As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

re-training a boxer dog. Possible?

SamSam Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the deal. My family has a boxer dog. Boxers have pretty close relationships with their owners, imo more so than most other breeds. At least they become more emotionally attached.
Anyway, long story short, our boxer was trained by the wrong person, but we didn't know at the time. The trainer gave him attack training, and now he's gotten it into his head that he has to protect us from anyone who's not in the family. This makes keeping the dog a problem, obviously.
For the past couple years, he's been in my dad's house in Ivory Coast, Africa, where we all lived when we got him. But we want to move the dog since nobody spends any time there anymore, except my dad, who spends half his time with us and goes there for work. There are people there that take care of the dog, he gets along well with them, but if he sees them in the presence of someone in the family he'll attack.

I can't think of a solution. We can't keep the dog there and only periodically visit him; at the same time we can't just bring him over with his training problems.

Hope someone can help.

Sam on

• Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It can be trained out of him, but you should have a professional do it. It's more complex then training a bad habit out of a dog, but still the same concept.

Once he's been retrained, you have to be extra vigilent about reinforcing the training for life.

crake on