Options

[Soul Sacrifice] - Out now in stores and on PSN!

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »
    the area effect elemental spells are really good for large bosses - they'll always be in the area of effect and it forces elemental hells extremely quickly. very easy to stunlock them like that.

of course, most bosses aren't huge and slow, save for a few notables.

Wonder if I could actually get Cyclops to freeze like that.

Even using Freeze Amp +30% and Tri frost spells, I can't get that fucker to fully freeze over.

that's how I freeze him - he spends a lot of time in one place (doing the thing where he hammers on his spear) so you can get the full duration on him. it's much easier that way.

when do you guys (the ones who get online) typically play? seem to always just miss people when I get on. I want to try out this offering that turns me into a juggernaut but you need another sorcerer to aid in casting.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    There's a couple monsters that have no element weaknesses, yes.

Though they still have corrupted bits you can hack off.

Now, the minotaur, I have no idea what that fucking guy's deal is.
    He has an elemental weakness, but he heals or is invincible until you blow up his hammer or something?

I'm not entirely sure. I got him, but I'm hopeful there was a faster way of doing it.

Yes, you ideally want to use mortar attacks like the eggs.
    Get its axe a few times with mortar attacks and it flies across the room, and the Minotaur will spend some time looking around for it while you can start damaging the axe before it picks it up and starts channeling the heal again.

When you break the axe, it stops healing.

SightTDW wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about how elemental effects work. I was fighting Cerberus last night, and I was able to freeze individual cursed parts, but not actually freeze him. I don't know what benefit there is to partial freezing.

The partial effects are really just a visual aid to determine how close they are to fully stunning.

It also helps a lot on Wyvern
    When it splits to do its illusions, a partially frozen Wyvern will still have ice on it, while the illusions do not.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Also, looks like there's something of a DLC schedule floating abouts.
    jmJztQ1.jpeg

• Options
    Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Haha. Oh my god. I've been playing with one palette for so long. "I'll just switch when I want something else" I says. "It doesn't take that long" I says. So many quests dragged out for no good reason.

Cucco Leader on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Also, looks like there's something of a DLC schedule floating abouts.
    jmJztQ1.jpeg

Was reading that these will all be free updates, as well.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yeah they are free DLC Packs.

That is a huge advertisement for Soul Sacrifice up in the Vita Sections of Gamestop stores. The top even specifies they will be Free.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    This game is awesome. Thanks for putting this on my radar.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    the area effect elemental spells are really good for large bosses - they'll always be in the area of effect and it forces elemental hells extremely quickly. very easy to stunlock them like that.

of course, most bosses aren't huge and slow, save for a few notables.

Wonder if I could actually get Cyclops to freeze like that.

Even using Freeze Amp +30% and Tri frost spells, I can't get that fucker to fully freeze over.

that's how I freeze him - he spends a lot of time in one place (doing the thing where he hammers on his spear) so you can get the full duration on him. it's much easier that way.

when do you guys (the ones who get online) typically play? seem to always just miss people when I get on. I want to try out this offering that turns me into a juggernaut but you need another sorcerer to aid in casting.
    Sorry Frei, I keep logging in and watching Dota 2 vids or playing Wargame ALB beta multi when i get home. I'll be on post 1730hr local time which is +12 GMT.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I hate it when some AI partners sacrifice you even if you ask to be saved. It's like, I got this guy to half health in a few seconds, gimme some more time and I'll kill him, but noooo, you gotta sac me and then run away and die uselessly because you are terrible. Ugh.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I hate it when some AI partners sacrifice you even if you ask to be saved. It's like, I got this guy to half health in a few seconds, gimme some more time and I'll kill him, but noooo, you gotta sac me and then run away and die uselessly because you are terrible. Ugh.

That's my only substantial complaint thus far. That said, it's a really big one.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

That's my only substantial complaint thus far. That said, it's a really big one.

I've been flying solo for the entire game. I found the AI to be more of a hindrance due to the bonuses the bosses receive compared to their damage output. I take them for pacts where there are no bosses but nobody is dying for those missions. I'm finally starting to get stuck on some of the Gemini missions so I have a reason to jump online soon! (I would have done it sooner but I have a crippling fear of joining online unprepared and just bringing down a team rather than helping). I'm at 20 divine / 50 magic, is that about normal for doing the online missions around Avalon Pacts VII?

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I'm considering bringing AI allies just to sac them from now on really. I got 1k+ lacrima, so can res them anyway without any real issues. They are rather useful for giving bosses a target when I have to refill my offerings. And I know it thematically makes sense for dark arm people to sac me when I go down, but it doesn't make it less stupid!

And where do I see people online for the vita? Never used the multiplayer aspect of either my ps3 or my vita at all, so would be nice to know how to see any of that.

• Options

I've been flying solo for the entire game. I found the AI to be more of a hindrance due to the bonuses the bosses receive compared to their damage output. I take them for pacts where there are no bosses but nobody is dying for those missions. I'm finally starting to get stuck on some of the Gemini missions so I have a reason to jump online soon! (I would have done it sooner but I have a crippling fear of joining online unprepared and just bringing down a team rather than helping). I'm at 20 divine / 50 magic, is that about normal for doing the online missions around Avalon Pacts VII?

I take the ones that have big healing spells(like Slime Oozes) and defensive armors to Gemini missions in order to stall one of the Gemini bosses while I focus on the other one.

With the exception of bosses that have instant kill bursty moves like Jack O Lanterns, they tend to do very well for themselves in not dying. They don't do any damage really, but they keep the second boss off my ass.

On singular bosses I just remove them entirely and go solo, except where I want them to die. (i.e. I need Warlock/Witch essences or some other dumb thing like that, I'll take them to a werewolf/cerb fight and let them die)

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It appears to just be an indicator as to how far along you are toward totally freezing him.

Side note, partially freezing Wyvern is really great because when he splits into multiple shadows only the "real" one will have the ice chunks on him.

Actually, you don't even need to do this. The real wyvern will always have a more prominent shadow on the ground.

I'm still probably never going to do that double wyvern fight in Avalon.

I'm in kind of a weird place right now. I'm 17/57. I mostly use arms and explosives. I probably could beat magusar with a little more effort, but I got annoyed at not being able to retry it instantly--you always have to sit trough a couple loading screens, and some of the cutscenes are unskippable. Even if you make it to the second phase of the fight, there's no checkpoint or anything. You have to go through the entire hutzpah all over again. It's like it was meant to be beaten on the first try.

So i try to grind up a bit. I try to get some jackolantern se+s and se++s for the arm sigils, but even after 30 tries at the mission with 2 jacks in Avalon chapter IV I never get anything higher than the base soul SE. Within the same mission, I've gotten plenty of Orc se+ and se++, so I would think the threshold is high enough. The only other jack mission with a higher star rating is the jack/kraken one in the next chapter, but the kraken's slow time aoe makes that one a pain in the ass sometimes.

I dont't know, I'm getting kind of burned out with it.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    I'm in kind of a weird place right now. I'm 17/57. I mostly use arms and explosives. I probably could beat magusar with a little more effort, but I got annoyed at not being able to retry it instantly--you always have to sit trough a couple loading screens, and some of the cutscenes are unskippable. Even if you make it to the second phase of the fight, there's no checkpoint or anything. You have to go through the entire hutzpah all over again. It's like it was meant to be beaten on the first try.
    Golems are brutally effective on both Magusar forms.

Also, dragon form Magusar, hug the right side of his right foot at all times. That appears to be a blind spot that he has trouble hitting when he's grounded.

• Options
    A note about allies

Dark Arm allies will always sacrifice you, Divine Arm allies will always save you, and Neutral Arm allies will follow your instructions

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    A note about allies

Dark Arm allies will always sacrifice you, Divine Arm allies will always save you, and Neutral Arm allies will follow your instructions
    I want to kick my Divine Ally right in the box when I sacrifice myself to quickly take down an assassin, and she SAVES them starting the fight over...

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Whoever decided that dying in the final battle should result in a quote, the credits, then kicking you back to the title screen should be fucking flogged.

And then to restart the fight you have to go through a bunch of scenes all over again.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Oh my god I think it is actually faster to quit out of the game when you die in the final battle.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    So,

Early game spoiler:
    Has anyone tried time paradoxing Magasaur? By which I mean sacrificing him early on in the story?

programjunkie on
  • Options
    Got the final boss down to yellow a couple times before I got fed up with the incredibly obnoxious "spit you out to the title screen when you die"

Now I'm just going to grind levels until I can faceroll him

This is what your awful design decision has done to me, Marvelous

• Options
    just a small heads up, when fighting Ilecebra, if you activate mind's eye when she's charging up her petrify attack, it will completely nullify it. this was a godsend for me because that attack being able to hit you everywhere was what was getting me killed every time.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    just a small heads up, when fighting Ilecebra, if you activate mind's eye when she's charging up her petrify attack, it will completely nullify it. this was a godsend for me because that attack being able to hit you everywhere was what was getting me killed every time.

If you have a shield up, it also blocks it.

Both of these also apply to the Griffon's blinding flash.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    What about kraken/hydra? Is there some kind of similar defense against their stuff?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    What about kraken/hydra? Is there some kind of similar defense against their stuff?

I would like to know this as well. That underwater thing REALLY sucks.

• Options

Ice Amulet.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Ice Amulet.

Interesting. I have ignored amulets completely up til now. Looks like have to experiment with them!

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So what is the game like? From the trailer I watched I awhile back it looks like it might have game play similar to Monster Hunter or God Eater Burst.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's mostly in the same genre of hunting bosses/small monsters, but is focused more on short fights and getting good scores for more rewards. Lots of grinding to gain levels and get spells to fuse together for new spells or just upgrading existing ones. Right now, I play it more for the story (which is great) than the gameplay.

Well actually right now I'm not playing 'cause I forgot my charger at my GF's.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    aside from being in the same vague genre, it couldn't be any more different from Monster Hunter. there's a good demo out, so play it yourself and see if you like it.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    So what is the game like? From the trailer I watched I awhile back it looks like it might have game play similar to Monster Hunter or God Eater Burst.

It is almost exactly God Eater Burst.

If you have played this, then you know exactly what you're getting into. Just with really weird bullets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

It is almost exactly God Eater Burst.

If you have played this, then you know exactly what you're getting into. Just with really weird bullets.

Are the fights as painfully slow? I really liked God Eater Burst but I really hated some of the fights in the game. It felt like they dragged on for ages.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    It sounds obvious, but it depends on how much damage you can do.

Like, if you play the single player without doing any side content you'll hit a point where due to a lack of Magic levels and higher rank offerings battles will start to take a long time just because you're not doing a lot of damage.

• Options
    Also to add, its more fun, too. The story is also pretty damn great. Mechnically its very similar but its just a flat out better game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sounds really cool. I'll definitely pick this up soon then. Thanks for the info. For now I'll probably check out the demo and end up buying the game sooner than planned.

• Options
    Fights are pretty quick. I imagine if you go full nova (all magic level, +ATK / -DEF sigil) you can beat any boss in the game barring, say, Magusar, within a couple minutes. Well, assuming you mange to duck and weave the one hit kills they'll most certainly be able to get on you.

Man, defense abilities are ridiculously good in this game. I'm sure it is possible, but I cannot imagine beating Cerebus without a shield.

Also, to answer my own question:
    Sadly, you cannot paradox gank Magusar. The game doesn't have a special case for it.

• Options
    So, wow, yeah. Those fang skills that give you the breath attack sure do catch enemies on fire/freeze/shock them amazingly fast if you can land it. Damn near murdered the elf queen thing by catching her on fire, ice tri'ing her, then using the flamethrower thing to catch her on fire again by the time she stood back up. Then knocking her over with ice tri.

I did it about 4 times in a row and she went from full health to orange within about a minute.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Same goes for the Terrain class of spells. Unfortunately the Elven Queen is a bad example due to all the flying but for ground based enemies? Unbelievable. Throw down a puddle of the bosses weakness and they'll be stunned within seconds.

• Options
    What is this online pass I'm seeing for $9.99? Do I really have to pay to play online?

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    If you don't buy it new. New copies come with a code for that. It's a fairly common practice nowadays for games with at least a decent multiplayer component.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!