The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Ignite Your Spark

• toaster_pimptoaster_pimp Registered User regular
    awesome - a nice loooong episode

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I was quite disappointed that they only got 90 minutes, I know the idea is to put them under pressure but really, is that even remotely realistic? Would love to see what they could do with 4-5 hours at least. And I was surprised by the fact that they seemed to have to use their own art supplies. Perhaps they were told when they were accepted to the show that they'd have to bring all their own stuff? Would be interested to know if anyone from the house could comment?

Azaminoduddles
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Or just "Ron" Registered User regular
    Great, now I have to sit here until Friday.

Also, I wonder if the elimination challenge word jumbles will get even worse over time.

Why can't we just once have people draw out Star Wars and Dicks or Trolls and Dating.

• ShpydarShpydar Brampton, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Was it just me or did anyone else really want their own magic bag and it's contents.... Heck just the bag,

I mean really, who doesn't want to pull out a bag and say let's see what's in my bag of magic ... And it really is a bag ... Of magic

Shpydar on
    KoopahTroopah
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    From last week's episode, I thought for sure they'd be designing the Pinny Arcade Chandra! It's pretty cool that they're keeping the challenges fresh - how often do you get to design a skateboard deck? Maki's design was really good, it's just a shame about the colors, because her drawing the logo in fire was truly iconic and fit the tagline perfectly.

There are quite a few contenders for elimination this week - it feels like Erika and Maki are the two really "safe" contestants. While Katie's piece was good and I don't think her art was sexualized, Erika was shown saying how she wasn't too big a fan of the quintessential sexy pin-up style. Foreshadowing?

My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
    After all, just the day before, Mike was losing his shit and saying she should have been eliminated on the spot

I don't think so, I think he was saying that based on Abby's avatar artwork she should be up for the elimination challenge. I don't think Mike would say she should just be eliminated, no challenge.

I will say that while I agree with Mike about Abby's Avatar (the tangents, they burn us they do) but her art in this challenge did surprise me, I did think she only had that one style. I am really interested in watching her go up in her eventual elimination... She might just surprise Mike.

And as I said before, I love it when art surprises me.

Angry_SamoanDexOZ
  • d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    Oh you jerks. We don't get to know Erika's choices? Not cool, PA. Not cool.

Cambiata
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    All I can say is that seeing what they all put together in 90 minutes is highly depressing compared to what I could do in the same time frame. Maybe if I would spend more than 4-5 months every 2 years working on my own stuff...

They were all fantastic, and if it wasn't a competition and if they had all gotten to rework pieces after feedback picking a winner would have been significantly harder. I can't disagree with who they picked at all, though, that was spot on.

• GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    I somehow feel that Katie is going to get picked on again. I hope that if she does and she makes it back from another challenge that she starts playing for blood.

Evermourn wrote: »
    I was quite disappointed that they only got 90 minutes, I know the idea is to put them under pressure but really, is that even remotely realistic?

On paper I would agree with you, 90 minutes doesn't seem to be enough time... Yet with 90 minutes most of the artist produce a great piece, so in practice 90 minutes is enough.

I'll even say that looking back at all the challenges, most of these artist have done amazing work in the amounted time.

I'm seeing this gorilla style as being conducive to producing great art. The artist draw under high stress, where they can''t really second guess themselves or then spend time after they are done, over thinking their product, perhaps adding to it.

This keeps their art instinctive and I am impressed by what is produced under the stress of the clock.

• d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    I'd probably say my rankings go Erika>Monica>Maki>Tavis>Nick>Katie(it was a little off center)>Amy>Abby (Even her 'realistic' style has those annoying tangents)>Mac (His was just kinda mediocre this time around. No color either)

• sj_sj_ Registered User new member
    Not directly related with today's episode, but I just came up with an odd conspiracy theory that I wanted to share with you.

See how, in the StripSearch site, every menu option has an icon? Most of them are related with the menu option they represent, right?

Why the pineapple in the About section? Could it be telling us Maki is the winner of the competition?

• wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    First of all: loved Erika's idea... would have loved if Mac used a little bit of color so the element of fire could be detected right away, like the hair or the circle of fire.

I love the integrity, if I can call that, of this show.... The spirit and sportsmanship between all of them is something I don't commonly see.
    If this was a drama house I could see Katie saying "hold on, you sent me to elimination and now you want to use my markers?"

Well done on editing the decision to make us crave for a new episode.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Arenow wrote: »
    This episode belonged to Lexxy!! She would have done an awesome job there. Oh well.
    I was thinking this right when they revealed the challenge! I would *love* to see @Lexxy's take on that. Ah well, such is the nature of the show.

86diUMN.png5OEMupX.png
    blaghwn.mike
  • Chet_AwesomeladChet_Awesomelad Registered User new member
    SJ_: The house they're staying in is apparently pineapple-themed. The contestants mentioned it in the spray-paint episode.

Anana11
    edited April 2013
    Alright the episode was almost great ... Everything but the ending.

I am all for cliff hanger endings, they add to the tension and, if done right makes your audience want more ... This attempt at a cliff hanger didn't do that.

The first is that the show has a formula. We expect (based on previous episodes) to know who would be up for elimination. It creates great conversation about who we think will be eliminated, and defence of the two up for elimination. We are missing that today here in the comments.

That isn't to say they can't change their format but there should be an obvious reason for doing this for example;

If the last shot was of people yelling, or crying, or showing some kind of major stress or drama then we (the audience) would be going oh snap something major happened during the picking of those going up for elimination and that would justify changing the show format. We just didn't get that.

When you look at most reality shows and see how they end an episode with a cliff hanger there is great tension that is missing. Now if the show doesn't pay off that tension (it was manufactured through bad editing, or just non-existent) it is also a failed cliff hanger.

This show has marked as being something different, no extra drama manufactured by editing, so this ending, lacking any drama, and not following the shows established format is confusing, not exciting.

Shpydar on
    duddlesTheSpyder
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Shpydar wrote: »
    After all, just the day before, Mike was losing his shit and saying she should have been eliminated on the spot

I don't think so, I think he was saying that based on Abby's avatar artwork she should be up for the elimination challenge. I don't think Mike would say she should just be eliminated, no challenge.

I will say that while I agree with Mike about Abby's Avatar (the tangents, they burn us they do) but her art in this challenge did surprise me, I did think she only had that one style. I am really interested in watching her go up in her eventual elimination... She might just surprise Mike.

And as I said before, I love it when art surprises me.

No, he did say he wanted her to pack her bags and leave. But he was being emotional, and didn't really want that to happen.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Part of me wants the next episode to just ignore the elimination competition and just show those left behind playing Magic.

Falx
  • fx4dfx4d MarylandRegistered User new member
    @OBIROBKENOBI I would think a combination of really cute/young-looking Chandra wearing somewhat revealing clothing is actually worse than just an adult sexy Chandra. Remember this is not Penny Arcade, it's a game played by all ages and the very last thing Hasbro would want would be any sort of scandal. Also, the show is edited, so it's possible there's a lot more feedback we're just not seeing.

• foofoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    "Design a skateboard duck." Please tell me I'm not the only one who heard that when the challenge was introduced. (especially at 3:56)

I'm a little surprised that the judges didn't mention anything about fitting a narrow aspect of a skateboard. Quite a few of the pieces, including Maki's (which was great otherwise), really didn't fit the skateboard shape, but they did praise Erika for doing that part right.

I would hope that Erika won't hold the supposed sexiness of Katie's picture against her.

foo on
  • nerfherderhannerfherderhan Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Episode format change! Ach! Pulling the rug out from underneath us! As someone that skated for ~10 years and enjoyed solid deck art, Erika's layout was perfect. Especially with the hands right where the trucks are. Idk about other people that skateboarded, but when I was looking for a new deck with a graphic I liked, I hated it when part of the art was obscured by the hardware, so any one of those where the face would have been under the trucks, would have been a no-go for me. I know Hasbro is behind Magic, but I remember some pretty risque Magic cards from back in the day, and there were always 'sexy' skate decks (ie. anything from Hook Ups), so I wouldn't have discounted Katie's at all. I would have had a hard time choosing between a fully laid out Katie's design (with background and placement on the deck shape) and Erika's.

One of the best episodes yet guys! Yay art!

nerfherderhan on
    AzaminoKoopahTroopah
  • blaghblagh Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I love that this week's business challenge was also art-related - the potential for elimination is based as much around an artist's implicit strengths as their business-savvy-ness (pleasing a potential client). I hope more of the business challenges work like this!

Am also super-bummed that Lexxy didn't get a chance at this one!

blagh on
    escape908ShpydarKoopahTroopah
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    Great challenge! I submitted some artwork to Magic the Gathering once back in the day and would have loved to have taken part in this challenge. To get to work on someone's brand but do it in your style is pretty rare (Unless you're Mike) so it would have really been fun! This is the first time I really liked all the artwork and it would have been hard to pick a winner.

I agree some of them may not have fit the skateboard format aspect-wise, but the art was killer. Nice job Maki with the paints. Too bad the color pallet was skipped. I know with so much going on and so little time to produce, you sometimes get temporary tunnel vision and things slip thru the cracks. Great job everyone!

• Valkyrie721Valkyrie721 Registered User new member
    Katie's design is 'too sexy' but Tavis and Abby made her look too manly?

Sigh.

nerfherderhanzerzhulShpydar
  • HeyThereElizaHeyThereEliza Registered User regular
    Augh, spoil me now and tell me who is going into the elimination. Not who wins elimination, just who's going to be there. I have a sneaky suspicion one will be Abby as Mike said "Good luck, you're going to need it." and as we know, Mike HATES Abby.

Also, while I love Erika's design and her in general I would've loved to see Maki's design on a skateboard. They're right about Abby and Tavis' design. I wish he'd done it slightly less stylized because the pose itself was great.

• NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Hopefully Erika will choose Amy next episode. That girl's fear of the Elimination Round is really going to hurt her if she isn't able to confront and overcome it. For the past few episodes she's been going on about how happy she is to have delivered mediocre, milquetoast efforts that made no impression-- most artists would be miserable in such circumstances.

deathbears
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Erika isn't going to choose Amy.

What show are you watching?

walrus.png
    MichyGeary
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Erika isn't going to choose Amy.

What show are you watching?

The show where Nick sent Tavis to elimination recently.

zerzhultynanaideenAnialosthere'saforum?KoopahTroopah
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I don't understand this talk about "strategy" and "flying under the radar" in an attempt to win by being stealthy. Even if someone somehow won the competition using tactics like that, it wouldn't necessarily mean they're the best of the bunch. (Though they might be good at espionage.) It's a case where one may win the competition, but not the crowd. It was true in "Gladiator" all those thousands of years ago, and it still applies to this day.

Also, I have to echo the comments about today's ending. Perhaps there's a secret reason for the delay and we'll find out why on Friday and forgive it, but this episode doesn't have the tension that makes me hungry for the next. I feel more disappointment than excitement.

Now, what would REALLY be disappointing is if they do this again for the next episode. If they spend the first few minutes on Erika's choice, take us all through the elimination, but make us wait another episode to hear Mike and Jerry's decision, I'd have to call shenanigans. =( I need resolution at the end of these episodes!

Gethduddlesthere'saforum?StratoKoopahTroopahemarecksaykay
  • eagleagl Registered User regular
    Not sure if its just me but the PATV site has been badly broken for me for about a week. I use MSIE. The comments don't show. Clicking comments bar jumps me to the top of the page.

As for the episode, I liked it but was hoping that we would see a sequence of all the artwork. The spoilers page doesn't have anything from this challenge yet, or maybe it does but I only see the content from the spray painting garage episode.

duddles
  • Viktor WaltersViktor Walters fair enough Registered User regular
    copperkat wrote: »
    Mac did nothing of what they asked for. No color and barely their main character.

Actually if you look at the Magic 2013 packs Mac was doing pretty much precisely their design. I was struck once I saw the final version, it looked so evocative of this (spoilers because I don't wanna take up a bunch of page real-estate):
    Magic-2013-Fat-Pack-Contents-615x385.jpg

While the piece wasn't super focused on Chandra, the fire is obviously Chandra's thing and the design was so clean and nice for a skateboard that I would have loved to see that. It may have been a bit too vertically directed for a deck, though, as most designs for decks seem to be radially balanced from the center.

It seemed to me the judges this time were told to play up the pickiness of work-for-hire clients. The fact that the critique consisted of stuff like Chandra "looked too much like a man" (which is an incredible thing to hear in general, considering she just didn't look like a sex object in those) or "was too sexy" (which has never bothered M:tG in the past) is either evidence of them doing a pretty good super specific client act or being the real deal.

Something I didn't see at all in this episode (though maybe it was cut out with the editing) was the artists actually showing roughs/thumbnails or asking specific questions about their direction. You have to assume the client isn't an artist and isn't telling you the whole deal. With 90 minutes to finish, getting a real rapport started with the client is pretty impossible but the artists didn't even try. I'm sure it would have been a good point in their favor if they had. It would have been interesting to see how that would have changed the competition. Some of the things that took points away from certain artists could have been easily fixed with just a little checking with the client.

Of course, again, with that timeframe, maybe the fault lies in the challenge itself. It would have better shown the Strippers how to work with a client if they had more time and were given a hint that it would be a good idea to start a dialogue with the client.

As to the overall episode... All of the artists make me incredibly jealous and I am determined to step up my game. Keep being art badasses, guys.

Pokemon, to ignore the horrible terrible world. Friend Code: 3609-1288-7086
    DexOZ
  • JayeEmmJayeEmm Registered User regular
    I would just like to say that this show is the reason I'm late to work on Tuesdays and Fridays. I could get up earlier to make sure I had enough time to watch it before work, but that would involve, you know, getting up earlier.

When the episode got towards the end I was going "Ok there are 20 seconds left, she's just going to blurt out her choices for elimination - now! Go! No...? Noooo!"

• staplegun07staplegun07 Registered User regular
    Holy wow! Maki's art was incredible! I mean, they all were, but I could see his art on a print and hanging on a wall no problem, though I completely agree with the final decision...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @eagl so far there has been a major delay between episode releases and spoiler page releases for most episodes. I'm sure it will be up later today.

86diUMN.png5OEMupX.png
  • eagleagl Registered User regular
    I figured out why the PATV page was broken. Turning on MSIE tracking protection completely destroys the site. Too bad. I have tracking protection turned on because after researching a replacement toilet part, every website I visited had a stupid toilet ad on it. Tracking protection fixed that. I'd rather have PATV broken than see 200 toilet ads each day.

webofink
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    There were some really great submissions here. I loved, in no particular order, the designs submitted by Katie, Maki, and Nick the most. Erika's was solid but wouldnt have been my first choice. I, too, like others before me, object to the "too sexy" criticism leveled at Katie's piece. #1. This is going on a skateboard. Have you seen some of those designs out there? #2. How many Terese Nielsen cards are there? She is one of my favorite Magic artists and many of her pieces (featuring both males and females) are extremely sexy. Elvish Ranger, anyone?

http://www.magicdeckvortex.com/ART3/elvish_ranger_art_by_terese_nielsen.jpg

For a more recent example from a newer set: Basandra, Battle Seraph
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=236490

There are far sexier Magic cards than what Katie turned in.

• nerfherderhannerfherderhan Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Thinking on the delay of the elimination choices and Erika's judgment of her work, I'm thinking she has the chutzpah to send herself to elimination with someone. That's about the only crazy twist I can think of to explain the delay of the decision being shown till Friday.

TofystedethTheSpyder
  • Joetown17Joetown17 Just some guy TorontoRegistered User regular
    I miss Lexxy. :(

escape908Peter Ebelwebofink
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I don't think the issue is that Katie's piece was "too sexy" exactly. It's that Chandra is not typically "sexed up", and that is something they want to adhere to for marketing the upcommin Core Set and tie in video game.

Also Nick I know how bad this one must have stung! I agree with you making her angry. I don't know what in the hell those people were talking about in highlighting her "spunk" when every card with her name on it is her being angry: http://magiccards.info/query?q=chandra&v=card&s=cname

Edit: Forgot this was pre-spoilered page :)

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    seegruKoopahTroopahfraggy
  • lavonialavonia Registered User regular
    I think 90 minutes was an adequate time frame to create a reasonably finished piece of conceptual work. Ideally, a bit more time would work, but it's supposed to be a challenge so they want to push the time frame.

MTG does plenty of sexualized pieces, however they did mention it was going to be a skatedeck which I would assume might go more in the area of trying to sell to younger people. So in that case, too much leg wouldn't fly for a finished product though I don't know if the clients made a point of that fact? However, it was a solid piece, so for skill's sake I'd hope Katie wouldn't go up. Guess, we'll see.

Is it fair for the clients to be judgmental for things that maybe should have been made clear beforehand? Who knows, but the it's the truth of the way the art industry works. You may not get all the information, you have to do some inferring of your own and even then who knows what one client may want.