As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - Emulator, Part Four

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think I've figured out why I like this series of comics so much: Sincerity. It would be so easy to make something like this with calculated appeal, but like the Flash Gordon movie everything is presented earnestly and embraced whole heartedly.

Sincerity is awesome, yo.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Looks like he's gonna have to juuuump!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Also it's adorable.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I didn't catch that was Tycho's female daggerman at first because she's got Gabe's haircut. The dagger earrings tipped me off, though.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'll try this on for a bit.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    This is just so damn charming.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Of course daggermen have infinity daggers. That's why they're daggermen.

Duh.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Bangin'.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I really want to play in this game. It reminds me of my first RPG, run in middle school where I begged to be part of it (so I wasn't an outcast from the outcasts) and I got to play Samus Aran with a ruleset that to this day I am not sure on.. I think it was made up.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, I really want to play in this game. It reminds me of my first RPG, run in middle school where I begged to be part of it (so I wasn't an outcast from the outcasts) and I got to play Samus Aran with a ruleset that to this day I am not sure on.. I think it was made up.

The closest I got to experiencing anything like that was in highschool, we somehow managed to get a tabletop game club officially started in 10th grade. One of my friends, for our D&D campaign, managed to create for himself a "predator" character (as in, the aliens that fuck shit up).

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Holy shit, this is great.

I thought a Daggerman would just be a rogue. But it is a rogue with every piece of gear made of or containing a dagger. Love it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Infinity daggers?! Lil' Gabe's a truly wholesome and generous GM. Bless his little heart.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The Daggerman reminds me of Erika on Strip Search.

• Options
    JayeEmmJayeEmm New HampShireRegistered User regular
    I choose to believe that is the end of some type of loincloth between the warrior-jumper's legs, and is not actually... attached.

The daggerman's dagger-covered gear is infinity awesome.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Krispy Kreme reference?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Colt45Colt45 Registered User regular
    Every time I see more about this game I grow more ravenous in my desire, nay, my need to play it.

Maybe daggerman is an old colloquialism for their order from a bygone age that has sort of become their official name over time. Now they are all still called daggermen even though women are now not excluded from combat roles. Like how if a woman outranks you irl you still call her Sir. The idea being that ma'am is for civilians and denotes respect, but sir denotes that they are above you regardless of gender or even the branch of the military you both belong to.

• Options
    Infinity daggers?! Lil' Gabe's a truly wholesome and generous GM. Bless his little heart.

Tycho's probably screaming inside his head.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    My dm hates warrior-jumpers. Every damn dungeon has a low ceiling.

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    This made me smile -so- hard.

• Options
    rukh03rukh03 Anchorage, AlaskaRegistered User new member
    I have to say, in Penny Arcade's long history of awesome things, this is probably the most awesome thing!
    I am seriously impressed with Gabe The Younger for coming up with it, and even more impressed with the way Gabe is making a series about it.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Daggermen internally produce daggers with microfab units installed in their jerkins.

kinda like Starcraft Terran Marines and their ammo.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    I love that the Warrior-Jumper is all shiny, like he's oiled up or something. It's disturbing, but somehow appropriate.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    I really love this series. There's not an ounce of cynicism in it -- just pure joy in the acts of creating and playing. We don't need an in-universe explanation for things like why the Daggermen don't run out of daggers, because it's fun and Daggermen are awesome and when you get down to it, it really doesn't matter why.

Reminds me of how videogames used to be. Mario breaks blocks with his head and some blocks have mushrooms that slide around, and if you grab the mushroom before it runs away it makes you twice as tall. Why? Because it's fun and weird and awesome and why not?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I love dadcomics, but I have to say, as their kids are getting older it's getting kind of weird that Gabe and Tycho still look like they're 25.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Love this comic

Excellent word choice for the panels

Bangin'

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I love dadcomics, but I have to say, as their kids are getting older it's getting kind of weird that Gabe and Tycho still look like they're 25.

Gabe and Tycho can't age.

They have infinity youth.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Actually, I've noticed some subtle changes over the years (on top of art style change-ups). While not 50-looking, the characters are definitely showing some age when compared to earlier iterations.

But yes, still young.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Looks like he's gonna have to juuuump!

Today is alright for tonight
    Ridin' in a Corvette, and feelin' alright
    Alright for toniiiight!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Bangin'

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'll try this on for a bit.
    I'm jumpin' IN! Wraaugh!

Goose! on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Daggermen have real trouble getting through airport security.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Framling wrote: »

Daggermen ride the Warrior Jumper express.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    as long as they don't have any water bottles on them

• Options
    Funky StrongFunky Strong Registered User regular
    I love the capitalization on the dialogue. "I'm jumpin' IN!"

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Not only was this adorable I laughed really hard at both the first and last panels.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Framling wrote: »
    I'm imagining some kind of Bartholomew Cubbins type situation. He's desperately trying to rid himself of daggers as they keep passing the wand over. But there's always one more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

in_time.jpg

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I really do just love everything about this series. Count me among the ones who would like to actually see this made up in a mechanical sense for people to actually play.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    White MageWhite Mage Trained Magic Doctor Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm not going to lie, I think those may be some of my favorite rules for a pen and paper RPG. I feel it's every thing that a quick game with your friends should be. It only has two rules! And that's great! No having to argue with "that one guy" who skimmed through the book but now thinks he can boss your character around. Or having battles that last for six hours because no one can remember how their own characters work with all the special houserules they have applied. Plus I'd love to play as a daggerma'am

White Mage on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    If a Daggerman sits on the Throne of Swords, who cuts whom?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden