As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Which RPG in development are you most excited about?

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I'm looking forwards to Cyberpunk 2020, Dragon Age 3, and Project Eternity.

• VinterVinter Registered User regular
    There are alot of RPGs im looking forward to this year. Mostly all the ones that have gotten a lift from Kickstarter.

Shadow Run is probably my most anticipated, but Wasterland 2 and Project Eternity are right behind it. I never got a chance to play Torment, but Tides of Numenera looks really cool.

But for me Shadow Run just looked like exactly what i want to play right now, a good solid cyberpunk RPG sounds amazing.

The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Xbox GT: Master Vinter Steam: Vinter PSN: VinterM 3DS: 4699-5853-7381
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Nethack.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    Zenfar
  • ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    DA:O was my favourite RPG for a long time when it came out, but I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that DA3 won't be a massive pile of popamole Dynasty Warriors combat infested crud.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Zenfar wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    For me it is Torment: Tides of Numenera for the pre-rendered style, the team, and the Science-Fantasy setting. This one is a dream game for me, I think it will be even better than the original which is a tall order.

Don't go excpecting it.

By all love of InXile, their current model is having shitloads of (quite different) writers and most (nearly all) of them being external. Hell, even Colin is an external contributor.
    So, be aware what you're gonna get could be quite uneven in quality. Thankfully they got Kevin Saunders as Project Director and he's really awesome at it.

Luckily the setting (Numenera) helps with the different writing styles as there are been many civilizations that have risen and fallen. Also the enclaves of humanity that are scattered and bit of technology left behind by them are not necessarily, consistent either. We shall see, Project Eternity certainly looks like a winner as well, I slacker backed it, so I hope it is great.

Of course, it's a *Do everything* setting (Not that that is a bad thing). That's not what I meant though, emphasis on quality. There's really a lot of writers. And the main path should still be thematically consistent after all.

Also, the setting doesn't really prevent the downfalls that come when half your team (and Leads) are external contributors. Especially regarding the implentation process and the resulting difference to the original vision.

Not saying you shouldn't be excited (you totally should), just be aware of that so you don't get disappointed.

C2B on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    No one has mentioned Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4 - is nobody excited for those?

I honestly didn't realize that ME4 was announced.

ElvenshaeLoveIsUnity
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to Dead State. Maybe it'll even get released one day.

Cyberpunk is exciting too, and would probably be my top but there still is so little known about the actual game. I don't think it'll be bad, but it's just hard for me to get super excited with what's public so far.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
    SMT IV
    Mario and Luigi
    Dragon Quest 7/10
    Rune Factory 4
    Denpa Men 2
    Wasteland
    Pokémon X/Y
    FF X HD, KH 1.5

I'm actually sort of surprised how few of the kickstarter'd WRPGs excited me and I've just never clicked with the Witcher, but Wasteland is my jam.

and despite my better judgment, FF XIII Versus.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Zenfar
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I was really looking forward to the Southpark RPG.
    Guess that'll show me, huh?

ElvenshaeKias
    see317 wrote: »

? It's still coming. Apparently the Ubisoft transition was smooth. Ubi just hasn't given new information to the public yet.

Of course, if your problem is Ubisoft itself, well that is another matter.

TychoCelchuuu
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    No one has mentioned Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4 - is nobody excited for those?

I honestly didn't realize that ME4 was announced.

It wasn't? I mean, they've out and out said they are making more ME games, just not with Shepard, but have not given any announcements about a specific game or anything.

And FO4 is, off the top of my head anyway, what I'm looking forward to most. Oh, and whatever the Xenoblade-type game that is in development for the WiiU is.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

I'm REALLY excited for DA3. I'm a rare beast that though DA2 was flawed but great and adored 1. Can't wait to see how they process the feedback from 1&2.

Yeah, all of this. I'm incredibly excited for Dragon Age 3 and to see the best parts of the previous games combined.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    ? It's still coming. Apparently the Ubisoft transition was smooth. Ubi just hasn't given new information to the public yet.
    Of course, if your problem is Ubisoft itself, well that is another matter.
    Guess I hadn't heard that. I was under the impression that it was one of the IPs that didn't get picked up from THQs sale.
    I should probably spend less time working and more time reading video game news. Now, how to convince my boss of that...

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Themadcow wrote: »
    DA:O was my favourite RPG for a long time when it came out, but I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that DA3 won't be a massive pile of popamole Dynasty Warriors combat infested crud.

Don't tease me. If DA3 was a BioWare influenced Dynasty Warriors clone I might die of happiness. For some reason the DW series is nothing but unmitigated joy for me.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    urahonkyElvenshaeWotanAnubisKiasCowShark
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Even though it's no longer in development, I can't help but still be excited for Fire Emblem: Awakening. Just four more days and it'll be mine with any luck.

I'm not certain Divinity: Dragon Commander counts as an RPG, considering it's a blend of genres.

I'm also failing at not being excited for Soul Hackers and Shin Megami Tensei IV, even though I live in Europe.

Shadowrun Returns looks like it could be interesting.

Finally, I backed Project Eternity so I'm keeping my eye on that one as well.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Fallout 4 will move to the top of my list as soon as it's announced in the next few months.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Fallout 4
    X (this might be my favourite because I loved Xenoblade)
    Pokemon X Y

And I'm interested in Bravely Default although I know next to nothing about it. It seems to be well received in various circles.

Rotam wrote: »
    X (this might be my favourite because I loved Xenoblade)

Oh, heck. I list Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem and I completely forget to mention Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem? I am ashamed.

Sure, we have, like, zero information, apart from a brief teaser and that it's apparently going to be some kind of RPG, but... but it's SMT and FE combined. I cannot help but be excited.

Speaking of Realms of Arkania and promising rpgs. Guido Henkel's new "Deathfire" rpg sounds a lot better than his disastrous Thorvalla kickstarter campaign.

http://guidohenkel.com/2013/04/deathfire’s-character-generation-the-stats-at-the-heart-of-the-game/

Deathfire_chargen2.jpg

Speaking of Realms of Arkania and promising rpgs. Guido Henkel's new "Deathfire" rpg sounds a lot better than his disastrous Thorvalla kickstarter campaign.

This guy seriously needs to find someone to name his games for him.

TychoCelchuuuurahonkyElvenshae
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Divinity Original Sin!
    I'm also really looking forward to Fire Emblem: Awakening. We've been waiting a long time for it, over here in Europe.

I'm also curious what the new Dragon Age will bring. But i'm propably more excited for Project Eternity!

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • ZenfarZenfar Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Holy shit it just occurred to me how amazing Fallout 1&2 would be on iPad.

Would be amazing, movement points and all.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Definitely looking forward to Dark Souls 2. I only gained an appreciation for the first one after watching a full play-through, but with this one I'll go in blind. Higher accessibility sounds good to me too.

My dream game though would be an MMO with Steam Workshop integration for user-created equipment, now that I have some remedial modelling and texturing ability. That would be amazing.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Tough choice, but if I had to pick just one it'd have to be Xenoblade 2.

Other top contenders:
    Dragon Age 3
    Mario & Luigi Dream Team
    Pokemon X&Y

And I guess Fire Emblem Awakening, but it's not actually in development anymore and out in 3 days, so..yeah.

Normally I'd say Mass Effect 4, but we know basically nothing about the game yet, it might not even be an RPG.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    I can't seem to get excited about Dragon Age anymore, a beautiful series but just a little too far from classic CRPG at this point for me, but then I am old.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The only RPG universe I'm really invested in is the Mass Effect-verse. I'm slavering at the thought of them making a jump like Halo 3: ODST Firefight -> Halo Reach Firefight with their multiplayer.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    Huh, never played the Divinity games and that Dragon Commander actually looks really cool. Reminds me a bit of how Sacrifice (still an amazing game) let you combine the RTS and the ability to go in and personally wreck face with your army. Haven't played a game that has scratched that itch yet. Glad someone mentioned it.

As far as excitement, sure Age of Decadence, but I still file that under the, "believe it when I see it" genre. That game has been under development forever. Will be day one buy when it ever comes out, but I stopped bothering to keep track of it.

Wasteland 2 is a no brainer and should be delicious. Same with Tides of Numeria, but that is so far off I am trying not to think about it.

Really, really hope Dead State turns out solid. That's probably my biggest "wish" right now, as X-Com(ish) style interface with a zombie apocalypse simulator is just about the best game I could ever hope for. I backed the kick starter, which gives me some confidence, but its really a wild card as to what the final product is going to be.

steam_sig.png

• EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    This thread just made my day. Mario and Luigi SS is still my favorite game to date, and I had no idea that Dream Team was a thing that exists and even has some gameplay footage available. Looks great so far! My most anticipated for sure (starting today).

Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    My excitement for a game is relative to two points, one how much I like the franchise and the information that has released regarding the upcoming sequel, and two the actual release date.

so far its pretty much just wasteland 2.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I forgot one: Final Fantasy X HD.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    Another vote for Dark Souls 2.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Dark Souls 2.

The only rpg I know will be better than great.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Antinumeric
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Of the kickstarted ones, the new Torment is the one I'm most looking forward to, with Eternity, Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2 tied for second.

But the one I'm actually most pumped for is the Witcher 3. If they actually pull that game off it could be extraordinary. If you look at the jump in quality from TW1 to TW2, and they continue that, the third could blow the doors off.

Looking forward to Dark Souls 2 as well, if you consider that an RPG.

Yougottawanna on
    Kias
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Of the kickstarted ones, the new Torment is the one I'm most looking forward to, with Eternity and Wasteland 2 tied for second.

But the one I'm actually most pumped for is the Witcher 3. If they actually pull that game off it could be extraordinary. If you look at the jump in quality from TW1 to TW2, and they continue that, the third could blow the doors off.

Looking forward to Dark Souls 2 as well, if you consider that an RPG.

I know the definition of 'RPG' is a highly debated topic, but come on. Dark Souls 2 is like, the cliche example of everything the common gamer associates with RPGs. Loot, leveling, stats, dialogue boxes, quests, inventory management, exploration, etc in a medieval fantasy setting with freaking dragons, dwarves, giants and animated skeletons that try and hit your chainmail clad adventurer with swords as he/she tries to save the world through violence, jumping puzzles and the gratuitous application of alchemical concoctions.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    eelektrikLorahalo
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    What are we considering an RPG? If we are looser with the definition, it's probably Destiny.

Other than that, DA3 and Witcher 3.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    What are we considering an RPG? If we are looser with the definition, it's probably Destiny.

Other than that, DA3 and Witcher 3.

Ok I think I am getting talking into Witcher 3, from what you guys say it could be a best of mash-up of 1 and 2 which would be awesome. Also will keep an eye on Shadowrun, should be good for at least a mini-mart combat scene and a meeting with Mr. Johnson. Still Torment is the number one for me.

Docken
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Shadowrun, Shadowgate(if that counts), Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Year of the S, really.

Dark Souls II goes without saying. Cyberpunk depends on if i can even run it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Zenfar
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Shadowgate do you mean the old Mac game?

Shadowgate

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Shadowgate do you mean the old Mac game?

Shadowgate

Uh... no.
    www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/shadowgate/
    The new one.

wVEsyIc.png
    The new version of the old Mac game, amazing, so that seems like enough RPGs to last a few years for sure, love this old school Renaissance in computer RPGs.