Options

Things and Stuffs [Semi-NSFW]

nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Artist's Corner
It's been awhile since I had a thread here. Time to go at it again.

I am returning to school this week and this will serve as a general dump of the things I'm working on. To warm up for school I've been trying to do something every day. I would like any feedback you can give. I'm always up to accept whatever challenges and critiques you throw my way. The dream is to do something creative professionally. I'll be going back to school to study character animation, but I am still very passionate about drawing.

Three pieces from this past week:

itwasalongday.jpg

malestudy2.jpg

robinsketch.jpg

Some slightly older pieces (I don't think I've really showed these here):

process3.jpg

thechained.jpg

nakirush on

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I'm no expert, but to me the treatment of light on the first figure is leaps and bounds above any of the others you posted

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    I'm guessing first and second images had a reference for them, and the last one didn't? It's a pretty big gap. You handled volume and lighting well in the first two, I dig it a lot.

Do you have any analogue work? I'd love to see some pencil figure studies or just sketches, and see how those turned out. You're doing good though.

• Options
    Aye, the first three were done with reference. The third is much worse in part because I have barely worked with reference and also because I was about 3 weeks into the switch from a Cintiq to an Intuos. I am trying to work with references more and more.

I don't have any analogue scans at the moment. I will try to get some this weekend. Zoological drawing class tomorrow, followed by character design. I should have plenty of stuffs to show off soon.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Some sketches from class. 1-3 minutes each.

sketch1xa.jpg

sketch2y.jpg

sketch3w.jpg

Some of my homework is to do 20 hand sketches. Here are my first five. Roughly 10 minutes a piece.

sketch4.jpg

sketch5.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    nakirush wrote: »
    Some sketches from class. 1-3 minutes each.

sketch1xa.jpg

Is there a Daria Morgendorffer in your class, by any chance?

• Options
    Moar! Sorry about the crappy pictures. My scanner is broken at the moment. :(

Some characters (first time using India ink and micron pens) -
    character1.jpg
    character2.jpg

Some more hands -
    img20130421221631.jpg
    img20130421221645.jpg
    img20130421221637.jpg

Studies at the museum -
    zoological1.jpg
    zoological2.jpg
    zoological3.jpg

• Options
    Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    I have nothing of interest to add other than I REALLY like your drawing of the saber-tooth tiger, and that I am out of my mind jealous that you had a chance to draw it, and jealous that the museum would let you sit around and draw off their stuff, AND that it inspires me to go to my museum and try to draw some stuff of theirs (until they throw me out).

Keep up the good work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    Halen wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but to me the treatment of light on the first figure is leaps and bounds above any of the others you posted

I agree. That harsh lighting does a lot of favors for the comic style especially. If you took the last drawing there and made the highlights a little brighter and the shadows a lot darker it would have a lot more depth. The skull sketches are really cool!

• Options
    Some more museum stuffs -

24018084.jpg

90006876.jpg

53690209.jpg

93301851.jpg

57026446.jpg

And some character stuffs -

character6.jpg

character5.jpg

character4a.jpg

• Options
    oroborosoroboros Registered User regular
    Awesome studies man..The book that really helped me out was Bridgeman's Life Drawing, check it out if you get a chance, did wonders for my anatomical knowledge. You're on the right track! Keep it up man.

• Options
    We drew horses -

001bsk.jpg
    002sgj.jpg
    003yfu.jpg
    004ftl.jpg
    005rmx.jpg
    006md.jpg
    007ujx.jpg

• Options
    About an hour and a half into this piece. This is my zoological design mid-term. We have to design our own creature.

zoologicalmidterm.jpg

• Options
    I've decided to go back to school to study character/creature animation. As part of the admissions process, I have to show an "interest in 3D work" in my portfolio. I've been teaching myself SketchUp over the past few weeks. Here is my journey thus far. As always, feedback is welcome.

A drawer (my first 3D model EVAR!) -
    drawer.png

A scythe -
    scythe.png

A LEGO person -
    LEGO-Man-Front.png
    LEGO-Man2.png

A handgun -
    Handgun1.png
    Handgun2.png

A cart -
    Cart-1.png