bit annoyed if a stranger grouped me in amongst them because I happen to watch movies or science-fiction as well.

Your persecution complex is showing.

No-one has grouped you in with anyone! No-one has even said that watching anime is in any way bad. We've just said that watching TV shows does not automatically qualify you to be an expert in a field of knowledge.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zsetrek wrote: »

No-one has grouped you in with anyone! No-one has even said that watching anime is in any way bad. We've just said that watching TV shows does not automatically qualify you to be an expert in a field of knowledge.
    So what's up with those mouth-breathing, unwashed anime dorks? The weeaboo phenomenon is driven by the fact that th kind of loser who characterizes it is a total social outcast to begin with; fat 30 year old men who like to dress up like cats and watch cartoons all day in their mom's basement aren't exactly destined to ever be popular.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Ah, well, watching Star Trek can make you an expert in the "Star Trek" field of knowledge. But, yeah, I agree with you. Anime isn't exactly representative of current Japanese culture. In fact, most anime just seems to be mild anti-war propaganda. And I say this as an anime enthusiast.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    ALocksly wrote: »

..uuh anymore

After reading a few journal pages by a black school teacher in Japan, I figured that but I wasn't sure.

the country is nearly 99% ethnic Japanese, they just don't run into foreigners in the flesh very often.

I don't think it makes it overseas very often but most blacks are still portrayed minstrel show style in cartoons over here, you might even see a person in costume with a black leotard and blackface makeup jumpng around with a spear (not kidding)

also for future reference here is the man as far as anime goes

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

So what's up with those mouth-breathing, unwashed anime dorks? The weeaboo phenomenon is driven by the fact that th kind of loser who characterizes it is a total social outcast to begin with; fat 30 year old men who like to dress up like cats and watch cartoons all day in their mom's basement aren't exactly destined to ever be popular.

What Senj was saying was "Why does personality type A identify with anime? Here's why." He wasn't saying that all anime watchers are dorks - just trying to understand why anime appeals to people who are.

Also, given his name, I have a hard time believing that he thinks Japanese culture is solely the domain of mouth-breathing nerds.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Ah, well, watching Star Trek can make you an expert in the "Star Trek" field of knowledge. But, yeah, I agree with you. Anime isn't exactly representative of current Japanese culture. In fact, most anime just seems to be mild anti-war propaganda. And I say this as an anime enthusiast.

It is a kinda common theme. Having a significant portion of your population killed, a couple of your cities vaporised, and being left in a state of near denial about the atrocities of your troops, can do that to your cultural mindset.

Outside of stuff with giant robots, i don't think it is really that common though.

redx on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is anyone in this thread actually contending that enjoying certain aspects of Japanese culture but not others is a bad thing? I don't see any harm in Japanophiles loving samurai and Shinto, but not understanding the American occupation of Japan. They're not in government. I also find it strange how, say, Francophiles and Anglophiles aren't denigrated in such a way.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited March 2007

What Senj was saying was "Why does personality type A identify with anime? Here's why." He wasn't saying that all anime watchers are dorks - just trying to understand why anime appeals to people who are.

The thing is that the personality he's decrying has nothing to do with anime, and everything to do with liking Japanese versions of their hobbies. The person who enjoys music might purchase only J-Pop, or the gamer buys JRPGs. To fabricate this connection between anime and Japanophilia and use it as evidence that anybody who likes anime is unwashed and unwanted detritus of society is inherently insulting. Watching anime has nothing to do with the sort of extreme behavior that characterizes weeaboos.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007

It is a kinda common theme. Having a significant portion of your population killed, a couple of your cities vaporised, and being left in a state of near denial about the atrocities of your troops, can do that to your cultural mindset.

Outside of stuff with giant robots, i don't think it is really that common though.

Yeah, though something like Saikano, which has no giant robots, is perhaps the most blatantly damning anti-war thing I've ever seen in any medium. There are other kinds of anime, though, yeah.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Is anyone in this thread actually contending that enjoying certain aspects of Japanese culture but not others is a bad thing? I don't see any harm in Japanophiles loving samurai and Shinto, but not understanding the American occupation of Japan. They're not in government. I also find it strange how, say, Francophiles and Anglophiles aren't denigrated in such a way.

I suspect this thread is in response to weeaboos acting informed by spouting bullshit about their adopted "culture". Imagine a poster who called himself a frankophile posting this:
    I'll be heading over to France in a few days, yay! I'm bringing along lots of white flags and cheese so I can blend in with the locals. Any tips on where I should go to find the best cooked frogs? (^~_~^)

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The thing is that the personality he's decrying has nothing to do with anime, and everything to do with liking Japanese versions of their hobbies. The person who enjoys music might purchase only J-Pop, or the gamer buys JRPGs. To fabricate this connection between anime and Japanophilia and use it as evidence that anybody who likes anime is unwashed and unwanted detritus of society is inherently insulting. Watching anime has nothing to do with the sort of extreme behavior that characterizes weeaboos.

Well, whatever. It just took it as metonymy. No-one is having a go at you.

No-one's saying it's bad - we're just saying that you shouldn't mistake hobby-knowledge for real research. I mean, I'd call a Francophile out on their bullshit if they tried to tell me that French foreign policy was purely a product of things he'd learned second-hand from Luc Besson movies.

EDIT: yeah, exactly what jmillikin said.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, though something like Saikano, which has no giant robots, is perhaps the most blatantly damning anti-war thing I've ever seen in any medium. There are other kinds of anime, though, yeah.

:roll: come on now... point to "Now and Then;Here and There" or "Grave of Fireflys", man.

not something with a fucking small robot.

redx on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

:roll: come on now... point to "Now and Then;Here and There" or "Grave of Fireflys", man.

not something with a fucking cyborg.

I've not seen those. Read the current chat thread page. Edit:
    and she wasn't a robot, though it's never really clear how or what her transformation occurred or entailed.

Drez on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

You're presuming "anime dork" referred to anyone who watches anime instead of a subset of anime watchers. I already explained that wasn't my intent. Un-fucking-clench, already.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am an anime fan, and my curiousity of Japan stemmed from the thought process of "hmm, I'll bet that learning more about the customs and culture of the country would not only help me to better understand this show, but it would also be interesting and educational, yay pursuit of knowledge++"

but every fandom has its own stunted population; the origin of these other fandoms is usually here in the same country though, so that's one reason why a lot of anime dorks assume Japan is entirely comprised of ninjas, ramen, and pocky.

Kriz on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Honestly, I think people only want to hear about what's different, because we're tired of what's similar.

Only so many people go to France and want to hit McDonalds first thing off the plane.

There are a lot of McDonald's in Japan.

Japanese fascination with American culture is a lot more intense than just about any country's preoccupation with another.

Sam on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sam wrote: »
    Honestly, I think people only want to hear about what's different, because we're tired of what's similar.

Only so many people go to France and want to hit McDonalds first thing off the plane.

Japanese fascination with American culture is a lot more intense than just about any country's preoccupation with another.

Makes sense.

By focusing on American culture, they can gleam from ALL cultures in one convenient, grease-fried location.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    Sam wrote: »

Makes sense.

By focusing on American culture, they can gleam from ALL cultures in one convenient, grease-fried location.

I think it's more of the fact that the US is pretty much the leading media provider to the entire world. And Japan is... uh... a voracious consumer of media. The reverse also is fairly true... the US watches a shitload of TV and movies (not to mention the games), and compared to pretty much every other country in the world outside of the US, Japan makes a shitload of TV shows and movies. *shrug*

Aroduc on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno.

There's Bollywood.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I dunno.

There's Bollywood.

Yeah but that's about 98% pure kitsch that would make Fred Durst and Rob Schneider green with envy.

Edit- funnily enough though, there are subcultures/followings of Indian films in Japan. I don't know if it was just a fad in the past, but I know that there were fan clubs for Rajinikanth, the biggest film star in South India. Pretty kitschy stuff.

the Japanese are no strangers to kitsch though and neither should big anime fans be. It would seem that there's a similar kitsch to art ratio when it comes to anime and manga, although I'm sure it's not quite as bad overall as Bollywood.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Japan does have an overactive media industry (even if you don't count all the porn, which is an unconceivable amount no doubt) but it's not like other countries are dormant. China puts out more and more blockbusters every year (with a healthy amount of domestic market kitsch) as does Thailand. Korea is a big film player too.
    Countries like the Phillipines and Singapore are slowly emerging. Most blockbusters have pan-Asian success, regardless of their country of origin. The only exception to this is Bollywood, which is its own absurd little world.

Sam on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've skimmed through the thread a bit, but I have my own thoughts on "Japanophilia."

I agree with a previous post on Americans consuming electronic media with a voracious appetite. How many kids now a days haven't played or seen a game from Nintendo? It all starts with somewhere and that is a great starting point. "Hey, this is from there? Cool! What else." I know video games first started my interest with Japanese culture and business, which is a fundamental reason for my education.

Why do others do it? There's the social outcast thing. But, also, Japanese products are becoming more and more present. Look at Adult Swim: Naruto, Ghost in the Shell. 4Kids showed One Piece in the morning. So, when you have kids growing up with sort of thing, they'll learn to love it.

I don't think there isn't less "ophilia" of other cultures to those devoted to it, but really, what's around most people most of the time? An amalgam of influences. A lot of people in power were white Europeans here who brought a lot of culture/food with them. What's to expect? People here have heard of a crepe or a piece of schnitzel or pizza. When "the mother countries" are so prevalent in your life but another culture seems to be "creeping in" and "new," what would most people find interesting?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wish I knew Japanese so i could import games and play them fully.

I consider myself a fan of Japan. I like videogames and anime, but I don't listen to J-pop or anything. Or have any naked pvc dolls on my shelf.

That's a bit weird.

JJ on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think that in a cutural sense, Japan stands out. European countries tend to be largely similar, but with different flavours. Obiously perception plays a big role, but what really matters is that Japanese culture stands out.

Take anime, for example. I don't know much about anime history, but I know that when I hear anime, I think Japan. I don't think Vietnam, Korea or China. Japan. The fact that Japan has so many disinct products it's known for makes it easy for foreigners to recgonise a Japanese product. For example, there is a video game genre of "Japanese" RPG's. No other video game genre is associated with a nation; you will not find German shooting games, or French soccer games. Just shooters and sports games. So so far, we have JRPG's and anime. There is also manga, a distinct form of comic book. European and North American comics share styles, but manga has a style all it's own.

My point is that I think the basis of Japanese adoration is how distinct it is. It's natural for those who are bored with what they have to look to something new and exciting; Japanese culture is the shiny, panties-in-vending-machines culture that many are looking for.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    stuff. right above this.

for further enlightenment see my post at the top of the page

ALocksly on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    German, Chinese and French animation suck.
    Dirty, dirty lies. Can't say about right now, but France has produced a staggering amount of timeless animation. Hell, a whole bunch of anime from the 80s were France-Japan collaborations.

Glal on
  • Options
    chitowncowboychitowncowboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Dirty, dirty lies. Can't say about right now, but France has produced a staggering amount of timeless animation. Hell, a whole bunch of anime from the 80s were France-Japan collaborations.

The Triplets of Belleville was utter trash.

Japan has Cowboy Bebop. Pwn.

chitowncowboy on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Haha. You made TFS angry.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    MiracleManSMiracleManS __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    ZeroZero wrote: »
    Haha. You made TFS angry.

OH GOD! NOES!

MiracleManS on
    goldfishsig.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    90% of all running series are utter trash.
    France has Mysterious Cities of Gold. olol my retarded comparison can beat up your retarded comparison

Glal on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Turn the sound off the next time you watch The Triplets of Belleville. You will gain great respect for the movie once you get what I'm talking about. If not, fall into a well and die.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Pretty sure that was Canadian.

Also pretty sure that it kicked ass.

Fucko.

Duki on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    East. West. Some of us like their stuff, some of them like our stuff. Some like it too much. Some of them like it too much as well. Everyone else not involved ridicules them, and everyone involved ridicules those as well. Both get on high-horses and think of themselves as superior. It's a vicious cycle. A stupid one.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Turn the sound off the next time you watch The Triplets of Belleville. You will gain great respect for the movie once you get what I'm talking about. If not, fall into a well and die.

Does it help to be really high?

Sam on
This discussion has been closed.