As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Reviews- who do you trust?

13»

• Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cdneger wrote: »

EDIT: Except for God Hand, I mean, PLEASE!

Well considering your wrong about God Hand, it's a great game

but meh, I read reviews on IGN, Gamespot but I trust forums, especially gamerswithjobs and Digital Press,

Otherwise I also look at etoychest sometimes.

Lothars on
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I mainly use Amazon.com's reviews, how can you go wrong with this:

"Reviewer: CARLOS ZAPATA "CharlieZ" (El Salvador,CA) - See all my reviews

Certainly my son love this game, he waiting for almost a year to play with it, and now he is completly happy with the game."

WOW, I am sold on this legend of zelda game now.

But in all seriousness I look at Nintendo Power, most of you think they are biased, but they really aren't afraid to give a bad score, even to Nintendo franchises. I mainly get it for the previews of upcoming stuff.

Game Informer is freeish, so I look at that each month. I don't look at the revies as much as just read the descpritions of games to see if they are up my alley or not.

I also check out IGN as well, also for the descriptions of games, I really don't pay too much attention to the 9 out of 10's and the like, I have loved some panned games, and hated others that received high scores.

For my Virtual Console games for Wii I look here to see what the general concesus is for these older games.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    breakzbreakz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Word of mouth, gameplay videos. I agree with the guy that said G&T is too hardcore.

For me, FFIII is bleh, Phoenix Wright is fun but a bit tedious...and I didn't even finish Contact. Traded that bitch for NSMB within a few days.

I'm more mainstream than the forum (GRAW, GoW, Madden, DMC), but you guys sold me on a Cube and the goodnesss that came with it.

breakz on
    thechompman.gif
    Now Playing - GRAW, FFIII DS, Ninja Gaiden Black, Phoenix Wright
  • Options
    cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lothars wrote: »
    cdneger wrote: »

EDIT: Except for God Hand, I mean, PLEASE!

Well considering your wrong about God Hand, it's a great game

but meh, I read reviews on IGN, Gamespot but I trust forums, especially gamerswithjobs and Digital Press,

Otherwise I also look at etoychest sometimes.

You wanna fight?

;)

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    G&T tends to turn me on to titles that would have otherwise slipped under my radar, like God Hand and Shadow of the Colossus. In terms of "reviews", threads here tend to have a lot of point-counterpoint going on and I find that pretty helpful.

I think Game Informer does the best job of print mags, and etoychest (now snackbar) is where I go for online reviews. I especially like their review of PD0. I have no idea why that game never took off; I found multiplayer to be at least as fun as Halo 2, and the co-op play was way more entertaining. But I digress.

I don't even bother with IGN, Gamespy, or Gamespot anymore unless I'm hunting for screenshots.

zilo on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, forgot Video Gaiden.
    They only do a couple of reviews a show, but they're pretty fmaling good reviews.
    Turned me onto my beloved Pathologic, for one.

Xagarath on