Options

The [Steam] Thread has expired - Find the new one

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    harvest wrote: »
    Anyone pick up La-Mulana for Steam? It's been out for PC since last year but I bought it again anyway for some reason :)

La Mulana has been forever ruined for me because of that SA LP.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Also, will changing the Steam skin make it load any faster? Or will it in fact make it load slower?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Driver San Francisco multiplayer? I'LL SIGN UP IN BLOOD!

well that's 2 of us :) I should be good to play Friday or Saturday between 8 PM and 1 AM GMT, if we can get some more interest it should be a fun night

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I work friday night s but Saturday is perfect for me.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Anyone pick up La-Mulana for Steam? It's been out for PC since last year but I bought it again anyway for some reason :)

La Mulana has been forever ruined for me because of that SA LP.

Er, care to elaborate? The only LP I've seen is Deceased Crab's on Youtube.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Looking at the store page for Starseed Pilgrim and I have no idea what it is. I guess that might be the point?

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Just went through the basic tutorials of AI War.

This is gonna be fun, I'm gonna have not a clue what I'm doing but I feel like it's going to be fun.

You'll be freeing the universe from those binary bastards and their alien accomplices, of course.

• Options
    BlandlytastefulBlandlytasteful Gruelmaster The Dark LunchroomRegistered User regular
    I keep expecting to see a Skyrim sale anytime after the one on the Xbox recently, and the one over on Gamestop right now... It needs to come faster.

Steam: Blandlytasteful | XBL: Blandlytasteful | PSN: Blandlytasteful | 3DS: 3411-0354-2109
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    For once I actually have a fair bit of time available in which I don't have to be working. No idea what to play. Do I start a new run of DA:O? Mass Effect? Actually play The Witcher? X3: Terran Conflict? Try to make a rocket that actually works in Kerbal Space Program? Play beyond the first hour of KoA:R?

Man, I have some catching up to do.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the walking dead is way too intense for me to play more than half an hour at a time or so

never played a game quite like this

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Great new thread and comic, @TychoCelchuuu. :)
    Peewi wrote: »
    Looking at the store page for Starseed Pilgrim and I have no idea what it is. I guess that might be the point?

It's like Antichamber and Lode Runner had a baby...?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I keep expecting to see a Skyrim sale anytime after the one on the Xbox recently, and the one over on Gamestop right now... It needs to come faster.

Skyrim is Steamworks so unless you have Steam credit to spend it doesn't matter where you buy it

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Reverse anagram time.

header_292x136.jpg?t=1363804599

I have some Shattered Haven for you lovely people to sink your teeth into. It looks like a potential indie gem. Fire me a PM with whatever silly nonsensical thing you can come up with from the game's title - I'll excuse the addition or removal of the odd letter if it means the anagram is amusing and/or loaded with innuendo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I'm waiting on my Steam key from the Groupees bundle. Looking forward to it. I mean, sure, I could just play it on Desura right now, but I am petty and want my Steam achievements and my saves to go into the cloud.

• Options
    Ashe wrote: »
    Reverse anagram time.

header_292x136.jpg?t=1363804599

I have some Shattered Haven for you lovely people to sink your teeth into. It looks like a potential indie gem. Fire me a PM with whatever silly nonsensical thing you can come up with from the game's title - I'll excuse the addition or removal of the odd letter if it means the anagram is amusing and/or loaded with innuendo.

Some sort of zombie roguelike?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I asked this at the tail end of the prior thread so it went unanswered. I played Ticket to Ride last night for the first time and loved it. What other board games (based on real life games or otherwise) are there to be had on Steam that folks would recommend?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I haven't tried other TrackIR variants but I can confirm the coolness of 5.0. Changing lanes is much smoother as you're able to look at your mirrors instead of panning the camera over... It's hard to describe I guess, but I really dig it. I'd imagine it'd be pretty good for Farm simming too, hitching trailers and such in first-person view.

does the little thing sitting on your monitor work by itself or do I need to get the clip on thing to? Or is that just for added stability/magic?

The thing that sits on top of your monitor has a 3-legged prong to attach itself, nothing else is required. It doesn't have to be dead center as the sensor itself swivels, and you'll need to calibrate it anyway.

It'll come with a sensor that attaches to the brim of a hat or one that attaches to a head-set. Both work in a similar way. Whack one of them on, boot up the program, put your head in a comfortable neutral zone and hit F12 (I think) to make that the new centre. Have it running in the background while you play the game and you're done. It's surprisingly simple to set up.

To expand on this, the base package of TrackIR comes with the IR emitter/camera that sits on your monitor and a metal clip with reflectors that goes on the brim of a hat. The pro clip is a separate thing that uses a battery to power IR leds that can clip to the side of a headset (if you'd rather wear that than a hat). Supposedly the pro clip increases tracking accuracy, and is better at the extremes of motion, but I only have the hat clip and it works pretty good. I'd really only get the pro clip if you want to wear a headset rather than a hat.

There's also a free thing that uses a webcam to track your face (so you don't have to wear anything), but I think it's a little harder to get running with games (have to set up virtual input devices, I believe). Most sims natively support TrackIR, so they just work, but if the game doesn't support it, I don't think you can finagle it into working. Any serious sim is going to support it, though.

I will say that when I first got it, I was kind of let down because it wasn't as magical as I imagined, and was kind of hard to get used to. After a little bit I got used to it, and can't imagine playing sims without it now. It'd be like removing a limb or something. Occasionally I'll load up DCS to test something out but won't put my hat on, and I'll find myself instinctively turning my head to pan the view. Keep in mind that you'll probably have to tweak its sensitivity for some games for optimal use, but that's pretty easy with the software.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    There's a Deep Silver sale over on Gamefly right now. All three games appear to register on Steam:

Dead Island Game of the Year Edition - $4.99
    Metro 2033 - $4.99
    Saints Row the Third The Full Package - $16.99

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    There's a Deep Silver sale over on Gamefly right now. All three games appear to register on Steam:

Metro 2033 - $4.99

Is there anyone left who doesn't already own Dead Island? If so, that needs to be corrected. First, because it's a fantastic and fun game, and second, because not owning it makes you a bad person.

I mean, seriously. You can put a circular saw blade on the end of a baseball bat, wire it up with batteries, and mow down zombies with it. What could possibly be better than that? Besides maybe the spiky morning star weapon?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Thanks @gerafin for the gift of the #2 Humble Indie Bundle!

• Options
    gerafingerafin Registered User regular
    I asked this at the tail end of the prior thread so it went unanswered. I played Ticket to Ride last night for the first time and loved it. What other board games (based on real life games or otherwise) are there to be had on Steam that folks would recommend?

Memoir '44. It's one of my favorite board games, and the steam version is F2P. You get a few scenarios for free, and then have to pay to get more - having never paid for more, I'm not sure what the cost is. Don't be put off by the fact that its a war game, it's actually quite simple and the main mechanic is extremely elegant.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    ok last reminder
    signature.png

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Luchaire wrote: »

Metro 2033 - $4.99

Is there anyone left who doesn't already own Dead Island? If so, that needs to be corrected. First, because it's a fantastic and fun game, and second, because not owning it makes you a bad person.

I mean, seriously. You can put a circular saw blade on the end of a baseball bat, wire it up with batteries, and mow down zombies with it. What could possibly be better than that? Besides maybe the spiky morning star weapon?

I don't, but it's just cause I already have no money; I need to not buy games I can't play for the future possibility of being able to play them. My copy of Sleeping Dogs and other games of that nature have already made me pretty sure I'll be building a new PC by years end.

Also, that crafting system you talk about sounds a lot like the only parts of Dead Rising 2 I dug. I put a battery on a stick of some sort and it became an electro-stick I could then use to cheese my way past a boss on a death-motorcycle by standing in a hallway next to a narrow path and basically clotheslining him as he drove back and forth until he died.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I own Dead Island but not any of the DLC or the GOTY edition. I wish Steam had an upgrade option, like with Civ 2. If I register a GOTY key, will I have 2 entries in my library?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    No, I think it just burns the game part and you get the DLC. Or the GOTY becomes the only one you have.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    If you have the base game, I wouldn't bother with the GOTY/DLC. The only interesting part (unless my memory is shit) was the Ripper weapon, and that's just one weapon among zillions of interesting weapons, and not even one that's worth using past the first part of the game.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    RE: Steam Skins

Are there any designed for 1920x1080 other than possibly Blue Pulse? It'd be nice not to be forced to hack the css files every update to increase the chat font size.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    If you have the base game, I wouldn't bother with the GOTY/DLC. The only interesting part (unless my memory is shit) was the Ripper weapon, and that's just one weapon among zillions of interesting weapons, and not even one that's worth using past the first part of the game.

Wasn't the actual ending DLC?

• Options
    If it was, that's totally news to me. I can't imagine it, but then there's lots of things I can't imagine that are apparently real things. Like black holes. Or people who don't like Journey. Or rude Canadians.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I would imagine the full package version of Saint's Row 3 is the one to get?

Wish you actually add that to your wishlist instead of just the base game.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    I can't help but think "steam steam lol" every time a new Steam thread is created. And then I think of this old meme image:

steamsteamlol.jpg

http://steamsteamlol.ytmnd.com/

Holy crap it's YTMND.

Is this the 50s or 1999?

Oh god I don't want to post spaghetti again

http://momspaghetti.ytmnd.com/

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Er, care to elaborate? The only LP I've seen is Deceased Crab's on Youtube.
    That WAS the SA LP. Well...one of his two LPs of it was.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    RE: Steam Skins

Are there any designed for 1920x1080 other than possibly Blue Pulse? It'd be nice not to be forced to hack the css files every update to increase the chat font size.

Pixelvison works well with 1920x1080 once you hack a single styles file... I hacked it once to increase all the font sizes and have so far been able to just drop it into the Pixelvision folder then update a line in the settings.ini to use it. Relatively painless.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Metro 2033 - $4.99

Because your weapons break down quickly, combat is fairly slow and monotonous, zombies perpetually respawn to give you more monotonous combat, and it feels like the game is 90% boring fetch quests.

Beyond that, I thought it was OK.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Contest Time!

Reposting for the new thread.

dHhFtgE.jpg

Today, I'm be taking a final exam. It's the first final of my last semester of college/university. On April 28th, I will be graduating. Obviously this is a pretty big milestone in my life, so I'd like to celebrate with my first contest. Over the past 4 years, I've learned a lot. One of the things I learned, is that those movies about fun times at college/university are misleading. Between a full course load and working full time, I didn't have a whole lot of time for all that. But damn if I don't like those stories.

So that is what I want, stories. Tell me your best, wildest or most interesting story of something you did at college/university, or just in general as an early 20-something. It can be anything, a wild party, a cool study abroad trip, a unique event you attended.

Since I'm graduating with a history degree (I know, you don't have to say anything), the best story will get their choice of a "historical" game. Any Paradox grand strategy game, any Civ, Age of Empires, Total War, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, any real war shooter, etc. To remain unbiased, the winner will tell me what game they want after they've won, price does not matter, and of course you can suggest other "historical" games. Thanks to @SmokeStacks the runner up will receive Making History: The Calm and the Storm.

To keep it interesting for me and to ensure I get good entries, the worst story will get a copy of Bad Rats. Even if you already have it, you'll be saddled with another.

The winning and losing story will be posted in the thread, as is customary. So you may want to edit them a bit, just in case.

Because this is school themed, so is the deadline. My last day of finals is next Saturday, April 27th. So you'll have until 6PM EST on April 27th to submit an entry to me via PM.

This contest is open to any active poster on the forums, I don't care about "Adventure Team" or anything like that. 1 entry per person.

I'll be reposting this in a few days.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Because your weapons break down quickly, combat is fairly slow and monotonous, zombies perpetually respawn to give you more monotonous combat, and it feels like the game is 90% boring fetch quests.

Beyond that, I thought it was OK.

Oh. I modded that. My weapons last a lot longer. :D

I'll have to respectfully disagree on the respawning, combat, and quests.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

I'm waiting on my Steam key from the Groupees bundle. Looking forward to it. I mean, sure, I could just play it on Desura right now, but I am petty and want my Steam achievements and my saves to go into the cloud.

@SteevL my La-Mulana key just appeared on my Groupees page

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So uh screenshots of Starseed Pilgrim makes it look pretty rad... So its a block based discovery puzzle platformer? Worth the current $6 price? Is it open ended and how long is it? Afraid to watch the video cause I don't want to spoil anything.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

Risk factions?

If you want to get super complicated, Heroes of might and magic franchise is like a board game that has sub board games in it. Civ or total war or any turn based 4x game is like that.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I thought Steam had been updated to work in offline mode without needing to be put into offline mode while online, but I've never been able to get it to work. It always tells me that there's no valid login credentials on my computer, and can't start in offline mode.

Is there something I need to enable to get it to work? Or is it still just weird about offline mode in general?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.