As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Amazon and Khemri teams are going to be available made-to-order from Oct 9-17.

(In metal too. Have past made-to-order classics also not been finecast?)

The Vampire team at least was in metal.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I ordered the old world forest dragon (twilight sisters?) and parts of it were in metal.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Honestly wasn't expecting to see him again in this edition, let alone see him getting an official model. He's basically a rat ogre fanatic, if memory serves.

Edit: that new special ability is dope.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    And could also serve as a regular rat ogre model. (God knows those currently for sale from GW are shit.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Amazon and Khemri teams are going to be available made-to-order from Oct 9-17.

(In metal too. Have past made-to-order classics also not been finecast?)

I just know the craftworld one from a few years ago was all metal but again it is eldar

• Options
    And could also serve as a regular rat ogre model. (God knows those currently for sale from GW are shit.)

There were a couple of great plastic rogres in one of the sigmar box sets... I think it was Isle of Blood? Something like that? Anyway they were never sold separately and are hot ticket items for Blood Bowl folks on ebay. The forge world rat ogre is awful. I think GW was not prepared for BB2016 to sell as well as it did, and they rushed a bunch of forge world models out the door to have stuff for people to buy, because a lot of the resin kits from that era are pretty clumsy looking.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Isle of blood was an amazing set. Great Skaven and in my opinion some of the best plastic high elves GW ever made.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I wish tomb kings were part of the bb 3 launch . I want to start playing bb again but I play the video game version so I always have to wait forever for the team I want to learn.

Also want to play the orcs under the new rules . So sad the thrower is even worse now.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I would expect all of the current Teams of Legend to be absent from BB3. Although I suppose I wouldn't put it past Cyanide to release the game with a Legend roster available, and then sell the updated team as DLC when/if it gets a Spike release for tabletop.

As it happens Tomb Kings are one of my absolute favorites, and I've been eager to try them in league since their roster has seen a couple welcome buffs, even if they haven't gotten a major update.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    So I was curious and googled the win rates for teams in bb2020 . It’s looking grim for black orcs who is the fourth lowest .( ahead of only halfling , goblins and ogres) in retrospect they should have probably given the mv5 upgrade to the black orcs not the big uns that replaced them.

• Options
    I'm not sure how representative that is at the moment. They come in the Starter set and the models are pretty dope so I think they might be overrepresented with newer players. Like humans and orcs before. Not saying they're a great team but I'm not sure they're that bad.

On the other hand from my first few games, yeah, they're fucking slow and coming with two skills on the Blorcs is kinda deceptive as both are very, very situational.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    My board game club (which nows meets physically again) decided to buy BloodBowl (2nd season) to add to its collection.

Any suggestions on how to make the two teams roughly equal?

• Options
    Well the team rosters are in the book and they have castings so… use those with the Exhibition Play (p.101) rules?
    But do you want to have enough coin to include the big guys and the star players?

• Options
    I'm not an expert with either team, but it's a fun and interesting match up. If it were up to me, even for casual play I'd just have players knock together a quick 1 milly TV roster, since exploring different builds is part of the strategy and fun of the game.

Otherwise, for Nobility, in a one-off game I'd probably just go full positionals with an ogre, just to give players the full flavor of the team. I don't have the roster handy but I believe this leaves you short one thrower and with only 1 reroll. The lack of rerolls sucks, and the lack of sure hands on your team means you can expect to use the reroll picking up the ball. Your positionals are all pretty great, though, and this build lets you set up a really strong split play on offense with your bodyguards on the wide zones, your ogre in the middle, either on the line or just behind, two blitzers on either side behind the line and your thrower deep to receive.

If I were starting a league season, I'd probably drop the ogre for a lineman, pick up an extra reroll and put the rest into dedicated fans. If you want any more rerolls, you're probably going to want to drop some bodyguards as well as the ogre. If it were another team, I'd say skip the thrower, but even if you're not passing, he's another armor 9 piece, so I'd probably keep them in lieu of more linemen, if you're going up against black orcs.

I've only played one game as black orcs, so I don't have much to say there, but it's worth noting you can put your full 6 orcs and your troll on the field with 2 rerolls for (I believe) an even 1,000,000. You might actually be better off swapping the troll for a goblin and a third reroll, but it's pretty tempting to just take the big guy for a one-off game.

• Options
    Genuinely surprised at no animal savagery, given the team. Putting claws and mighty blow on a guy is gonna get a lot of old diehards' hackles up, given they don't stack in this edition.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Well the team rosters are in the book and they have castings so… use those with the Exhibition Play (p.101) rules?
    But do you want to have enough coin to include the big guys and the star players?
    I'm not an expert with either team, but it's a fun and interesting match up. If it were up to me, even for casual play I'd just have players knock together a quick 1 milly TV roster, since exploring different builds is part of the strategy and fun of the game.

Otherwise, for Nobility, in a one-off game I'd probably just go full positionals with an ogre, just to give players the full flavor of the team. I don't have the roster handy but I believe this leaves you short one thrower and with only 1 reroll. The lack of rerolls sucks, and the lack of sure hands on your team means you can expect to use the reroll picking up the ball. Your positionals are all pretty great, though, and this build lets you set up a really strong split play on offense with your bodyguards on the wide zones, your ogre in the middle, either on the line or just behind, two blitzers on either side behind the line and your thrower deep to receive.

If I were starting a league season, I'd probably drop the ogre for a lineman, pick up an extra reroll and put the rest into dedicated fans. If you want any more rerolls, you're probably going to want to drop some bodyguards as well as the ogre. If it were another team, I'd say skip the thrower, but even if you're not passing, he's another armor 9 piece, so I'd probably keep them in lieu of more linemen, if you're going up against black orcs.

I've only played one game as black orcs, so I don't have much to say there, but it's worth noting you can put your full 6 orcs and your troll on the field with 2 rerolls for (I believe) an even 1,000,000. You might actually be better off swapping the troll for a goblin and a third reroll, but it's pretty tempting to just take the big guy for a one-off game.

My thought was to have two ready-made team rosters for simple pick-up-and-play one-off matches if and when they occur.

Some members (e.g., me) have their own teams, but I thought it would be good to have two roughly evenly matched teams using just the contents of the box.

• Options
    Genuinely surprised at no animal savagery, given the team. Putting claws and mighty blow on a guy is gonna get a lot of old diehards' hackles up, given they don't stack in this edition.

Unchannelled fury is the same thing with a different name right ? either way that’s a scary piece. Only av 8 (or 9+ the new nomenclature is fucking dumb) so yeah that’s getting fouled till dead if it hits the ground.

• Options
    Animal savagery allows you to guarantee the player does what you want at the price of knocking another player down. Unchannelled fury doesn't knock other players over but always has at least a 1 in 6 chance to fail, worse for any action that's not a block or blitz. So a bit less reliable.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Animal savagery allows you to guarantee the player does what you want at the price of knocking another player down. Unchannelled fury doesn't knock other players over but always has at least a 1 in 6 chance to fail, worse for any action that's not a block or blitz. So a bit less reliable.

So it’s old wild animal ? Why even change the name at that point?

• Options
    edited October 2021

My thought was to have two ready-made team rosters for simple pick-up-and-play one-off matches if and when they occur.

Some members (e.g., me) have their own teams, but I thought it would be good to have two roughly evenly matched teams using just the contents of the box.

What might be fun for players, if you have the energy for it, would be to write up 2-3 different starter rosters for each of the two teams in the box, so players who just want to pick up and play still can have some initial decision making.

That way you could go, like
    Imperial Nobility Builds
    Nobility Roster 1: The Ogre Build
    1 ogre
    2 blitzers
    4 bodyguards
    1 thrower
    3 linemen
    1 reroll
    1 assistant coach
    1,000,000 TV

Nobility Roster 2: Full Positions, No Ogre
    2 blitzers
    4 bodyguards
    2 throwers
    3 linemen
    2 rerolls
    995,000 TV

Nobility Roster 3: The Reroll Build
    2 blitzers
    3 bodyguards
    1 thrower
    5 linemen
    3 rerolls
    1 assistant coach
    1,000,000 TV

So then for black orcs you could do
    Black Orc Builds
    Black Orc Roster 1: The Troll Build
    1 troll
    6 black orcs
    5 goblins
    2 rerolls
    1,000,000 TV

Black Orc Roster 3: No Troll Build
    6 black orcs
    6 goblins
    3 rerolls
    1 assistant coach
    1,000,000 TV

Black Orc Roster 2: Big Rerolls
    1 troll
    5 black orcs
    5 goblins
    3 rerolls
    3 assistant coaches
    1,000,000 TV

If you only wanted to provide two options, I'd remove the last one from each list. If you only wanted to do one list per team, you could do the first or second lineup in each list. I'd probably lean towards doing the first one in each list, because otherwise new players are going to be looking at the troll and ogre in the box and going "why can't I use that big guy?" although I think the second lineup in each list will be the better performing. All of these are builds you can do with what's given to you in the box.

Rosters that include the star players that come in the box might be fun, but that'd be a whole other thing to have to work out. You might be able to just tack them onto an existing list, considering they cost the same and would add the same TV... but Griff is the better of the two when it comes to winning games, so it might throw balance off. Then again, the amount by which star players mess things up would probably be offset by the amount new coaches simply make bad calls, so the imbalance might not even be the primary issue.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    So how would you develop nobility anyway ? MB on all bodyguards then guard and tackle(that is a lot of spp) ? Any line man that level probably just get block or tackle aside from the dirty player . Blitzer get dodge and sidestep and then save for stats ? Throwers … don’t even know what to do with them . The team just doesn’t seem like it has a cohesive “goal” to build for.

• Options

And for one-off/pickup games, the Exhibition Play rules are best for that since they also allow you to build in some advancements as well if you want. Just pick a total team value, add equal SPP, and build away. With the base million gold you can get every player on both teams but you’re going to be light on re-rolls. 1.25M will let you get everything and then some though.
    Maybe build four rosters? Two for each team, one with the Big Guy and one with the Star Player per side?

Just remember when you’re playing them that they are actually secretly a rugby league and rugby union team cosplaying as amorical football teams.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I wonder if the Bloodspawn is actually worth 10k more than a Minotaur. You gain claws but lose horns and thick skull. And you only get a use out of claws when rolling a 8 against AV10+. In all other cases mighty blow is as good or better than claws.

Wait, now I'm not sure. Can you use MB on the injury roll when you uses claws for the armour roll?

honovere on
  • Options
    I wonder if the Bloodspawn is actually worth 10k more than a Minotaur. You gain claws but lose horns and thick skull. And you only get a use out of claws when rolling a 8 against AV10+. In all other cases mighty blow is as good or better than claws.

Wait, now I'm not sure. Can you use MB on the injury roll when you uses claws for the armour roll?

Yes , so it’s still good . Just not game breaking.

• Options
    So how would you develop nobility anyway ? MB on all bodyguards then guard and tackle(that is a lot of spp) ? Any line man that level probably just get block or tackle aside from the dirty player . Blitzer get dodge and sidestep and then save for stats ? Throwers … don’t even know what to do with them . The team just doesn’t seem like it has a cohesive “goal” to build for.

If there's a goal they're building for, it's turning the blitzers into superstars while the rest of the team does everything they can to protect/support them. I would skip MB on the bodyguards personally unless you plan on giving them block; wrestle means they're less likely to be rolling armor. They're super defensive pieces. Guard is good, maybe grab. I dunno how much they'll really be earning.

Blitzers want dodge, side step would be good, jump up too, since opponent will want to keep them on the ground and you only get two of them. You really need them. These you might put MB on but you probably just want to focus on scoring skills.

The thrower needs sure hands. After that, they have passing acess, so a leader is always nice. Whatever you want, really. You can basically turn them into another screening piece, so stuff like block is on the table. Sprint or sure feet will help them do that together with running pass.

Linemen, I mean, whatever. Rolling random generals, probably. They're essentially zombies with fend. A bit less disposable, but I wouldn't expect any of them to stick around for long. Put them on the line, and toss them into the meat grinder.

• Options
    If you go for a specific skill on a retainer I'd probably go for kick on one because kick is always great. Otherwise block, wrestle, tackle.

• Options
    I think having a Thrower with On The Ball ready for deep field kicks is also handy but not a priority over, say, Accurate or Sure Hands. What’s really missing from the team is a way to make multiple passes in a turn.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    On the ball would be good, too, yeah. Stuff that aids their mobility and their combat/defensive ability all seem like solid picks after sure hands, in order to capitalize on running pass, which is a fairly unique starter skill to this team.

Edit: actually, and this might be dumb, but guard might be good on the thrower. Move up, running pass the ball to a Blitzer, and then position forward to give an assist with your last bit of movement.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    If you’re doing that, Fend might be a good idea too, both to keep your expensive thrower safe and to keep the opponent locked in place. Being unable to follow up kills frenzy-based cage breaks, for a start.

• Options
    From experience mass fend and stand firm is super annoying to play against on offence with a slow team like Blorcs

• Options
    Yes, yes it is.

• Options

What might be fun for players, if you have the energy for it, would be to write up 2-3 different starter rosters for each of the two teams in the box, so players who just want to pick up and play still can have some initial decision making.

That way you could go, like
    Imperial Nobility Builds
    Nobility Roster 1: The Ogre Build
    1 ogre
    2 blitzers
    4 bodyguards
    1 thrower
    3 linemen
    1 reroll
    1 assistant coach
    1,000,000 TV

Nobility Roster 2: Full Positions, No Ogre
    2 blitzers
    4 bodyguards
    2 throwers
    3 linemen
    2 rerolls
    995,000 TV

Nobility Roster 3: The Reroll Build
    2 blitzers
    3 bodyguards
    1 thrower
    5 linemen
    3 rerolls
    1 assistant coach
    1,000,000 TV

So then for black orcs you could do
    Black Orc Builds
    Black Orc Roster 1: The Troll Build
    1 troll
    6 black orcs
    5 goblins
    2 rerolls
    1,000,000 TV

Black Orc Roster 3: No Troll Build
    6 black orcs
    6 goblins
    3 rerolls
    1 assistant coach
    1,000,000 TV

Black Orc Roster 2: Big Rerolls
    1 troll
    5 black orcs
    5 goblins
    3 rerolls
    3 assistant coaches
    1,000,000 TV

If you only wanted to provide two options, I'd remove the last one from each list. If you only wanted to do one list per team, you could do the first or second lineup in each list. I'd probably lean towards doing the first one in each list, because otherwise new players are going to be looking at the troll and ogre in the box and going "why can't I use that big guy?" although I think the second lineup in each list will be the better performing. All of these are builds you can do with what's given to you in the box.

Rosters that include the star players that come in the box might be fun, but that'd be a whole other thing to have to work out. You might be able to just tack them onto an existing list, considering they cost the same and would add the same TV... but Griff is the better of the two when it comes to winning games, so it might throw balance off. Then again, the amount by which star players mess things up would probably be offset by the amount new coaches simply make bad calls, so the imbalance might not even be the primary issue.

Thanks! This was the sort of thing I was looking for.

And for one-off/pickup games, the Exhibition Play rules are best for that since they also allow you to build in some advancements as well if you want. Just pick a total team value, add equal SPP, and build away. With the base million gold you can get every player on both teams but you’re going to be light on re-rolls. 1.25M will let you get everything and then some though.
    Maybe build four rosters? Two for each team, one with the Big Guy and one with the Star Player per side?

Just remember when you’re playing them that they are actually secretly a rugby league and rugby union team cosplaying as amorical football teams.

That would leave the question of what sort of skills to buy them. (Obv. lot of discussion rn about nobles. What about the blorcs?)

Anyway, how much would that really enhance the feel of the game vs playing the teams un-upgraded?

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Both teams already come with a lot of skills and traits on all their players compared to teams like high elves and humans. I wouldn't at any or at least only a few skills to that at the start.

Blorcs need 1 or 2 orcs with block as a first skill, for blitzing. For the others guard and mighty blow are probably good.

Guard, brawler, stand firm for the troll, maybe.

A gobbo with sure hands would be nice to have to reliably pick up the ball, it's a secondary skill though, so it needs some spp. Almost all general skills are good for them. Might even risk a random there. Frenzy and shadowing are probably the worst you can get.

For agility skills I would probably choose instead of rolling to get a sneaky git (maybe you got a lucky random dirty player on the first stat up). Side step is great. Sure feet, sprint, jump up, catch can all help with scoring and one turn touchdowns.

honovere on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Norway's oldest board game / tt rpg / LARP / miniatures game convention (Hexcon) is coming up, and it has fallen on my shoulders to arrange a BB7 event (plan is two boards so four coaches). Participants can bring their own team (if they have one), but we will be supplying 4 teams (ogres, skaven, nobility, blorcs) pre-made and ready to go (incl. inducements etc) so that we can just start playing immediately. I'll also print up some cheat sheets. Not a league or anything, just one-offs.

I would be much obliged if you have any thoughts on my team composition (or anything else like ideal matchups). The participants at the event will probably be a mix of old hands and complete noobs. I'm aiming for teams that are a) fun and b) roughly balanced (in as much as such is possible). As such, it's not super critical to be at exactly 600k or that inducements perfectly match opposing team TV.

Teams:

Nobility (605k)
    2 blitzers
    1 ogre
    1 thrower
    4 linemen (incl 1 reserve)

Blorcs (610k)
    1 troll
    3 blorcs
    5 goblins (incl 2 reserves)

Skaven (600k)
    2 blitzers
    2 runners
    3 linerats (0 reserves)
    1 reroll
    (Maybe switch the RR for 2 linerat reserves?)

Ogres (605k not counting gnoblar)
    2 ogres
    1 runt punter
    8 gnoblar (incl 6 reserves)
    1 stunty superstar merc inducement (Dirty player 2+, Sneaky git) @110k
    1 legendary lineman merc inducement (block) @70k

Or ogre-ternatively (625k incl gnoblar)?
    3 ogres
    1 runt punter
    4 gnoblar (incl 1 reserve)

[Expletive deleted] on
  • Options
    The Skaven team is the only team with a RR but probably the team that needs it the least. To represent their differing playstyle, that actually allows a passing game maybe change a blitzer or runner for a thrower? (Might not be the more effective choice in 7s, though)

Persoanlly I'd like a blitzer in the Nobility team, but the points cost makes it a bit weird to change out either the thrower or ogre

• Options
    edited October 2021
    The Skaven team is the only team with a RR but probably the team that needs it the least. To represent their differing playstyle, that actually allows a passing game maybe change a blitzer or runner for a thrower? (Might not be the more effective choice in 7s, though)

Persoanlly I'd like a blitzer in the Nobility team, but the points cost makes it a bit weird to change out either the thrower or ogre

I'm a moron. I wrote blocker, but I meant blitzer. There's no such position as blocker on nobility or skaven. I've updated the post.

With blitzers and a thrower on the nobility, they should have a passing game (or be able to, at least).

Skaven are fragile, so I could replace the RR with a couple of linerat reserves. (Or 1 reserve and ca 50k in inducements). Poeple I've spoken to have said that skaven throwers are really good. And completely overshadowed by runners. (At least in 7s.)

Thoughts on the blorcs or ogres? I could ditch the troll for another blorc + something, but he's cool.

[Expletive deleted] on
  • Options
    So out of curiosity I looked at the model boxes in case I could find a local league. Kinda fucking outrageous I would have to buy two boxes because it only brings 2 pestigor. Have you ever seen a nurgle team not run all 4 asap? Moot point no local leagues but still.

• Options
    yeah, some boxes are playable but not ideal. And for some reason they also stopped doing the resin booster sets, I think.