As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Small sized car recommendations... (2002-2010 models)

carl_rogerscarl_rogers Registered User regular
Hi people. I'm looking at buying a car for my folks. Im thinking a small sized car. I would like some direction on what sort of cars to look at.
At the moment, i'm looking at the Toyota Corolla ZZE122R Ascents, Nissan Pulsars and Ford Fiestas. I've looked at Mazda 3's (i own one) but they are too far out my price range in my country. My budget is probably no more than 10k (Australian - we're ripped off here)

So, long story short, I'm really just after some suggestions on good, reliable, small sized cars. Cheers

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I've got a Toyota Yaris and it's been perfectly good so far. They're extremely cheap to boot.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Yarises and Fits are good.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    This is a USA list, dunno which are available there.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/small-cars-1/

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I have a Honda Fit - known as a Jazz in some markets, and it's awesome. Small car, good fuel economy, can fit a five foot long table in the back with the seats down.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Ford Fiesta is fantastic.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Only reason I didn't mention that is he's asking 2003-2010. New Fiestas started in 2011 and are still pretty pricey.

Great cars though.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Quid wrote: »
    Only reason I didn't mention that is he's asking 2003-2010. New Fiestas started in 2011 and are still pretty pricey.

Great cars though.

It's only new to the US. The Mk6 (the model before the current one) was sold in Australia and it was released sometime 2000-ish.

FWIW here (UK) fiestas of that vintage tend to be pretty cheap because, though they were considerably better built than the predecessor models, they haven't quite shaken off the reputation for falling apart as they get older.

Don't know what the market's like there but here you'd get a better deal on a fiesta than anything Japanese even though the cars are of comparable quality.

japan on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'll echo the Fit is a nice little car.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Fiiiit! I drive 40 km every single day and a full tank lasts 2 whole weeks!

• Options
    FleagleFleagle Registered User regular
    I really like my Nissan Versa. It gets really good mileage, but there have been a few (minor I believe) recalls in the past. It was also very affordable at the time, a few grand cheaper than the Fit. However, I also drove the Fit and had there not been a 4-5 month waiting period to be able to buy one, I would have gone with the Fit over the Versa.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The best value you're going to get with those age, size, and budget requirements is a Corolla. Granted, they're not as much fun as a Mazda 3 or as nice as a Golf, but you gotta go with what is going to give the least trouble and be the cheapest to run.

So yep, most likely a Corolla. Look for low mileage and a complete service history. If it has aftermarket 'performance' parts fitted or a huge stereo, avoid it like the plague. If you can get one that was owned by an older driver that hasn't been crashed, you're golden.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    I have a Honda Fit - known as a Jazz in some markets, and it's awesome. Small car, good fuel economy, can fit a five foot long table in the back with the seats down.

This is always my first suggestion when someone asks about small cars.

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    Fit is a pretty solid choice. I would also recommend the Chevy Cobalt. Solid car, great price normally, and they tend to hold up pretty well.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The Nissan Versa and Chevy Cobalt aren't sold in Australia.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Glad to see the Fit love, I've been nothing but happy with it.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    If there is a Mazda 2 to be found I'd look for that. Mazda are doing some real clever stuff to save weight and that makes for fun cars with low cost and without sacrifices to quality.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

My only complaint is that the cup holders feel awkward to me.

Like, really, that's it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    I have a Fit myself, and just like everyone here, absolutely love it. I chose the Fit over the Yaris and Versa after test driving all 3.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I drive a chevy cruze and I'm happy, something similar would work well for you, although aussie location does make it a problem for you.

• Options
    Nah they're sold here as a Holden Cruze. The most recent model was actually designed and developed here. The previous model (which might actually be in the OPs price range) is a shitty old Daewoo, though.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Nevermind, I was wrong.

Artereis on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

My only complaint is that the cup holders feel awkward to me.

Like, really, that's it.

On the other hand, you've got like 3 of them per person.