Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Game On

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I can't help but feel that there's a 'show behind the show' happening concurrently with this one. Did anyone happen to put a camera on the Fallen Ones? I mean, they can't POSSIBLY be sitting on their hands while all this is happening in the house. Honestly, I'd be just as interested to see what's happening back at the Hotel Max as what's going on in the house. Concentrated creativity like what we have here shouldn't be squandered, is all I'm say'n.

Alex made a comic about this, and I posted many episodes ago about how I'd love to see some of that too.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    emarecksaykayDexOZ
  • GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    Gamercow wrote: »
    8) To those of you saying that PA hasn't picked a winner yet, I find that improbable at best. I think what Mike meant was "at this point in the show" they hadn't picked a winner yet.

i dunno:

that seems pretty unambiguous.

I can see some ambiguity there. "Yet" could be taken as "at this point in the show" or "at present". Mike did not elaborate, at least not in that tweet. I am not privy to the whole conversation, so I may be missing something, but just that tweet doesn't really shed any light, if you ask me.

emarecksaykay
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Okay. I have a game for you all to play:

If you had to destroy a comic strip in a new way every week, what would you pick next?

Me? I'm going with a blender.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    emarecksaykay
  • JayeEmmJayeEmm Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    Okay. I have a game for you all to play:

If you had to destroy a comic strip in a new way every week, what would you pick next?

Me? I'm going with a blender.

I would bring in a hungry yet adorable goat.

Tigerpanda13zerzhulfullofgraceSassoriWarribsElbasunuOckhamsFollySpiritfireInquisitor77emarecksaykayDeeNilsRidian
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That goat idea has legs.

vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    SassoriSpiritfireKoopahTroopahJayeEmmmentok1982emarecksaykayTofystedethDiplominator
    zerzhul wrote: »
    That goat idea has legs.

I think it's something we can all chew on.

zerzhulJayeEmmmentok1982emarecksaykayfullofgrace
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Anyway, the longer this show goes on, the more adorkable Monica becomes. Honestly, her self-doubt is kind of sad. It may have been the editing, but they had her saying something along the lines of, "Clearly I can't sculpt" after she was one of the few to actually win one of the subject rounds. It really makes you feel like there are way too many awesome people in the world who should have more confidence, and way too many totally not awesome people who should have less.

Actually, Monica was one of two people not to win a round (Amy was the other). Katie got 3, Lexxy and Maki got 2, Erika, Abby and Tavis got 1. Though Monica did pick up votes along the way (I didn't count up Amy's).

Monica's lineup:
    Ice cream sundae- well, it looked like one; wasn't really much to say about that round overall
    Boat- "Now you know that's not a boat." "It's a duck boat it cooouuuunnnts!" (Maki voted for her.)
    Pineapple- one of the many Maki pineapples (Lexxy and Maki voted for her and Monica adorable'd)
    Dog- hot dog (Amy voted for her)
    Plane ("It's apparent by now that I can't sculpt for shit")- Burrito O'Smashy (Amy voted for it for lulz)
    Trout- a flattened fish of some kind
    Unique character- her comic-strip self

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    emarecksaykay
  • spillfishspillfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    CNE wrote: »
    Abby-Saying-Motherf**king-Pineapples.gif, please.

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://i.imgur.com/kH9CtyL.gif

Tube on
    ElbasunuKoopahTroopahInkstain82Inquisitor77JayeEmmDark Raven XCNE
  • goldwatchkillagoldwatchkilla Registered User regular
    it pisses me off that this show has the ability to piss me off. well done chaps on making a great reality show.

• secondsecond Registered User regular
    very suprised by this show in general. i figured it would be stupid but i'm pretty amazed by how interesting it is and how non-douchebaggy the artists are. really quite refreshing to watch.

emarecksaykayNotaCylonthegreenmonkey
  • thebeaglebeaglethebeaglebeagle Registered User new member
    Perhaps Amy is the creator's "devious trap" from the first episode, and is being paid for her role in this contest. She obviously offered an alliance deal to Tavis, which prompted his giving her that "talking-to" in this episode.

Or maybe that's craaaazy...

I like everything about Strip Search. This whole thing is beautiful, and it is the first reality show I have been able to watch for more than five minutes. Deciding to bring back L was a great way to add more drama when they weren't seeing the kind of energy and alliances they had hoped for.

I want all the remaining challenges to be art and writing based. The show has really gotten good with that shift. The whole game-play-quiz-interview stuff was not as good.

NotaCylonElfWord
  • sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    @gosling
    actually, whoever said earlier that they missed one of katie's wins is correct. going into the last round it wasn't tied, it was katie up one. it ended up with katie at 4. maki and lexxy were down 2 in the end with 2 each.

• parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Much like there is no Team Abby, there is no Team Monica.

There are, however, teams Tangent and ShitMyPants.

What? No #teambeardwall or #teambuttvirginity?

spillfishemarecksaykaythebeaglebeagle
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Anyway, the longer this show goes on, the more adorkable Monica becomes. Honestly, her self-doubt is kind of sad. It may have been the editing, but they had her saying something along the lines of, "Clearly I can't sculpt" after she was one of the few to actually win one of the subject rounds. It really makes you feel like there are way too many awesome people in the world who should have more confidence, and way too many totally not awesome people who should have less.

Actually, Monica was one of two people not to win a round (Amy was the other). Katie got 3, Lexxy and Maki got 2, Erika, Abby and Tavis got 1. Though Monica did pick up votes along the way (I didn't count up Amy's).

Oops - I meant to say "got multiple votes". I think I got confused when she came close to winning one of them.

a.k.a. Antaeus or Nubmonger

-A digital receiver in an analog world.
    NotaCylon
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I want Monica's clay self-portrait, Abby's happy monster, and Katie's derpy pug to all be friends.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    emarecksaykayNotaCylonBugsinspace
  • LoneGunmanLoneGunman Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Loved this challenge. Totally outside (most of) their comfort zones yet they still all managed to deliver.

On a side note, if those redraw tickets are really for pulling new topics out during the challenges, I think they're largely useless in my opinion. Instead of "Balls" you might get "Dicks"? Seems like it should be worth more as a reward...something like you could get a second chance on a creative challenge or get more time to scrap and re-do during the elimination (though that would be a bit unfair...).

Almost forgot: Go Lexxy!! (and Erika!)

LoneGunman on
    NotaCylon
    LoneGunman wrote: »
    Loved this challenge. Totally outside (most of) their comfort zones yet they still all managed to deliver.

On a side note, if those redraw tickets are really for pulling new topics out during the challenges, I think they're largely useless in my opinion. Instead of "Balls" you might get "Dicks"? Seems like it should be worth more as a reward...something like you could get a second chance on a creative challenge or get more time to scrap and re-do during the elimination (though that would be a bit unfair...).

Almost forgot: Go Lexxy!! (and Erika!)

I disagree. As a writer, "space, ping-pong" and "the future, lost" provided instant inspiration. "County fair, flatulence" provided lukewarm inspiration after 30 seconds or so. I still don't have a solid idea for areola circus, other than the joke that strapless corsets and backflips would be a really bad combination.

For me, space, the future, and lost would instantly improve any combination, while flatulence and areola would be a detriment. While there's no guarantee of an improvement, there's a decent chance of it.

Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    emarecksaykayAzaminothebeaglebeagle
  • CoinageCoinage Registered User regular
    When I first started watching I was hoping the entire show would be Katie going to and winning every elimination, although I guess that would be kind of mean, lol. Go Katie!
    Aurich wrote: »
    We've all scoped Amy's blog comic, right? That, combined with her showing so far, paints a fairly unhappy person (I hope that doesn't sound accusatory). What I'm saying is I'm really eager to see 'real Amy' and if she is capable of being funny.
    Yeah, I was rolling my eyes at the melodrama when I was watching it, but reading that softens my outlook. However, on the other hand, not just anyone could draw herself having a threesome!

#JusticeForTuvix
    NotaCylon
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Some of the sculptures were left intact afterwards for a photo gallery, including Maki's pineapple and 'unique character', Katie's pineapple, derpy pug and scrotum head, Abby's red animal thingie, and six of Monica's seven. (Take a wild guess which one of hers is missing.)

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    Why do I feel like Maki will be really good at setting up his table in the Strip Search Con challenge?
    Monica will of course, shit her pants.

What do you guys think?

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    emarecksaykayAzaminothebeaglebeagle
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    I disagree. As a writer, "space, ping-pong" and "the future, lost" provided instant inspiration. "County fair, flatulence" provided lukewarm inspiration after 30 seconds or so. I still don't have a solid idea for areola circus, other than the joke that strapless corsets and backflips would be a really bad combination.

For me, space, the future, and lost would instantly improve any combination, while flatulence and areola would be a detriment. While there's no guarantee of an improvement, there's a decent chance of it.

So I give a 50% chance that you wouldn't even consider using it, and a 60% chance that, if used, you would still use the original ideas (or, not being given that choice, regret having made it). Granted this is too small a sample size to really be doing this... but nevertheless I predict an 80% chance of lameness. ;)

... How many hours until Friday?

• ShrikeTheAvatarShrikeTheAvatar Registered User regular
    Why did Amy continue voting for Monica even though Monica's stuff was god-awful? It seemed like some kind of cruel joke or a pity thing. Or some misguided attempt at strategy?

Azaminothebeaglebeagle
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Why did Amy continue voting for Monica even though Monica's stuff was god-awful? It seemed like some kind of cruel joke or a pity thing. Or some misguided attempt at strategy?

Maybe she just liked some of the quirky designs? I know I did. I thought the duck boat, hot dog dog, and monica avatar were great.

g1xfUKU.png?1
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    NotaCylonemarecksaykay
  • dewordedeworde Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I think Erika nailed it. It's not that Amy's devious or manipulative in essence, it's that she wants to win *really* badly, especially compared to some of the others. So she's been doing everything to game the system. And now she finds out that the system isn't fixed, that this is the kind of game like D&D where if it serves the show or the end goal, that Rule Zero applies, and that actually, metagaming might put you at risk, and it's certainly not worth holding back both professionally and socially to try and get ahead.
    And that clearly hurt her a bit. And Bravo * 100 to Tavis for talking it through with her like that.

deworde on
    NotaCylonemarecksaykayDexOZTheSpyder
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Her stuff wasn't god awful.

Some of it was hilarious. maybe some people like fun.

The duck boat was great. Her pineapple was on par with most of the others. Her dog was brilliant.

The plane yeah, I think the vote was meant to be funny.

Her unique character was her from her comic strip and was great.

mcp on
    walrus.png
    emarecksaykaytynicPavioSassori
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm still pretty annoyed about Lexxy being back. Even if she's the #2 webcomic artist (and I think even that is debatable), the #2 is going home anyway. Anyone who thinks Lexxy's art earns her a spot, Tavis still beat her fair and square. Nick should probably still be in this, even if he's not as good as Lexxy (and again, debatable).

I'm hoping Lexxy is automatically up for elimination this day, so she's forced to prove she deserves a spot still. If she wins then, so be it, I'll stop complaining as she'll have proved she can do it. Until then, she's a challenge-loser who's in it because the Creators cheated.

Moving on, though, happy to see lots of stripship-bait. So far I've been really wanting to see more content in the episodes that wasn't just challenge footage. Having some personal stuff, and just seeing the strippers interact with each other and do art in their downtime, that's rather nice. Hopefully we get more of that going forward.

Anyway, for this challenge, I'd have gone with:
    Icecream: Maki and Lexxy
    Boat: Katie and Monica
    Pineapple: Maki
    Dog: Katie and Monica
    Airplane: Maki and Katie
    Trout: Katie
    Unique Character: Katie

So, would have ended up in the same place, but in a slightly different way. It's too bad the camera was a bit out of focus on some of those. Maybe the strippers saw more detail than I could pick out.

Monica should really start wearing a diaper.

I'm actually quite excited for the next elimination challenge. It looks like it'll appeal to my organizer brain. Plus Khoo. Oh yes, the Khoo.

I think the next couple eliminations are going to really make or break this series, in my mind. I for one am really hoping the final elimination is not done live at PAX Prime, even though I'm going to be attending.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    Pavio
    edited April 2013
    Sundae: Tavis (his blue bowl adds nice contrast)
    Boat: Monica (the duck boat was too perfect)
    Pineapple: Maki
    Dog: Katie (though Abby is a close second)
    Airplane: Maki (this one is hard, because I like Maki, Abby, Amy and Lexxy.)
    Trout: Abby and Katie
    Character: Abby and Monica

Now, the problem is we only have one shot of Abby's Gooftrout, vs Katie's rainbow and Erika's.. which doesn't look all that impressive from my angle. So I don't know which one of those I would have actually picked.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I think it's weird they said Maki's was the only plane flying.

I think Amy's is pretty clearly in the clouds.

walrus.png
    AManFromEarthdewordeAzaminoRachel_From_PortlandPavio
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    I love this show so much. I want Lexxy, Maki, Katie, and Erika all to win. Looks like I'm gonna be sad no matter what happens.

It occurred to me that it feels like most of the guys have come across more like they're artists for fun and haven't dedicated themselves to it, whereas most of the girls seem to be more dedicated. (I haven't actually looked into all of the artists' backgrounds yet, this is just the impression I get from the show.)

What's more, 4 guys have been eliminated so far, and the 1 girl that got eliminated came back.

thegreenmonkey
    parmeisan wrote: »
    Much like there is no Team Abby, there is no Team Monica.

There are, however, teams Tangent and ShitMyPants.

What? No #teambeardwall or #teambuttvirginity?

I'm not sure if it#s #teamBeardwall or if it's now been subverted into #teamMakinapple, so I left it out.

I'm pretty sure at this point that Lexxy is #TeamZombie

PavioInkstain82
  • LonelyKnightLonelyKnight Registered User new member
    edited April 2013
    All of Katie's sculptures were creative, fun, clean, and well executed. I'm with Tavis on detail of her pineapple. One thing though is that they forgot to give Katie a point for winning the Dog challenge so the final score should be 0 0 2 1 1 4 1 2. Not that it mattered in the end, but she was winning the whole time.

LonelyKnight on
  • Rachel_From_PortlandRachel_From_Portland Registered User new member
    I've never been so universally attached to a group of people on a reality tv show. I think its because they have so many different styles. Its like that Extra Credits episode where they talk about diversification and power creep.

What I REALLY want is a Friends style spin-off show, that's just all of the artists hanging out.

PavioLamp
  • EricStrattonEricStratton Registered User regular
    I haaaaated the way this episode was edited. I was constantly having to rewind to see exactly which sculpture each person was voting for. "I liked Erika's". <rewind to see which was Erika's.> Oh cool, yeah that was good. I much rather would've had the video show each person's as it was voted for. Or show them all at once with a tag over them. Hell, I didn't even notice the name in the bottom left corner of the screen when they displayed the sculptures in the first round.

That aside, I'm not sure if I'm happy at the "purity" (if you will) of the challenge in that no one seemed to be voting against the stronger players. Or if I'm disappointed that no one is playing more strategically. I may have watched too much Survivor in the past....

Pavioemarecksaykay
    I still don't have a solid idea for areola circus

Panel 1: (a stereotypical ring master talking to a lady in a leotard holding a knife. Background has a person against a wall with knives sticking out neatly arranged around him. For comedy, perhaps a tiny trickle of blood coming from one.)
    Ringmaster "So, We need to pick a name for your act"
    Lady "I was thinking of "Daring Knife-Queen disemboweler the second"

Panel 2: (Ringmaster is waving his hands in front of him, DKQDtII is looking pensive, background could include an image of some people extracting the victim from the wall of knives.)
    Ringmaster "Nonono, all the names of our performers rhyme with their act... it's kind of a thing."
    DK-QDtII "So, what are they called?"

Panel 3: (Ringmaster extrapolating, DK-QDtII looking pensive still. or, If there's time, do a sepia panel with a collage of the named acts)
    Ringmaster: We've got Scion Kramer the Lion Tamer, Dancing Matt, the Acrobat, Tony Brown the Bony Clown... What did you say your name was again?

Panel 4: (DK-QDtII in corner of an image, overlaid over an image of a flyer for a circus show)
    DK-QDtII "Viola..."
    (Circus show has advertised attraction "Viola Moser the Areola Exposer")

edited April 2013
    Not to be a jerk, but I don't think that idea's anywhere near as good as what the contestants produced. I judge my comic ideas based on whether I think they might have had a shot at being competitive. Note: my art is nowhere near as fast and good as anyone in this competition, with one or two possible exceptions, and I don't work digitally, so I'm not saying "oh yeah, I could win this..." but I am playing along at home, so to speak.

The comic I had for areola circus on the day in question was something like this.

<PANEL 1>
    (Two friends sit in a seat, overlooking a performance area, where people in ridiculous glittering costumes are doing ridiculous things.)
    "Cirque du Soleil? More like Cirque du So-lame. There aren't even any elephants."

<PANEL 2>
    (they look increasingly bored, more unfunny, stylized clowns in front of them)

"I mean, how can they even call this a circus? No lion taming, no bearded lady, and all the clowns are sad clowns."
    "Can you believe there are like seven different versions of this crap playing on the Vegas strip, simultaneously? How? I do not understand what the appeal is. At all."

<PANEL 3>
    (Two extremely attractive women are standing in front of them, one doing a back bridge, the other balances on her stomach. Both are wearing ridiculous beaten/metal, pseudo-steampunk bodices, with giant brass areolas, which shoot fire from the nipples. Speech bubble is very small, and at the extreme lower right corner of the panel)
    "Oh. I get it now"

END

That's it, and it's a pretty standard "hur boobs" joke.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Sandra Snan
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Not to be a jerk, but I don't think that idea's anywhere near as good as what the contestants produced. I judge my comic ideas based on whether I think they might have had a shot at being competitive. Note: my art is nowhere near as fast and good as anyone in this competition, with one or two possible exceptions, and I don't work digitally, so I'm not saying "oh yeah, I could win this..." but I am playing along at home, so to speak.

The comic I had for areola circus on the day in question was something like this.

<PANEL 1>
    (Two friends sit in a seat, overlooking a performance area, where people in ridiculous glittering costumes are doing ridiculous things.)
    "Cirque du Soleil? More like Cirque du So-lame. There aren't even any elephants."

<PANEL 2>
    (they look increasingly bored, more unfunny, stylized clowns in front of them)

"I mean, how can they even call this a circus? No lion taming, no bearded lady, and all the clowns are sad clowns."
    "Can you believe there are like seven different versions of this crap playing on the Vegas strip, simultaneously? How? I do not understand what the appeal is. At all."

<PANEL 3>
    (Two extremely attractive women are standing in front of them, one doing a back bridge, the other balances on her stomach. Both are wearing ridiculous beaten/metal, pseudo-steampunk bodices, with giant brass areolas, which shoot fire from the nipples. Speech bubble is very small, and at the extreme lower right corner of the panel)
    "Oh. I get it now"

END

Cut the bulk of that useless text and spend all 90 minutes creating a glorious image out of that 3rd panel and MAYBE , maybe, it would be almost half as good as tavis's. The visual would really have to carry it!

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?1
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    emarecksaykay
  • CNECNE Registered User regular
    spillfish wrote: »
    CNE wrote: »
    Abby-Saying-Motherf**king-Pineapples.gif, please.

Ask and ye shall receive.

You da fish! Thanks!

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I feel like Areola Circus should be the name of a really awesome or really depressing strip club.

emarecksaykay
  • alltheolivealltheolive Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm super interested to know more about the mechanics of the show: What art supplies was the house pre-stocked with? Do the artists get their choice of any tool for the eliminations, or just Intuos vs. Cintiq (I look forward to discovering that someone will render their elimination comic in pasta collage or crayon)? What are they eating- 100% hot pockets, takeout provided, cooking for themselves?

Unrelatedly, I'm a little surprised Erika didn't do better at this- she's dabbled in clay before. http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikamoen/sets/72157622738093197/?page=2

alltheolive on
    emarecksaykay
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I'm super interested to know more about the mechanics of the show: What art supplies was the house pre-stocked with? Do the artists get their choice of any tool for the eliminations, or just Intuos vs. Cintiq (I look forward to discovering that someone will render their elimination comic in pasta collage or crayon)? What are they eating- 100% hot pockets, takeout provided, cooking for themselves?

I'm fairly certain at one point that they mentioned that all the artists had been asked in advance what kind of setup they'd want for the elimination chamber (though presumably they haven't been informed of the exact details of the challenge).

emarecksaykay