Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Game On

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Game On

After an intense and surprising elimination the Artists get to unwind a little and get their hands dirty.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Katie's sculptures were great, especially the pug.
    A lot of early talking in this episode, which shouldn't be a shock. I hope Amy gets out of "meta-game mode". Her interviews are still like watching a Gene Simmons interview though...

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    HappyaxduddlesenderandrewTeeSeaJayemarecksaykay
  • nioznioz Registered User regular
    Cool to see all of Amy's 'scheming' build up to her letting down her guard in this episode. Yes, be yourself...!

Sandra SnanHappyaxaheeremaTeeSeaJayemarecksaykay
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Katie with a redraw ticket? GG.

Sejarki on
    xThanatoSxSodiumFreeSandra SnanHappyaxniozKoopahTroopahspillfishaheeremaGamercowTeeSeaJayTheSpyderemarecksaykay
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    Amy turned from the dark side!

Erika is clairvoyant!

And yeah, Katie's no pushover. Girl can art!

I liked seeing more of the personal discussion in this episode. Of course, I'm sure there is more show-meaningful interaction going on as the numbers get smaller and the big monkey wrench of resurrection has been thrown into the mix.

Sandra SnanHappyaxaheeremaenderandrewTeeSeaJayemarecksaykay
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    Watching Amy decide/realize she doesn't really want to play the meta-game was... interesting. Moreso for the admission of half-assing the last couple of challenges to fly under the radar. Be interesting to see how the "new Amy" plays out over the next few episodes.

Seeing everyone's face when Lexxy walked in was awesome, especially given the comment Erika had just made about Alex coming back instead of Nick or Mac.
    Sejarki wrote: »
    Katie with a redraw ticket? GG.

Quoted for truth. Katie just keeps impressing more and more.

Sandra SnanDark Raven Xemarecksaykay
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Tavis brought it up the best to Amy. The folks in this competition will end up being each others' peers and colleagues. Why isolate one's self from the others just for the sake of a game?

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    Sandra SnanKoopahTroopahaheeremaTeeSeaJayeaglfraggyemarecksaykay
  • EireJackEireJack Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Big episode for AmErika shippers

EireJack on
    Sandra SnanspillfishAnialosAurichaheeremaTeeSeaJaySomeursaultfraggyemarecksaykay
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Everyone else: /SERIOUS TALKING
    Monica: /FLIP FLOP FLIP
    Also, Azorius arm tattoo? Adorbs.

And then Erika + Amy bromance? Augh Strip Search, my heart!

Then a nice cute little challenge, and next episode's teaser is al my girl Abby freaking out.

Strip Search: Why you make me have so many feels?

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    MichyGearySandra Snanartifexcrastinusthere'saforum?spillfishpiersnicaendikufraggy
  • RaphDSRaphDS Registered User regular
    I adored how Lexxy referenced 'Peanuts' and 'Journey'! But dang, that Derpy Pug alone could've won Katie the redraw ticket.

Sandra SnanenderandrewAzamino
  • shupfaceshupface Registered User new member
    This competition has a bunch of awesome ladies (and dudes with awesome beards).

I have been a Katie-fan from the get go (with a side of Monica), but I'm really loving the sass that Abby brings (Makes me even more excited to see the inevitable show-down between Abby and Mike).

Also super pleased to see Amy embracing the experience! And then the Erika-Amy love-fest was sooo cute.

Good job Katie!

MichyGearyhazardousindexSandra Snanspillfishemarecksaykay
  • Aaron_OAaron_O Registered User regular
    I think graham is getting better at this

spillfishmageormikeemarecksaykaymentok1982
  • Candy SmugglerCandy Smuggler Registered User new member
    The first half was painful to watch, the creators finally got their drama. Satisfyingly we went back to good ol'Strip Search with the clay contest. Go Katie!

there'saforum?duddles
  • elheberelheber Registered User regular
    My expectations for Katie were so high that I was already hovering my mouse over the pause button. It didn't disappoint: "Butthead" had me in stitches. Then when I realized the top hat sat atop one cheek, it practically had me on the floor.

DexOZzerzhulfullofgraceendikuemarecksaykay
  • wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    The first half was something that was needed to be shown, a little more of the social aspects of the house, well done.
    Nice to see Lexxy come back and I only wish Maki had more votes, even that Katie was damn good.

Sandra Snan
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Jesus, Amy is tearing herself up with the game elements. Christ, she is absolutely tangled up in this competition. At first I thought it was some form of predatory manifestation of her personality; now I think it is closer to a defense mechanism.

If she doesn't win, and I think she has shown herself to be strong enough to clearly be a top tier contender, I hope some very good things come her way due to this competition. She clearly is tremendously invested.

Spman2099 on
    MichyGearySandra Snanthere'saforum?spillfishXeavnendikufraggyemarecksaykay
  • SluggerJohnSluggerJohn Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Fun episode. Katie is for real. She's got serious talent up and down.

Amy bent herself into a pretzel. There's no time to worry about others and things you can't control. All you can do is be yourself, always.

SluggerJohn on
    Sandra Snanemarecksaykaythegreenmonkey
  • PhoenixragePhoenixrage Registered User regular
    Begun, the final eight wars has.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Thoughts:

1. For the second challenge, I was yelling, "Someone make the duck boat!" at my screen, and someone make a duck boat. Thank you.

2. Maki, you suck. You have officially ruined pineapples (even if it is in a good way).

3. See 1, but replace "duck boat" with "hot dog." #stripsearch delivers!

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • hazardousindexhazardousindex Registered User regular
    Best. Show. Ever.

MichyGearyendikuCambiataPavio
  • cbricharcbrichar Registered User regular
    Question for the production team - Assuming Monica's rate of pant-shitting continues at its current clip, was space made available in the production budget for some form of pant-replacement service?

EireJackSandra SnanspillfishXeavneaglCambiataemarecksaykay
  • MichyGearyMichyGeary Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm so proud of Amy. She was really struggling with everything and taking everything so hard because this opportunity just means so much to her. I could see how every iteration of the game was really breaking her spirit. It's not an easy position to be in--this challenge at all, I mean--and everyone was coping with it in different ways. For some contestants it was self-deprecating humor (like Abby). For some it was a bit of self aggrandizing to build up their own spirits and convince themselves that they were worthy. And for some, it just to concede a bit of defeat and try not to take anything too seriously in spite of themselves. But Amy seemed to take all the pressures the hardest, and she really didn't know how to handle it, so she tried a lot of things. And it breaks my heart to see her go through that. I hope, with this, she has gotten to a point where she can relax and have fun because she is devastatingly talented and she deserves every last one of the things.

And the fact that she and Erika both would sacrifice the prize for each other--shit, man, if that ain't the warmest fucking shit you've ever seen, you're dead inside.

MichyGeary on
    Sandra SnanEl_Funkothere'saforum?Dirt410spillfishparmeisanendikuCambiatafraggyemarecksaykay
    @CBRICHAR , Everyone is issued bionic trousers

cbricharXeavnJayeEmmJurg
    edited April 2013
    If you read Amy's personal Comic/blog, you really get a sense of someone who is prone to self reflection and has been through some hard decisions in her life. I respect ehr after reading her outside stuff as I've been through similar. Speaking of respect after reading outside stuff, Junior Scientist Power Hour is AMAZING. Mike's going to be pleasantly surprised when he meets Abby I think.

Also since it's girls can we call AmErika a bromance? Maybe it should be called a Shelationship

EireJack on
    MichyGearyspillfishtheResetButtonfraggy
  • atk824atk824 Registered User new member
    They scored the challenge wrong! They never gave Katie the point for the derpy Pug. Still thrilled with the result though :D

Sandra Snan
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    As much grief as I have given Amy for being so cut-throat, the format the sculpt voting was in would’ve made it very hard for me to vote objectively, without counting things like “don’t vote for a rival with many points”. Big kudos to Maki for being last in line and not thinking that way at all.

OldSchoolChickenlympiendikufraggyemarecksaykay
  • DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    Yep Katie's Butthead was hilarious, and the amount of detail she could put out in four minutes is awesome, well deserved win.

clambake ... lol

emarecksaykaymentok1982
  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    @MichyGeary

I think a lot of the pressure was of her own doing, though. Nevertheless seing her in those first 10 minutes was rough, she looked absolutely beaten and tired. I hope she gets out of "Game" mode and opens up a little more.

Also, Go Katie. Up until Tavis mentioning it i thought the redraw ticket is for redrawing a challenge assignment and i had not thought about redrawing from the basket, which makes kinda more sense, even though it would benefit both artists that go for elimination...

emarecksaykay
  • HappyaxHappyax Registered User regular
    Really happy Katie won. Also Amy just moved from mostly negative to slightly positive in my book. If she keeps on the path she set for herself, then she is gonna be full blown positive.

Sandra Snanemarecksaykay
  • OldSchoolChickenOldSchoolChicken Registered User regular
    Now, at least I have reason to like Amy in this show!

MichyGearySandra Snanthere'saforum?fraggy
  • MichyGearyMichyGeary Registered User regular
    kolybry wrote: »
    I think a lot of the pressure was of her own doing, though. Nevertheless seing her in those first 10 minutes was rough, she looked absolutely beaten and tired. I hope she gets out of "Game" mode and opens up a little more.

That's exactly why it was so hard to watch, because she was putting all that pressure on herself. But you have to admit that a good majority of it is coming from a genuine place of the strenuous circumstances of a competition like this. Amy was the guinea pig for having to put her (new) friends and potential future colleagues up for elimination. That was a huge sucker punch. Anyone who won a challenge after her at least had a heads up that this comes with winning, but she didn't. She went from a big high to a big, big low in a whiplash.

That probably set her apart from the other artists in the house right off the bat, and she probably felt alienated from everyone because of it. That sort of thing becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because you constantly worry about what everyone else thinks of you and whether or not they resent you for winning, for choosing who you chose, and it messes with your head. Plus she had to perform in the remaining challenges on top of all that stress. What a nightmare. I'm surprised she was able to hold her head up as high and as long as she did. I would have been a sobbing mess in a tub of Nutella on the first damn night. Shit, I just want to give her a hug and tell her that she's awesome.

Sandra SnanDirt410Grothnireaglfraggyemarecksaykay
  • El_FunkoEl_Funko Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    kolybry wrote: »
    Up until Tavis mentioning it i thought the redraw ticket is for redrawing a challenge assignment and i had not thought about redrawing from the basket, which makes kinda more sense, even though it would benefit both artists that go for elimination...

Yeah, that was a little odd. I assumed the Redraw tickets could be cashed in to escape being sent to an elimination, but I guess the word "redraw" makes more sense if it's choosing a different topic from the Wastebasket of Broken Dreams.

If that's what the Redraw tickets are for, then it seems a bit weak-sauce. As @kolybry said, redrawing a topic could easily benefit the other player just as much, so it's not really on the same level as winning Immunity in Survivor. Unless it's something weird like they can use it to redraw two new topics for themselves and their opponent has to stay with the originals. Maybe even some kind of draw three pick two shenanigans? Only time will tell.

El_Funko on
    emarecksaykay
  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    @el_funko

yeah i am interested in what they do with it. redrawing a topic is a little weak and also risky, but the ability to redraw a strip in the elimination would be overkill. does the redrawer get another 90 min and what is the other artist doing? sit there and look at his rushed strip for 90 min while the other one is just polishing away... we will see.

Anyway, i am excited for next ep because of josh and i think the challenge will be interesting and something none of them really did before.

@eirejack

jsph is pretty nuts. the valentine/tough cop strips are my favorites and i just really dig her style. abby is a sleeper and i think that people are underestimating her. i will not be surprised to see her crack the final 3 or 4.
    on a related note: how fucked up is skadi in some storylines. it bounces between wacky and macabre within a page. skadi might look ridonk with her new hercut, but she will fuck your shit up and sell your kids to a dragon if there is money in it for her.

kolybry on
  • artifexcrastinusartifexcrastinus Registered User new member
    I'm looking forward to the Spoilers page with all the neat sculptures displayed so I don't have to go crazy finding the right frames in the video.

Spliveemarecksaykay
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    A Redraw Ticket must be as valuable as a Cintiq or a Large Intuos 5. If it meant "drawing another topic from the can," that would be sort of a letdown. It can't be just another dice roll. It must be redrawing your strip in an elimination, or at least being able to hand-select a topic.

I was glad to see Amy's development here. I call stuff like that "Breakfast Club" moments, when people take off their masks and show their humanity. (There'd be a lot fewer problems in the world if more people did that.) If I didn't feel much warmth towards her before, I do now.

Children don't naturally have the problem of "putting up the wall," but as we grow and get stung and hurt, we develop these hard shells as defense mechanisms. It's a shame, because these are often the sweetest, most empathetic people you'll ever meet but you'd never know it behind that exterior. Only their closest friends and family know who they really are. I've seen so many kids grow up and slowly become more guarded and less themselves. It's heartbreaking. Some of my favorite people in the world are like that. I love them, and I wish more people got to see their qualities. At any rate, I hope we get to spend more time with the real Amy now.

Katie's skills dominated this episode. I was so glad to see it! You need a lot of discipline to get your hands and the clay to build what you have in your mind, especially in so little time. On top of that her ideas were great, too. I wouldn't be surprised if her and Lexxy made it to the top 3. I haven't seen enough art/writing from the others to guess who else would qualify.

P.S. Monica is a cutie. =)

fraggyemarecksaykay
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Katie just continues to impress. I became a huge fan after the first elimination challenge, and she has kept on rolling artistically and emerged from her shell somewhat socially. Good on Amy also for making a conscious decision to stop gaming the system. This is the best reality TV show I have ever seen, but I am admittedly not a huge fan of the genre. There are defunitely moments of drama, but even those moments are colored with hope and most of the lasting memories are feel-good ones.

lympiemarecksaykay
  • CheeseGod99CheeseGod99 Registered User regular
    Really felt the humanity of the contestants in this one, especially Amy. I love that Tavis was there to hear her out. You can really tell that these people care about each other. Also, Maki's comment about "beard strategy" was solid gold!

aheeremaSpliveemarecksaykay
  • KnightmareKnightmare PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Katie's sculptures were fantastic... though I must say it is getting increasingly hard to watch this! It's becoming narrowed down to some amazing people, and seeing more of these artists only makes me like them tenfold! I want them all to win!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    WOOO @KatieJRice!!!!!!
    was pretty obvious early on that she just knows how to sculpt. She made some incredible stuff.

That was a fun challenge overall.

Was definitely happy to see Amy drop the "game" mentality.

oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    Toasticusemarecksaykay
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I felt bad for Amy, but I am glad that she has finally realised that she has to go all out instead of holding back. I am very excited to see what she will produce next. It was good to see the mask drop of the hardcore act and we got to see the real Amy. And lets hope she can at the very least get some great friendships and business partners out of this. But I have said before that I thought she could win it if she really tried and stopped meta-gaming. In that respect bringing back Lexxy really worked, it showed her that you have to produce or you could go home.

And holy hell, Katie is the clay BOSS! She tore that challenge up! Whenever she put down something awesome I thought that was the best thing she did and then she'd just as easily top it. I bet she could do a mean claymation video if she wanted.
    And Monica's hotdog was cute as hell.

And I hope Abby stays in it for a long time, her soundbites about challenges (like the number of Starbucks locations in Seattle, the number of pineapples in the show) are just hilarious. Especially because she delivers em so well.

I also really liked Tavis in this episode, I felt like he gave Amy the down-low without judging her. Telling her to enjoy and network instead of ostracizing herself and that she could be making some good friends and connections here. So good guy Nick is gone but Tavis was good guy Tavis this episode.

xdeathknightx on
    MichyGearyemarecksaykay
  • Andrew_DraperAndrew_Draper Registered User new member
    Can someone tell me what episode the redraw ticket first comes up? Because I don't remember seeing it before :(.