As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Batman] - Arkham Knight - Delayed to 2015

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I think it's a good sign.
    I'm more encouraged by that than someone saying 'our games were perfect, and if anyone had a problem with some of the designs or controls or whatever, that's just their fault for not recognising genius'

I'm still a little worried about this game, though. Rocksteady dropped enough hints for a sequel in City, were they not actually planning to make one?
    Considering their track record, I find it hard to believe that someone would have said "forget that third Arkham game guys, we want you to make something else"

They're probably making one, but saving it for the next generation of consoles.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    IMHO that was brilliant PR.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    This releases the day after my birthday. Which would normally be excellent! Except we don't really do birthdays here. Fucking terrible, I know :(

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So, I loved the first two games, and I'm hoping Arkham Origins will be a lot of fun. But I have some concerns about it. On of them is the scale/size of the game. First, look at this. That's the view of where Arkham City was in relation to Gotham City proper. It's a great sight, isn't it? Sure, you're on this walled off slum island, but it's half-surrounded by a beautiful vista of towering skyscrapers, with two suspension bridges leading off into the depths of Gotham. I bet when you heard Arkham Origins was set in Gotham at large, this sight was one of the things you thought of.

Based on the shape and size of the island relative to Gotham, and the fact that it includes the Tri-Corner GCPD building and the Tri-Corner docks, it seems likely Arkham City is supposed to be built on Tri-Corner island, in the southern corner of Gotham, as shown on the official Gotham City Map. This map, or the record, was used in Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, and the Nolan movies. The game takes some liberties, incorporating interesting landmarks from elsewhere in the city, but who can fault that?

Now, here is the Arkham Origins map, broken into sections, from a scan of the Game Informer article:

I8Rwxzw.jpg

As you can see, the northern Island is the Arkham City island. The article confirms that it's basically the same locale, just less ruined, and without the Amusement Mile being flooded. It is connected to the southern island by a suspension bridge. The southern island is downtown Gotham, with much bigger buildings. It's roughly the same size as the northern island. So, the game world has roughly doubled from the size of AC. It is also much, much smaller than the Gotham City seen in the distance of AC, or in the official city map.

Why does this bother me? For two reasons. One, this seems much, much smaller scale than initially expected. Either this new game is shrinking the rest of Gotham dramatically, or you only get access to another small part of its downtown region. It doesn't really live up to the lure of that vista from Wonder Tower in AC. Still, games have to be practical, and making all of Gotham playable was probably unfeasible.

The second reason concerns me more. They are clearly re-using a lot of assets from the previous game. Not just models and textures and whatnot, but the entire game world of AC, just touched up a bit. That makes sense, it makes the job easier on them. But while I can only speak for myself here, I was kinda hoping to explore more new territory, and not re-visit the old stuff so much. Considering the game has only just been announced for the first time, and will drop in just over half a year, it'd be reasonable to worry about this game's development being rushed. Now, if WB Montreal only had so much time to work with, and thought re-using stuff from AC would free them up to work more on new things, I'm okay with that. But I'm also a little worried that this short development time, combined with the re-use of assets, bodes a game where significant corners had to be cut.

We'll see where it goes as we learn more about the game. For now, I'm optimistic, but I think it would be wise not to pre-order, just to be safe.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Southern Island looks like South America

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    It will be interesting to see a lower tech Batman. I wonder if some of his stuff will look simpler.

It would be cool if some of his interfaces were lower rez.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Make what you will of this.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Fixed for you :)

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    That definitely looks more like
    Great White Shark than Zsasz to me

Glad it looks like Scarecrow is coming back

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Report: Batman Arkham Origins doesn't feature voice actor Kevin Conroy
    Batman mainstay Kevin Conroy is reportedly not voicing the caped crusader in Arkham Origins. According to South African magazine NAG, Warner Bros. Montreal passed on Conroy, who played Batman in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, as well as most of the hero's animated adventures across the last 20 years. NAG says the developer wanted another actor to portray Origins' younger version of the dark knight.

The report adds up with WBG Montreal's approach to the upcoming prequel. In a Game Informer interview, DC Comics Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns explained Origins is about "Batman's initiation into that insane world" of the other Arkham games.

"It's called Arkham Origins and it really is the introduction of what Arkham means," Johns told Game Informer. "Arkham evokes a sense of insanity and chaos embodied in the twisted minds and colorful villains of the Batman universe. That had to start somewhere."

As revealed earlier this month, Batman: Arkham Origins swings onto retail shelves this year; the bat-time is October 25, and the bat-channels are PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PC. Companion game Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate drops onto the Vita and 3DS on the same day.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I'll never understand developers and directors who change things just to do it. This makes me sad.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That's a shame, but in a way it lessens the blow of Mark Hamill not being in it either. That is, if he has indeed retired his Joker.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Actually I'm down with that. Kevin Conroy is the best Batman, but "young" is definitely not how I would describe his take on the character.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I hope they don't get the guy from the Batman: Year One animated movie

he was terrible

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I hope they don't get the guy from the Batman: Year One animated movie

he was terrible

Fuck that

Ben McKenzie was fantastic

I'd love to see him in this

But most of the DC animated films tend to rely on one-time castings of television actors these days

So I'm not counting on him being in a game

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Hamill's Joker was actually destroying his voice, apparently, so that's not happening again

Conroy not being asked is a bit... sad, I suppose. He seems like a dude who would gladly play Batman forever

But hell, there have been a ton of great Batmen over the last few years. Diedrich Bader, Jeremy Sisto, Bruce Greenwood... Conroy's great, maybe even definitive, but he's hardly the only person who can do a great Batman

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Diedrich Bader was surprisingly great in Brave and the Bold, but I don't think he'd fit the tone of the Arkham games.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Conroy is the definitive Batman, and as far as I'm concerned, he is the only person who can do a great Batman. There are a ton of VAs who can do a good Batman, and the reasoning behind not using him on Origins makes sense I suppose, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    To me, Conroy is Batman. But his absence doesn't change that fact that I'm looking forward to the game. It just means I need to hear the new guy talk a little to make sure it's not terrible.

• Options
    Hey, maybe they'll get Christian Bale!

I'll get my coat.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    So, apparently Arkham City's a board game now.

There's a miniatures game, too, although I'll have to do some digging for the link.

EDIT: Here we go.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Hamill's not coming back because 1) he probably wasn't asked (assuming Joker is even in this), and 2) he's being more selective with projects in which he plays the Joker. I think the bit about the role hurting his voice wasn't entirely accurate and misrepresented, as IIRC he mostly dismissed the claim. It's best to hear him explain it in his own words on Fat Man on Batman, but the general gist is that he wants to give other people the opportunity to take up the role because he doesn't want to wear out his welcome, so to speak. Which is fine, because we never would have gotten Michael Emerson as Joker in the TDKR adaptation if Hamill took on the role (which I'm not so sure his Joker would have been best for). Other people can do Joker, and other people can do Batman, but we'll never know who can fill those roles (Emerson, and I guess Bader who I haven't heard yet) and who can't (McKenzie) if Conroy and Hamill are constantly voicing them.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    People really didn't like McKenzie?

Crazy talk

I still need to see The Dark Knight Returns. I hate the comic but Michael Emerson Joker is something I need in my life

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    People really didn't like McKenzie?

Crazy talk

I still need to see The Dark Knight Returns. I hate the comic but Michael Emerson Joker is something I need in my life

McKenzie was pretty flat

I thought he worked for that particular story? But I don't know that I could take him for more than seventy minutes or so

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    He's not someone I think would be fit for the role all the time, but since it's a young, upstart Batman, I thought it was a pretty good take

And that's what this game is, so I think it'd be nice

I would be more pissed if Conroy were doing the VA for this

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I like Diedrich Bader a lot in Brave and the Bold, but I don't think he would be a good fit for a more serious Batman. He is a great fit for Guy Gardner in Green Lantern though.

And to further the list of people who can't play certain roles, John DiMaggio is not a good Joker. He was terrible in Under the Red Hood.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Wait, with David Hayter out as Big Boss at Konami...and Kevin Conroy out as Batman at WB Montreal...

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    As for who they could actually cast if they do the Joker

I thought Richard Epcar did a fine job in Injustice

• Options
    As for who they could actually cast if they do the Joker

I thought Richard Epcar did a fine job in Injustice

No.

He was awful. Might as well just pick any random person off the street and say "read these lines."

A four year old chinese girl would make a better Joker than that Epcar guy.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Here guys, have some new images:
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Here are the others:

Pvuchfd.jpg
    gFWBMDp.jpg
    x4D0uM5.jpg
    sx2Nxta.jpg
    tL1W8EB.jpg
    jWPhAtU.jpg

I realllllly like the look of the suit in this

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Hey, maybe they'll get Christian Bale!

I'll get my logenzes.

• Options
    Yeah. Diggin' that suit!

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    It's the same suit but with some tweaked details (mostly in the abdominal pads and cowl neck):

batmanarkham_shakehands.jpg
    Batman-Arkham-City.jpg

Which is not a bad thing. Also I believe Batman is thinner in the new shots. If so, nice touch.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    The cowl looks too much like the Nolanverse cowl.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I really wish they hadn't added campaigns or whatever they're called to the challenges in City. Completely killed my interest in 100%ing the game.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Batman: Arkham Origins CG teaser pits the Dark Knight against Deathstroke
    Batman: Arkham Origins publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment released a CG teaser for the upcoming open-world action game today, showing off a fight between Batman and Deathstroke at the docks.

The battle consists of hand-to-hand fighting, the cornerstone of the combat in the two previous Arkham titles by Rocksteady Studios. Batman: Arkham Origins is being developed by WB Games Montreal, and will not feature longtime Dark Knight voice actor Kevin Conroy. It will include a multiplayer mode.

Arkham Origins will be available Oct. 25 on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Windows PC and Wii U. A separate handheld title, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, is being made by Armature Studio and will be released the same day on PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS. You can check out some screenshots here; Warner Bros. will release a full trailer for Arkham Origins on May 20.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    It will include a multiplayer mode.

This is... interesting.

My gut reaction is to freak out and be upset, but ME3 and Max Payne 3 ended up having awesome multi when you would think they wouldnt. Multi in an Arkham game could be cool, especially if it's co op. Or like 2v2 Batman/Robin vs Mooks.

This discussion has been closed.