Options

Locked because of Katchem_ashe

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    East. West. Some of us like their stuff, some of them like our stuff. Some like it too much. Some of them like it too much as well. Everyone else not involved ridicules them, and everyone involved ridicules those as well. Both get on high-horses and think of themselves as superior. It's a vicious cycle. A stupid one.

The day somebody who refers to himself as Otaku has an opinion on Japanophilia worth hearing is the day we can all play Ice Hockey in hell.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    East. West. Some of us like their stuff, some of them like our stuff. Some like it too much. Some of them like it too much as well. Everyone else not involved ridicules them, and everyone involved ridicules those as well. Both get on high-horses and think of themselves as superior. It's a vicious cycle. A stupid one.

The day somebody who refers to himself as Otaku has an opinion on Japanophilia worth hearing is the day we can all play Ice Hockey in hell.
    can I join in on this argument, or do I have to have some numbers in my name?

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think (as was discussed earlier) that Japanese and other asian cultural influences are as widespread as the influences of european culture on the US and vice versa. Its just that the european/american cultural influences are so widespread that its easy to mistake things with overseas origins as being part of your own culture. As a case in point we can look at all kinds of food products which have been adopted as nearly the national dish of a country but which in fact have distinctly international orgins. America and pizza (Italy), England and Curry (India), and numerous other examples. Movies and entertainment also share huge amounts of mutual influence on each other.

The small amount of Japanese influence is noticeable because it is new, to the mainstream at least. I still think American and European influences are far stronger, although Japanese influences are clearly more strongly present in the online community.

Japanese culture has also been mined for those aspects which are strange and often confusing to westerners. Pod hotels, buying suits from vending machines, samurai and ninjas. So any elements of this entering our media is powerfully noticable.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think the thing that bugs me the most about Japanophiles is their irrational glorification of the Japanese culture.

My brother for instance, will constantly go on about how awesome Japan is, how open they are with everything, how accepting, and how they don't "have the stupid politics/shit" that we have over here.

It makes my blood boil to know just how wrong he is.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    I think the thing that bugs me the most about Japanophiles is their irrational glorification of the Japanese culture.

My brother for instance, will constantly go on about how awesome Japan is, how open they are with everything, how accepting, and how they don't "have the stupid politics/shit" that we have over here.

Seriously, the Japanese are as dumb as everyone else.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    This is reminding me of Colorful. I'm gonna watch it again, after I get back from class.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

I can't skate. Will I magically be able to skate?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    My Otaku-ness as always been a part of me since I can remember. It really helps if you have grown up in East Asian countries of Thiland, Indonesia, Cambobia, Singapore and Malaysia as a child of parents who would be sent to mind the IT side of the business in the early 80 till the late 90's.

In those days, reading Manga (in English) watching Anime and collecting figures was the norm and I didn't feel anything apart nor did I find myself standing out because the kids near me did such as well. Comming to Canada in '97 I found I was totally different than anything else because my outlook and my living style was totally different. Its currently 10 yrs since I have been in Canada and I still am the same. If i get a chance I will go back because those were the best years of my life.

Do I blame myself? No, I accept it as who I am. I grew up with this, I find no reason to chuck it out now.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    To me the whole weeaboo concept revolves not around consumption of Japanese Pop culture but baseless and fanatical glorification of the actual Japanese culture.
    There is a difference between saying that anime is the coolest thing ever, and claiming that Japanese society a million times more advanced than western counterpart.

muninn on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My Otaku-ness as always been a part of me since I can remember. It really helps if you have grown up in East Asian countries of Thiland, Indonesia, Cambobia, Singapore and Malaysia as a child of parents who would be sent to mind the IT side of the business in the early 80 till the late 90's.

In those days, reading Manga (in English) watching Anime and collecting figures was the norm and I didn't feel anything apart nor did I find myself standing out because the kids near me did such as well. Comming to Canada in '97 I found I was totally different than anything else because my outlook and my living style was totally different. Its currently 10 yrs since I have been in Canada and I still am the same. If i get a chance I will go back because those were the best years of my life.

You will realize you probably consider those the best years of your life because you have forgotten the massive amount of shit that every culture has.

Anybody who doesn't like the Triplets of Belleville can die in a fire. France also has The King and the Mockingbird.

Couscous on
  • Options
    deadmilkmandeadmilkman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

Have him do basic research on how the Japanese treat Korean residance.....Its along the lines of how Beverly Hills treats a poor black guy.

Also...point out that in any modern day anime, if someone is in a public setting and different, people stare and whisper. Tell him that would extend to just about anyone who doesn't fit the normal appearance of a Japanese man/woman/child in appropriate dress, including the fact that if he was American, they would do that to him.

deadmilkman on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »

I can't skate. Will I magically be able to skate?
    Everybody can skate in Hell.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DonaldRumsfeldDonaldRumsfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you ask why people think Japan is cooler than Europe

short answer: Ninjas

how many shows can I find on cable that originate from France or Germany? how many shows can I find on cable that originate from Japan? maybe nobody cares about Germany, France, UK, and China because they are not as cool. isn't the media industry an open market? if Germany was as cool as Japan we would see a lot more of what Germany thinks is cool but we dont because what Germany thinks is cool obviously sucks because it has no market share

how retarded would Teenage Mutant Musketeer Turtles be? pretty retarded

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

how many shows can I find on cable that originate from France or Germany? how many shows can I find on cable that originate from Japan? maybe nobody cares about Germany, France, UK, and China because they are not as cool. isn't the media industry an open market? if Germany was as cool as Japan we would see a lot more of what Germany thinks is cool but we dont because what Germany thinks is cool obviously sucks because it has no market share

I find it's good to start one's day with a healthy dose of stupid. My day is starting off well.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The fuck? How can you not like French comics? What the flying fuck is wrong with Chinese kung-fu movies? Since when is British humor not cool? Who honestly didn't like Der Untergang or Good Bye Lenin! ?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Germany did give us the best human villains that can be killed without worrying if it is morally correct to kill them.
    Does Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon count as Chinese?
    Belgia gave use both the Smurfs and Tintin.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

The fuck? How can you not like French comics? What the flying fuck is wrong with Chinese kung-fu movies? Since when is British humor not cool? Who honestly didn't like Der Untergang or Good Bye Lenin! ?

How could you forget Asterix and Tin Tin?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Germany did give us the best human villains that can be killed without worrying if it is morally correct to kill them.
    *Belgium, you cunt.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    *Belgium, you cunt.

God damn it, I'm retarded.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    *Belgium, you cunt.

Glad we're on the same page. :P

Anyway, you can't say Western comics without saying Belgium, there's so much comics from there its scary. =)

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    *Belgium, you cunt.

It's okay, man. Belgium is basically France Lite, anyways.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    yea clearly I am wrong and everybody is buying french comics and Kung Fu movies sell better than japanese animation and games combined

do you guys not know that capitalism solves everything?

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    yea clearly I am wrong and everybody is buying french comics and Kung Fu movies sell better than japanese animation and games combined

What the fuck are you on?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What the fuck are you on?

I want a year's supply of it.

Look, just because you don't buy French comics doesn't mean anything.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2007

No, see, if something is more prevalent, it means it's objectively better. That's the only explanation. Are you denying that reality television is the most awesome thing ever? Doubt you the undeniably quality of American Idol? Surely these things aren't all over the damned place because of subjective opinion, ease and cheapness of distribution, and adherence to the power of market fads. It's not like redubbing a 30 minute anime show is a lot easier and more transparent than dubbing a 30 minute live-action German show. No, clearly all things Japanese are just better.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I can't tell if you're be sarcastic or are actually this winkingly retarded.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    who said cooler = better? you guys are just looking to flame somebody

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't think Japanese pop culture is cool.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Well, that's generally what cooler means, in colloquial terms.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Well, that's generally what cooler means, in colloquial terms.
    no thats too general

a car can be really cool but another not so cool car can be better overall

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Europe isn't cool? Need I instruct you to look at the CRUSADES? Or the ROMAN EMPIRE? That shit was awesome.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Europe isn't cool? Need I instruct you to look at the CRUSADES? Or the ROMAN EMPIRE? That shit was awesome.
    ...I'm from Europe.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    The Roman Emperors > the Japanese Emperors.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Someone should totally do a Roman Empire based anime

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Only in Japan could Caligula fit in.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2007

Well, we have 300. That's sort of close.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Well, we have 300. That's sort of close.

No, a Roman Empire anime would have giant mecha robots with legionnaire armor and laser lances and super-gundanium gladius'.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Dogtanian and The Three Muskehounds call you a dirty, dirty liar.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    German, Chinese and French animation suck.
    Dirty, dirty lies. Can't say about right now, but France has produced a staggering amount of timeless animation. Hell, a whole bunch of anime from the 80s were France-Japan collaborations.

The Triplets of Belleville was utter trash.

Japan has Cowboy Bebop. Pwn.

France has Fantastic Planet.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The thing that irks me about "Japanophiles" is that by focusing exclusively on the foreign-ness of this one country, they have put these cultural blinders on that makes it difficult to see the wonderful parts of their own country, or the other countries in the world that also have a fair amount to offer. I've seen this happen with "Russiaphiles" and "Francophiles" too, but never to the extreme that happens with Japan. Sure, maybe I'd like to visit Japan, but there's a whole damn world out there that deserves my interest, including the United States. To ignore these places is to do a disservice to yourself on almost every level.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
This discussion has been closed.