Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #4

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Elimination #4

Which of the Artists will be chosen to meet the Creators and face the 4th elimination?

Read the full story here

Dog on

• mml007mml007 Registered User new member
    refresh, refresh, yes!

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    I guess I'll have a go at this elimination challenge tonight as well. I dare you to take me on. :D

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2013
    I think we really saw a lot of Mac's personality in this one that we hadn't seen before.

@Mynt: man, that was intense.

To the result..... WHAAAAA???

I am definitely less interested in the show now. Which is probably good, I was too invested.

zerzhul on
    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    LesStewartsuperjermsRaakamemarecksaykayfraggyTheSpyderRubik_the_Cubehistronic
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    OMG!!! LEXXY!!! OMG!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

*clears throat*

What I mean to say is that I find the result of this episode to be agreeable.

That being said, I was a little crushed by how wounded Nick looked. I understand how he must feel... It hurts because he seems like such a nice guy; I mean, they ALL seem nice. Still, Nick looked really defeated...

Spman2099 on
    KnightmarecwDeiciLesStewartWarribsXeavnenderandrewfraggy
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    I had decided to try to follow the challenge myself, to pause as soon as they said the topics, and then set a clock for 90 minutes and go. But as soon as they said Flatulence, I got doubts, and when they said Country Fair I was like “No, I can’t put it together”. No way would I make it even a day in the house. No way.

Knightmaredroopybuns
  • KnightmareKnightmare PittsburghRegistered User regular
    It was really nice to see Mac's personality- I felt that he was blending in to the background a bit, but it was so nice to be able to see a focus on his art and his personality!

But wow this episode was pretty intense for me towards the end- I really was not expecting it. It would feel pretty terrible to go into a head-to-head competition and both get axed! I'm really intrigued for what is going to happen next episode after that ending though...

cwDeicidroopybuns
  • JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    WHOA. WHAT?

I mean... on one hand... it's THEIR show - Mike and Jerry - and they can do whatever they want. And it's their company the winner will work for, so... cool?

On the other hand, though, if the rules of the game can be twisted like this to their liking, then the game isn't really reliable, is it? I don't know. Lexxy's strip was amazing, so I can't be mad about this. And, hey, screw it, it makes good "television."

cwDeiciRaakam
  • RecycledHeroRecycledHero Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Did not see that coming but should i expect anything less? Btw #draweveryfuckingday should be on a shirt without the hash tag of course.

RecycledHero on
    cwDeici
  • JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    I also wanna echo the comments about Mac. Great to see him relax. I think he kinda wanted to be off the show, haha.

Nick really had his heart set on this, but he definitely has some learning to do. I look forward to seeing what both of them create!

droopybunsthere'saforum?
    Mac’s was my favorite strip of the two tonight, but, as I said, I really didn’t like the topic. I was fine with their decision to cut both.

JoshEck wrote: »
    WHOA. WHAT?

I mean... on one hand... it's THEIR show - Mike and Jerry - and they can do whatever they want. And it's their company the winner will work for, so... cool?

On the other hand, though, if the rules of the game can be twisted like this to their liking, then the game isn't really reliable, is it? I don't know. Lexxy's strip was amazing, so I can't be mad about this. And, hey, screw it, it makes good "television."

It does seem like they are manipulating, and mitigating, the game aspect. However, I personally love it. I did NOT expect that. Also, I am absolutely dying to see the reactions in the next episode. Honestly, this just makes the show so damn compelling...

Does this mean that Lexxy's drawing is going to go up on that wall?

• ondonasandondonasand Registered User regular
    Holy Whoa! What the what!? This episode was, quite literally, a game changer. I don't even... my mind is utterly blown.

• kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    Wow. That was a crazytown-rollercoaster.

First I was ecstatic that Katie did not have to go.
    Then I was dumbfounded when they eliminated both, but agreed that both strips were really weak.
    Then I thought about how angry the internet will be, that they can elim both but Lexxy had to go.
    And when Graham knocked on Lexxys door... just.. bonkers... what a ride.

Suddenly it does not seem so out of place that Mike will just break into the house and beat Abby with her tangents...

cwDeiciWarribsAzaminoPavio
    Oh BAM! I just got to the very end! G R E A T!

DoctorPhanan
  • cbricharcbrichar Registered User regular
    WHAA??

(5 min. later...)

HUWAAAH??!!

adx2infinitum
  • cwDeicicwDeici Registered User regular
    Oh wow!

Btw.: Guess I should've gone with my ranking earlier instead of thinking about the shoots (how Nick is on the stairs in one of them).

• mml007mml007 Registered User new member
    wow... That was unexpected!

• InvoluntaryPhilanthropistInvoluntaryPhilanthropist Registered User regular
    This is the fucking M. Night Shyamalan of strip search episodes

spillfishadx2infinitumJayeEmmthere'saforum?DexOZTheScruplehistronic
  • DancingCaseyDancingCasey Registered User regular
    This... was. What?

there'saforum?
  • GorstaggGorstagg Registered User new member
    First off. Bravo. Great and thrilling.

I still intensely dislike the 90 minutes. I think 120 would be the perfect cooker, but they went with 90.

As far as rules, they can make them up and adjust them, I have no problems with that, why? Cause we don't know the full rules. Only from challenge to challenge, and nothing states in the Elimination challenge one must go.

Though Ironically I actually laughed on Nick's joke, one of the few I've seen so far that was funny.

Overall great show! And I can't wait for Amy to have to put up. But I'm glad the rest of the artists are friendly.. and <3 Katie!

enderandrew
  • DoctorPhananDoctorPhanan Registered User new member
    #TeamLexxy

spillfishWarribsSandra SnanKoopahTroopahwn.mikeJoetown17Cambiata
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    WOW!
    Lexxy's back in the game? That's going to be great.
    Also, who knew Mac was so funny? I wish we would have seen more of him before this elimination.
    Finally, both pieces were bad. The art in Nick's was just not good, like a bad knock off of a B. Kliban comic. And the dialogue was also bad.
    I agree with Mike and Jerry that I couldn't believe that's all mac came up with in 90 minutes.
    Really looking forward to Tuesday's show.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
  • CheeseGod99CheeseGod99 Registered User regular
    I think Mac is a great artist, but I actually expected Nick to mop the floor with him (I actually thought he was a contender for winning the whole thing), but that was just a hard, hard topic combo. I think it was ballsy for Mike and Jerry to cut them both, but at the same time it helps them redeem the previous night's debacle. I'm excited to keep following all of these great artists!

I envy those for whom people playing brass instruments with their asses isn’t a done-to-death gag. If Nick is in this category, congratulations to him that he stumbled on a classic, but also condoleances for falling in to overly-trodden steps. Really weird episode and I fully condone it!

RottonappleCambiataSejarki
  • wibblymatwibblymat Registered User new member
    Interesting gender balance now - 4 men eliminated and no women

DancingCaseyspillfishRamiushistronicPavioTheSpyderAveryJJworld
    Like a Phoenix from the ashes!

• superjermssuperjerms Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    @Mynt: man, that was intense.

To the result..... WHAAAAA???

This. Mike and Jerry know what they're doing, but @Mynt man. Nonononononono

Oh well. Still worried about Abby getting a fair shake when she goes up. Hope she blows them away, she's easily the funniest one there, even if she's less experienced with the art. And, she & maki have, far and away, made the best of this opportunity now that the show is going. #TeamTangent

superjerms on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    I was sure Nick was going to win, because his second panel art was at least amusing to look at - I didn't really understand Mac's comic, like Mike and Jerry.

On the other hand, it was disappointing because this was the first time that we really got to see Mac's personality - he's a funny guy! He was usually so quiet in the house, and seemed sort of on edge during the interview challenge, so we didn't see that side of him there.

Still, double elimination and bringing back Lexxy is a pretty good move. It means the average ability in the household will go up, and they were so beat up about having to let one of two really good cartoonists go.

I'm really worried about what happens when Abby gets put up for elimination. I feel like Mike is biased against her already purely because of her stand-up. We know she can pull out different art styles from the last episode, but she might have to work that much harder just because Mike hates her tangents.

I write about games at Curiouser.org
    Mike has, on the elimination, voted against his opinions of the stand-ups several times. He expressed admiration for both Lexxy’s and Mac’s, and they were eliminated. So I hope and think he can go in the other direction as well.

cwDeici
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Mike said he thought Lexxy's stand up illustration was the only style she could do. But wouldn't Mike have seen their portfolios?

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
  • Korbei83Korbei83 Registered User regular
    That took balls.

It calls into question the validity of every elimination challenge so far as well as each to come. I'm interested to see how the remaining Artists react as well as the implications on their choices going forward.

Now we have no idea what the hell is going to happen. What a twist.

spillfishthere'saforum?
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    I'm....not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand, it's their show, they can do what they want, and at the end of the day, they do have a vested interest in the outcome because they need to work with the winner for a year.

On the other hand, the fact that they have a vested interest in the winner appears to be defeating the purpose of the challenge system.

I'm just worried that the entire idea of eliminating both Mac and Nick only even occurred to them as a justification of bringing Lexxy back, and it bothers me that they're willing to just mess with the game to get their desired outcome. They might as well just declare a winner now in that case.

But then at the same time, all we've seen is a teaser clip of Graham knocking on Lexxy's door. For all we know, the freed up spot is actually going to go to one out of Lexxy, Ty or Alex based on some contest we don't even know exists yet, and they just showed us Lexxy because they know tensions will be running high about her after the previous day's elimination being so hard.

I'll reserve judgement until Tuesday, but if they just walked up to Lexxy and said "Well, Mike really likes your art, so we changed the fundamental process of the game to rig you a return spot" it's going to be pretty damaging to my enjoyment of the series.

And for the record, I think Lexxy's art is amazing, and I think she wouldn't have been up for elimination last time if the twitter challenge and skateboard challenge had been done in the reverse order, but that's the fundamental principle of reality tv: Sometimes you get a challenge to a weak point early, and get eliminated when you might have gone further if they'd been done differently.

I'd be happy to see Lexxy continue on in the show, just not if the only reason she can is "Mike felt bad and wanted to change the rules"

Raakamcgsguy2
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    Boo!

Booooo!

there'saforum?PavioAveryJJworld
  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    Wow I just now realized that the ferris-wheel unhinges... At first i thought the thud came from the screw and coincided with the pigfart. I think i like it less now. Before it had something Dada. I really dig Macs art and don't really get Mike frustration, but that is personal taste, i guess. The strip just really lacked concept and had a low brow joke.

It hurts to say, but I am really disappointed in Nicks strip. His Brother strip on his site looks great, but this one is just not working for me. I really liked some of the intermediate stages seen in the episode, but the finished strip is just not looking good. The font, the colors, some really bad desicions in my opinion.

I agree that the topics were really bad, but so were Areola and Circus.

cwDeiciKamelonwebofink
  • VerticalEventVerticalEvent Registered User regular
    I didn't think either strip was that bad. They were not outstanding, but generally well put together, given the fact that they only had 90 minutes and two words to go by. I think the flow was off for Macs (I think he was trying to imply the big guy ate the hot dog, which caused him to fart). It seemed like it needed another two or three panels to connect the first half to the last half, especially where the punchline of the comic (the guy assumingly fell) isn't communicated and the action is in the background.

Nick had a good idea, but needed more time to make it polish it. Again, flow problems. Panel 1 seems doesn't seem particularly well suited for the second panel, there's no real lead in or even a joke to give it a purpose. It sets the setting, but, if you remove the first panel, the second panel could easily set up the setting. Nick's could of been a single panel and nothing would of been lost. I wonder if it would of been better off if he had try to do a Far Side-style strip.

Interesting changes in the meta-game if Lexxy is coming back - it means you could potentially return if you are eliminated, but, at the same time, by going into elimination, you are not guaranteed a 50% chance of returning.

edited April 2013
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I was sure Nick was going to win, because his second panel art was at least amusing to look at - I didn't really understand Mac's comic, like Mike and Jerry.

On the other hand, it was disappointing because this was the first time that we really got to see Mac's personality - he's a funny guy! He was usually so quiet in the house, and seemed sort of on edge during the interview challenge, so we didn't see that side of him there.

Still, double elimination and bringing back Lexxy is a pretty good move. It means the average ability in the household will go up, and they were so beat up about having to let one of two really good cartoonists go.

I'm really worried about what happens when Abby gets put up for elimination. I feel like Mike is biased against her already purely because of her stand-up. We know she can pull out different art styles from the last episode, but she might have to work that much harder just because Mike hates her tangents.

My understanding was that Mac was trying to write a joke on causality... Well, that is the best understanding I can come up with at least.

Honestly, it was interesting and vague; but more than anything, it was perplexing and disorienting. Maybe that comic was Mac's visual take on a Buddhist Koan?

Spman2099 on
    cwDeici
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Did not see that one coming at all. Really surprised at the double elimination, but that clearly opened the door to bring a formerly eliminated contestant back.

cwDeici
    The fundamental idea of the show is to find the next great webcomic, not to adhere to a set of abstract rules.
    Granted, rules are necessary to maintain order and stability, but reality shows have a long and storied tradition of occasionally breaking them.

As for who should get the spot, I'd appreciate a competition too, but I'm ok if they just go by the art the eliminated have already submitted, in which case Lexxy wins.

Wraith260enderandrewCambiata
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    Mac's comic was fairly incoherent.

Cambiata
  • VerticalEventVerticalEvent Registered User regular
    kolybry wrote: »

I agree that the topics were really bad, but so were Areola and Circus.

I don't think the topics were that bad - they gave an action (Faltulence) and a setting (Country Fair), so I had two strip ideas the moment I saw them (a fart competition; a marathon eating competition). Circus (Setting) and Areola (Object) were pretty good ones for the same reason. Lost and The Future were really bad ones because both seem to be very abstract (Lost is kind of an action, I guess). Table Tennis and Space was another good one (Object and a Setting).