Options

Post-PAX Party 2013: REGISTRATION IS LIVE AT http://p32013.eventbrite.com/

124»

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    Donations go solely towards the raffle. The ticket price handles the cost of the party.

Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    GoogalashGoogalash Registered User regular
    So this is getting very close and I thought you all should be aware of the current road construction in the area. I work a couple blocks away (north on westlake) so am very familiar with it.

I have made this handy image to show what is going on.

http://i.imgur.com/69Xms86.jpg

RED = road closed
    Blue = route 40 northbound bus route. The dot next to Ducati is a temporary stop and your best option of where to get off if you take the bus.
    Green = parking, you'll note for folks that have been there in the past there is no parking in front of the location like there used to be.

Your best public transit option for getting there is the route 40 bus. It runs fairly late and as you can see in my image the northbound stop is just past Mercer on 9th ave and the southbound stop is in front of the Courtyard Marriot on Westlake. Both of those are less than a block walk. Anyway here is a link to route 40 bus info.
    http://metro.kingcounty.gov/schedules/040/s0.html

Edit: Should also note due to the construction it gets super heavy traffic times in this area. Especially going south on Westlake. Likely not an issue on monday since it is a holiday.

2nd edit: I forgot you can also take route 62 on the bus but it doesn't run as often. It has the same stops as 40 around the venue.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like there's been construction in that area every year :P

• Options
    groovegroove Enforcer SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure it's been mentioned, but since Monday is a holiday, all transit will be running on a Sunday schedule. In the past, services like google maps do not know this.

[E]
    axlky.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I feel like there's been construction in that area every year :P

Indeed but this current round has by far been the worst of it.

• Options
    Oooooh. Thank you, Googalash!

• Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    Googalash wrote: »
    So this is getting very close and I thought you all should be aware of the current road construction in the area. I work a couple blocks away (north on westlake) so am very familiar with it.

I have made this handy image to show what is going on.

http://i.imgur.com/69Xms86.jpg

RED = road closed
    Blue = route 40 northbound bus route. The dot next to Ducati is a temporary stop and your best option of where to get off if you take the bus.
    Green = parking, you'll note for folks that have been there in the past there is no parking in front of the location like there used to be.

Your best public transit option for getting there is the route 40 bus. It runs fairly late and as you can see in my image the northbound stop is just past Mercer on 9th ave and the southbound stop is in front of the Courtyard Marriot on Westlake. Both of those are less than a block walk. Anyway here is a link to route 40 bus info.
    http://metro.kingcounty.gov/schedules/040/s0.html

Edit: Should also note due to the construction it gets super heavy traffic times in this area. Especially going south on Westlake. Likely not an issue on monday since it is a holiday.

2nd edit: I forgot you can also take route 62 on the bus but it doesn't run as often. It has the same stops as 40 around the venue.

Thanks for the info! We were planning on just walking, is it very far from WSCC?

• Options
    TD&TRQTD&TRQ rockband night co-host in seattle Registered User regular
    It is a little over a mile away...approximately 23 minutes of walking. If we all walked together to the event we would garner attention for the event!

• Options
    Yeah it is not far to walk though should note some of those areas with road closures also have closed sidewalks.

• Options
    Send me information on the Twitter (http://twitter.com/p32013) for information on rideshare, walkshare, etc. I'll retweet/broadcast it.

• Options
    rathrath Registered User regular
    Looks like the badges I bought for my wife and myself off of the internet may not show up. Oh well, we're already stuck for the trip so we're coming anyway. We might have to get all of our PAX partying in at just this event though! See you all in a couple of weeks!

• Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    Come on folks, PAX is this week and this hasn't sold out yet? Totally needs to happen.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    asleepypandaasleepypanda Registered User regular
    I really want to go but I'm just not sure if I can fit this into my budget. I will know Sunday. :(

fss.png
  • Options
    SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    How are there still so many tickets left? Well take two down and pass the news around 123 Post-PAX-Party-2013-tickets left for them all.

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    Putting this back on the front page so it gets the visibility it needs to sell more tickets.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    As a PAX and forum regular, just throwing this out there as possible explanations:

- There's another event that night - the Post-PAX Pint Throwdown. For those of us who aren't really that into musical acts but prefer to sit more quietly and engage in learned discourse, it's a lot more appealing. I've never gone to the PPP, but I'm going to the beer event.

- With PAX going to 4 days this year, it means that people don't have vacation the day after the party like they used to. I think a lot of folks have to head back to work on Tuesday, which means leaving early and not staying up late that night. It's an unfortunate side effect of taking up all 4 days of the holiday weekend.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    Yeah i do think 9PM on Monday is pretty late into the weekend.

Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • Options
    KipolKipol Registered User regular
    So im just wondering if the tickets are sold out. I've been trying to pay for three tickets through PayPal but it always disconnects me

• Options
    Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    Shows 60 still available as of right now. Was a few more this morning.

• Options
    KipolKipol Registered User regular
    Is there any chance we can just get it at the door then? PayPal is being a....d-bag

• Options
    RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, what percentage (if any) of people wear costumes at this party? I haven't seen many crowd shots so I'm not really sure what to expect. Considering wearing mine, but I don't want to be the only guy there not dressed normally. Thanks for any info.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    RDubb wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what percentage (if any) of people wear costumes at this party? I haven't seen many crowd shots so I'm not really sure what to expect. Considering wearing mine, but I don't want to be the only guy there not dressed normally. Thanks for any info.

Don't take my word 100% for this, but I seem to recall that cosplaying at the party is both common and encouraged. Just mind the fact that it's going to be warm, crowded, moshey and a bit dark. Consider whether it's worth it to bring a change of clothes with you just in case.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    A little under two hours until party time. Any news on walkshares? My first time at PAX has taught me that I can go in the complete opposite direction of a destination, despite my best efforts.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    I'm willing to meet up with someone at the convention center to try and get a walk share going.

• Options
    Remington wrote: »
    I'm willing to meet up with someone at the convention center to try and get a walk share going.

Just outside the main doors at Pike / 7th? Just let me know what time and I'll be there. Still cleaning up atm.

• Options
    What time for the walkshare? Resting the feet in the mean time.

• Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Sounds good. I was gonna head over there around 730 but I can hang out a bit. You can text me at Six Three Zero - 248 - 5928

That goes for anyone else that wants to meet up.

• Options
    Sounds good to me. I'll head over in a few, will be wearing my yellowish Monty Python shirt with a red Communist Party sweatshirt. Also tweeted tentative details to Arco / Jace.

• Options
    Friend is zonked out. Not gonna make the 7:30 meetup.

• Options
    DeJarnacDeJarnac Registered User regular
    Guys, the rock band party was exactly what I needed, but not nearly enough. I'm local in Seattle and I want to do it more!

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    P3 was great as always

Well done @arco and can't wait for next year!

• Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming out last night. It really means a lot to me. This year was a little weird in terms of ticket sales, but we managed to get over 200 people and it really was a great night.

A few things:

1) The music. Last night was AWESOME. Big thanks to Johnny Nero, Klopfenpop, A_Rival, and Danimal Cannon for coming out and playing. We had some fantastic sound and even though there were some very minor technical hiccups, it was a really great night. It's always super encouraging to see people carving out space for dancing/jamming when there's no intended space for that.

2) The food. You have my apologies, and the apologies of the venue staff. We got the word that we "ate through all the food" about 30-45 minutes into the night. I reacted VERY skeptically to this news and basically told the assistant manager, "Well, that's kind of bullshit, because it should be really difficult for less than half the total attendance to eat through all the food for a three hour event in the first half hour." Her reaction was, "Well, they can feel free to order off the normal menu..." I did not take kindly to that suggestion, knowing that I was paying them several thousand dollars for food for you guys later in the night.

The manager actually left right as the party got started, but he got called back in/came back in to handle the situation. He said they definitely cooked too LITTLE food. He said they budgeted 200 sliders for 200 people, and that's just silly; as soon as someone takes a second slider, someone's going without. That's dumb, and anyone who's done events/food prep/buffet knows how dumb it is.

To the venue's credit they copped to that, said they were re-evaluating their policies and pricing in reaction to this event, and they made food almost the entire night as fast as they possibly could. I met the kitchen manager and personally saw him running dishes of chicken fingers, egg rolls, shrimp, etc. upstairs, and we didn't pay for or even order any of that. They tried to rectify the situation, but ultimately at that point they were swimming against the current and we were eating things faster than they could bring them out. Again, they wanted me to convey their apologies.

It's worth mentioning that this happened the previous two years with Jillian's, but they handled it WAY better. They cooked food faster and they had a WAY better attitude about it.

3) The raffle. As I briefly mentioned a few times last night, there is no perfect solution to doing a raffle at a party like this. I've thought about how to solve this problem a lot. I'm going to continue to solicit feedback from you guys, and I appreciate any feedback you've given. :)

Next year, we may end up at a different place. I was really nonplussed by World Sports Grille's new staff and new pricing. I'm going to send them a frank e-mail and be like, "I'm disappointed, you have to earn us back next year" and see what they say. I'll be investigating other venues to use, and I'll be soliciting feedback on that, as well.

Thanks, guys! <3

• Options
    Thanks for all the work you did on this. I didn't even realize there was a food issue as I grabbed a large meal early in the afternoon. A necessary precaution for a picky eater.

This was my first PAX, my first solo vacation, and the first PAX party I was able to successfully attend and it was great times. Had a nice chat with Remington on the way over. Sorry I didn't get a tweet out confirming the walkshare, I hope it didn't cause anyone to miss out. Once we got to the party I had a nice chat with a lady from the Cookie Brigade, and also with a gentleman from Canada. After that, it was time to throw down with some Dive Kick action. 10/10, would party again.

The music was great, though I would prefer if there was some more space that was less noisy. It's nice to chill without worry about conversations, but it's also nice to have a spot to go if you do want conversations.

On the raffle, I have a few suggestions:

1. If space permits, you could bring a roll of paper to write the numbers down and their corresponding items.
    2. You could tweet the numbers & corresponding items like they did for the FFXIV raffle. I know twitter does stop you from sending tweets after a point, so maybe you could bunch them up. Or, you could write them down on a smaller piece of paper, take a picture, and tweet that.
    3. Try to schedule downtime between musical acts for the actual raffle.

Thanks again, I hope I'll be there next year!

• Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    First off, big thanks for setting it up again Arco. The Post-pax party has been my capstone to the con weekend pretty much every year I've gone so far!

I knew from previous years that food gets a bit iffy after the first trays are gone so I got there early. It was a bit crazy this year though; they'd bring out a single tray of food and people would just descend in a horde and it would be gone in under a minute. It's a shame the new people had a problem keeping up with us, but it may simply be because of the new management they weren't used to these kind of numbers for a big party. Still not much of an excuse, of course.

Considering how big the raffle's gotten I don't think there's any easy ways to make it more simple. To be fair, I missed most of this because my ticket got called early and I ran off almost immediately after to get ready for an early flight so I don't have a great sense of how much time it actually took. For what I was there for it seemed pretty orderly, if slow.

One idea, perhaps, is to actually separate the tickets and do the drawing before the party itself, give people 2-3 hours to show up and give them tickets like usual and just throw up the winning numbers at 10:30 or something without having to do the draw right then and there. Less time, but probably has it's own problems.

About moving the venue, one thing I would ask you to consider: while I like the venue we have, it's at pretty much the distance limit both for what I have the energy to march out to after a weekend of PAX, and what I feel comfortable walking back from at midnight or later. The Taphouse was small but had the very distinct advantage of being right in the downtown core and minutes from most hotels that we're all staying at. If we need to switch to a venue any further away from downtown it would probably affect if I (and I'm sure other people) would actually be able to make the party next year.

• Options
    DeJarnacDeJarnac Registered User regular
    At the end of the party, one of the guys in charge of Rock Band said that there was a Seattle Rock Band group which meets regularly to play. Does anyone know how to get in touch with them?

• Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    You guys really threw a fantastic party. I liked the more open design of J's/WSG. Windows on the back wall make a huge difference. But the food problem really should not have happened.

The music was to die for. No gripes there.

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Raffle:

I do this all the time for LANs. The raffle at the party is pretty small in comparison.
    Get a projector/laptop and another mic if you dont want the music stopping. Callout the numbers and put the numbers up on notepad on the projector (along with tagging the prizes with the number).

That would remove the shitshow of trying to yell numbers over the music. I just walked away and didnt care if I won anything after a while.

With projector people can see at a distance if their number was called and dont have to crowd the table.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    TD&TRQTD&TRQ rockband night co-host in seattle Registered User regular
    DeJarnac wrote: »
    At the end of the party, one of the guys in charge of Rock Band said that there was a Seattle Rock Band group which meets regularly to play. Does anyone know how to get in touch with them?

We wanna thank Arco for letting us jam at the party again this year. We knew world sports grille was going the wrong direction back when we had a regular gig there. Hope to find a great place next year! @DeJarnac you can find us Sundays at the Ampersand Lounge at 115 bell st from 9-12. You can find is here http://facebook.com/SeattleRockbandGroup any and all are welcome!