The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - The Merch

• DashXeroDashXero Registered User regular
    This is gonna be good. It's like a showdown. Both contestants seem hungry, judging by the promo cuts. Which is really refreshing given that we haven't seen anything of the sort out of Maki to date. Can't wait to see what they can do.

emarecksaykayfraggy
  • AurichAurich Registered User regular
    Ooooh lawd. That was good entertainment. I really liked the way Monica's decision process was edited. Khoo and Brian (is that his name?) were amusing during what would have been a dry activity for most people. And I am dying to see this elimination. I'm not even sure why. Amy and Maki both seem like fighters. I think there might actually be blood.

emarecksaykayzerzhulfullofgracefraggyelectricsheep
  • escape908escape908 Engineer Westbury, NYRegistered User regular
    Maki and Amy, nuuuuuuuuuuu! :O My East Coast crew! :( This is all lose. Sad panda. :(

emarecksaykaythere'saforum?KoopahTroopahfraggyMKF36EEvermourn
  • djlowballerdjlowballer Registered User regular
    I put my money on an easy snipe for Maki in the elimination and continued mystery regarding the meaning of the Redraw Ticket

• emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    I just watched it all again, and ugh. Abby is a zombie while the judges are talking. So hard to watch. You can just tell in her mind she's waiting for them to rip her a new one. She's just terrified and about to burst into tears. As soon as they say her name she's just "okay, here it comes". It doesn't even seem to register for the longest time as they're complementing her. She's not really sure what's going on, and then even when she gives the thumbs up once she knows she's been praised she's still so shell-shocked.

All of them look really tired, though. Very little reaction from any of them while the judges are talking. Everyone is super nervous. This has clearly gotten very real for all of them as their numbers dwindle. On the other hand, maybe they're just very intimidated by Khoo. I really do wonder how much sleep they're all getting, though.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    Sandra SnanJoshEckfraggy
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    I see Amy is smiling and laughing in the elimination clip. Have we seen that side of Amy at all yet? Sad, because in that short time she looks like a much more interesting and fun person than the emotionless Amy we've seen so far. If a person is naturally serious that is fine, not everyone can be emotive; but if Amy has been suppressing her true personality this whole time, then that is regretful for all us and her most of all. I wish she had just enjoyed the entire experience from the start and shown us who she really is.

Way to go Monica. She is such a fabulous person, such a fun little ball of sunshine. You could see she was working industriously at her table and as professional as Katie is, I was glad Monica took it away. As the youngest competitors, Abby and Monica are always gasping to keep up with the more experienced artists. It was wonderful to see them both shine when they each expect so little of themselves in these competitions.

emarecksaykaywn.mikefraggy
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    Endiku: emotionless? Seriousness is also an emotion. I dig Amy now, I’ve completely turned my coat on that topic.

Spman2099wn.mikeOldSchoolChickenfraggyMichyGearyCambiataRaphDS
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    This is perhaps the best competitive challenge episode yet. Lots of emotions were on display as the group becomes closer-knit over time, and anxieties are also at an all-time high due to the level of competition. Katie wisely points out that at this stage of the show, there are no more clear competition entries that lag behind the others. Robert and Brian were also extremely entertaining with their banter, and I enjoyed their reaction to Abby's innovative book display the most: "You're fired."

emarecksaykayescape908
  • spillfishspillfish Registered User regular
    So my favorite and my least favorite are facing off... I have never been so nervous about people I've never met.

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    @makitori May the beard be with you.

Look at this gem he posted about playoff beards. @AmyTFalcone is a swell young lady, but come on, she barely has any stubble whatsoever.

2013-04-17-playoff.jpg

Of course the Amy and Erika bonding has been a highlight of the show, so either way, we're all going to suffer this elimination.

tumblr_ml147goQ3c1qh86m9o5_250.gif

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
    emarecksaykayKoopahTroopahmakitoriescape908Rachel_From_Portland
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    actually, interesting that Jerry's making a negative comment in the 'next time on' - although it could be leading up to 'but it's still brilliant', I guess - because I would expect a Lexxy/Tavis style 'both of these are too good' to happen. I suspect if someone is going to be overthinking, though, it's more likely to be Amy? She cares so much and pays attention to detail, so it seems more likely than 'forgot the client colour palette' Maki. darn it, can't wait for Tuesday.

• there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    All right, this time she's really done for :( I got the same feeling the round before, it turned out differently, but this time...

I hope the redraw ticket doesn't prove to be the decisive factor, at least.

• Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    Erika is so graceful. She is just loving all of her time in the house and all of the other artists.

rawr
    emarecksaykayfraggyenderandrewCambiata
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I would be sad to see either Amy or Maki go, but I feel like it's going to be a really good episode next week.

And Khoo is funny as hell.

emarecksaykayescape908
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    And Khoo is funny as hell.

The amazement over the Abby book stand was unexpected and wholly enjoyable.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
    emarecksaykayOldSchoolChickenfraggyCambiatatapeslinger
  • ControContro Cartoonist Registered User new member
    If Maki loses, Tavis will be the only male there in a house full of amazons!

escape908
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Yup. I like it better when you get to see who's going up for the elimination.

I thought it was a little odd that we didn't get to see what Monica said when she was actually talking to the contestants, although I guess it was probably the same thing but quieter. It still seemed odd.

"Oh god... this is what you're gonna show people!" Love it.

And lastly: It's a shame that there's really no point speculating about who's winning this, because unless there's about to be a major reveal, Maki is a dude and Amy is not. :D

I'll have to think hard about who I want to win. I'm not sure yet. I like them both for different reasons. There is the issue that I don't think Amy's webcomic would make a lot of sense as a Penny-Arcade related brand... it's so intense and personal and real. I have a lot of trouble imagining them linking to it or selling her stuff from their shop (things which they did not promise, but I imagine they would like to do).

emarecksaykayfraggy
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    I laugh at the people who thought that the format of the show would encourage challenge winners to play "cutthroat" and always pick the strongest artists to send to elimination. As I've said all along, forcing them to explain their decisions face-to-face almost ensures that they actually try to be as "fair" as possible. The self-preservation instinct works very differently when aren't voting anonymously like on other reality shows. The only catch is when the judges are providing negative critiques for the winner to fall back on; fortunately they rectified that situation in this episode. I hope they keep that up.

• ArenowArenow Registered User regular
    The judges deciding not to point out the weak spots of each booth was... surprising to say the least. But at the same time I guess we couldn't expect less from Khoo. Let the booths speak for themselves!

Amy and Maki. Damn. They both deserved it, but waoh. Only thing I can say, I hope we get a couple of great comic strips from next tuesday.

Also, very glad to see that they dropped the "cliffhanger" editing strategy. Kudos to BionicPants!

steam_sig.png
    emarecksaykaySandrockcstmit-hobbit
  • OckhamsFollyOckhamsFolly Registered User regular
    Aw, damn. I dunno who to root for. I really like sci-ence. It's my favorite of the existing webcomics by any of the original artists. But I just don't think Maki needs this like Amy does, and I think she would make a more optimal use of the grand prize. Maki needed the exposure more than anything else, IMO, and is doing a lot of the stuff that he really wants to be doing. Amy, otoh, is looking for a total life change. And I think she deserves the prize as much as anyone- she's artistically talented, business inclined, and quick thinking on her feet. But I do like Maki's comic a little better. Damn.

Also, as someone who's not really embedded in Penny Arcade's wider ventures (pretty much just read the comic before strip search), I hadn't really had any exposure to Khoo before this episode and had only the buzz of the interwebz to go on, which I did know was obviously going to be exaggerated. However, I work in a highly social industry and have met a lot of folks on the business side of various operations, and Khoo seems very friendly and approachable compared to almost all of them (and these are people who are often serving as a public face of their company as well). So I was surprised to match that guy to the things I've heard about him.

Anyway, congrats on the win, Monica! You deserve it!

Sandra SnanspillfishRachel_From_PortlandCambiata
  • t_wanderert_wanderer Registered User regular
    Go Monica! Northbrook represent! I hate how she keeps missing her very deserved praise. She got no feedback at all from WOTC, but privately they thought it was great. I hope she's watching these and going, "Holy crap, I was really good!" You deserve all the praise, all of it.

That said, my Stripsearch fantasy: Amy and Erika are the last contenders. It's the final Elimination challenge. Mike and Jerry say go, they look at each other, pick up their styluses, drop them on the floor and walk out. Epic.

Sandra Snanspillfishmicrobrien
  • MrPhilMrPhil MrPhil Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    Poor Monica, she must have been a wreck if they had to voiced over her picking out the two for elimination.
    Go Abbey on innovation!
    Will we get to see a redraw in action?

emarecksaykay
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    Shit just got fucking real. Battle Beard, ENGAGE!

escape908Rachel_From_Portlandelectricsheepemarecksaykaytapeslinger
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Agree with the judges, not with Monica.
    Also, I think I would have absolutely sent Lexxy no matter how good she was. Just as a kind of "If you want to come back, prove you deserve to be here" sort of thing. I never would have picked Amy.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    emarecksaykay
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    Good that Amy got sent for plagiarizing someone's setup. Bad that Maki got sent for being Maki :( Yes, his setup looked bad, but hes 1 of 2 males left! Omg! You know they will all gang up on Tavis next!

escape908emarecksaykay
  • CNECNE Registered User regular
    Not only did we see a crack in the Maki Beardwall, but we saw Abby's Chin-wall completely come unhinged. She's been trying so hard all season to stay cool. It was really wonderful watching her reacting emotionally to this challenge.

The feeling of dread for these eliminations -- shared between Strippers and fans -- is so unique to this series.

• Brother GlaciusBrother Glacius Registered User regular
    Shitballs! now I gotta wait until Tuesday! Argh!

Rottonappleemarecksaykay
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Weaselsoup wrote: »
    actually, interesting that Jerry's making a negative comment in the 'next time on' - although it could be leading up to 'but it's still brilliant', I guess - because I would expect a Lexxy/Tavis style 'both of these are too good' to happen. I suspect if someone is going to be overthinking, though, it's more likely to be Amy? She cares so much and pays attention to detail, so it seems more likely than 'forgot the client colour palette' Maki. darn it, can't wait for Tuesday.

I was wondering about the opposite. Maybe Maki uses the redaw ticket for a second chance, and completely over thinks his second try. Although the redraw ticket is almost certainly just to pick a different word out of the bin.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
  • DannyDontDannyDont Registered User regular
    @MICHYGEARY Your preemptive defense is against a strawman offense. The point against Amy isn't that she stole ideas. Sure, in the wider sense "every idea is from someplace, blah blah." The point is that she was so obvious and ham-fisted in the theft that her table was actually given a split-screen comparison with Erika's, and they were nearly identical. The judges noted that specifically.

So, to recap, nicking ideas, "stealing like an artist," appropriation, sampling, and homage are all fine.

Nicking ideas in a competition wherein less-than-a-dozen artists vie to show off those ideas, in a basement where they will be judged free of context...is probably a bad idea. It's also a cynical idea.

Over and over again, Amy (who seems like a talented, smart, and well-meaning artist) has made "tactical" decisions that come from a place of deep cynicism. That is an off-putting trait when compared to Maki and Katie's inclusive kindness, Tavis's generousness in sharing advice, or even Monica's playful disregard for strategy.

I get it, it's a reality show. I get that there's a "game." Except every clue so far has been that maybe this isn't a normal type of reality show. Maybe this is a humanizing effort on the part of the showrunners. Amy's distrust and constant maneuvering is out of step with what the other artists seem to be showing. It may come from a place of hurt, and if so, I hope nothing but good things for her.

duddlesfraggyArenowsketchity
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Great episode! It was interesting to see the different ideas for merchandising. I know I would have been terrible at it because I have no business sense. Did anyone at PAX East notice if they used the new book stand method?

Kinda sad to see Maki go up for elimination though. I like him and I hope he wins in the next episode.

jswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1og83npmjgeii.pngSteam:ArcSyn
    Sandra Snanescape908emarecksaykay
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Good that Amy got sent for plagiarizing someone's setup. Bad that Maki got sent for being Maki :( Yes, his setup looked bad, but hes 1 of 2 males left! Omg! You know they will all gang up on Tavis next!

There was nothing wrong with cribbing from others. Khoo straight-up said it was perfectly within bounds, and everyone understood why, because she was the only one who hadn't done a booth before. The problem was that she didn't crib the right things.

Sucks that the day she opens up is the day she winds up in the Thunderdome. (Doubly sucks that she happens to also be the resident New Englander. Hoping she and hers are all okay.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Sandra Snanm3nacefraggyenderandrewVerticalEventCambiataBuchoemarecksaykay
  • spawnoftheEDspawnoftheED Multimedia Designer New JerseyRegistered User regular
    i feel like the eliminations the rest of the way out are going to be super intense.

Intangible 360escape908SandrockcstmspillfishFranklinBluthemarecksaykay
  • duddlesduddles Registered User regular
    MONKEYKING1969 I completely agree with your suggestion that all the artists should participate in the elimination challenge. It's the most interesting part of the show for me - seeing what they can create in 90 minutes and actually getting to see what their comics look like on the show. It would be awesome to see all the different interpretations the whole group could come up with.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I like Maki, he's one of my favorites.

Even so, #team AmErika all the way yo.

walrus.png
  • OldSchoolChickenOldSchoolChicken Registered User regular
    Man... Don't want either to lose! Both are favourites...

I'd say 70-30 in Maki's favour, if not for anything but his redraw card (even though we can only guess at what it does exactly, I'm sure it will be used)

emarecksaykay
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    I didn't really care about the subject of the challenge at all, but it was still an interesting episode to watch. Because; Aww... Abby! Standing there waiting to be judged she looked more like she was waiting to be shot! "WILL SOMEONE GIVE HER A HUG FFS?!?" is what I was yelling on the inside. Don't quite know where her normal, dry humored self went that episode. :D

Also, Maki dude, I am rooting for Team Beardwall.

emarecksaykay
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    At first I was like, poor Abby. :(

and then I was like SHE BESTED KHOO

That's like taking down a raid boss all by yourself.

and not one from 3 expansions ago. i'm talking current content.

walrus.png
    risingtablefraggyblaghRachel_From_PortlandelectricsheepddrussianinjaSandra SnanmegascorcherLesStewartJayeEmmPsykomaBucho
  • SandrockcstmSandrockcstm Registered User regular
    I crapped my pants when I saw that Khoo was the judge this time. That man is intimidating.

I had a feeling Maki was up for elimination next, even before the challenge started. He had a strong showing in the first two episodes, and has just plateaued since then. If anything he's gotten weaker. I feel that he's afraid to take risks, and as a result all the he produces is just "meh." Amy getting sent up for elimination is pretty surprising, but at the same time I'm happy that we have two newcomers to elimination.

My prediction though: Amy chews Maki up and spits him out.

fraggySandra SnanMichyGearyspillfish
  • ShpydirShpydir Registered User regular
    Great episode, as usual. I'm exhibiting at a small convention tomorrow so this was a timely challenge. My version of the challenge is more like getting two books and a print on a table, but whatevs...

emarecksaykay
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    If you were at a real con for the first time you'd be flat out STUPID not to steal ideas from the booths around you. The qualities of a successful con booth are quite idiosyncratic and NOT necessarily intuitive at all. I listen to enough art podcasts to know that sometimes the "best practices" of setting up your booth are things you would never think of without first-hand experience of how con goers tend to interact with artists. Not saying Amy's cribbing was the most successful, but I definitely disagree with anyone arguing that it was a bad or "cynical" strategy in principle.

Lamp on
    Sandra SnanCambiataTheSpyderemarecksaykay