As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] INTO THE ODD - Horrific, Rules-Lite D&D

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Uh.. how big is the statue? Trying to gather the pieces would be quite silly if it is man-sized.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    The chunks of statue fit into Alfonso's pack easily enough. Complete, it's probably a couple of feet tall. Not worth anything in their current state, though.

Heading East, toward the torchlight, involves a crawl through the dirt-coated tunnels.

As you reach the torchlight, you crawl out of an opening into another tiny room, similar to size to the kiln room. All of you are just barely able to fit into the room together. The light it coming from a discarded torch on the rim of a pit dug into the ground. Peering inside, it's full of typical looking grain.

You can hear the barking sound a little more clearly now. Sounds like it's coming from the northern branch of the tunnel you just crawled through.

The room has a single exit, a tunnel leading further East into the darkness. There's an oddly unpleasant, fruity smell coming from that direction, like a combination of strawberry jam and boot polish.

"If we flee into the darkness we risk running into more of these creatures.. however, only one of them can fit in this tunnel at a time. It might be better to face them here."

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    "Good point but I don't know that we have room to fight in here... Still, we don't have many alternatives. Alright, let's set up to make a stand. Does anyone have a spare firearm?"

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    "You know how to use this?" Cenk asks, offering his musket. "I'll use my bow."

"Now, hold this end, and point that end at the thing you want to die."

"I'll stand back here."

edited May 2013
    "..Why do you carry a bow and a musket, anyhow?" Alfonso asks as he drops to one knee in front of the tunnel to allow the group to form a firing line, rifle at ready. A volley or two ought to do it in before it gets here, he thinks.

Grey Paladin on
    Kairon accepts the offered musket and kneels beside Alfonso. "Thank you, Cenk. I've fired one before, not to worry."

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Hansel stands by his kneeling allies, rifle at the ready.

"A proper musket line. This is more my style!"

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Tiris frowns, looking at the Musket, Pistol and Sword he has. Mumbling to himself, "At least I'm prepared..." he readies his musket.

• BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    "At least I'm--Dammit Tiris!

"Funny story about that, actually. I'll try to remember to share it if we survive this afternoon."

Apologies for the slow weekend. Back in action, now!
    Forming a cramped gun-line, you take aim at the tunnel leading into the room.

The grunting and barking grows louder, with alarming speed. Seconds later, another one of the large creatures bursts out of the darkness, trying to force itself into the room.

You can make out the sounds of at least one other creature behind this one.

Tiris pulls the trigger, firing at the first beast through the opening.
    And probably misses.
    Musket Damage: 1d6+1 = 2 (1)

Kairon fires when Tiris' gun goes off.
    Geth roll 1d6+1

1d6+1 2 [1d6=1]

Tiris and Kairon's shots blast the walls either side of the tunnel, sending up a cloud of dust, but entirely missing the target.

Cenk looses an arrow through the thickening powder smoke.
    Geth roll 1d6

1d6 2 [1d6=2]

"Don't let up until its carcass lies in front of us, men!"

Hansel unloads his musket at the beast.
    Geth roll 1d6+1

1d6+1 5 [1d6=4]

Alfonso joins the second volley.
    Geth roll 1d6+1

1d6+1 5 [1d6=4]

edited May 2013
    7 damage to the creature in total. Down to roughly half it's hp
    The creature lunges forward, shots glancing it's thick hide. It's jaws swing open as it hurls itself towards Cenk, knocking him to the ground.

Cenk is forced to grip the beast's dripping teeth to try and stop the jaws clamping around him.
    5 damage to Cenk. STR Save to avoid critical damage.

Meanwhile, you hear a second beast hauling itself through the tunnel in the wake of the first. Sounds like at least one more behind it.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited May 2013
    Geth roll 1d20

So, does that put my str (orig. 12) at 9 or 7?

1d20 19 [1d20=19]

Bhow on
    edited May 2013
    The creature's teeth slowly push into to Cenk's torso, barely able to hold the jaws from crushing him completely. He feels the sickening crunch of a rib breaking.
    5 critical damage means you lose 5 STR. Hurt but still up and fighting with 7STR and 0hp. Over to you guys!

SUPERSUGA on
    Through clenched teeth, Cenk gurgles "Gergl geah.."
    "Little help?"

edited May 2013
    Tiris drops his Musket and draws his sword, stabbing it towards the creature attacking Cenk.
    Geth roll 1d6 for Sword Damage

Short Damage:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

am0n on
    Kairon events to using his hatchet and swings wildly at the best chewing on Cenk.
    geth roll 1d6

1d6 4 [1d6=4]

"Not today you foul beastie!"

Hansel drops his musket and hacks into the creature with his axe.
    Geth roll 1d6

1d6 2 [1d6=2]

As the group wade in with their melee weapons, Hansel's axe finds a soft spot in the beast's neck. It barks out in pain, releasing, Cenk.
    A couple of points of Critical Damage, but it's still fighting.

edited May 2013
    Presuming that the rest have given me the window to reload, can I fire at the creature point-blank or do I have to switch to melee? I am willing to take bonus damage if the beast attacks me to represent Alfonso being less able to defend himself with a ranged weapon.

Grey Paladin on
    You're able to use your ranged weapon as normal.

Alfonso attempts to push the barrel's end against the creature's body before firing, hoping a contact shot will do the trick.
    Geth roll 1d6+1

1d6+1 3 [1d6=2]

Alfonso blasts the creature at point blank range. It's barely able to twist in time to avoid a killing shot, but is blooded by the shot all the same.
    Failed Save, takes 2 points of Critical Damage. Still fighting, but starting to suffer now.

@Cenk you can still act before the creatures get their turn, as you were freed from the jaws.

Already clutching an arrow in his fist, Cenk gasps as the jaws release him, and wide-eyed, plunges the arrow into the beast's hairy back.
    Geth roll 1d6 (assuming I can use an arrow as a hand weapon)

(assuming I can use an arrow as a hand weapon):
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

As an arrow is going to be a pretty poor weapon, we'll say 1d6-1 damage, in this case 4. The creature makes its Save.
    Cenk is unable to pierce the beast's thick flesh with the arrow.

The wounded creature thrashes about the room in a panic. Alfonso gets knocked back against the stone wall with a thud.
    Alfonso takes 3 damage, 3hp remaining.

The second beast, just now squeezing into the room snaps straight for Kairon. Luckily, his glowing field manages to protect him from the creature's bite.
    Just the 1 point of damage, after taking Armour into account. Kairon down to 1hp.

A third beast lurks in the tunnel, but the room is packed tight with combatants. It resigns itself to barking threateningly into the fray.
    Back on you guys.

Stumbling backward, Cenk rebounds lightly from the stone wall. Shaking the fog from his eyes, he draws back the bowstring, targets the wounded beast and releases.
    Geth roll 1d6

1d6 5 [1d6=5]

In its thrashing fit, the creature manages to avoid Cenk's arrow.
    Creature1 made its save

The dazed soldier takes a moment to shake the stars from his eyes. He then drops his musket and draws his saber, the very motion of unsheathing the blade becoming an attack against the injured beast's underside in these tight quarters.
    Geth roll 1d6

1d6 4 [1d6=4]

edited May 2013
    Tiris goes full Gangplank, drawing his pistol and aiming it point blank at the wounded creature, but his weapon never fires! He decides to pistol whip the creature instead.
    Geth roll 1d6 Gangplank Style!

Gangplank Style!:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

am0n on
    edited May 2013
    The creature is badly beaten and bloodied. Crying out in pain it tries to shuffle back to the tunnel it came in through.

It sounds like the third creature, lurking in the dark tunnel, has other ideas. You hear gnashing and grunting as the injured beast is quickly killed by its kin. Its limp corpse is now blocking the tunnel you entered from.

SUPERSUGA on
    Taking the opportunity while the beast limps back, Hansel picks up and readies his musket for another round.
    If there's time, I mean.

You can fire away as you like. The injured creature slinking away was slightly out of turn order, so if you haven't acted yet then go ahead.

"Die, beasteh!"

Hansel fires at the creature attacking Kairon.
    Geth roll 1d6+1

1d6+1 4 [1d6=3]

Kairon hacks desperately at the beat attacking him, shouting with both pain and alarm.
    geth roll 1d6

1d6 2 [1d6=2]