As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SchlitzKrieg 2013 Beer Tour [Photos and Wrapup]

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Also, two of the six Ballard SchlitzKrieg stops are on the list.

Mind you, this is a single food critic's list, but still!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    vespachica
    mdjenkins wrote: »
    I'm torn on what to do...

I'm in Oakland until the Monday before PAX. I then start a leisurely multiple day drive up the coast. Multiple days, so I can safely sample some micro brews on my way to Portland. Wednesday night in Portland for food and more beer. Thursday was to be a short 3 hour trip from Portland to Seattle. To make the 9:30am meet up I would need to leave Portland around 6am. That is a horrible hour to be driving. What if I met up with the tour mid stream?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for microbreweries that are not to be missed between Oakland and Seattle?

Th Green Dragon taproom in Portland is pretty amazing. Not a brewery, but a massive taproom.

Stop by the Rogue Brewery while you're down there.

Any Washington breweries South of Seattle will be closed the morning that you drive up. On the way back , there will be plenty - check out the link in the OP for a map of all the breweries in the State.

I highly recommend Dick's Brewing in Centralia. Their cream stout is a thing of beauty.

Okay, teams are up! Check the second post to make sure you've got a team and that it's correct.

• ZarcronZarcron Registered User regular
    So excited! Just bought my ticket! Can't wait to meet you all :)

There hasn't been very much interest in the Kitsap tour so far. It's unfortunate, as that's absolutely the best place to go drink beer these days.

In order to make sure we've got enough interest, I'm going to cut off Kitsap registration on the 15th of August. If we don't have enough folks to fill a short bus, then the Sunday Kitsap tour will unfortunately have to be cancelled. If it does get cancelled, anyone who signed up will have 100% of their money refunded.

If you've been thinking about the Kitsap tour, or weighed in that you'd like to go on it but haven't signed up yet, be sure to post here so that I have a good idea of how many folks we'll be talking about.

• dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    Cmon kitsap folks, its beer AND pig!!

steam_sig.png
  • RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Wow people really don't like Sticklebract.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    I really wanted to do Kitsap but I don't wanna skip PAX Sunday!

Rhiley wrote: »
    Wow people really don't like Sticklebract.

I don't know if I've ever had it, but it's just a fun little word to say.

Sticklebract. Sticklebract. Sticklebract.

So we're 3 days away from the Kitsap signup cutoff, and only 7 of 30 tickets have been bought.

I'm going to look in to the cost of a 15 passenger bus or van with a driver, but it's doubtful that we'll be able to put it together without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

I'll do my best but at this point it's looking more likely that it will be cancelled.

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    tempted by the Kitsap tour... since I can't make the Thursday one

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
    edited August 2013
    Can they deck the cycle saloon out like this for our tour? Maybe with good beer though instead.

murdoconline.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/budweiser-tank.jpg

Rhiley on
    2013 Prime Omeganaut
    LexiconGrrl
  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    The Kitsap portion was my favorite part of the tour last year. But I don't want to give up a day of PAX to do it since it's an all day thing... If you end up doing anything that Tuesday after PAX though, I'd be interested.

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
    I'm calling it. Kitsap Sunday is cancelled. Refunds will go out today. Sorry guys - there just isn't enough interest to make it financially viable.

We may decide to do something more low-key and informal on Tuesday, and will keep this thread updated if so.

vespachicapeetsnack
  • Baka AlBaka Al Registered User regular
    Well, sucks that Kitsap is cancelled, but thanks for the speedy refund.

If looking at doing something on Tuesday, would hitting Chuck's Hop Shop be an idea?
    I was looking at heading there Tuesday if Kitsap had been cancelled (need to get some more Humulo Nimbus!)

Baka Al wrote: »
    Well, sucks that Kitsap is cancelled, but thanks for the speedy refund.

If looking at doing something on Tuesday, would hitting Chuck's Hop Shop be an idea?
    I was looking at heading there Tuesday if Kitsap had been cancelled (need to get some more Humulo Nimbus!)

Chuck's is great, and they currently have Humulo Nimbus on tap. There might be a mini-Trek out to Poulsbo on Tuesday but planning is still in the works. A stop by Chuck's on the way back wouldn't be inconvenient.

Ok, a mini trek out to Poulsbo sounds great (hope Sound is in that location)
    A stop a Chucks sounded like a no-fuss post PAX beer geek gathering (assuming we didn't insta crowd it..)
    And draft Humlo would be fantastic, but hope to grab bottles, otherwise might have a few angry bar staff to deal with as offered the staff at my local Brewdog at least a bottle of it to sample..

Hey! There's Still Tickets if anyone wants to sign up! Tshirt sales have closed, in order to give the printer time to produce them, but tour tickets and pint glasses are still available.

Teams have also been updated in the second post. If you don't like your team assignment go ahead and post to this thread to see if anyone will switch with you. Keeping balanced numbers between the teams and all that...

Sticklebract was removed: it's gonna be a 3-team challenge. Because everyone's a winner at Beer.

• CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    Does anyone want to switch places with me? I'm in Saaz and would like to be in Fuggles; my friend signed up without telling me and now we're on different teams.

Well, what's wrong with a little competition between friends?

Hey Lexi, I was looking at the teams and I think I am on there but my name is missedspelled ... sorry don't want to be picky want to make sure I am there :) your organization is awesome i would never be able to do this!

edited August 2013
    Zarcron wrote: »
    Hey Lexi, I was looking at the teams and I think I am on there but my name is missedspelled ... sorry don't want to be picky want to make sure I am there :) your organization is awesome i would never be able to do this!

What? HOW DARE YOU EXPECT YOUR NAME TO BE SPELLED CORRECTLY, CARCRON!?

LexiconGrrl on
    lol :P Thanks, Your the best can't wait to meet you all !!!!

Informal Kitsap Tour:

FACTS:
    My only day off is Tuesday.
    As a local, I have a car.

@Jobiwankenobi and I would like to go do an informal Kitsap tour either the Tuesday before or after PAX. There are 3 seats available in the car unless another local joins us who'd like to add a vehicle.

This would be a chip-in-for-gas-and-ferry-buy-your-own-beer kinda day. We'd probably head out around 1:00 and get back around 6 or 8-ish, depending on how much fun (or lack thereof) that's happening.

Any interest in joining us? If so, which day?

@Vespachica - any interest in joining us after work? The breweries don't open until 2 or 3 on Tuesdays.

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    The Tuesday after PAX is weird. If everyone is meeting up at 1 and going straight to the peninsula it may not be feasible to get over there and back by the thing I have to do at 4:30pm. If, however, you go to Chuck's Hop Shop first I could join for a beer before you guys go on to the peninsula.

Basically, I need to be back in Shoreline by 4:30 in order to accomplish what I need to do that evening. :?

The Tuesday before PAX (this coming Tuesday) is even tighter since I have to work that day.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

Lexi, I will def be down for that kinda tour on the Tuesday after PAX.
    Unfortunately, I'm arriving the Tuesday before PAX, and well, I really would not be a good guest after about 18 hours of travelling & clearing immigration...

Yeah, a lot of folks are travelling on Tuesdays. It's a weird alignment of stars.

@MagnusCarter and @Baka_AI are both long-time PAX beer buddies who travel all the way from the UK and who'd really love to go, but neither of them can go on the same Tuesday due to travel plans.

I'm personally more inclined to go the Tuesday before PAX because I know I'll be wiped out afterward and I'd rather enjoy the day - especially if I'm taking turns driving. @Baka_AI if we decide to go on a day you can't make it, it would make me very sad but since you've been to Kitsap already, it would give someone else a chance to experience it.

vespachica wrote: »
    The Tuesday before PAX (this coming Tuesday) is even tighter since I have to work that day.

So my Cunning Plan was that if we went the Tuesday before, you could hop on a ferry and come over after work for a couple of hours. If you can get off work around 3:30 or 4, you'd be on the Peninsula around 5-ish if the ferry timed out well. It'd be Happy Hour in Poulsbo! Maybe Jeff can find you some lutefisk to go with your beer.

If you needed to walk on the ferry, we could plan to be in Poulsbo around that time and I could zip up to Kingston to grab you. It's only a 12.5 minute drive. As you know. ;)

Yeah, except I still have Tuesday evening commitments which is totally lame but necessary. :cry:

ufq9gj8383nh.png

edited August 2013
    vespachica wrote: »
    Yeah, except I still have Tuesday evening commitments which is totally lame but necessary. :cry:

Well, it was a valiant effort. We'll miss you.

LexiconGrrl on
    I know. I will miss you guys also! And the Kitsap beers. Mmmm...beeeeeeer...

ufq9gj8383nh.png

So bad news on the Ballard Tour: Bad Jimmy's has run into some problems and their opening has been delayed, so they're off the tour. I'm scrambling to find another brewery to fill and will update shortly.

Okay, so I know I said 'no big breweries' but...

Hales Ales is a solid local brew with a long history in Seattle. They're also immediately across the street from the cancelled Bad Jimmy's stop, and they'll open for us at 10:00 AM. So the tour has been changed to start at Hales instead.

vespachica
    D'oh

2013 Prime Omeganaut
    edited August 2013
    Okay, everyone who is signed up so far should have gotten an email tonight with directions for the morning of the tour.

If you didn't get it, please check your spam folder. If you still didn't get it, send me a PM and I'll forward you the details via forum PM.

LexiconGrrl on
    edited August 2013
    Hales is big* but they are good people (IMO) and make decent beer.

*big relative to the micro breweries we frequent on this tour

vespachica on
    ufq9gj8383nh.png

LexiconGrrl
    We're gonna go out to Kitsap this coming Tuesday, the 27th. There's still a seat in the car available if anybody wants it.

Okay, everyone who is signed up so far should have gotten an email tonight with directions for the morning of the tour.

If you didn't get it, please check your spam folder. If you still didn't get it, send me a PM and I'll forward you the details via forum PM.

We're meeting at Base Camp in Ballard at 9:30 AM. You can travel with the group from downtown if you want.

There's also a breakfast meetup beforehand at the Athenian for you early birds.

Are there any Schlitzkriegiers on twitter by any chance? I need to follow more people.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
    For your edification and planning, I present:

THE TOUR ROUTE.

SchlitzKrieg_2013_Ballard.png