As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Forge World seems to have been cut back to the bone, staff wise. Both creative and manufacturing.
    So they’re not doing a whole lot of anything really, one or two new minis a month, sometimes as many as four, but still not enough time/space to slot random boosters for other teams when they have an enormous backlog of missing characters from the Horus Heresy line and also the more appealing (to customers and designers both) star players to get through.
    It sucks but that’s how it is for now. Hopefully when travel is normalised again they can/will start recruiting more.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    So out of curiosity I looked at the model boxes in case I could find a local league. Kinda fucking outrageous I would have to buy two boxes because it only brings 2 pestigor. Have you ever seen a nurgle team not run all 4 asap? Moot point no local leagues but still.

Yeah some of the boxes are better than others. Some teams, like Necromantic, are basically complete with one box. I think Nurgle might be one of the worse ones. The goblin box is a joke.

Still, two GW boxes is still cheaper than a lot of full third party teams, and nets you a shit ton more models total, if you enjoy customizing or building star players or whatever.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And league game against Gobbos done. 2:2 with 1:0 CAS.

Could've gone better. Despite being placed 2nd in our league I don't think he's that good a player. Scored way too fast and left some wide gaps on defence. Lucky git, though. Especially in the second half. 1:1:, I receive. Ball lands in the utmost corner of the Endzone and he gets perfect defense. Turns out black orks don't deal with that kind of situation that well when you also can't manage to pick up the ball and then can't manage to do any handovers. He scores on defense. Next try. Again ball in the exact same corner of the endzone plaza a quick snap. This time at least picking up the ball works and in turn 6 2:2 with a TTM.
    Then, I try to hurry because we're late I forget to put two goblins back in the reserve box when to orks get back on the field. My fuck up. So my opponents sends of the troll and an ork from the LoS. Kick off i a touchback (6 field deviation plus bounce over the LoS) to complete the situation. No more TD though at least.

Got a.sidestepping diving tackler out of it though.

I'm guessing resin, not plastic.

Fucking finally. He's pretty good looking, too. Though yeah, probably resin. Shame.

edited October 2021
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/30/warhammer-day-2021-dungeon-bowl-is-back-and-its-bloodier-than-ever/
    RWErizMgYg0pIKeR.jpg

College of fire with ogres and dwarves Vs. College of shadow with Dark elves and Skaven

honovere on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I like the idea of Collegiate mixed teams. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't mind seeing Lizardmen + Wood Elves for Life (though that'd be a busted combination), and various Beastmen + Werewolves for Beasts.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    How is dungeon bowl supposed to function, anyway. E.g., passing must be completely worthless, and the cramped spaces must vastly favor bashy teams?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    edited October 2021
    How is dungeon bowl supposed to function, anyway. E.g., passing must be completely worthless, and the cramped spaces must vastly favor bashy teams?

Classic Dungeon Bowl had (random) teleporters and multiple paths do not favour slow teams at all.

Edit: Also, it’s a completely different set of teams, no-one has the ball to start with, and there are traps.
    Basically the combat mechanics are the same but the actual game is completely different. Your field sport intuition does not carry over.

Mr_Rose on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Having recently read the (Black Library) Blood Bowl novel, and assuming it's accurate:
    • A portion of the teams start in their respective endzones (the rooms seen on either side of the set up).
    • The rest of the team is in the dugouts, with additional players being teleported into the dungeon in a constant (periodic) stream.
    • The ball is randomly hidden in one of the dungeon's chests. Chests without the ball explode upon being opened.
    • There are teleportation tiles that randomly warp a player to another spot.
    • You can throw the ball off the walls to teammates.
    • The goal is to get the ball into the opponent's starting room. Meaning that you'll likely either need to bash your way past a Big Guy or have someone with Leap.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Hell yes so getting Dungeon bowl! I loved it back then when it was using the Warhammer quest terrain and a lack of football looking minis when we just used the minis from the box

edited October 2021
    It kinda looks like the teleportal tokens have the numbers cast in place and the treasure chests actually have different contents (one has the ball) so you don’t have to keep paper notes anymore (we could never find a decent set of tokens).
    Also, I’m not seeing a turn track on the dugouts either… looks like it’s good ol’ golden ball rules again.
    Looking at the picture on Warhammer Community, it seems like the tiles in the box are rescaled prints of classic Warhammer Quest tiles which is a fantastic throwback.

I wonder if having all the teams be mixed-race means they will be publishing “dungeon bowl” team sets too?

Mr_Rose on
    I know the sprues for blood bowl are set so I am curious how the minis will come in the game as you may not get what is pictured? I know they said you can play with the normal teams

Did they? I should go watch the replay.

Brainleech wrote: »
    I know the sprues for blood bowl are set so I am curious how the minis will come in the game as you may not get what is pictured? I know they said you can play with the normal teams

the picture of the whole game shows way more models than the team pictures themselves. It's going to be one sprue of each team )ogres, dwarves, dark elves, skaven) in the box, im pretty sure.

edited November 2021
    Next week khorne team, plus booster pack, bloodspawn, scyla, spleenripper, dice, cards, and pitch.

uIpGIBg9aFrfupUE.jpg

m0ZzasbLA9eMip6i.jpg
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/31/sunday-preview-time-to-reap-the-red-harvest/

honovere on
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    That pitch is so wonderfully absurd.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    edited November 2021
    I think I would've like something more brass, less skull a bit better. For readability alone. More like the dugouts.

Also judging from the dugouts the backside will be the same pitch but even more bloodsplatter

honovere on
    I like how the “dead & injure” box has a headsman’s axe and a pit to throw (re-)claimed skulls into.
    But yeah the brass-and-skulls-and-occasional-blood look is definitely something. I can’t imagine that’s comfortable to run on – so easy to turn an ankle.

Not even speaking of the endzone being full of blood filled pits.

*spikes the 🏈 *
    *splash*
    “Wait does it count if it sinks?”

I love the pitch in concept, but it looks even more illegible than Blood Bowl pitches normally are. It's something I love looking at but would probably hate to use.

Those dugouts are great.

Khorne stuff is up and the bloodier side might actually be more legible. But now your irregular skull surface is also really, really slippery.

Not much new regular game content in the new spike. Khorne Pitch, weather, kickoff, balls. Blackhoof, Scyla, Spleenripper, Akhorne starplayers. Special Chaos leagues rules. No inducements or stuff for other Chaos teams really like the preview claimed.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    My board game club's annual con was this weeked, and I hosted a BB7 turnament with 4 players. We only had time for 1 match, so we paired up and let SPP be the determining factor of who won overall. Both tables finished 2-1 but I got the most SPP and so won the entire thing.

(I was Skaven vs Khorne, so it was a bit like clubbing baby seals, but still.)

We later managed to get a second game in, me (ogres) vs the Khorne guy (now goblins, 4 linemen + 2 trolls). 1-0 to goblins. But frankly, it was some poor decision-making on my part the last few turns on the last half or it would have been 1-0 the other way. Should have gone for the ball and not the man.

Ogres again: I've been thinking about the new mercenary rules in BB Death Zone.

Consider the following:
    2 blockers, 1 rp, 6 gnoblar for total of 515k. Team Value (due to low cost linemen) 425k.
    Then, 2 legendary limenmen mercs with block and +1MA -1PA for 80k each. (Stats 7/3/3+/5+/9+; block, loner (4+))
    Also, 1 brutal blocker merc with block for 100k. (Stats 4/4/4+/6+/9+; block, loner (4+))
    Total of 260k merc inducements.

Assuming a TV of 600k for the opponent, I have 175k in petty cash for inducements. Add the 85k saved up, and induce the 3 mercs.

Could I then field 2 blockers + 1 rp + 3 mercs + 1 gnoblar on the field, 5 gnoblar reserves?

In favor: It says I can induce 3 mercs; I assume I can field them in addition to other whatever other players I want to.

Against: The BB7 rules say "A Blood Bowl Sevens team may include a maximum of four (4) players that are not linemen." The base rule book says "The normal limits on the total number of players allowed on a team and in each position apply to Mercenaries."

Counterpoint: The base rule book's merc rules are superseeded by the supplement's rules (according to the supplement), and it does not contain a similar ruling. Furthermore, the mercs aren't on the team, they're inducements.

Thoughts?

That the mercs are called linemen could further complicate that :)

Personally I don't think the 4 not linemen restriction counts for inducements.

On the other hand mercs are really really good for what they cost and having half the team be mercs in sevens feels a bit against the spirit of the game

Sevens specifically says I can have 3 merc inducements. In practice, I think only ogres would be typically able to afford more than 1. And even then, only the first game; after that I'd be out of savings and have to rely only on petty cash. I'd have to skip the blocker merc.

It's mean, but if any team needs it it'd be the ogres. (Playing with the regular merc rules would allow 2 blockers + 2 rp + 3 goblins on the field and effectively infinite gnoblar reserves. But that would certainly be weaker than the expension rules.)

(Anyways, legendary linemen are technically not linemen; the sevens rules specifically define linemen as the 0–12 or 0–16 positionals.)

So, Scylla might be the only player you ever want to roll a 1 on their “be useless for a turn” trait - his special ability is to, 1/game, turn that failure to make one block into two blocks. And he has Frenzy on top.

edited November 2021
    After a few delays due to life, our league finals are coming up this coming week... and my Ogres are in them! It's fucking wild. I'll be going up against a Norse team who is pretty bruised and down to 12 players after a particularly violent playoff match against a Goblin team, so I actually have a shot (although the Norse guy is quite good and mains that team exclusively, so he really knows how to get the most out of them).

I'm down an ogre, too, after my playoff versus Nurgle. He was my Runt Punter with On the Ball and Leader, so a MNG on him hurts. I thought about rehiring a new one just to have a full set of ogres on the field, but at this point I feel I might actually carry these guys into another season, so I want to keep my levelled dude on my roster for the redraft. The last few games I've had have felt really good. Our Nurgle player hated playing against gnoblars specifically.

I have successfully cooked up a ball carrying ogre who everyone hates and knows by name. Grenda the Bad Bitch has Strong Arm, Break Tackle, Dodge, and Pro. She also has 26 SPP saved up which I'm hoping to convert into a +Ag or +MA once she gets those last few casualties and/or touchdowns. If I roll a bad stat-up like Passing or something I'll probably get her Sure Hands, though Block is always on the table.

My ogres are actually fucking stupid at this point. All of them have levelled up at least twice over the course of the season. A lot of them are fairly weak random rolls, sure (that strong arm on Grenda is hard to look at now that I'm approaching max level with her) but skills is skills. For my Gnoblars I've been trying to save up for random Generals for the laughs, but it hasn't really shaped up to be that entertaining. I do have a guy with Pro who has used it to help score a couple TDs, but I was really hoping to stumble into absurd stuff like Block or Frenzy.

BloodySloth on
    Note for stat boosting; if you want Ag or MA you can’t fail. MA is an option for every result 1-13 and Ag is on 14&15 (and 16 is anything).

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Note for stat boosting; if you want Ag or MA you can’t fail. MA is an option for every result 1-13 and Ag is on 14&15 (and 16 is anything).

Excellent news! I haven't taken a real look at rolling for stat-ups just because it hasn't been a real option for me most of the time. I know our Wood Elf player put a +MA on one of his dancers this season.

Trying to wrap my head around Throw Team-mate.

If the thrown player lands in an unoccupied square: "The thrown player will Fall Over, as described on page 27. If the thrown player was in possession of the ball, a Turnover is caused. Otherwise, no Turnover is caused."

If the thrown player lands in an occupied square: "The thrown player will bounce (as if they were a ball) from the square they land in and will automatically Fall Over upon landing, as described on page 27." No mention of Turnover or the ball in this part. In fact, it's not clear what happens with the ball in this scenario at all.

The rules for Falling Over on p. 27 says if a player Falls Over, a turnover is caused. (It also says a player can only Fall Over on their own activation, which isn't true, e.g., when being Thrown.)

So, if I Throw a player into an already occupied square, does a Turnover happen? And does it depend on if the thrown player was holding the ball or not? And what does happen with the ball, if the Thrown player was carrying it?

Also, if the Thrower fumbled the throw, is that a Turnover?

Turn over only happens if the activated player falls over or if any player on your team loses the ball.

For throw team mate that means no turnover if the thrown player doesn't also carry the ball.

honovere wrote: »
    Turn over only happens if the activated player falls over or if any player on your team loses the ball.

For throw team mate that means no turnover if the thrown player doesn't also carry the ball.

That seems to be the consensus on the net, although I feel p 27 in the rule book directly contradicts this. (But that page also falsely state that players can only fall over on their own activation, so :rotate:)

Note, with Throw Team Mate, there is another condition where a turnover can be caused: the thrower targets a square within three spaces, and the thrown player scatters back onto them, knocking over the thrower (i.e. the active player).

The lineups are a bit weird in places. Khorne is everywhere for some reason, and the college of death looks like it's really suffering from a couple of Undead teams still being in Teams of Legend.

We're trying out some tourney rules for BB7s that's supposed to even the playing field. So I wanna try with my ogres.

They get 600k, linemen cost 0, have 24 spp to work with (max 1 new skill per player), but can't buy any inducements.

So, 3 ogres with brawler and the rp with leader; or 1 ogre with block, 1 ogre with brawler, 1 rp with leader + 1 RR?