As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4e] WLD, Region A. Kobold ambush!

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Hey, isn't there a dagger, feat, or something that lets me use a dagger as an implement for a sorcerer and get some sort of proficiency bonus? Or am I just thinking of the Warlock's Pact Blade?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    I chose to just link to each person's post in the event they update/add content. There are a few who don't have a background or plan to update it, so instead of me copying everything they had and then having to go back and update that post as they change theirs, it just made sense to link to their post.

For what it's worth, I am unlikely to be doing the kind of writeups that OL and others have provided; I tend to prefer to build a skeleton and hang narrative on it as play progresses.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I chose to just link to each person's post in the event they update/add content. There are a few who don't have a background or plan to update it, so instead of me copying everything they had and then having to go back and update that post as they change theirs, it just made sense to link to their post.

For what it's worth, I am unlikely to be doing the kind of writeups that OL and others have provided; I tend to prefer to build a skeleton and hang narrative on it as play progresses.

That's between you and the DM. ;)

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Hey, isn't there a dagger, feat, or something that lets me use a dagger as an implement for a sorcerer and get some sort of proficiency bonus? Or am I just thinking of the Warlock's Pact Blade?

Dagger is always an implement for Sorceror. There are some feats that support using one for more than just a regular implement, too.

• Options
    Yeah, but you don't get a proficiency bonus for using a dagger as a sorcerer and I thought there was a way back when I first looked at the sorcerer.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    No, I'd be surprised if there's any way to do that actually, without causing you to target AC

• Options
    There's an at-will in Dragon 390 that is a dagger-only Weapon power usable as a Melee Basic. Possibly you spotted that somewhere?

• Options
    Pact Blade lets you use Warlock spells as a Melee Attack without changing what it targets.

• Options
    Oh, also, there is apparently something in another Dragon that is near-mandatory for Swordmage and GG should be taking if he sticks with daggers.

• Options
    I'm a Sorcerer, not a Swordmage.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    What I did just notice after playing around is that a feat that gives weapon attack bonus for daggers won't benefit implement attacks (I am new to this, so shush!), so it might be that you are looking at +bonuses to weapon attacks and wondering why it doesn't work with your implement powers. A bonus on the implement, though (i.e. Magic Dagger +1) does properly stack. It seems like Staff gives more benefits for Sorcerer, though (Implement Focus feat and a Expertise feat to eliminate OAs on attacks with it).

am0n on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I know. It applies to arcane powers and basic attacks with Light Blades (daggers) and Heavy Blades (swords). Looks to be someone's patch for forcing all the Arcane guys using edged stuff to take Versatile expertise that made it to a published article.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    I don't have dragon so... Copy/Paste?

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Sorcerous Blade Channeling allows you to use any Sorcerer power as a melee attack.

Versatile Expertise gives you the Expertise bonus to both weapon and implement powers.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    @Jdarksun I like the redesign. Looks cleaner. What do I have to do to be added as a player on your obsidian portal?

• Options
    Sorcerous Blade Channeling

When you use any ranged sorcerer attack power through a dagger, you can use the power as a melee attack. If you do so, the power's range equals your melee reach.

• Options
    Nah, the one I dug up is War Wizard's Expertise. +1 feat to hit/tier to Arcane powers using either size blade, and attack rolls vs allies are at -5 for the friendly fire-happy.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    @jdarksun

Question: Yesterday you mentioned Rations were equivalent to a Survival Day. I just noticed there actually is an item you can buy called "Survival Day" in the CB. The difference is that 10 Trail Rations cost as much as 1 Survival Day (and 1 Survival Day weighs 8x as much as 1 Trail Ration). Should we just ignore their variant of Survival Day and assume that Trails Ratios work out to a 1:1 ratio?

am0n on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Updated Mors' background.

I swear I didn't set out to make him Samwell Tarly.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options

Looks like both Leaders are going to be on the same boat. =P

• Options
    Wasn't war wizard one of the builds for wizards in the arcane expansion book?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Updated the Submission Post to reflect where each tribute is from. So far we have:

Keeper's Hold: Auralynx, OminousLozenge
    Bonamia: Sir Fabulous, am0n
    Brightflame: TheRoadVirus
    Mithralfast: Nealneal

???: Slayer of Dreams, Grunt's Ghost

am0n on
  • Options

Looks like both Leaders are going to be on the same boat. =P

Ugh, I have to work with a slave?

This is going to be the worst deadly dungeon adventure of no return ever!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    My char is going to be Tribute for the Iron Circle since he is a student of the Red Mages of the Dragon.

I can rewrite it for Brightflame since that is his hometown.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Dragonborn Slave. That can punch you with their mind. Remember that.

But I won't. Don't worry.

Your lute strings though? One more time... just one... more... time...

am0n on
  • Options
    My char is going to be Tribute for the Iron Circle since he is a student of the Red Mages of the Dragon.

I can rewrite it for Brightflame since that is his hometown.

jdark said this year might be different, so I don't know if it matters too much. Ultimately, it's up to him. He did add this on the Portal:
    What will be the case is that your character will be interacting with someone else from his region on their way to the Dungeon. A shared scene that establishes a relationship (or lack thereof) with the closest thing your character has to a friend on their journey to the Dungeon.

So, for the person who is solo, they might have to write in details about someone they were with on the boat.

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Leiliana can come from either of the Drow-infested regions. Her background is general enough that it will slot in well with whichever.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    @jdarksun

Question: Yesterday you mentioned Rations were equivalent to a Survival Day. I just noticed there actually is an item you can buy called "Survival Day" in the CB. The difference is that 10 Trail Rations cost as much as 1 Survival Day (and 1 Survival Day weighs 8x as much as 1 Trail Ration). Should we just ignore their variant of Survival Day and assume that Trails Ratios work out to a 1:1 ratio?
    The Survival Day as detailed in the DSCS includes all the supplies needed to survive on Athas for one day. There's a heck of a lot more in there than just food and water. Most of Nerath is temperate enough not to warrant special equipment that would be consumed on a daily basis.

If or when you find yourselves in an environment as hostile as Athas' in the Dungeon, temporary exposure would be handled via skill checks or challenges. Extended stay would mean tweaking the challenge to make Survival Days to include acquiring the supplies needed to survive (or otherwise mitigating the hazardous situation).

But for our purposes, right now and for the foreseeable future, 10 Trail Rations can be converted directly into 10 Survival Days.

• Options
    How long is character submission going to remain open?

In case I want to tweak backstory or something.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    How long is character submission going to remain open?

In case I want to tweak backstory or something.
    UNTIL I AM SATISFIED

Er.

17 people answered the initial questionnaire. 16 indicated they'd be willing to play 4e.
    13 people voted for their favorite History, one of which was a late minute entry that voted for Auralynx's NARRATIVE VOLTRON / smash 'em up three times (I know who you are).
    8 characters have been submitted so far.

I'm also wrestling with how to handle the 4E MATH LOL issue.
    And I need to finish proofing edits to the first map.

You'll be given at least 24 hours notice. Maybe Friday night? That jives with when I have the most free time.

• Options
    That was because I loved it three times.

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    For the MATHLOL issue, it really isn't at a low level. So you can probably hold off on having to deal with it for awhile if you want to move on to something else.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yeah, everything's basically fine through heroic at least

• Options
    Leiliana can come from either of the Drow-infested regions. Her background is general enough that it will slot in well with whichever.

@Slayer of Dreams the other Drow local is Nentir Vale in Nerath (Capital City: Mithralfast).

Then if @Grunt's Ghost modified his to be Brightflame, we'd have exactly 2 per Capital, pending any further submissions.

• Options
    I'm out atm, but throw me down for brightflame.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I'm out atm, but throw me down for brightflame.

I've gotta ride a cart with him

• Options
    You'll love the long nights.

• Options
    Okay, updated the submission post to reflect GG in Brightflame and Slayer in Mithralfast.

• Options
    ButtonsButtons Dolt SweedeelandRegistered User regular
    Wow this thread moved fast over the last couple of days, I'm still hoping to get a sub in before Friday!

• Options
    Updated the Submission Post to reflect where each tribute is from. So far we have:

Keeper's Hold: Auralynx, OminousLozenge
    Bonamia: Sir Fabulous, am0n
    Brightflame: TheRoadVirus
    Mithralfast: Nealneal

???: Slayer of Dreams, Grunt's Ghost

Heck, they can pick Darrak up on the virtual doorstep of the Dungeon, unless it moved.

I too would suggest not sweating the 4E Math as yet. It kicks in around Paragon.