Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Game On

1234568»

• cbricharcbrichar Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain at one point that they mentioned that all the artists had been asked in advance what kind of setup they'd want for the elimination chamber (though presumably they haven't been informed of the exact details of the challenge).

Yeah, I believe this was mentioned in the Stripsearch Q&A at PAX. Basically, at least for the elimination challenges, all artists would be working with their peripherals / OS / software of choice. I don't think anything was said about what they were provided / could bring into the house, however.

emarecksaykay
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I've never been so universally attached to a group of people on a reality tv show. I think its because they have so many different styles. Its like that Extra Credits episode where they talk about diversification and power creep.

What I REALLY want is a Friends style spin-off show, that's just all of the artists hanging out.

I think what happened, happened way back at the start of the modern reality era (which I'm defining as dating from the premiere of Survivor: Borneo). Right alongside Survivor was Big Brother 1, taking ten people, two of which were a Black Panther and a stripper. The other eight were nice enough people and had a collective demeanor which, if not totally like that of the Strip Searchers, was about as close as you're going to find over the course of the era.

What happened was how the producers structured the elimination process. Each houseguest voted for two people to be nominated for eviction. The two houseguests with the most votes, plus any additional houseguests who tied for a top-two position, were nominated. The houseguests took no further part in the process; the viewers voted on who should go. The first two out the door were the Black Panther and, despite a campaign waged by David Letterman, the stripper. The other eight, reasoning that ultimately they had no control over their own fate, basically just hung out and made friends the rest of the summer, to the point where, when they reached the round of six, they coordinated their nomination votes so that all six of them were nominated together. The viewers yawned. The producers tried to bribe the houseguests with enough prize money to equal that of a third-place finish ($50,000) if one of them would leave so they could put in a backup houseguest that was pledging to shake things up. The houseguests declined.

The viewers ultimately gave the $500,000 prize to the one-legged cancer survivor. Because of course they did. The producers did a total tear-down of the game format and converted it into the paradise of backstabbery we know today, while also casting a bunch of drama people, including one who got chucked out early on for putting a knife to another houseguest's throat and saying, "Would you get mad if I killed you?". Ratings skyrocketed. All the other shows looked at this and came to a logical conclusion that America didn't want to watch nice people. They wanted to watch backstabbery.

What Strip Search is showing is that they may have reached the wrong conclusion. The difference between Big Brother 1 and Strip Search- besides the fact that there are no Black Panthers or strippers- is that Strip Search's elimination format offers contestants direct control over whether they go home or not. On Big Brother 1, you just sat around and waited for the audience to tell you to leave. On Strip Search, you draw your own way out of trouble. The cast is still friendly towards each other, but there's enough individual control to where they still all want to show they're the best artist in the group even if they don't think they can (or even should) win. A competitive spirit exists that Big Brother 1 lacked. As a result, there's still something exciting to watch, and viewers can feel comfortable rooting for anyone. There never will come a point here where all the nice people are gone and viewers lose interest because all there is left to do is root for the lesser of evils.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    SejarkiRex BeaversFenrisknightkungpowish@gmail.comemarecksaykaydarleysamPavio
  • dewordedeworde Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Where's the music from, and why is it uncredited? (EDIT: Just noticed that Bradley Rains is credited for "Music", but nothing on the theme. To teh interwebz!)

deworde on
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Not to be a jerk, but I don't think that idea's anywhere near as good as what the contestants produced. I judge my comic ideas based on whether I think they might have had a shot at being competitive.

In this regard, it might be quite difficult to compete on Areola Circus, because the contestants were so good. I think that it'd be tough to outmatch their efforts. Indeed, I've already said on these forums that I don't think my joke-writing remotely matched the contestants for elimination 3. (So far, I only think that I've stood a chance as a competitor in elimination 4). I think both of our jokes here outperform the writing in elimination 4 as well. So it's swings and roundabouts.

In the case of the Viola joke, I've tailored my joke a little assuming an American market - I watch a lot of American sitcoms, and I tend to find American humour tends to lead the horse to water, then hand it a straw - i.e. there's a strong preference to hammer the joke home to make sure all of the audience get it. I've done this, but in my own opinion it devalues the humour.

Drier British humour (That I prefer) tends to take you to the point where you could work out the joke, then let you do the work for yourself. I like this kind of setup, it makes the reader feel clever for getting the joke. Applying this in the case of my writing above, the last panel would just show the lady looking quite worried or dejected, and saying "Viola" with no other explanation. - The strip doesn't even make sense as a standalone, but the audience, knowing it's an areola joke can work it out. Maybe you'd prefer this approach?

I did, incidentally, figure out the Viola joke within the 90 minutes - but it was about 30 minutes in. I didn't have the specifics of the writing yet, and I didn't think I could get the art down in the time remaining, so I continued with the other joke instead.

Oh, I don't think it's being a jerk to give legit crit - I welcome criticism of all my stuff, especially as I place myself firmly in the "learning" bracket.

ahdok on
    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    @cbrichar:
    I don’t get it… I use a lot of home-made softare to make my pictures, little shell scripts to make small boring things go faster.
    Why can’t I just bring my entire computer?
    Yet another reason why I wouldn’t last a day in this challenge.

• Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    CGG: Yeah, that “I get it now” could work. The size of the speech ballon and things like that help create a good rhythm.

I look forward to discovering that someone will render their elimination comic in pasta collage or crayon)

Crayons are the best. I did all my elimination comics in crayon.
    Gosling wrote: »
    What Strip Search is showing is that ... There never will come a point here where all the nice people are gone.

StripSearch is exhibiting something that has been sorely lacking in much of our mainstream film, sports, TV, journalism, music and politics.
    Stripsearch is telling us that you can be successful without being a douche.

• Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    I look forward to discovering that someone will render their elimination comic in pasta collage or crayon)

What Strip Search is showing is that ... There never will come a point here where all the nice people are gone.

StripSearch is exhibiting something that has been sorely lacking in much of our mainstream film, sports, TV, journalism, music and politics.

Lets wait until we see who wins, and how they win before we say that. So far none of them are "Successful." Not in the show, and not really in real life depending on your meter for success.(their comics weren't exactly house hold names before the show)

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    emarecksaykay
  • YllanesYllanes Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I would say raising 50K in a few days for a webcomic that doesn't even exist yet is being succesful (plus look at their rising numbers of followers on Twitter, for instance). I say particularly the artists that have promoted themselves the most on forums and social networks (such as Maki, Amy or Lexxy) have already gained a lot. Obviously not all the participants will be able to quit their day job, but I think all of them will have benefited from the show.

Yllanes on
  • GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    I wish I could win the Powerball, so I could create a webcomic commune, where all the artists have to do is make their comics, and as long as they keep a fairly regular schedule, they get free room and board. When they make enough money to survive on their own, or give up, they move out. Now that I write this down, it sounds like a Halfway House for artists. :)

emarecksaykay
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Gamercow wrote: »
    I wish I could win the Powerball, so I could create a webcomic commune, where all the artists have to do is make their comics, and as long as they keep a fairly regular schedule, they get free room and board. When they make enough money to survive on their own, or give up, they move out. Now that I write this down, it sounds like a Halfway House for artists. :)

I'm picturing the FBI raiding the place and being disappointed that the shed they thought was full of guns just has paint and markers, and that the large heat signature they thought was a grow room was just a computer room.

emarecksaykay
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

Lets wait until we see who wins, and how they win before we say that. So far none of them are "Successful." Not in the show, and not really in real life depending on your meter for success.(their comics weren't exactly house hold names before the show)

I like to think that Erika is pretty successful, but I don't know all the details. Lexxy works as an illustrator on several high profile commissions. Monica's Indie Go Go looks good enough to fund whatever her next venture might be. Maki's strip is huge in my circle of science friends.

I'm not saying these artists are "making bank" but priority one is to make enough money to live off of doing what you love, and they are either there or getting there.

g1xfUKU.png?1
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I would put Katie in the "successful" category.

I think this is her IMDB page?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1407728/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

walrus.png
    emarecksaykay
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular

I thought ahdok meant that the show is successful...? I mean, it looks as though the creators meant for there to be more scheming and drama, but despite the lack of it, there are plenty of viewers. No hard numbers or anything but it seems successful to me, which might bode well for reality TV in the future... after this has been paid for by a studio and re-editted into a prime time type of show. :D

edited April 2013

I'm pretty sure that, for what currently amounts to less than a week in the lives of these people, that the exposure they have received from the show alone is a success - All of them have won out significantly from the show already, and those who remain will only stand to gain more from it as it goes on (unless one of them suddenly decides to be a douche, that would go badly for them, although it would not counter my point.)

Also, I feel I can safely say that the winner of the show is not going to be the douchy one. That's because none of them are a douche. Assuming your only metric of success is winning this show, then you can be a success without being a douche.

Of course, this is before we even count the professional relationships they're building with people in their field, the prizes they've won, the work they've created and kept the rights to, the value of the experience they've gotten out of the show or the pineapples.

ahdok on
    emarecksaykay
  • RoyalRoyal Registered User regular
    Called it at the end of last episode that this decision would be a Game Changer on Amy.

steam_sig.png
    "What we play is life."
    - Louis Armstrong
    Those Gentlemen Gamers
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    or the pineapples.

That needs to be a reward. A year's supply of pineapples.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    emarecksaykay
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    or the pineapples.

That needs to be a reward. A year's supply of pineapples.
    Abby wins it.

Physically assaults Khoo.

walrus.png
    emarecksaykay
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cool guy Nick @Mynt drew the most amazingest thing and I am reposting it here because it should be reposted everywhere.

SPKgEcg.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    emarecksaykay
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Khoo is really a Pikachu, that is awesome !!!!!

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    oh my god @AmyTFalcone

oh my god

tumblr_ml0muhNwl71qz9mz6o1_500.jpg
    Robert Khoobey: Being webcomics is suffering
    (http://amytfalcone.tumblr.com/)

well, that answers the question of #TeamTangent or #TeamScheme

and
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    tumblr_mld31dxZ8P1rcqyvgo1_500.png

Haven't been posted yet right?

AManFromEarthMichyGearykungpowish@gmail.comemarecksaykayFelipesnacstolee
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    I hope Amy does change her approach to the interviews too, because, God love her but saying 'I've been pulling my punches' just sounds incredibly arrogant. I can see she's a sweet person normally, so, yeah, just being herself and forgetting all of this stuff would be great.

very interested by Erika's sculptures there, that's a completely different side to her talent that I hadn't expected not being that keen on the rest of her stuff- very cool indeed.

I also want to know about art supplies! for challenge one they gave them markers, why they didn't for the Magic one I can't understand. I thought Copic were sponsoring the show & would want to show people using their products. so envious of Katie's marker collection, and slightly faint when thinking about how much cash they represent.

emarecksaykay
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    I'm super interested to know more about the mechanics of the show: What art supplies was the house pre-stocked with? Do the artists get their choice of any tool for the eliminations, or just Intuos vs. Cintiq (I look forward to discovering that someone will render their elimination comic in pasta collage or crayon)? What are they eating- 100% hot pockets, takeout provided, cooking for themselves?

Unrelatedly, I'm a little surprised Erika didn't do better at this- she's dabbled in clay before. http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikamoen/sets/72157622738093197/?page=2

That tentacle pony is a hell of a thing.

Automata-Sg.png
    emarecksaykay
  • TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    blah

TheSpyder on
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    Sorry, but still feel myself rooting against Lexxy.

• corbinhjellecorbinhjelle Registered User new member
    Katie didn't get one of her points...

• NeoriceisgoodNeoriceisgood Registered User regular
    Katie didn't get one of her points...

Yet she still won! Impressive.

1234568»