Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #4

1181920212224»

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    CGG: Oh, I didn’t see many of the areola fan made ones. The one I did see was the one with a pun about aerial acts and areola, which I thought was fine. Certainly on par with typical old-school cartoon humor.
    Is there a place where people share or collect these fan responses to the challenge?

I sent a after elimination 1 asking about this, but no response yet. If people like, I could build a linkpage?

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • Moga2Moga2 Brisbane AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Thats it I'm out. If you do a double elimination and then reintroduce Lexi after she was eliminated I wont be watching any more. That is just fucked up.

RainicornTekko
  • RainicornRainicorn Registered User new member
    Wow just wow. Why not just end this whole thing early? May as well just put all the contestants in the same room, get them all to draw a comic and just let Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik choose whoever they like the most.

Don't even have elimination style battles because clearly they mean nothing The inconsistency and false hope of "winning" a competition that didn't exist in the first place is cruel and unfair.

On the flip side, it is possible that the contestants knew from the beginning the whole "comic strip battle where if you play your cards right and make it to the end, you win" is just for show.

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I think a lot of the nay-sayers here are forgetting something.

Running this show is a lot like being a Dungeon Master.

This analogy has been brought up roughly every fifth post for 20 pages. I promise you we have not forgotten it.

• The J-ManThe J-Man Registered User regular
    Well. That was bullshit. I'm done.

Gam Zeh Ya'avor
    dewordeMoga2Tekko
  • DeMorcerfDeMorcerf Registered User new member
    The thing I'm having the most trouble understanding from this episode is: Who opens their hotel room door when the peephole is being covered?!

zerzhuldewordespillfish
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    Someone who has Alex and Ty down the hall probably wanting to hang out since they can't spend any time with their non-competition friends while under their NDA?

• Crowley47Crowley47 Registered User new member
    My biggest problem is how much Mike and Jerry talk about how much they're going to find Lexy a job when they eliminate her, and then actively break the rules of their own game to keep her in the running.

I was really starting to get into this series even though I'm not an artist and not interested in reality shows. I'm not sure I even want to keep watching. If you want to hire Lexy then do it; if you want to have a reality show then do it. Being half-assed about both just cheapens both.

Moga2
  • KuzmaKuzma Registered User new member
    I feel that was a bit cheap. Seems like you guys were just looking for a way to bring her back. Surprised you didn't just storm into the house and kick Abby out.

Honestly why bother putting the other artists through having to select who goes up for elimination if you are going to just veto both and bring back someone else?

Moga2
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    A few things:
    1. If they wanted to just give someone space in their office arbitrarily, they could. They did it for Levin Sadsad.
    2. If they wanted to give someone space in their office and then hire that person, they could. After Levin had been working there for a while, he got hired officially.
    3. They're not actually hiring the person who wins Strip Search. They're giving them money, office space, and offering them advice and possibly design and marketing resources.

So yes, if they just wanted to hire Lexxy, they could easily do it, and wouldn't have to go to crazy lengths to do a thing on the show. Which leads me to believe they brought her back because they believed her comic warranted another shot at the show. Not a guaranteed win, but another shot.

Also, there are other possible interpretations of the conversation in the car. When I was looking for work a few years ago, there was often that "You came close, but we had 75 applications and one spot, and you were number two" moment after the interviews were over. One recruiter brought me in to interview twice for the same company. The first time, it was the "second place" phenomenon. The second time, I was the lead candidate... we were actually doing paperwork when the project got cancelled and the job vanished. After that, the recruiter said "we'll find you a job here someday." A few weeks later, I saw a new position open up and I contacted her. I never heard back. I work somewhere different now.

"We'll find you a job someday" is what people who want to maintain a working relationship with you say when they aren't hiring you. It does not mean they will find you a job someday. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Often, it means "we realize you're basically qualified for this job, and you didn't do anything wrong during the interview, but the other guy has all the same skills and three years more experience."

So please, young people out there, do not go out into the world thinking "Oh honey, we'll find you a job someday" means "I am definitely going to do everything in my power to hire you." Because if you're hearing that, it's a pretty clear sign that you are not the top choice.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    Inkstain82fightinfilipinoSassoriCambiataAzaminodewordeWeedLordVegetaSpman2099
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    The J-Man wrote: »

You're the one missing out.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    CortenPlus
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular

When looking for sources of flatulence at a country fair, bullshit is always going to be a factor.

I didn't see much of it in the episode though.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    OckhamsFollydewordeCortenPlus
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    A few things:
    1. If they wanted to just give someone space in their office arbitrarily, they could. They did it for Levin Sadsad.
    2. If they wanted to give someone space in their office and then hire that person, they could. After Levin had been working there for a while, he got hired officially.
    3. They're not actually hiring the person who wins Strip Search. They're giving them money, office space, and offering them advice and possibly design and marketing resources.

So yes, if they just wanted to hire Lexxy, they could easily do it, and wouldn't have to go to crazy lengths to do a thing on the show. Which leads me to believe they brought her back because they believed her comic warranted another shot at the show. Not a guaranteed win, but another shot.

Also, there are other possible interpretations of the conversation in the car. When I was looking for work a few years ago, there was often that "You came close, but we had 75 applications and one spot, and you were number two" moment after the interviews were over. One recruiter brought me in to interview twice for the same company. The first time, it was the "second place" phenomenon. The second time, I was the lead candidate... we were actually doing paperwork when the project got cancelled and the job vanished. After that, the recruiter said "we'll find you a job here someday." A few weeks later, I saw a new position open up and I contacted her. I never heard back. I work somewhere different now.

"We'll find you a job someday" is what people who want to maintain a working relationship with you say when they aren't hiring you. It does not mean they will find you a job someday. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Often, it means "we realize you're basically qualified for this job, and you didn't do anything wrong during the interview, but the other guy has all the same skills and three years more experience."

So please, young people out there, do not go out into the world thinking "Oh honey, we'll find you a job someday" means "I am definitely going to do everything in my power to hire you." Because if you're hearing that, it's a pretty clear sign that you are not the top choice.

Agreed. Even if you do happen to be someone's top choice it still doesn't mean you're guaranteed a spot. There are usually several different rounds of people that get to have their say on things like this and someone might have their own top candidate they made the same promises to.

It's a nice thing to hear. It can even be an honest thing someone said.

But it is not the same thing as a job contract.

deworde
  • Tigerpanda13Tigerpanda13 Registered User regular
    Mike, Jerry, I don't know if you'll read this, but if you do, know that I agree with you 100%. (Well, not 100%, because I honestly don't think Abby's tangents are that bad.) Nick and Mac have so much potential, but neither of them brought their A game that night, and for that, they did deserve to go home. It wasn't favoritism. I saw how you loathed to let either of those boys go. However, put in the same room, Lexxy would have handed them their own asses; no, not just handed, force-fed.
    Also, it's your freaking show! Not the viewers', not the contestants'. You get the final say.

dewordeCortenPlus
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »

Well I think that's his subjective judgment to make.

bowen wrote: »
    The bacteria in your poop exist everywhere.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    DVG wrote: »

Well I think that's his subjective judgment to make.

I have to agree with J-Man, actually. I was watching this intently, but the last episode, coupled with other decisions, made it so I don't want to watch anymore. They need to decide if they're going to be about quality or about drama, rather than half-assing both.
    I have no problem with eliminating both or bringing Lexxy back if that's what they felt was best for quality, but so many other pieces of the show so far have been clearly designed to incite drama (making winners choose losers, early competitions being more about tricks than weeding out the weaker cartoonists early) that it feels more like a cheap shot than a reasoned decision.

Moga2
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Oops. Wrong episode. Delete, please.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    There's more drama in this thread than there is on the show.

walrus.png
    Cultural Geek GirlfightinfilipinodewordeFalxDVGWeedLordVegeta
  • The J-ManThe J-Man Registered User regular
    To expound on my previous comment, since I've been quoted a couple times:
    I don't watch reality TV. It simply holds no entertainment value for me. The premise is that you're watching a slice-of-life of real people thrown into an interesting scenario, but it is par for the course to be handed a scripted drama fest, filled with people acting in ways that normal humans never would, and edited to create a narrative that doesn't exist. No thanks.
    This show hooked me because it felt like REAL reality TV. It seemed like they had found a way to give the show an interesting narrative, and a realistic amount of drama (win and pick the two who go up for elimination? Genius) without lie-editing or scripting.
    This episode broke that for me. It feels like they either: 1 - broke the rules of the contest they set up (remember, this is a game, not just a recorded interview process) thereby rendering everything that happens useless, or 2 - have more going on behind the scenes than the cameras are showing, leading this to fall closer to a "scripted" story line than "reality" anything.
    That, for me, removes the entertainment value.

Gam Zeh Ya'avor
    Moga2Inkstain82
  • BugsinspaceBugsinspace Registered User regular
    OMG - THIS SHOW! Kicking both of them out cos they weren't with happy either, bringing Lexxy back (god I hope that's what is actually happening) after agonising over that so hard... agonising over it that hard! Even "ready set art" =P And Jerry, offering Nick his info <3 GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW

• SupBroBroSupBroBro Registered User regular
    My brother and I took a crack at the challenge (We did not play by the rules).
    http://www.superbrophybrothers.com/2013/04/strip-search-cheat-at-home-challenge-4.html

• SupBroBroSupBroBro Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Delete this post, please.

SupBroBro on
  • MicroMagicMicroMagic Registered User regular
    Just rewatcing this episode, best episode ever! It's difficult to critique. They were both pretty poorly drawn. Mac's looks like a hastily done sketch and Nick's looks amatuer. After Nick put Katie up for elimination the second time in a row, I find this just comeuppance. Mac is ok, he just seems spaced out all the time. So I'm glad to see Lexxy win this one.

Lexxy has been my favourite since the interview shows years ago. So it's awesome to see her get more of a chance! Besides, she's straight up better than Nick and Mac. Nick and Mac can suck Lexxy's massive and confident balls.