Options

Locked because of Katchem_ashe

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    Someone should totally do a Roman Empire based anime

B0000844KS.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Close, Greek. It's fucking horrid though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Someone should totally do a Roman Empire based anime

Well, we have 300. That's sort of close.

No, a Roman Empire anime would have giant mecha robots with legionnaire armor and laser lances and super-gundanium gladius'.

It would basically be Reign except in a different time period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_(anime)
    Edit: damn it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Thanks to the popularity of anime, manga, and other parts of Japanese culture, Japanophilia is on the rise. I will admit to not knowing a lot about Japan. However, what I do know is not gained from manga and other parts of the entertainment industry of Japan. An increasing number of people are getting what they know about Japan through the crap they have on TV there. Imagine how fucked up a person's view of America would be if the only things they knew about it were gained from MTV, 24, Simpsons, and Family Guy. This is what is essentially happening with Japan. From hearing some people talk about Japan, you would think that Shinto is one of the main forces behind their actions. Japanophiles have become annoying on some websites. Why do people have such a love for Japanese culture instead of German, Chinese, or French culture?

this is the impression other countries have of america. (see: tv)

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    chitowncowboychitowncowboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Doug is animation at it's finest. And its ours.

Suck it!

chitowncowboy on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Suck it!

Holy shit, I hate Doug so much.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »

Suck it!

Holy shit, I hate Doug so much.
    A response in pictures.
    grim_reaper.jpg
    in a
    campfire.jpg

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I always wanted to go to Reaper Camp!

Furu on
  • Options
    StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One of the things I hate most about the wapanese (wanna be Japanese) is their inability to accept the truth about their beloved Nippon. I've studied the language, history, geography, and business of Japan. Most anime fans don't believe that the Japanese committed warcrimes, some of which sickened and disturbed their Nazi counterparts. They deny these things because they fly in the face of their belief in Japan as an egalitarian, high tech utopia. Did you know that Japanese officers routinely beheaded Chinese citizens for sport? Were you aware of incidents of vivisection and cannibalism in prison camps? Moreover, are you aware that women in Japan face daily discrimination in the workplace with little or no legal recourse? Why, to an anime, all they need to do is pull out a big hammer from nowhere and bash their 'ecchi' boss over the head. Of course, in reality they turn to alcoholism and an abusive spouse since the culture doesn't allow for female assertiveness or actual rights for women. As a sidenote, any wapanese will tell you that a katana can cut through a house and that Musashi once used his dai-sho to fell a mountain that looked at him funny.

And while they're off pining for fictional Japan, they fail to appreciate actual Japanese culture. I find the music of the koto and of the shakuhachi both to be quite beautiful. Traditional Japanese (read as: Chinese artform with a Japanese style) ink art is particularly captivating.

Of course, I hate many other things about the wapanese. I could write a book.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One of the things I hate most about the wapanese (wanna be Japanese) is their inability to accept the truth about their beloved Nippon. I've studied the language, history, geography, and business of Japan. Most anime fans don't believe that the Japanese committed warcrimes, some of which sickened and disturbed their Nazi counterparts. They deny these things because they fly in the face of their belief in Japan as an egalitarian, high tech utopia. Did you know that Japanese officers routinely beheaded Chinese citizens for sport? Were you aware of incidents of vivisection and cannibalism in prison camps? Moreover, are you aware that women in Japan face daily discrimination in the workplace with little or no legal recourse? Why, to an anime, all they need to do is pull out a big hammer from nowhere and bash their 'ecchi' boss over the head. Of course, in reality they turn to alcoholism and an abusive spouse since the culture doesn't allow for female assertiveness or actual rights for women. As a sidenote, any wapanese will tell you that a katana can cut through a house and that Musashi once used his dai-sho to fell a mountain that looked at him funny.

And while they're off pining for fictional Japan, they fail to appreciate actual Japanese culture. I find the music of the koto and of the shakuhachi both to be quite beautiful. Traditional Japanese (read as: Chinese artform with a Japanese style) ink art is particularly captivating.

I...I don't think people like that actually exist.

And if they did, why would you care? It'd be like caring crazy people live in a mental home.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Regarding my previous post, those people do exist and I encountered them repeatedly throughout my education as my area of study is business in East Asia. While they don't actually believe one can pull hammers from nowhere, they also don't believe that women are treated poorly in Japanese society. One of them, a fellow I refer to as 'Wapanese Stereotype Chris, ' really did believe that katanas are supernaturally sharp. A friend of mine has a WWII officer's sword that his great grandfather pulled off a dead soldier during the war. He agreed to show it to Chris. Chris maintains that the sword was incapable of cutting through cars because it wasn't made by Masamune or Murasashi. Chris is not fictional but he is still a joke. Chris helped to found an Anime Club. Most of them scheduled their classes together and many of them were in my classes. They would literally argue that the Rape of Nanqing did not happen. They dropped the Asian Art class, a study of Art in E, S, and SE Asia with discussion of its historical and cultural significance, because it did not feature any manga.

I said that I hate the Wapanese for many reasons. Perhaps my greatest hatred of them is due to their common misconception that I am among their number. At some point, to them, learning a foreign language and studying another culture became equivalent to being an anime fanboy that idolizes an imaginary Japan.

StephenB.2006 on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hate anime.

Ok, not really, but I've found an intense and growing dislike as a result of saturation. Even anime I once has become irritating and trite. I remember quite clearly my initial exposure; Robotech, then shitty imported copies of Bubblegum Crisis with no sound or no dubbing/subbing. It seemed so cool, so different, so "adult". It wasn't really linked with anything Japanese, though (at least in my group of friends). Just that Japanese people made badass cartoons with guns and tits.

The fact that so many apprehend and consume these partial bits of Japanese culture, then wear its desiccated skin as some sort of identity, drives me nuts. I hate being exposed to it, and it's extremely hard to avoid.

Having seen Inuyasha fifty times doesn't fucking make you Japanese.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I do want to get a little more good Jpop. Who should I be listening to? I like happy stuff, but I also like stuff like eyes on me (I know nothing about Jpop, so most of my examples come from video games)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

Japanese teachers across the whole country have been pushing for new textbooks that tell the goddamn truth instead of outright lying to Japanese children about what happened during WWII for quite a while now. And a large portion of the populace is in favor of disarming the self-defense force. Oh, and J-Rock is the ultimate in delicously cheesy music. It will actually overpower most popular techno even on a weaker stereo. That's useful when you live with inconsiderate ass-clowns. I so don't miss either of those tools.

Yes, some douchetards are retarded in love with Japan. This puts Japan right up there with Ford, Chevy, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Linux, and television. This shouldn't be a surprise, I mean shit, you know people.

Edit: Oh and hey, Ketchum? Anime is not a genre. Don't talk like it is or I'll think of something unpleasant and/or irritating to do in retaliation.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like Japan. I've always found it interesting, as far back as I can remember. I suppose initially, it was someone telling me that all the games I loved playing came from Japan, back when I was a kid. These days though, I just find the culture to be interesting, especially the seemingly endless struggle between older Japanese culture and their younger generations.

I would like to live there some day, if only for a few years (I'm thinking about doing one of those English-teaching things once I finish with school)

I dunno what's up with people like Ash though, most Japanese media, much like most media anywhere else, is fucking terrible.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    East. West. Some of us like their stuff, some of them like our stuff. Some like it too much. Some of them like it too much as well. Everyone else not involved ridicules them, and everyone involved ridicules those as well. Both get on high-horses and think of themselves as superior. It's a vicious cycle. A stupid one.

The day somebody who refers to himself as Otaku has an opinion on Japanophilia worth hearing is the day we can all play Ice Hockey in hell.

I blame it on the misfortune of being too goddamned lazy to think of a new name and having to update every last person on my AIM list.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I do want to get a little more good Jpop. Who should I be listening to? I like happy stuff, but I also like stuff like eyes on me (I know nothing about Jpop, so most of my examples come from video games)

Malice Mizer is unintentionally fucking hilarious. And kind of catchy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PillsAreNicePillsAreNice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Japanophilia/weeabooism isn't a new thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafcadio_Hearn

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my game reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=strangegamer
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hi, my name's Kevin, and I'm a recovering Japanophile.

I liked anime before I even knew what it was (thank you, Robotech), but my first real anime 'experience' was in the mid 90's when the Sci-Fi Channel had an anime festival every year. My first film? One of the Project A-Ko films. Then, Vampire Hunter D. From then on, I was hooked.

Up until a few years ago, my view of Japan was based entirely on anime and other forms of pop Japanese culture (I call this my "olol samurai, video games, and anime" period). Then, being the relatively smart guy I'd like to think I am, I decided to do a bit of research on the actual country. I figured that the best way to learn about modern Japan would be to view it in the current moment. So, I found a website that deals with all things Japan (http://www.japan-guide.com), and read through their message boards and read the English translations of their daily newspapers (I'm an Asahi Shimbun fan, myself). And you know what? Japan is a real place with interesting people and geography and history, and all of the warts and blemishes you would expect from such a place.

While I didn't realize that women's rights were so neglected, as pointed out a few messages above me, I did learn about the country's love/hate relationship with foreigners. I did learn about a rather brutal (compared to ours) prison system, and (in my mind) a sometimes corrupt justice system (see Hoire's slap on the wrist for the Livedoor debacle).

I keep getting a class/culture warfare vibe from what I read. Ancient culture vs. hypermodern reality of their economics and media. Old salarymen and the rigid culture of business vs. disillusioned youth, including the hikikomori at the extreme end of the spectrum. The whole WWII denial thing, including the former Prime Minister's insistance of visiting that shrine for fallen soldiers (including war criminals), thereby pissing off the rest of his Asian counterparts.

In a way, I think learning a bit of the real Japan has only deepened my fascination with the country. Rightly or wrongly, I am interested in the differences in our cultures. But, at the same time, I'm also interested in finding the similarities. Being disabled, I'm very interested in learning about how people with physical disabilities are treated over there. Are they shunned? Accepted? Is accessability an issue? What kind of state-provided benefits do the disabled get? Are they allowed to enter the workplace? Are there any anti-discrimination laws protecting the disabled? Are there any technologies that Japan uses in equipment for the disabled that we in the West haven't discovered yet?

I still enjoy anime. And, because of the Anime Network, I've discovered that J-pop isn't too bad, although the only artist I can say I really enjoy is Mika Nakashima. But I think my appreciation for these things has only grown through me slowly learning about the real Japan.

But, yeah, to get back on point, the "olol I wanna go to Japan to become a samurai and become the next batosai with the reverse-blade sword and everything" people do suck. Fuck them for ruining it for those of us that are more or less rational about our hobbies.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Carol VordermanCarol Vorderman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like Japan. I've always found it interesting, as far back as I can remember. I suppose initially, it was someone telling me that all the games I loved playing came from Japan, back when I was a kid. These days though, I just find the culture to be interesting, especially the seemingly endless struggle between older Japanese culture and their younger generations.

I would like to live there some day, if only for a few years (I'm thinking about doing one of those English-teaching things once I finish with school)

I dunno what's up with people like Ash though, most Japanese media, much like most media anywhere else, is fucking terrible.
    I feel pretty much the same way about it

I've always thought the "omg japan" kids were pretty crazy, and this theory solidified in my freshman year of high school. I saw a poster for an anime club at school, so I thought, "huh, I like anime, I should check it out."

Upon entering I saw someone reading a manga in Japanese. "Oh, cool, you know how to read that?" "Ha, no." "Then why are you reading it?" "Because Japanese people are the coolest." Then 20 people asked me if I had ever seen Naruto, in succession.

Lots of edits: Pressed 'submit' when I meant 'preview'

I never went back, and luckily, because they got their asses kicked in the school dodgeball tournament.

Now I'm learning Japanese, but I don't tell anyone because they start rattling off random phrases they heard from an anime, completely out of context. I want to live there at some point, though I don't think I'm delusional about their society. I don't really base any opinions about the place from anime or whatever, and I found out how crazy in war they were from one of my best friends, his grandpa had been a prisoner in a camp there for around 3 years.

Carol Vorderman on
    lincolnhi9lg8.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What I'm getting from this thread - since I haven't ever been to Japan - is that if I do actually go, I will not actually see giant robots battling with vibroswords mid-air while pedestrians go screaming underfoot, randomly being crushed underneath caterpillar tanks and the like.

This depresses me.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Has anyone ever heard that Japan is making moves toward Gundam-like technology, just as we are getting closer to Star Trek technology?

chitowncowboy on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Gundams win.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Has anyone ever heard that Japan is making moves toward Gundam-like technology, just as we are getting closer to Star Trek technology?

The more complicated the machine, the less likely it will ever see the battlefield; if they are then let them. One well aimed shot from an AT-4 and you have a completely useless pile of technology. Money down the drain.

h3ndu on
    Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    What I'm getting from this thread - since I haven't ever been to Japan - is that if I do actually go, I will not actually see giant robots battling with vibroswords mid-air while pedestrians go screaming underfoot, randomly being crushed underneath caterpillar tanks and the like.

This depresses me.
    yeah I was really planning on meeting a huge breasted chick who hangs out with a comically lesbian chick

disappointment

Carol Vorderman on
    lincolnhi9lg8.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sigh. It is true that they purchased and refitted a couple of F14s with railguns.

Regarding changes, yeah, and evidently today or yesterday Prime Minister Abe made a half-hearted apology/denial about comfort women. Maybe in a few years Japan will finally be able to confront its imperial, sometimes evil past. Who knows? It would certainly improve relations with China and the Koreas if they did so.

But the Wapanese will never accept it.

StephenB.2006 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Naruto is on.

/leaves

chitowncowboy on
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WapaneseWapaneseWapaneseWapaneseWapanesedammit

Your neologism is not catching on and is as irritating and counterproductive as spelling it "Window$" in debates involving Microsoft. Please drop it.
    titmouse wrote: »
    After reading a few journal pages by a black school teacher in Japan

Would you have a link? I'd be interested in reading this.

Synonymous on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Unless there's another blog by another black guy in japan this is the only link i know.

http://www.gaijinsmash.net/

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    Unless there's another blog by another black guy in japan this is the only link i know.

Speaking of incredible families though, Ms. A points out one ichinensei girl to me. She's a nice, sweet girl, lovely smile, listened quietly all throughout class, and volunteered to help collect papers at the end of the class. Handed them to Ms. A with a smile, and quietly returned to her seat. Ms. A comes over to me and says, "You won't believe this, but that's the little sister of the worst bastard sannensei boy."

My jaw hits the FLOOR.

Its difficult to call this boy the absolute worst bastard. Certainly, in terms of defiance, destruction, and outright nastiness, there were others who exceeded him. However, where the other boys seemed to specialize in one specific area, this little shit was bad all across the board. I haven't talked about him much, as I hate him and don't really want to talk about him. He was the boy who did tell me once "Now, you can't just fuck your girlfriend".

So that these two were from the same gene pool, much less the same household, was absolutely mind-numbing. I couldn't help but to wonder how one set of parents could raise Satan Incarnate, and a Heavenly Angel, at the same fuckin' time. I guess all we can do is chalk her up as another glitch in The Matrix.

ROFL, I love this guy. I think I've seen this link before, but even so...hilarious.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The Pillows are pure love in audio form.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cantide wrote: »

Man the Pillows are great, and their engrish is exceptional. "Thunder Whales Picnic"? "Biscuit Hammer"? Sign me up.

Freebee Honey is probably my favorite song by them

Carol Vorderman on
    lincolnhi9lg8.gif
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Synonymous wrote: »
    WapaneseWapaneseWapaneseWapaneseWapanesedammit

Your neologism is not catching on and is as irritating and counterproductive as spelling it "Window$" in debates involving Microsoft. Please drop it.

You don't seem to mind "weeaboo" being used throughout the title, what's different about "wapanese"?
    BigJoeM wrote: »

Azrael is great. His story about the little girl's owl is one of the sweetest things I've ever read.
    azraelbc2.jpg

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Japanophiles that really bug me are the ones who will only listen to J-pop, J-rock, game music, or something that came from an anime series. There's good music from all of these genres, but it drives me up the god damn wall when people won't listen to anything else.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cantide wrote: »

Some stuff from L'Arc~en~Ciel is pretty good.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »

Azrael is great. His story about the little girl's owl is one of the sweetest things I've ever read.
    azraelbc2.jpg

Right Click > Save as.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If only Rome had lasted another thousand years and made it all the way East.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »

azraelbc2.jpg

Right Click > Save as.

moar!

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Some of those newer articles on his site are kinda depressing. :(

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You don't seem to mind "weeaboo" being used throughout the title, what's different about "wapanese"?

Stephen's persistent confidence in its cleverness is entirely unwarranted, and using it over and over, insisting that it catch on, is like trying to sell me typhoid.

Synonymous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Your perception of my diction as being designed to gain your approval suggests a great deal of vanity. I don't really care if you like my terminology. You will find that I use explicit nouns instead of pronouns in all cases where the use of pronouns may lead to confusion. For instance, in a paragraph wherein I refer to the Japanese and the Wapanese, the word 'they' might not be understood to refer to the correct group. In summary, LOL.

Stay tuned for more When Wapanese Attack, next on DnD.

StephenB.2006 on
This discussion has been closed.