As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokar Tsarnaev in custody

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I just read up on that public safety exception thing, expecting some Guantanamo-level denial of rights, but it doesn't sound that bad really.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    Public safety exception. He'll get his rights read once authorities are sure there aren't more bombs/threats present.

what exactly does this mean? if he doesn't want to talk, he's not going to talk. unless they plan to beat it out of him?

Also, in another twist there's now a link with one of the brothers and three guys who had their throats slit in Boston in 2011.

at its most basic it means they can ask certain questions before reading him his rights, as long as it pertains to matters of any potential, immediate threat to public safety. for instance, asking if he or his brother hid any bombs around the city would fall into this category.

there's been a couple of links on the issue posted, maybe it'd be a good idea to have those and the charity rog.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    A cop, in the 1980's, noticed an empty holster on an arrested suspect. The cop asked him where the gun was before reading Miranda rights. A court created a one-time exception and said the criminal's answer was admissible, because it was just a few seconds spent asking one question about an immediate danger to public safety.

In one case in the 90's (that was only decided in 2008), this was kinda, sorta expanded into the ability to claim "public safety" and deny Miranda rights for the duration of a full interrogation. But that was in the context of the interrogation of a foreign detainee overseas, and the court said that the exception might not be valid if the government is seemingly just circumventing the rights of a criminal suspect in a trial back in the United States.

But in a worst case scenario, the prosecution here would only lose the ability to admit the pre-Miranda interrogations as evidence. It doesn't seem like that would really jeopardize the case.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    As was mentioned in the previous thread, the authorities aren't going to need to rely on a confession at trial. It doesn't matter if everything he says between now and when he is mirandized is inadmissible, if they don't need that evidence (and come on, it really seems like they do not).

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Hell if I know, I just know it's a 'thing'. I assume it lets them strongarm him (not torture) and not give him a lawyer.. but only for 2 days tops.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So Miranda is about permissability in a trial. Police can always ask suspects questions, it's just they can't use the evidence gained in a trial unless the suspect has been Mirandized. Public safety removes that, but in this case not a huge deal.

The big test here is a fair trial in article three civilian courts. Which the administration has indicated they are planning on using. Hooray.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    That's assuming he doesn't plead guilty.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    So Miranda is about permissability in a trial. Police can always ask suspects questions, it's just they can't use the evidence gained in a trial unless the suspect has been Mirandized. Public safety removes that, but in this case not a huge deal.

The big test here is a fair trial in article three civilian courts. Which the administration has indicated they are planning on using. Hooray.

This could honestly be huge in the push to close down Gitmo. You have a (technically) foreign terrorist who attacked a US city using a (technically) WMD, who they're going to try in a civilian court. It's basically the situation that everyone who loves "extraordinary rendition" says will never work. A successful trial, conviction and imprisonment here proves them all wrong.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Isn't he a citizen or a resident alien? I always thought their big fear was trying and jailing foreign terrorists in the U.S. One big case of NIMBY.

• Options

This could honestly be huge in the push to close down Gitmo. You have a (technically) foreign terrorist who attacked a US city using a (technically) WMD, who they're going to try in a civilian court. It's basically the situation that everyone who loves "extraordinary rendition" says will never work. A successful trial, conviction and imprisonment here proves them all wrong.

American citizen as of 7 months ago.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yea, and it's important to note that Public Safety is stuff like "Did you plant more bombs?" or "Where is your gun?" Things that are immediate and have to be resolved quickly. Not super thrilled about how it's being used here but I get it at it's heart.

Really this is one of those cases of "Do we need to convict him on MORE counts of terrorism?" They arrested him because they had enough to convict on previous acts of terror. Not getting to punish him for other, yet to happen, acts of terror because he helped prevent them? Not a high priority from a justice system for me.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

American citizen as of 7 months ago.

Yeah, that's why I threw in the technically. His brother only had a green card, though.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

He is not "technically" a foreign citizen.

I agree with your general premise that it would be a blow against gitmo but he is very much a US citizen as far as any law or regulation is concerned.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Devil's Advocate:

What's the purpose of putting Mr. Don't Quit on trial, aside from consistency or the pursuit of ideological purity? I mean, what can a defense attorney do other than either plead insanity or attempt to put together a plea bargain agreement? Maybe try to pin absolutely everything on the dead brother?

Again, Devil's Advocate - I think consistency is a good enough reason to give him a trial - but part of me wonders if it's not just a waste of time / resources. I mean, it's not like we need to establish guilt, and it's not like Miranda Warnings or a lack thereof are really relevant when dude has already so thoroughly incriminated himself by rampaging all over Boston.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    We're a nation of laws. So the fifth and sixth amendments, for one. Which were put in for very good reasons.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Devil's Advocate:

What's the purpose of putting Mr. Don't Quit on trial, aside from consistency or the pursuit of ideological purity? I mean, what can a defense attorney do other than either plead insanity or attempt to put together a plea bargain agreement? Maybe try to pin absolutely everything on the dead brother?

Again, Devil's Advocate - I think consistency is a good enough reason to give him a trial - but part of me wonders if it's not just a waste of time / resources. I mean, it's not like we need to establish guilt, and it's not like Miranda Warnings or a lack thereof are really relevant when dude has already so thoroughly incriminated himself by rampaging all over Boston.

you honestly don't see a problem with this?

• Options

Devil's Advocate:

"Your honor, my client was under the control of his older brother, a foreign citizen already investigated by the FBI for terrorist ties, previously arrested for domestic violence. My client feared for his life if he did not comply with his brother's demands."

Oh look there's Mr. Reasonable Doubt and you've just changed a federal death penalty case to a 15 years to life, or less.

Not saying that's what will happen, of course. But that's the reason you have a trial.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    So, during the Red Sox pregame, Ortiz dropped a televised F-Bomb.
    "This is our fucking city. And no one is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."
    To which FCC chairman Julius Genachowski tweeted:
    David Ortiz spoke from the heart at today's Red Sox game. I stand with Big Papi and the people of Boston - Julius

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular

Devil's Advocate:

It needs to be done for the integrity of our justice system.

• Options

Devil's Advocate:

if any of those happen to be the best possible defence available then, yeah his attorney is obligated to present it. but that'll be between him and who ever he finds/is appointed to represent him.

the trial isn't just for show though. at this point the evidence against him is some photos/video footage and that he was caught up in a violent confrontation with the authorities. will more evidence be brought to light/present? i'm certain it will, but that evidence still has to be presented to a court and a jury.

if we skip this trial why not others? got DNA evidence? straight to jail, no trial. IDed by multiple eye witnesses? straight to jail.

this isn't about consistency as much as it is about integrity.

this goes for him being read his right too. that will happen. no one is trying to get around it. though on that note do we even know that he's actually been placed under arrest yet? obviously he's in custody and under guard but that's not the same(and is as much for his protection as it is to detain him). haven't checked the news tonight so last i heard his condition was still 'serious'. could be that part of the wait is for him to be awake and lucid enough to know whats going on(as has been suggested already i believe).

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    Public safety exception. He'll get his rights read once authorities are sure there aren't more bombs/threats present.

what exactly does this mean? if he doesn't want to talk, he's not going to talk. unless they plan to beat it out of him?

Also, in another twist there's now a link with one of the brothers and three guys who had their throats slit in Boston in 2011.

It's part of the Patriot Act. In times of danger to national security, when the public safety is at risk, you can question without Miranda. It's a small window but it's still in effect.

• Options

I see a problem with it, but I can't reason to what that problem is, so to speak. I mean, let's pretend he doesn't just plead guilty, and pleads the Fifth. How would it change the outcome of the trial if the court denied him the right to not incriminate himself in a courtroom if we already have overwhelming evidence that he's guilty.

With Love and Courage
  • Options

Bombs in a crowded place are not WMD, technically or otherwise.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Even if he wasn't a citizen or resident, he was caught in the US; he gets due process.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options

I see a problem with it, but I can't reason to what that problem is, so to speak. I mean, let's pretend he doesn't just plead guilty, and pleads the Fifth. How would it change the outcome of the trial if the court denied him the right to not incriminate himself in a courtroom if we already have overwhelming evidence that he's guilty.

this is kinda a different point, and one that was raised in the last thread. if the isn't made aware of his rights, and he implicates someone else in the attacks, any warrants issued or charges brought on these other individuals could be deemed unlawful/dismissed. its highly unlikely that this is going to be the case, but until its known for sure its best to cover your ass to nth degree and make sure everything is 100% utterly by the book.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

He is not "technically" a foreign citizen.

I agree with your general premise that it would be a blow against gitmo but he is very much a US citizen as far as any law or regulation is concerned.

I don't think he is. P sure he wasn't naturalized yet - his brother definitely wasn't.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular

It might not change the outcome of that trial, but in the realm of the courtroom, precedent is king.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    where did the info this guy didn't get his miranda rights read out come from.

Cause back at the time of his capture there was a lot of posting in the thread that he did, in fact, get his rights read to him.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    where did the info this guy didn't get his miranda rights read out come from.

Cause back at the time of his capture there was a lot of posting in the thread that he did, in fact, get his rights read to him.

He did not. I heard the US District attorney explain this at the press conference just after he was captured. She also asserted the public safety exception at that time.

• Options
    They've been rather straight forward regarding their actions. It's not like they're trying to bury the fact they didn't read him his Miranda rights immediately. IIRC the ACLU is monitoring the case as well.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

Bombs in a crowded place are not WMD, technically or otherwise.

They are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon_of_mass_destruction#Criminal_.28Civilian.29

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    Reflecting on this week, I'm left contemplating how in times of crisis it's so tempting to despair, but these times are when we see humanity at its best, even if provoked by its worst, and we hear a story which is moving, heartwarming, badass or any combination thereof and I can't help but feel hopeful. The band played on aboard Titanic. The dispatcher stopped trains coming into Halifax minutes before the largest manmade explosion to date killed him. Kevin "Batman" Conroy helping to man a soup kitchen after 9/11 and cheering up scared kids.

This event is no exception. A personal scale is the bomb victim with the presence of mind to ID a suspect, and witnessed the heartbreak of a man who saw his flesh and blood accused of terrible things. On a wider scale we have the hospitals responding magnificently to a grisly situation, and most importantly the police showing true professionalism in an exhausting case with the world gazing at them, and that professionalism paying off with a successful capture. With these situations it normally seems to end with all the suspects dead, but now my Justice Bone is tickled that due process can be fully enacted thanks to the cops' careful approach in a situation where it would be easy to justify ridddling the suspect with bullets.

I've always said humanity is a double edged sword. This week we got a feel of how both edges cut.

I still think the best story was that of the doctor who beat the first suspect to the hospital and tried to save his life.

Re: Charities, here's a link the the MIT Community Service Fund. Their payment system went down yesterday (hopefully overloaded with donations), and I'm not sure if it's back up yet or not.

Thanks dude.

Quid, can we include this link in the OP as well?

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    QGJ3yrF.jpg

I like pictures like this turning up. It's kinda touching.

• Options
    Gyral wrote: »
    "This is our fucking city. And no one is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."
    David Ortiz spoke from the heart at today's Red Sox game. I stand with Big Papi and the people of Boston - Julius

I heard 'fuck' a few times on TV yesterday, followed by half-hearted apologies about the language.

I wonder if this kind of stuff might push us through the playground-language era of network censorship.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »

Huh

I'm torn between my default "Fuck the FCC" and "Fuck yeah, FCC!"

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I went to the game today (also the cordoned off area, which ruined a lot of the good feelings :/)

There were a lot of cops being honored but there were also uniformed military (Nat Guard? Guess they could have been law enforcement) working. The patches on their shoulders for the ones without dogs?

EOD

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I went to the game today (also the cordoned off area, which ruined a lot of the good feelings :/)

There were a lot of cops being honored but there were also uniformed military (Nat Guard? Guess they could have been law enforcement) working. The patches on their shoulders for the ones without dogs?

EOD

Did you ask them what EOD stood for?

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

I see a problem with it, but I can't reason to what that problem is,

The problem is that as an American citizen he has the right to a trial by a jury of his peers, period end of story.

• Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    Apparently the FBI interviewed the older brother in 2011 at the request of a foreign government. Nothing came of it.

reason.com/24-7/2013/04/20/fbi-had-interviewed-tamerlan-tsarnaev-in

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular

Devil's Advocate:

We DO need to establish guilt. You should always have to establish guilt. At this point "everyone" knows he's guilty, and he almost certainly is, but you can't run a justice system like that.