As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pronunciation and Linguistic Relativity] White People: You Can Stop Saying "Pock-istan"

HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do04ZsC-cdw

So I understand that this isn't a Pressing Urgent Matter of Enormous Gravity... but this's been at the back of my mind for some time now. The specific incidence of it, for me, is when Obama pronounces "Pakistan." He seems to over-enunciate, and winds up saying "Pock-istan." As someone who's from Pakistan, I can assure you that this is not how we say it, and I would wager that no Pakistani says it this way regardless of dialect (though of course I could be wrong); the "P" is much softer, like the P in "stop" as opposed to the hard P in "park."

This is very much just a pet peeve of mine, and is not per se worthy of its own thread. However, the larger issue that it (imho) speaks to about cultural accuracy and linguistic sensitivity is pretty interesting. Obama is clearly going out of his way to say it this way because he thinks it's more accurate. He seems to have a desire to be faithful to the Urdu/Hindi language, for which I commend him. But there are, imho, limits to the desire to be PC/multicultural. The obvious counterargument is that it's a small gesture of goodwill. I can't really argue against gestures of goodwill, but I will say that it seems kinda trivial. I've expressed this view to friends, and they're sometimes surprised; as someone who speaks 3.5 languages, they say they'd expect me to be more anal about pronunciation instead of less. Thing is, language competency is hard. If Arabic classes have taught me anything, it's that Arabic phonemes and White People vocal chords are not a marriage made in heaven. It's okay if you can't pronounce "Pakistan" like a Pakistani -- you're not Pakistani. Just do what feels natural.

The other half of what I'd like to discuss is names. So I met someone last summer who insisted that it was "stupid" that in English we call it "Egypt," even though its original Arabic name is "Masr" (MUSS-URR). When I pressed him on it, he insisted that we should call things by their "real" names. When pressed for his definition of "real," he insisted that it was whatever its original inhabitants called it. When I asked him how far back in history was sufficient to determine the "original" inhabitants, he kinda demurred.

The point being: we may as well call things by the name that's most useful. Saying "Masr" in the U.S. would just get me puzzled looks; saying "Egypt" is obviously much more useful. I also think there's some element of "cultural sovereignty" involved in naming conventions specifically. For instance, as you may or may not be aware, it's Istanbul -- not Constantinople. The old Bombay is now also Mumbai. imho, Turkey and India basically have "the right" to determine what they (and by association the rest of the world) call those cities.

(I see how that could be viewed as a contradiction to what I said about Egypt/Masr, but I think the language equivalency thing makes it a fundamentally different matter.)

So, D&D: should we bother to try and be multicultural in our pronunciation of names for people, places, and things? And who gets to decide what name we use for things anyway?

What's NOT up for discussion: "Eye-ran" and "Eye-rack". Those are punishable by death.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    God, I remember trying to get both Iraq and Kirkuk right back in the day. Then it becomes a matter of just not getting them so wrong it looks like you don't care.

And it did amaze me when I realized how many cities and countries (everywhere...Europe, Asia, etc) had totally different names in their native tongue. But when talking to native English speakers, I just use the "normal" English names...because they're understood.

And that's not even talking about Angliciaztion, where obviously the pronunciation and spelling will vary. I'm talking totally different names (like Egypt/Masr).

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I just want people to stop putting random consonants in my last name.

Just read it like any other word people, ain't gotta be all fancy.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Also, I always hear it as Pocky-stan when he says it, and it sounds like a delicious place.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Let's start with this proposition: The authority of a word's meaning is also the authority of the word's pronunciation.

It is not the case that one person, group, or book gets to act as a source of authority for the correct meaning of a particular term, and another person, group, or book gets to act as the source of authority for the correct pronunciation of the term. This way we simplify our quest and bind linguistic issues of meaning with issues of pronunciation; the two are bundled together.

If we go with Wittgenstein, and maintain that the meaning of a word is related to the use of the word, then we can also maintain that the "correctness" of pronunciation is related to use, to the practical consequences of a particular pronunciation in a particular linguistic exchange.

If we do this, then we can avoid the issue of your interlocutor who could not give a satisfactory account of his conservative notion of authority through originality. We do not need to muck about in issues of authority, but rather can focus upon the question of what works.

When Obama says "Pock-istan", some persons can guess his intended meaning of "that country". If another person says "PAH-ki-STAHN", it seems that persons would be able to discern that the term also referred to "that country". "Pock-istan" and "PAH-ki-STAHN" do not have two different referents, and persons seem to not think they do.

It's the issue you noted with the Egypt / Masr issue. If you started using "Masr" most of your interlocutors would not be able to guess your intended meaning. Since your primary concern is communication, rather than being a pedantic dick, you use the term that functions for your intended use.

Why can't we apply that realization to the issue of pronunciation? If we abandon a Platonic notion of "true meaning", then it seems we can also abandon a Platonic notion of "true pronunciation".

A "correct pronunciation" of a word is a pronunciation that works. This accounts for different dialects, and seems to mirror how language works in the world.

• Options
    Hell, given the wide variation between dialects of the same language in pronunciation, expecting any uniformity of pronunciation across languages is beyond ludicrous.

We have people adding "r" to "wash." We're going to properly pronounce "Pakistan?" Yeah, right.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Tell me the truth, Hamurabi. I've always counted on you to be a straight shooter:

If we're not white, but we hang out with a lot of white people, how should we pronounce it?

EDIT: I guess since we're here, though, there's no harm in saying this: I'm not really sure where "China" came from, but we call it "Zhong-Guo" (like a lot of people in my generation, I am torn halfway between Pinyin and Wades Gilford). Which is actually great, because it literally means "Land/Nation of the Middle", with Middle becoming the associated adjective for Chinese people. It's also how we refer to other countries ("Mei-Guo" means "Land of America"), But something like two dozen languages use some weird variation of China/Kina/Kino/Chino, so I guess there's no turning that around.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    This is best observed with local news reporting.

Everyone(reporters) puts on their best fake accent and rolls the shit out of their r's when the name of a spanish city or person comes up.

I've never seen anyone slap on a fake accent to say "Tokyo"

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Ya know, America's got a pretty shitty knowledge of geography as it is. It just gets harder when people insist on changing the names of their cities / towns all the time.

I'm half joking, but really...when it comes down to it, it's a different language. Does it really matter if English speakers call a city Bombay while people in India call it Mumbai? Peking vs. Beijing, etc? Hell, I still call Eastpointe 'East Detroit' - and I was ten when it changed names.

Some changes I sort of get - after the fall of the USSR, dropping the Lenin and Stalin...but I'm in agreement that if you aren't speaking in the native language or even know the native language, most of the time changes in pronunciation or spelling are more about sounding 'cultured' than actually communicating information better.

Take for example, Al Qaeda...back around 9/11, it was ALWAYS spelled Al Qaida - which is just fine, because there is no direct translation. But then people had to be different, and now it's always spelled Al Qaeda.

I dunno, just seems like in a lot of cases sprinkling in proper / native pronunciation unnecessarily is a lazy way people try to make themselves seem smarter than they really are.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Tell me the truth, Hamurabi. I've always counted on you to be a straight shooter:

If we're not white, but we hang out with a lot of white people, how should we pronounce it?

I say "Pack-istan."

yolo

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Did not know Egypt was Masr and I've actually been there, don't remember seeing it written as Masr in english anywhere - I'm sure it was always translated as Egypt.
    That said, we were mostly in the touristy bits around Hurghada rather than the 'every day' parts of Egypt. I'm really surprised no one ever mentioned it.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Some changes I sort of get - after the fall of the USSR, dropping the Lenin and Stalin...but I'm in agreement that if you aren't speaking in the native language or even know the native language, most of the time changes in pronunciation or spelling are more about sounding 'cultured' than actually communicating information better.

You know St. Petersburg (Sankt-Peterburg) is located in Leningrad Federal Oblast (Leningradskaya oblast)? It is. There's been some thought to change the name, but what would you change it too? The pre-Soviet geographic divisions are, for lack of a better term, woefully inaccurate or suck. You could change it to "St. Petersburg Federal Oblast", but apparently people don't really care for having the repeating name just for the sake of spiting the older generation, and it got voted down in referendum back in the 1990s,

I'm not a fan of "Taihoku", the old name for the Taipei City/District (though "New Taihoku" looks pretty cool), but the Japanese had the sensibility to call the island itself "Taiwan" when they were calling the shots. Formosa sounds weird, like it should be some pleasant, sunny tropical island in the Mediterranean, not the craggy mountain industrial center that it refers to.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I didn't know about Egypt/Masr either, neat.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    Wait, this is about the "p" sound? I thought it was going to be about the "k" bit. I worked with a girl from Pakistan and she was trying to show me how to pronounce it, but I just couldn't get it right.

Mind you, she couldn't pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
    No one can. Just string together strange noises in a Welsh accent until the other person looks convinced.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I largely agree with this point, and I would extend it past place names to loan words in general. As an English speaker, speaking English, I feel little obligation to pronounce croissant as if I were a Frenchman speaking French. After all, I don't pronounce our latinate or germanic words as if I were a 10th century european peasant.

MrMister on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Most people don't know China's name in Chinese is Zhongguo.

I had a language class with a guy who, every time an English word that had sinicized for Chinese, would immediately exclaim "It's pronunced America/Hamburger/Coca Cola."

Everyone wanted to beat that fucker upside the head after a few weeks.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The Japanese language is pretty fascinating, how they love adopting foreign words but often modify them to be pronounceable in Japanese.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The Japanese language is pretty fascinating, how they love adopting foreign words but often modify them to be pronounceable in Japanese.

I could be wrong, but I think this is pretty much how any language does it with loanwords. Russian has a lot of technical/scientific language that is copied as closely as possible from German, English and French. Weird, in Chinese we don't don't seem to do it as much with technical language (radio, computer) as much as food. And, of course, names.

Of course, it's different because of Japanese phonemes (?) I imagine.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sounds like your issue might be with vowel shifts.

For instance there's a move of the vowels around near where I live where Milk is pronounced Melk. It apparently angers people.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    What some Scandinavian places are actually named:

Sweden: Sverige
    Gothenburg: Göteborg
    Norway: Norge
    Denmark: Danmark
    Finland: Suomi
    Copenhagen: København

'course, in Sweden we say Finland, and call the capital Helsingfors instead of Helsinki. Finland was conquered by Sweden once.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    The point being: we may as well call things by the name that's most useful. Saying "Masr" in the U.S. would just get me puzzled looks; saying "Egypt" is obviously much more useful. I also think there's some element of "cultural sovereignty" involved in naming conventions specifically. For instance, as you may or may not be aware, it's Istanbul -- not Constantinople. The old Bombay is now also Mumbai. imho, Turkey and India basically have "the right" to determine what they (and by association the rest of the world) call those cities.

(I see how that could be viewed as a contradiction to what I said about Egypt/Masr, but I think the language equivalency thing makes it a fundamentally different matter.)

So, D&D: should we bother to try and be multicultural in our pronunciation of names for people, places, and things? And who gets to decide what name we use for things anyway?

What's NOT up for discussion: "Eye-ran" and "Eye-rack". Those are punishable by death.

My linguistic experience is pretty much limited to a couple years of HS German, but the bold seems like a really weird thing, and if anything seems kind of stupidly superficial 'Anti-colonialism' specifically anti-English speaker. I don't think the Germans mind English speakers calling it Germany instead of DeutchLand, or the French France instead of République Française. Same with the Dutch/Netherlanders.

India is a bit different maybebecause English is one of the official languages, but once you are translating out of the mother tongue of the place does it really matter what you call it?

I mean I have no idea what Wisconsin is called in any other language. This is doubly true because Wisconsin isn't an English words to begin with. Would it be incorrect for the French who were the first non natives here to refer to Wisconsin as Meskonsing, the Miami word it was probably derived from? Or one of the intermediary pronunciations it had between the two?

What about names with literal meanings. South Africa, Suda-Afrika(Afrikanns) Afrika Kusini(Swahili-not actually one of the 10 official languages, but the only African one Google Translate has), I have no Idea what the word for South or Africa are in Hindi. But is it more correct to call it "Suda-Afrika/Afrika Kusini" as phonetically as they can manage, or whatever the literal translation for "South" and "Africa" is in Hindi?

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

And then cut them down because they're too long. Good luck figuring out sekuhara.

• Options
    Well, I don't think anyone's going to call Bangladesh Bengal. Or East Pocky-stan, much less.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I could be wrong, but I think this is pretty much how any language does it with loanwords. Russian has a lot of technical/scientific language that is copied as closely as possible from German, English and French. Weird, in Chinese we don't don't seem to do it as much with technical language (radio, computer) as much as food. And, of course, names.

Of course, it's different because of Japanese phonemes (?) I imagine.

They have a whole separate alphabet for rendering foreign words, although they are limited the same character/syllables as they use in their alphabet for native Japanese words.

And as Tenek said, they also like abbreviating things. So, for example, their term for "digital camera" is dijikamu.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

For instance there's a move of the vowels around near where I live where Milk is pronounced Melk. It apparently angers people.

I have a friend that has "melk" with his "breffis." I can't explain to you why it makes my skin crawl, but it truly does.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Also, I always hear it as Pocky-stan when he says it, and it sounds like a delicious place.

I figured he was pronouncing it in a badly inflected British accent, because that's the accent most Pakistanis learn when they're taught English so that's how it sounds when they say it while speaking English.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'd like some uniformity to it from English speakers, but I don't think the name of a foreign country needs to be 1:1 with it's name to the locals. Like France is just France, not Frawnce. Also Packisstan fo life

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I have a friend that has "melk" with his "breffis." I can't explain to you why it makes my skin crawl, but it truly does.

Breffis, eh? Nah I still say breakfast but apparently my friends and family hate it when I drop some melk trufs on them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    My linguistic experience is pretty much limited to a couple years of HS German, but the bold seems like a really weird thing, and if anything seems kind of stupidly superficial 'Anti-colonialism' specifically anti-English speaker.

It's more "anti other speaker".

English speakers are every bit as guilty of doing it.

Because like every other language group of the world English speakers also have assholes.

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    My linguistic experience is pretty much limited to a couple years of HS German, but the bold seems like a really weird thing, and if anything seems kind of stupidly superficial 'Anti-colonialism' specifically anti-English speaker.

It's more "anti other speaker".

English speakers are every bit as guilty of doing it.

Because like every other language group of the world English speakers also have assholes.

I meant more along the lines of Mumbai vs Bombay; in that it's not correcting whatever the hell the city is called in Chinese or Korean or Arabic.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    People who feel that way feel the same about the way their favorite city is pronounced in other languages too. I assure you it's not just against English speakers.

• Options
    People who feel that way feel the same about the way their favorite city is pronounced in other languages too. I assure you it's not just against English speakers.

Maybe it's because English is the language most likely to be heard worldwide?

• Options
    (Other than the local language, that is)

• Options
    And, you know, you're probably going to hear about, and more importantly understand, someone complaining about an English word.

You're kind of out of the loop for the French bitching about the Quebecois or Mexicans bitching about El Salvadorians.

• Options
    Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular

About a decade ago the South Korea government demanded that Chinese-speaking outlets stop using the Sinicized translation of Seoul, 漢城, and start using the sound approximation 首爾 (shou-er). That's pretty similar to the Bombay/Mumbai thing.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The other half of what I'd like to discuss is names. So I met someone last summer who insisted that it was "stupid" that in English we call it "Egypt," even though its original Arabic name is "Masr" (MUSS-URR). When I pressed him on it, he insisted that we should call things by their "real" names. When pressed for his definition of "real," he insisted that it was whatever its original inhabitants called it. When I asked him how far back in history was sufficient to determine the "original" inhabitants, he kinda demurred.

Yeah, its been called Egypt a lot longer than Masr. If you want to drag it way back, Kemet would be one of the older names.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options

About a decade ago the South Korea government demanded that Chinese-speaking outlets stop using the Sinicized translation of Seoul, 漢城, and start using the sound approximation 首爾 (shou-er). That's pretty similar to the Bombay/Mumbai thing.

That is just adorable.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

I say "Pack-istan."

yolo

I have literally never heard anyone, white or otherwise, call it anything other than this.

Where are these people saying "pock"?

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

I say "Pack-istan."

yolo

I have literally never heard anyone, white or otherwise, call it anything other than this.

Where are these people saying "pock"?

As mentioned in the OP, Barack Obama does this.

I've heard a lot of news anchors do it lately too.

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    When I was in Denmark and I spoke Danish, I would say commonly used words like "weekend" or "computer" completely differently than how I would say them in English, even though they were 100% borrowed words from English, because I was simply trying to match my speech to the dialect of the locals. It always seemed like it would be pretty obnoxious to just completely switch my dialect when pronouncing words native to my language simply because I wanted to demonstrate some kind of cultural ownership over them. I'm fine making efforts to fit in, even if it means bending to a common mispronunciation of a word in a given dialect.

I always think it's a pretty pointless exercise trying to police pronunciation, when (as others have pointed out) pronunciation can vary even within native speakers of a given language. Also, anyone who gets offended because I say "burrito" without rolling the "r"s or whatever else just needs to loosen up. Bigotry and discrimination operate wholly independently of how a person says a given word. Yes, sometimes an egregious mispronunciation can be an indicator of a broader ignorance surrounding a given culture, but it can just as well be someone with a dialect. Much better to judge individuals as individuals and not based on how they pronounce things (which applies just as much within a given language as it does when moving between languages).

• Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/us/politics/missouree-missouruh-to-be-politic-in-missouri-say-both.html?_r=0

I've always been able to imagine the chew drool dripping out of the 5 toothed mouth of a guy wearing overalls with no shirt, whenever I hear "Missouruh".

6ylyzxlir2dz.png