As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prime 2013 BYOC Information - [Sold Out!]

2»

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    How does the game organization work? Is it pretty much a free-for-all? Or are there sign up sheets or something? For example, I'd love to play through the Portal 2 multiplayer, or maybe try some Far Cry 3 co-op or something like that. But I feel like that'll be hard to do if the main method of soliciting interest is just tapping people on the shoulder.

Some organization occurs as a result of this thread, which is encouraged. On site coordination is a bit more organic and happens out of just making new friends who might be around you.

That said, @s7arbuck might have some ideas on how to make this process easier?

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    SHiZZAMSHiZZAM Registered User regular
    How does the game organization work? Is it pretty much a free-for-all? Or are there sign up sheets or something? For example, I'd love to play through the Portal 2 multiplayer, or maybe try some Far Cry 3 co-op or something like that. But I feel like that'll be hard to do if the main method of soliciting interest is just tapping people on the shoulder.

There's always been a BYOC Steam group in the past each year, which helps with organizing games somewhat as you can see what games others are in. We've also resorted to shouting out "ANYONE WANT TO PLAY L4D2?" in the past! :)

• Options
    SHiZZAMSHiZZAM Registered User regular
    Any word on when group seating will be going live? Is there a twitter account I can follow to be notified or should I just keep watching this thread?

• Options
    SHiZZAM wrote: »
    Any word on when group seating will be going live? Is there a twitter account I can follow to be notified or should I just keep watching this thread?

I'll be posting Group Seating sometime in late June. As for the twitter account, that's a real good question. Let me get back with you.

Vapok
  • Options
    ThranxThranx Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »
    To echo S7arbuck's previous comment, we have heard from a number of you regarding the way that the badge sales for BYOC are done now. I know it doesn't help to have me or S7arbuck say that your comments have been heard, but they have been.

If any badges become available, and I find out about it, I'll post here as soon as I can.

That's well and good, but the same complaint was made last year and the same thing happened. Last year the uprising was enough BYOC was moved into a bigger space and more seating was made available. What's it going to take to make the same thing happen this year?

• Options
    Thranx wrote: »
    That's well and good, but the same complaint was made last year and the same thing happened. Last year the uprising was enough BYOC was moved into a bigger space and more seating was made available. What's it going to take to make the same thing happen this year?

I have responded to you via private message. I'd like to continue moving forward with BYOC discussion and not stick on the badge sale discussion.

Vapok
  • Options
    Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    One thing I've noticed at past years of BYOC is that generally there are good organizational tools available (local Ventrilo or Mumble server, Steam Group, http://pax) but they're not always working before people arrive, and few people seem to know about and participate in these things. I would love to see these services brought online before the LAN room opens and then better advertised -- maybe a little flyer at each seat or a few announcements on the first day?

7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    ratzofftoyaratzofftoya San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Raptor007 wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed at past years of BYOC is that generally there are good organizational tools available (local Ventrilo or Mumble server, Steam Group, http://pax) but they're not always working before people arrive, and few people seem to know about and participate in these things. I would love to see these services brought online before the LAN room opens and then better advertised -- maybe a little flyer at each seat or a few announcements on the first day?

I think that's a great idea. Are there any organized tournaments/events, or all pick-up games? I think it'd be fun to have some more formal competition/cooperation thrown into the mix for those interested.

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I got a BYOC pass for this year too. So that will be cool. Sorry to hear you wont be the overlord of the realm of tech Big Red, you did an awesome job last year. I'm sure your replacement will do his/her best to fill your shoes.

Hope to see you all there!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    The new BYOC leader is S7arbuck and he did an amazing job and BYOC at east. And is improving very fast so BYOC at Prime will be even better.

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • Options
    Elmnator AKA ElmyElmnator AKA Elmy Registered User regular
    I have a couple questions. I bought 4 seats for 2 ppl. How do I transfer 2 seats to my buddys name? Also how do we pick seats?

• Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    I have a couple questions. I bought 4 seats for 2 ppl. How do I transfer 2 seats to my buddys name? Also how do we pick seats?

BYOC badges, much like the regular passes, aren't beholden to any single identity. So when you get them, just give two to your friend, and viola, they're transferred.

Only groups of 6 or more people can pre-select seats. Everyone else just picks available ones when they get to BYOC.

• Options
    Elmnator AKA ElmyElmnator AKA Elmy Registered User regular
    thanks for the response

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Vanus wrote: »

BYOC badges, much like the regular passes, aren't beholden to any single identity. So when you get them, just give two to your friend, and viola, they're transferred.

Only groups of 6 or more people can pre-select seats. Everyone else just picks available ones when they get to BYOC.

It should be noted that for the purposes of issues with badges and the receipt of them, badges will forever, always be in the name of the original purchaser and can not be transferred. However, yes, you can physically pass the badge to someone else, and that is fine. An example scenario, is if you didn't receive your BYOC badge in the mail. You will have to prove that you are the person that bought the badge, and even then, it's not for certain whether or not they'll grant a replacement badge. You'll have to plead your specific case to them.

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    Good to know, Vapok. Have any idea if the BYOC badges will be mailed with the regular badges this year?

• Options
    Vanus wrote: »
    Good to know, Vapok. Have any idea if the BYOC badges will be mailed with the regular badges this year?

My understanding is that BYOC badges will be mailed with the regular badges. If for some reason that becomes /not/ the case, we will let you know on this thread. (This happened at PAX East 2013).

Vapok
  • Options
    So... will BYOC be following the new hours? Close at midnight?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It is reasonable to assume that if pax ends at midnight, all of pax ends at midnight.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It is reasonable to assume that if pax ends at midnight, all of pax ends at midnight.

The Zerzhul is not wrong.

Vapok
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I would love to have a PAX Prime BYOC game of BFBC2!

Anyone Game?

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    S2000Gan wrote: »

Anyone Game?

Nah man, you've come to the wrong place if your looking for gamer's. :)

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Still no responses huh? :/

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular

I'll be posting Group Seating sometime in late June. As for the twitter account, that's a real good question. Let me get back with you.
    It's late June. Just checking in. Any news on the twitter account to follow?

Thanks!

vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    Still no responses huh? :/

Eh, there's not a lot of pre-planning that goes on. You should be able to find people to play with there.
    Alphonsis wrote: »

It's late June. Just checking in. Any news on the twitter account to follow?

Thanks!

Good question. Kinda looks like the @Prime_BYOC is compromised.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think some of the folks that run this are working on PAX Aus right now, so you may need to wait until after that for better updates. Just a theory.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Hey BYOCer's! Wanted to let you know that Prime planning is definitely underway and that we're looking forward to seeing everyone!

A couple housekeeping notes to pass along!

As everyone knows, I've been in charge of the PC Security area for about the past 6 PAX shows and you have seen my energetic face at the BYOC Registration desk. I am moving on from this role and providing more of a room wide (Freeplay, BYOC, Tournaments) managerial oversight to ensure that the entire room is a success as Deputy to the Room Manager.

Dreggor (you know him from East!) has been my deputy for the past few PAX East Shows and is making his debut appearance at PAX Prime taking over PC Security.

The biggest change though is the recreation of the BYOC Management team. Leading this charge is @Gamma and he is extremely excited. Gamma has run multiple large scale LAN Parties throughout the US and has a wealth of experience in organizing LAN Activities. He'll be taking over the BYOC Thread soon which will be stickied in place of this thread.

In addition, he'll be setting up a new BYOC Twitter and getting Group Seating started. I believe that more information should be coming out over the next week or two. He'll be getting a fair amount of help from me in order to achieve a smooth transition.

Last but not least, Pyro will be belting out the Bull Horn as PAX Prime's PC Room MC! His thunderous voice is more captivating than the songs of a thousand Sirens! (ok.. well.. maybe not).

Looking forward to another great year! If you have any questions outside of what has been stated thus far, please do not hesitate to post them here!

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    FOLKS! New Thread! Say Hi to @Gamma!!

> NEW BYOC THREAD STICKY

This thread will be closed. Geth, do your worst!

Vapok
This discussion has been closed.