Options

In The News, with your host... um, just uh, actually just read the stories.

2»

Posts

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    for my thoughts on these matters please consult my sig image's alt text

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    for my thoughts on these matters please consult my sig image's alt text

    i don't speak Nerd

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    now that's just not true

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    God so much awful news lately. on a brighter note I read an article the other day about a 3d printer they think can be used to create living human organs.

  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Nikolai wrote: »

    Why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to place a old folks home and a school next to a fertilizer plant?

    Sorry if that is callous, but... thats just strange.

    maybe because of fertility being symbolic of the circle of life and whatnot

    balerbower on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    3d printing is gonna obsolete the idea of gun control I tell you what

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    3d printing is gonna obsolete the idea of gun control I tell you what

    it is definitely going to force the global legal systems to adjust to how they interact with the internet

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    the concept of 3d printing has terrifying potential applications in general really

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    3d printing is gonna obsolete the idea of gun control I tell you what

    They'll have to be a big step forward in technology first to get materials that can handle more than a single shot.

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    the concept of 3d printing has terrifying potential applications in general really

    and also amazing ones

  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    would you download a car??

  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I think I saw a 3D printed gun that was more than capable of doing that, Rolo. The thing is though, 3D printing cuts out the massive time cost of manufacturing. If it doesn't work, order some other kind of metal or plastic and go back to the drawing board.

    nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    printing all sorts of weird-shaped dildos

    broken image link
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    printing all sorts of weird-shaped dildos

    and what's gonna happen to the dildo sculptors huh

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Chocolate guns, for delicious murders.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    i support whatever allows me to download pizzas

  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I'll only support 3D printers if they allowed me to print a robot that would beat up pip

    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    Zandracon wrote: »
    would you download a car??

    I would but it would cost too much to print out anyway

    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I'll only support 3D printers if they allowed me to print a robot that would beat up pip

    you ain't need to print a robot for that just imagine how many people would do it for free

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    printing all sorts of weird-shaped dildos

    and what's gonna happen to the dildo sculptors huh

    Sir, the machines have been godemichetaged!

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    I think I saw a 3D printed gun that was more than capable of doing that, Rolo. The thing is though, 3D printing cuts out the massive time cost of manufacturing. If it doesn't work, order some other kind of metal or plastic and go back to the drawing board.

    Difficult to 3D print with metals that would be suitable for a gun, is the problem. Especially on a home-scale fab.

    http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-atf-is-unconvinced-3d-guns-compare-to-real-thing



  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    i also support anything that lets me download robots

  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    I think I saw a 3D printed gun that was more than capable of doing that, Rolo. The thing is though, 3D printing cuts out the massive time cost of manufacturing. If it doesn't work, order some other kind of metal or plastic and go back to the drawing board.

    Difficult to 3D print with metals that would be suitable for a gun, is the problem. Especially on a home-scale fab.

    http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-atf-is-unconvinced-3d-guns-compare-to-real-thing
    Not for long. I'm pessimistic people will come up with a sensible plan to deal with it, especially if they want to race against the clock to stop this kind of progress.

    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    print feline supplement 74

  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »
    is there any occupation more evil than to lobby for the arms industry

    how do you live with yourself

    The tobacco industry?

  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Oh my god Colbert Reports doing a bit on Bitcoins

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    ucHUCdQ.jpg

    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    I think I saw a 3D printed gun that was more than capable of doing that, Rolo. The thing is though, 3D printing cuts out the massive time cost of manufacturing. If it doesn't work, order some other kind of metal or plastic and go back to the drawing board.

    Difficult to 3D print with metals that would be suitable for a gun, is the problem. Especially on a home-scale fab.

    http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-atf-is-unconvinced-3d-guns-compare-to-real-thing
    Not for long. I'm pessimistic people will come up with a sensible plan to deal with it, especially if they want to race against the clock to stop this kind of progress.

    Ehh, given how easy it is to get guns already via legal/illegal means, I'm not sure it will ever be a big thing for criminals to spend the time and money to fab a printed gun.

    I agree the technology will evolve and get better, but I'm not sure it's something anyone will have to worry about in the immediate future.

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Why don't you just 3D print the world into a bottle

  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    I think I saw a 3D printed gun that was more than capable of doing that, Rolo. The thing is though, 3D printing cuts out the massive time cost of manufacturing. If it doesn't work, order some other kind of metal or plastic and go back to the drawing board.

    Difficult to 3D print with metals that would be suitable for a gun, is the problem. Especially on a home-scale fab.

    http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-atf-is-unconvinced-3d-guns-compare-to-real-thing
    Not for long. I'm pessimistic people will come up with a sensible plan to deal with it, especially if they want to race against the clock to stop this kind of progress.

    Ehh, given how easy it is to get guns already via legal/illegal means, I'm not sure it will ever be a big thing for criminals to spend the time and money to fab a printed gun.

    I agree the technology will evolve and get better, but I'm not sure it's something anyone will have to worry about in the immediate future.

    I agree in places like the US. No one is ever outlawing guns here. Places like the UK where you can basically only get a gun if you're a registered hunter, I can see a market there. A lot easier than smuggling guns past customs.

    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Oh my god Colbert Reports doing a bit on Bitcoins

    what's he saying about it

  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    3D printers aren't even that new, it's weird how they're getting so much attention recently.

    The first time I saw one was 11 years ago on a college tour.

    I get that they're finally becoming "affordable" at a few grand for the printer and some absurd amount for the polymer, but they're by no means a new technology.

  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    so there is a HUGE storm coming in.

    I hope lightning doesn't knock out my power.

  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    So a dude could scan his junk, and then upload the file on the internet so anyone with a 3D printer could do as they wished with his junk?

    I wonder how long until people start trying to turn a profit on that. Washed-up celebrity sells his penis file for $400 a download. Another celebrity gets their computer hacked and the hackers release the 3D scans of themselves they were keeping on their PC for personal use. New 3D porn allows buyers access to a downloadable printable copy. Etc.
    To be fair, using a 3D printer for porn was the second thing I thought of.

    The first was people copying my house keys and then uploading that onto the internet, and how best to avoid that beyond never letting anyone see my keys ever (or house locks upgrading to have chips like car keys do now).

  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    I don't understand how people can think our government's structure is awesome (or even substantially democratic) when ~10% of the population and a minority of Senators can veto even the most watered down of laws.

  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    sorry doggs... this is basically the definition of a megathread

    shit happens, make a thread about it, but we don't need a thread for "all the news ever"

    8406wWN.png
This discussion has been closed.