Options

I decided not to let my inability to draw keep me from creating a webcomic any longer!

TravisWestTravisWest Registered User new member
I am aware of the rule: "If you can't draw, don't make a webcomic" and it is not without merit, but I also feel there's more to the creation of a comic than the artistic ability of its creator.

If i have a comic inside me to create, should I really not create it because I don't have artistic skills comparable to others? I think creating a comic is about having an idea inside you and wanting to share it with others, and if that's the case, shouldn't I then just express it the best way I can, even if the art is super-shitty? It may be shitty, but it still represents me.

Maybe I'll get better, maybe I'll make friends with an artist one day to collaborate, but in the meantime I am going to try and share what I have to share. After all, if someone hates it, they don't have to read tomorrow's comic right? And maybe I can still make someone smile, whatever lack of artistic merit my comic may possess.

I would welcome any thoughts on this philosophy of sharing being more important than how well I can draw, as well as any constructive criticism about the comic itself.

E4XZJAcCPFZZDxG4MdGkWpWr7iitOgtd9ynK_4gF9w4.png
5_775px.png
2_775px.png
9_775.png

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm confused. Are you not wanting art critique? This is the art critique forum. If you are wanting writing/story telling advice you maybe want to try the Writer's Block. But here is mostly just about art.

I think your philosophy reminds me a ton of myself four or five years ago when I made a few comic genesis stories. I had a ton of fun and don't regret those hours I spent producing comics that were pretty terrible art-wise, because I had fun doing it. Ultimately, thats what is most important. If you aren't having fun, why bother? If you are having fun, why care what people think?

Probably a better mindset would be making comics you like doing while getting better at your art at the same time. It takes a lot of work though.

• Options
    TravisWestTravisWest Registered User new member
    That's what i want to do. I want to get better, and more importantly I want to know HOW to get better. But I want to get better by DOING rather than learning to draw and THEN making comics. So yes, I am looking for art critique as much as I realize what I can produce now is a pretty loose interpretation of the word "art"

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    TravisWest wrote: »
    That's what i want to do. I want to get better, and more importantly I want to know HOW to get better. But I want to get better by DOING rather than learning to draw and THEN making comics. So yes, I am looking for art critique as much as I realize what I can produce now is a pretty loose interpretation of the word "art"

Look through "fun with a pencil" by Andrew loomis as well as "making comics" by Scott mccloud. I think those will get you started on your road to getting better at making comics.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Probably you should not focus on making your own thread at this level, and instead mosey over to the "tutorials, questions, etc" thread stickied at the top of the page. The Original post is full of useful information for how to get started with drawing and painting. We also have artist challenge and monthly enrichment threads for working on your skills.

Really: "draw every day" is the only magic bullet out there, though.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I actually really liked these jokes. Like a lot. Great art will really sell this strip man. Keep at it.

• Options
    KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    Hey it takes courage to put yourself out there. If you wait until you're completely satisfied with your art better prepare to wait till you're dead and your landlord finds stacks of drawings apartment. Keep sharing and practice every day. And I agree, read Making Comics by Scott McCloud. A stranger gave me that book when I was 13 and I still keep it for reference.