As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, Dwarf dice are back in stock, along with four other themed sets and the Dwarf/Skaven pitch.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I managed to grab Dwarf dice and a pitch the first time around. I'm super happy they are available again. It's silly how fast they sold out.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Tomorrow game against underworld denizens. I've never payed against that. I guess the objective is to take the Skaven blitzers out of the game and stay away from the Troll?

Edit:
    2:1 for the elves.
    I need some players with tackle I think. Stunty dodgers are really annoying.
    The two strength 4 blitzers continue to be the most valuable players just for the fact of how much attention they get. The two of them can bind half the enemy team which is really helpful when you're constantly outnumbered.

honovere on
    Preview of new stuff is up on WC

https://warhammer-community.com/2017/08/07/minotaurs-renegades-and-fantasy-football-your-forge-world-preview/

The Minotaur looks really good and I'm looking forward to replacing my old metal elves. The render looks quite nice and according to reports from the latates BB event their models are supposed to be more modular than the sets we got so far.

New stuff from the open day:
    FW-OpenDay-BBElf1nca.jpg
    FW-OpenDay-BBElf2let.jpg
    FW-OpenDay-BBTroll1kvs.jpg

The elves look great. No desire to grab them myself, but I love seeing them.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    those guys look like they would be awesome in a harlequin
    styled color scheme.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

With the dynamic poses, masks, and faces on the knee pads there are already similar to Harlequins. I've also seen some Elf teams converted from the plastic Harlequins. There's some crossover potential.

Mix them with Harlequin parts to make Wood Elves (especially Wardancers).

Second loss in a row in the league. This time a 2:3 against a Skaven team that already had a done another season.

He had taken a few casualties in the game before, but still had four gutter runners with block and some side step and one with leap and other skills. I couldn't really touch those without having tackle on anyone.

Could've turned out better if I had been able to break armour and hadn't failed two catches in a row with re-rolls (double snake eyes).

Only one new skill (mighty blow on a strength 4 blitzer), so still no tackle against the next match against humans.

A really fun match. Much more interesting than playing against bash teams.

edited October 2017
    So my best friend is getting married and wants to have a nerd weekend bachelor party. He said he'd like to do a Blood Bowl tournament at the bar (my local bar has no issues with us playing Blood Bowl there). So I ran with the idea.

He isn't normally on this board but if you are Brandon, don't you dare click on the spoilers.
    I'm having two custom pitches made from DeepCut studios. It's a snowy pitch with Meat Box Invitational in the center. Meat Box is a dumb nickname he got labeled with years ago. I'm so excited about the surprise that I had to tell someone so I'm doing it here.

[/spolier]

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
    That is a cool thing.

Next league game is against the human team again that I lost 0-2 against last time. If I want to keep a tiny chance to get back into the top ranks I'll have to win this time.

He got a little bit of a beating in his last game against the Undead so he’ll get 200k of inducements while still having more players than me. He already threatened to take a wizard…

Hilariously my elves have a better chance of winning the crowd award than the league at the moment. The crowd award counts all the inflicted casualties and otherwise injured opposing players of the games. I’m currently in second place with 14 points after 5 games.

So that game's result was a bit meh. 1:1 and I only managed a single completion. No casulties either, so the crowd award is getting pretty difficult, too.

Defense worked pretty well for most of the match.

My bad luck was pretty laserfocused on a few critical moves during offense. I made every dodge except the two times the ball carriers had to make a 2+ dodge and rolled snake eyes. In addition to that when I was on offense in the second half we rolled a riot and 8 out of the 10 players I had on the pitch went down, while only 1 of the humans was knocked over.

We also played with special play cards. As a result my guard lineman was pretty useless as he couldn't assist with blocks and fouls. On the other hand I usde a rune to throw the human ball carrier into the tackle zone of my blitzer, which was fun.

The fisticuff award goes to my thrower. While he wasn't able to catch a ball that bounced into him three times in a row in one turn, he pow'ed on every block he made and broke armour three out of four times. If only the wound rolls turned out better..

Weekend has Elven Union team, dice, pitch, Blood Bowl Almanach and some other stuff going up for preorders.

According to the local shop, Goblin pitch and winter pitch will also be available.

Tomorrow's my last league game of the season. 1st and 2nd place are out of reach so no chance to pla for 1st place in the play off game in January. With a win and some luck i can make it into the playoffs for 3rd place. To bad the game is against the currently second place holder, an Undead team.

I'm going to end up picking up the almanac even if I say I don't want to pick up books I've already purchased. Everything in one hardcover book is pretty nice though.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Ken O wrote: »
    I'm going to end up picking up the almanac even if I say I don't want to pick up books I've already purchased. Everything in one hardcover book is pretty nice though.

I don't think the core rules are in the almanac, so still two books. It might have some stuff that was only in WD on the other hand, like the special balls.

I believe all the alternate rules from WD will be in there. So all the balls and stuff like the special refs should be there.

Comics, Games, Booze
    edited November 2017
    Game against the undead turned into a bit of a desaster at the end of the first half when I fumbled two passes in a row in scoring distance and didn't get better when at the start of the second half 4 elves got k.o.-ed by a fire ball.

0:3. One lineman ag-1.

honovere on
    honovere wrote: »
    Game against the undead turned into a bit of a desaster at the end of the first half when I fumbled two passes in a row in scoring distance and didn't get better when at the start of the second half 4 elves got k.o.-ed by a fire ball.

Playoff game finished. That was too exhausting. I made a big mistake and scored to fast in the second half against the Orcs. That gave him enough time to score the 1:1 in turn 16. Which meant we were playing overtime with him recieving. Not that much fun with Elves against Orcs. Lost 1:2 in turn 22.

Also I'm not the fastet but he was sooo slow. The game took over 4 1/2 hours. Concentration was really gone in the middle of the second half. I think we should start playing with a timer.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Playoff game finished. That was too exhausting. I made a big mistake and scored to fast in the second half against the Orcs. That gave him enough time to score the 1:1 in turn 16. Which meant we were playing overtime with him recieving. Not that much fun with Elves against Orcs. Lost 1:2 in turn 22.

Also I'm not the fastet but he was sooo slow. The game took over 4 1/2 hours. Concentration was really gone in the middle of the second half. I think we should start playing with a timer.

I think once people have gotten the hang of the rules, then yeah, you should be playing with a timer 2-3 mins per turn (pausing if your opponent has a query, or bathroom breaks, etc..), because 4.5 hours is daft.

It used to be a rule, but before you start a turn, the first thing you should do, is move your turn counter along; do anything else, and it's a turnover (which you can avoid by using a re-roll). I know this one sounds a bit unfriendly, but I played it with my 3 best friends, and we had no issue calling each other on this. It just gets you into good habits.

PSN Fleety2009
    The turn marker thing would've made the game much shorter :)

Are there any places on the interwebs that has good section for painting and modelling Blood Bowl?
    I'd like to look at some pretty teams but I can't actually find much. I have found like 2 or 3 pictures of painted Elven Union players so far for example.

Next season is starting. I had a bunch of coins stored away which means that due to the rules for buying back your players and a few guys changing to new teams means I'm tied with the winner of last season for highest valued team of the league despite finishing right in the middle of the rankings myself. The two strength 4 blitzers are as much a curse as they are a blessing.

First game of the new seasons is against Lizardmen that are valued about 100k lower but have a Krox, block on almost all the Saurus and one of them is even Strength 5. Two of the Skinks also have block and sidestep. I wish I had some tackle. I might have to sacrifice some lineelfs on the altar of Nuffle.

Other teams in my group are surprisingly well doing Goblins and Humans.

I'm surprised to hear there is such a difference between your 2 teams, although I obviously don't know what the rest of your team is made up of.

Is Wrestle still a skill? I'd look into getting that on some, as it helps makes gaps against teams with a lot of block (useful if you are a more agile team), as well as blodge ball carriers.

PSN Fleety2009
    I have two blodge catchers, a blodge st4 blitzer, a MB st4 blitzer, kick lineelf, guard lineelf, block thrower. My wrestle catcher got -AG in the playoffs, so he got replaced with a rookie catcher for the new season together with the two injured lineelfs.

Taking MB on the one Blitzer was probably not the most efficient choice back when I rolled a double for second skill. Guard might've been the wiser choice. Maybe he can take out a few Skinks this way though.

The Lizard team is actually a season older than my team, but currently at 1,300 while I'm at 1,420 with 3 less FF.

One of our league's Globlin teams managed to suffer 17 casualties in two games and he still continuing with the same team. Hats off

One of our league's Globlin teams managed to suffer 17 casualties in two games and he still continuing with the same team. Hats off

Wow. That's amazing.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    17 injuries+knockouts?

Please, it’s not a real goblin team until you manage to suffer seventeen casualties in one game…

The amazing thing about it is that judging by his team roster all of the casualties were badly hurt or at least he made enough money to replace any dead players.

League game against Goblins in their third season yesterday.

Goblins recieved, after a quicksnap and bunch of lucky blitzes a bunch of my positionals were k.o.ed and the Gobbos scored in round 8. Riot gave me a chance to reciprocate but of course the quick pass in the last round of the first half failed, so 0:1 into the second half.

I went into the lead with one td on offence and one on defence. Both our kick offs were quicksnaps again.

Then I made a mistake on positioning my defence on the last turn. Hadn't played against Goblins before so I misjudged how well doom divers work. That in combination with a bad scatter for the kick off and another! quicksnap gave my opponent the chance to score. Pick up success, gfi success, gfi success, hand off success, always hungry success, throw success, not landing in a tackle zone...success, landing success, td. Sigh.

Fun game though, even if I'd like people to make themselves familiar with the league rules that were actually voted on before the start of the season. But because "I've never seen these death zone 2 rules!" he refused to play with the stadium rules and at first didn't want to roll for a guy getting a mng because of the ongoing sponsorship he had. Bit of a cherry picker.

In addition two my two ST4 Blitzers (one with MB and one with dodge and tackle) my bodge catcher now has AG5. I expect the league commissioner to put out another bounty beer.

Second half of the season is starting. Groups are mixed up again according to standings.

Group is Chaos, Undead, Orks, Norse, Goblins and my elves. Ouch.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    At least you won't see a lot of skill choices targeted at you? Not that it'll save you from the punches

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    They won’t need to all those teams load up to their eyeballs in mighty blow , unless you make huge numbers of 2+ to unbase your players every turn attrition will probably be a big factor. I’m also sure their main killers have tackle so it’s standard elf sop , win game lose team.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, the Orc team is pretty new but already has 2 MB, 1 tackle, the Undead team has 3 MB, 2 tackle, Chaos has 5 MB, 1 tackle, Norse has 2 MB, no tackle but a ST5! Berserker.

And of course all have a heap of block.

Will make rebuying the team for next season easier though.

honovere on
    I’ve not played this edition, but does Wrestle still exist? It was always nice going after a blodge ball carrier and getting the ball back from what an opponent thought was a tricky target.

PSN Fleety2009
    edited May 2018
    Wrestle does exist and pretty much every team in our league has at least one wrestler exactly for that because it also works against sure hands while strip ball does not.

I might try to get some more wrestle and fend on my lineelfs, so that either both go down or I get less blocks against me in the next round.

honovere on
    I’ve always found Wrestle really good on my Skaven at least; helps create gaps with people being down plus they can’t throw as many blocks because getting up to throw one is a blitz.

Not so worried about fouls; Skaven (linerats) know life can be short.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I’ve always found Wrestle really good on my Skaven at least; helps create gaps with people being down plus they can’t throw as many blocks because getting up to throw one is a blitz.

Gutter Runner with Westle-Dauntless is a thing indeed. As long as you have a second gutter Runner to swoop in to scoop up the ball and score with that turn otherwise Wrestle Dauntless Gutter Runner gets stomped into a fine goo.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Gutter Runner with Westle-Dauntless is a thing indeed. As long as you have a second gutter Runner to swoop in to scoop up the ball and score with that turn otherwise Wrestle Dauntless Gutter Runner gets stomped into a fine goo.

I think one of those might be tied for shortest lifespan with the horns/+STR/block monstrosity I built in the PC league o.O