The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #4

• GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    WHAAAAAAAAAT

WarribsShpydarzerzhul
  • DemonicoreoDemonicoreo Registered User regular
    Watching both Nick and Mac go up to challenge was hard enough for me. Watching the elimination choice had me walking outside to cool off. If they are going to do a challenge to allow one of the eliminated a chance to come back, then I can go with it. If all they do is bring Lexxy back.... yeah. It may be time to step away from watching this. I will support the show and what it means to do still but I feel that even if it is hard for the judges, their still needs to be ground rules for both sides that have to be followed.

I hope either Jerry or Mike will be willing to expound on what happened tonight or after Tuesday's episode and all it will entail.

Nick, Mac, it sucked bad watching you both go up there. I do admit I had a few "huh?" spots myself on the comics but the last panel for both had me laughing. Butt horns and a farting pig.

Fuck it. The vocal Lexxy fanatics are fucking pants on head retarded.
    RaakamPavio
  • Breten4Breten4 Registered User new member
    Wow just wow. As I read the two comics produced I kept thinking....neither of these guys deserve to stay if Lexxy was eliminated. When they shredded both of their comics my outrage grew as I thought, if two can be knocked out why can't two stay. When they knocked on her door I started cheering. It was the right things to do.

That said I will miss Mac. The guy was just so gosh darned cute.

droopybunsSpman2099CrowlestoncwDeicienderandrewRamiusCambiataFileClerk
  • there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    Damn, I didn't see that one coming. Kind of a dick move to announce it that way, I mean look at Nick's expression - terror followed by relief followed by shock and more terror :(

I liked Lexxy a lot, but I really don't like the idea of throwing her back into the mix. It devalues the challenge of the elimination round if "The Creators" can just go back on any decision whenever they want to...

Pavio
  • SearchSearch Registered User new member
    I was expecting something like this at some point as wild cards are a common thing in reality shows but after the way lexy went out only the day before think it is a bit too soon to bring her back. I would have preferred to bring Alex back as one challenge hard to say what he would have been like. Also think those were the weakest strips in the elimination so far

• DancingCaseyDancingCasey Registered User regular
    I was entertained by Mac's chain of events after sitting and looking for a bit the unrelated became related. As Jerry said, it was fart physics. It was fairly weak though. Nick on the other hand, I loved in some ways. I wouldn't completely eliminate the text, but it needed a huge haircut. The name of the previous band was hilarious and intriguing and the art was hilarious. It got so hung up in the connection to the "country fair" that it lost itself.

That being said I lost some investment and feeling of consequence for the competition. Either of those would have been an acceptable choice to give another chance in my mind. The judges were too close to their decision from the previous day. I blame the producer for indulging them :P

zerzhulSpiritfire
  • PiotyrPiotyr Registered User regular
    That elimination challenge was disappointing, because I feel like those two strips were the worst 2 overall so far in the competition. I have a feeling Mike and Jerry felt the same way, which is why they did what they did.

That said, I feel terrible for Nick, who seemed as if he felt he was safe twice there only to have his hopes crushed immediately afterwards. One situation where the personal visit backfired a bit.

Cambiata
    @CWDEICI:
    All true, but reality shows that arbitrarily break their own rules have a reputation of sorts, one that PA would've like to avoid, I think.

Sending Lexxy back in will create turmoil and uncertainty, which might result in TV drama that the shittiest RTV shows regularly go for. I liked Strip Search precisely because they had avoided that, the show was about interesting creative people doing their own thing - not about forming cliques and nursing grievances and breeding paranoia and crying for the camera...

• JayeEmmJayeEmm Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    OH SHIT. Watching at work, gasped so loud when they shredded the 2nd comic that everyone around me looked at me. oops. I gotta say I didn't love either comic but at least I got the idea of the farting brass band - didn't quite get Mac's as others have said.

Count me in for hoping it's not just "bring Lexxy back 'cause we say so", but an equal chance for any of the previously eliminated artists to come back. That would be only fair.

I hate seeing anyone leave, can't they all just win?

ETA: It's a legitimate reality show strategy to nominate the two people you feel are the best and therefore your biggest competition, just to give yourself a better chance of winning. Not necessarily nice or fair, but if there are no rules against it - fair game. I don't think anyone's actually done that with their nominations so far, but there's a decent chance it could happen before the end of the show. So what are The Creators going to do next time there are two strong comics in an elimination and they have to choose one to go?

JayeEmm on
  • DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Great episode overall, definitely gotta see what happens next. I definitely preferred Lexxy's strip in the previous elimination, so I'm hoping she at least gets a shot at coming back to the house. Can someone please explain to me what exactly a tangent is? Cuz I don't understand the hate for Abby's stand-up.

EDIT: Okay, so I went and googled it. Turns out tangents just don't bug me, I didn't notice anything wrong with any of the samples given on the page I saw either. Hurray for not having an artist's brain?

Deimir on
    Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Deimir wrote: »
    Great episode overall, definitely gotta see what happens next. I definitely preferred Lexxy's strip in the previous elimination, so I'm hoping she at least gets a shot at coming back to the house. Can someone please explain to me what exactly a tangent is? Cuz I don't understand the hate for Abby's stand-up.

http://emptyeasel.com/2008/11/18/avoiding-tangents-9-visual-blunders-every-artist-should-watch-out-for/

Her standee is supposed to be shrugging, but the angle of the lines makes it look like her chin is resting on her shoulder.

Devonin on
    adx2infinitum
    edited April 2013
    @Deimir: It's a straight line touching a curve. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent

Art-wise, I assume they mean there's too much untidy line art, intersections showing up where they shouldn't, etc.

there'saforum? on
  • WarribsWarribs Registered User regular
    I cannot wait for the rest of the gang's reaction to Lexxy's arrival. "What's going on bitches?!"

She came back from the dead, you cannot kill what doesn't die.

<3 Lexxy

adx2infinitumCambiata
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    @CWDEICI:
    All true, but reality shows that arbitrarily break their own rules have a reputation of sorts, one that PA would've like to avoid, I think.

Sending Lexxy back in will create turmoil and uncertainty, which might result in TV drama that the shittiest RTV shows regularly go for. I liked Strip Search precisely because they had avoided that, the show was about interesting creative people doing their own thing - not about forming cliques and nursing grievances and breeding paranoia and crying for the camera...

Has the show REALLY been about "interesting creative people doing their own thing"? Because I was under the impression that this show was about finding the best cartoonist. Obviously Mike and Jerry were both haunted by the possibility that Lexxy may have been that cartoonist.

As I said previously, this decision does most certainly undermine the game mechanics of the competition. However, I am not convinced that is a bad thing.

It seems like an emphasis is being deliberately placed on genuine talent and craft.

Also, I don't see how this one, somewhat jarring, adjustment will suddenly bring about all those negative attributes that you listed. I mean, some people may feel more paranoid knowing that if they don't perform they could be sent home, even if they are the better of the two in the elimination. But that is the only real effect that I could see this "twist" having; and I am not even convinced that would effect the show negatively.

Spman2099 on
    cwDeiciXeavnWraith260Cambiata
  • SolemnMindSolemnMind Registered User new member
    I really don't understand why people complain about bringing Lexy back. This shows that what really matters is TALENT, not politics and not popularity. Haven't you had enough of reality competition shows where talented people go home because someone else might be more personable or better looking? I'm also not sure why this would cause any uncertainty, in fact it makes things simpler, draw a good strip and your work won't be wasted.

cwDeiciWraith260Cambiata
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    Hmm I have to say that I wasn't super happy with how this episode turned out. I am very happy Lexxy is back because she was really really good. I just felt like keeping Lexxy could have been done in an easier way. It made me feel like it was done for added drama. Have both people selected be gone, so the person who picked them will feel bad, plus all of a sudden someone that was gone is back again.

The work they produced wasn't great but at least Nick made a comic and it got a chuckle out of me, plus he won 2 challenges. It seems a bit weird to just throw him out like that.

I hope that when push comes to shove they give him a second chance as well.

It's just weird, I am really happy Lexxy is back, I just don't think it should've been like this, I'm sure there could've been another way. And at least at the decision they should've made it clear from the first second that both were out. I can imagine that Nick went from "oh man I won" to "oh sh*t I lost as well".

AveryJJworld
  • GoldChaosGoldChaos Registered User regular
    So is this just going to turn into "Change the Rules until we Find a Way to Hire Lexxy" now?

GethDancingCaseyKoopahTroopahspillfishGaslightRaakamMaz-cgsguy2fraggyTheSpyder
  • XionorXionor Registered User new member
    What are the screens they draw on? Model/Make?

• Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    I don’t really know that much about Country Fairs I guess… You judge vegetables and things.

GoldChaos wrote: »
    So is this just going to turn into "Change the Rules until we Find a Way to Hire Lexxy" now?

Your conspiracy theory makes no sense... If they just wanted to hire Lexxy they wouldn't have eliminated her in the first place.

cwDeiciSandra SnanXeavnspillfishenderandrewRamiusCambiata
  • DancingCaseyDancingCasey Registered User regular
    @Sandra Snan

Look up the Oregon Country Fair, it will blow your mind.

• Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    As for “wild cards”, I think it’s much better to bring someone back the very next day than like after half the show has gone by. Because what usually happens is that everyone else bonds together and then they vote out the newly returned interloper. Though PA/SS doesn’t have voting, thankfully.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Or just "Ron" Registered User regular
    My next guess for elimination is Maki and Tavis double elimination. Then it can just be all the ladies!

Also, rules are for chumps apparently...

Kind of a downer. Feeling very meh about Strip Search at this point. If we keep pulling these frantic turns then it'll just be something else to zone out.

TheSpyderfraggy
  • kingschiebikingschiebi GermanyRegistered User regular
    I don't really understand the reasoning behind the decision in this episode. Regardless of the artists talent or popularity, ultimately only one can win and the elimination is inevitable anyway. Even if they kept both outright last time, that duel or a similar one would have happened after all at some point. So unless they are looking for the best two artists out of the bunch, I don't really see the point of that decision.
    The other possibility would be that Mac and Nick were deemed less entertaining for the overall show than Lexxy, but that seems to be contrary to what the show is supposed to be about.
    This episode now leaves me with the impressions that I am watching something different than what they set out to be in the beginning. That in itself is fine, but I can understand the mixed feelings coming from changing the rules that define the format midway without a bit of explanation.

Clearly this is already recorded, but it might be good to introduce such "random elements" early on in season 2 to avoid the confusion and set expectations right.

All of that said, if it was just meant as a surprise, it sure did work.

• BdonBdon Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    They both got hosed by the topics. It isn't that they were bad topics but that they fit together too well. Generic / old hat is kryptonite to comedy. It is hard to be original or surprising with two topics that fit that well and are so frequently done. Bad luck on the draw.

When watching him work I thought Mac was doing a full fart-powered ferris wheel and he was a lock because that is original and funny. It ended up being higher concept than that though. Still, people are over thinking it. A hot dog is made of pig. Pig makes man fart, man makes pig fart. It was amusing and the pig was adorable. Good enough (without a stronger topic or challenger).

Also, Mac got hosed by his stand-up. His in-house work has been a silhouette-heavy style. I don't know if the judges have seen that but to criticize him because you like his full art style better than his comic style seems unfair.

Still love Nick but the first panel seemed tacked on just to make it a comic instead of a picture. It didn't work as a setup panel properly. I really think he could have figured out a better lead in to his punch if the time wasn't so crazy short. I'd like to see them with a little more than 90 minutes. They need a half hour at least just to think and plan.

Bdon on
    duddlesSejarkiSpiritfire
  • PhoenixragePhoenixrage Registered User regular
    Those last ten minutes, "fair enough, makes sense." Then when THAT moment during their elimination challenge choice happenes, "woah, woah, woah, what?... Oh hey, one of my two predictions panned out." Good effort by both of them, shocking outcome.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I thought Nick's final panel was killer, but that it was bogged down by text. Great visual gag.

Mac's comic was great though, and I guess it was just too subtle for Mike and Jerry to get? Can these guys just not handle subtle?

ALso, I love her work, but I guess I don't like the implications of a returning contestant. This is going to be a crazy goddamned show...

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Sejarki
    @SPMAN2099:
    If it was only about finding the best cartoonist, they would've conducted it like any other business interview, probably off-camera. Instead, Strip Search is very deliberately framed as a reality TV show, and more specifically as a contest. If that is thrown out the window, and the artists get the impression that PA can do whatever the hell they like because "it's their show", I'd say it will all feel very different.

You go from "We're all here to see how good we are and how well we measure up to other people in the business" straight to "We're all here to entertain these two assholes who have probably already picked the winner anyway". Resentment ahoy.

DancingCaseySpiritfire
  • cwDeicicwDeici Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    there'saforum: I agree it's not the best way of doing things, but it's obviously not to create fake drama.

Also, I have to agree with the point others have made, this actually makes things simpler in the end:

Make a good comic and you might go back later if someone makes one that's worse than yours.

While it introduces some uncertainty about the rules it introduces certainty that one can't just send two good artists to the elimination and get rid of one of them. This is a complex way of reaching simplicity rather than a simple way of reaching complexity.

Perhaps they could've made them all go to the thunderdome (without packing their bags though, coz of all the fuss) every night minus the winner of the competitive challenge! It'd up the production cost somewhat and tire out the artists more, though (maybe add a day off).

cwDeici on
    Spman2099XeavnspillfishDiplominator
  • MCFoxGamerMCFoxGamer Registered User new member
    wow, really not sure how i feel about that. I guess i just don't understand how that was an option? Lexxy was/is my favorite artist on the show, but it just seems off...

Glad to see her back though.

• jjmitchelljjmitchell Registered User new member
    I actually love how this turned out. Maybe its just me but I'm not sure why there was an elimination last time. Keeping both SHOULD have been an option.

The regular reality rules suck anyway. Great series ... can't wait for more.

Spman2099Xeavn
  • RsykRsyk Registered User regular
    Well, that's troubling.
    It's all ready been mentioned multiple times, but bringing a formerly eliminated contestant back out of the blue like that changes the type of show this is. There is no game anymore, so it's not really a competition. Not to mention, this makes Mike's post about Lexxy's elimination seem really...dishonest. His reaction in the episode was genuine and that was nice to see, but the post after the fact when he already knew that he'd just take back the decision later? Hard to take seriously now.

kedinikTheSpyderAveryJJworld
  • SearchSearch Registered User new member
    Actually don't know what is going. No one might be getting put back in and could be something else. Just assuming that because of the double out and the way edited. Could be something different. Unlikely but still a possibility

• NikiPaprikaNikiPaprika Registered User new member
    edited April 2013
    I couldn't be happier with that ending!
    When Mike and Jerry turned around and shredded both of them, I actually got quite frustrated. I felt that how is it they can send both Mac and Nick away but they still had to send Lexxy? Why break the rules now when you didn't the previous elimination?
    But then it made me so incredibly excited to see Lexxy might be coming back in! I feel it is a VERY fair decision. If they can send two home, they can keep two artists.
    Especially when we saw how torn up they were about it (Mike even admitted to having a breakdown because of it) , I think it's definitely the right decision. She deserves to still be in the competition, she has the skills for it.

NikiPaprika on
    raptorsrevenge
    cwDeici wrote: »
    there'saforum: I agree it's not the best way of doing things, but it's obviously not to create fake drama.

Also, I have to agree with the point others have made, this actually makes things simpler in the end:

Make a good comic and you might go back later if someone makes one that's worse than yours.

While it introduces some uncertainty about the rules it introduces certainty that one can't just send two good artists to the elimination and get rid of one of them. This is a complex way of reaching simplicity rather than a simple way of reaching complexity.

I don't know if you are aware of what you wrote, but that is literally the most Taoist thing I have ever read on an internet forum.

cwDeiciNikiPaprikaspillfish
  • cwDeicicwDeici Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Thanks. :) I don't understand what taoism is about, but that sounds like a compliment.

I'm not suggesting this was the best way to do things though...
    A simple way of reaching simplicity for the elimination would be best of course. Perhaps they could've made them all go to the thunderdome (without packing their bags though, coz of all the fuss) every night minus the winner of the competitive challenge! It'd up the production cost somewhat and tire out the artists more, though (maybe add a day off).

cwDeici on
  • VirgilscigarVirgilscigar Writer of the Unwritten God's Green EarthRegistered User new member
    Sometimes you have to look at the forward implications that a show can have. Since Lexxy is coming back, that means all the previous contestants, Ty, Alex, and now Nick and Mack, are still in the city and within easy distance of contact....which means future use of them. I have feeling they'll pull something off the wall like having all the contestants that lost out be the final judges in the last round or have them do something to make it even more frustrating and difficult for the last round contestants. Either way, Jerry and Mike are doing a phenomenal job and I think the more they try to push the artists into their own corners, the more they grow together making it all that much harder to see each other go.

• jbraggjbragg Registered User regular
    I'm not Lexxy's biggest fan, but she certainly surprised me in her elimination contest. So in that, I can understand the guys wanting to bring her back. I think she surprised them as well. I guess my only question is, if both Nick and Mac deserve to go home, didn't both Katie and Ty deserve to go home as well?

"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." - Good Omens"
    kedinik
    @cwDeici: We'll see, but I'm afraid it's just a simple way of making everyone feel awkward and trying to game the system from now on. I'd be very surprised if anyone dared to even think about putting Lexxy up for elimination in the next few rounds...

• VerticalEventVerticalEvent Registered User regular
    Mac's strip did have some high level of concepts, but it was very poorly executed. It either needs to be redrawn (to put focus on the right things) or add an extra panel or two to make it flow better.

kedinik