Options

[Industry Thread] Oh, we're doomed. Every year we're doomed.

19394959698

Posts

  • Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    [citation]

  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Honestly, if the SimCity thing was big enough for the average consumer to notice, then I think the Xbone thing is big enough for the average consumer to notice.


    My mother asked me about the SimCity debacle.

    On the Xbone launch day, when no one can play their games because the authentication server has crashed under the weight, I imagine she'll call me up, mention the news, and ask if I "got the Xbone" and maybe I will tell her yes, mom, I got the Xbone and in more ways than one.

    I would honestly be surprised if launch volumes are high enough to cause issues, especially since they're missing Christmas apparently. It'll be the early adopter ramp up, not the cliff a sudden major new game on an established platform would be.

    Wait, what? They're missing Xmas? Why even bother hyping the new CoD game then?

    Uh, I could have sworn they were missing 2013 from what I heard in this thread. Don't take it as gospel though, as it's 2nd hand at best.

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Can Microsoft actually dictate the price of a used game at Gamestop? Isn't that illegal? I thought the retailer had all rights to charge whatever they want.


    "Licensing" ensures that Microsoft/the Publisher maintain ownership 100% of the time, independent of any other transaction which the license passes through.

    This is true. Auto opt in licensing of physical goods just got smacked around by the Supreme Court though. This is way closer to software where they are generally much more favorably disposed to it though. So probably, but not definitely.

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I'm fairly certain there've been no rumors about "missing Christmas" or anything like that.

    However, there have been rumors that the development schedules for most of the launch window games are as much as six months behind schedule, which might mean that the Xbone launches with very few games.

  • Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    Cool. Everything I've read has pushed strongly for an October/November 2013 launch.

  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I just want to point out something. For all the stocks rising and falling and all the goosery we're hearing about with the Xbone, does the average consumer know or care?

    We hate that the Kinect is always on and watching. For the people who haven't figured out that sleep and power on a computer are 2 different things, does it matter? We're laughing at the used game prices, does a guy buying games on a whim at Walmart care? We think the Xbox TV thing is bad, do the people who sit around tweeting about the shows they watch think so?

    Just given that we're on here discussing it, we know more than the average consumer does about the Xbone, and "gaming" in general. Even people who invest in these companies at least have some idea what's going on.

    The Xbone could very well sell like hotcakes (certainly not 1 billion though, that's beyond ridiculous). People always like new things, Microsoft will market it to people who don't know any better and make sales off that. We've all discussed that the WiiU isn't selling well because average people don't know what it is. The same principle could work for Microsoft, if people don't know all the things "wrong" with it, it's not a big deal.

    I feel that the average consumer is fairly price conscious. That's why they are at Wallmart and Gamestop.

    The rental market will be missed as well if Redbox games go away.

    MS probably has enough adherents at this point to make the Bone a success during the first couple of launch months. The period after holiday shopping is over will be more telling, as it was for the WiiU. How many will be returned when users can't get the Bone to work with their cable box? Or find out they can't rent or borrow titles? Or MS has some hiccups at launch or on Xmas morning?

  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain there've been no rumors about "missing Christmas" or anything like that.

    However, there have been rumors that the development schedules for most of the launch window games are as much as six months behind schedule, which might mean that the Xbone launches with very few games.

    It's a shame they're not backwards compatible.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    They specifically stated release would be "later this year" during the conference so they're definitely hitting the holiday window.

  • Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I just want to point out something. For all the stocks rising and falling and all the goosery we're hearing about with the Xbone, does the average consumer know or care?

    We hate that the Kinect is always on and watching. For the people who haven't figured out that sleep and power on a computer are 2 different things, does it matter? We're laughing at the used game prices, does a guy buying games on a whim at Walmart care? We think the Xbox TV thing is bad, do the people who sit around tweeting about the shows they watch think so?

    Just given that we're on here discussing it, we know more than the average consumer does about the Xbone, and "gaming" in general. Even people who invest in these companies at least have some idea what's going on.

    The Xbone could very well sell like hotcakes (certainly not 1 billion though, that's beyond ridiculous). People always like new things, Microsoft will market it to people who don't know any better and make sales off that. We've all discussed that the WiiU isn't selling well because average people don't know what it is. The same principle could work for Microsoft, if people don't know all the things "wrong" with it, it's not a big deal.

    I feel that the average consumer is fairly price conscious. That's why they are at Wallmart and Gamestop.

    The rental market will be missed as well if Redbox games go away.

    MS probably has enough adherents at this point to make the Bone a success during the first couple of launch months. The period after holiday shopping is over will be more telling, as it was for the WiiU. How many will be returned when users can't get the Bone to work with their cable box? Or find out they can't rent or borrow titles? Or MS has some hiccups at launch or on Xmas morning?
    The average consumer does not buy a console during its launch year. The sort of person who runs right out to drop $500 on a piece of consumer electronics based on newness and brand name alone is an enthusiast, not an average person. The vast majority of sales come later. So if Xbone turns out to be as consumer-hostile as some of us suspect, it's going to have a bad reputation well before even 25% of the potential buyers have picked one up.

    fearsomepirate on
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Now that the thread is almost over, can I request an Alice in Wonderland reference for the next thread's title?

    jothki on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Appropriate for the post-press-conference rumor mill phase of the discussion:
    “I don't think..."
    "then you shouldn't talk", said the Hatter.

    Edit: Alternatively:
    Alice: You're just a figment of my imagination. I would dream up someone who's half mad.
    Hatter: Yes, yes...uh, but you would have to be half mad to dream me up!

    Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Christmas now is whenever CoD is launched.

    Also, the Wiiu is gonna get Xenoblade 2, so we all know it's the best console already.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    On the Used Game system for the Xbox One:

    I'd expect Sony to follow suit to some extent while still talking alot about how much more "open" their system will be.

    They've already made hints at this shit and said "It's up to the publisher" and evaded the question and basically made every indication they are waiting on MS to make their move first.

    And I think Sony WILL make some move because the big winner here is the publishers. Including Sony.

    Sony and the people who make games for their system are probably getting big hard stiffies reading today's news. Executives at EA are running down the halls, ripping people's pants off and blowing them in joy.

  • Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Now that the thread is almost over, can I request an Alice in Wonderland reference for the next thread's title?

    MS HQ: We're all mad here

  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    MS's Xbox One strategy is a very US focused one, while Sony actually have bridges to be burned in the rest of the world. The used game market in Japan is even more established than it is elsewhere, and I don't know if Sony or Japanese publishers are willing to take their chances with that, especially given how home consoles have been losing ground to handhelds over there.

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    "I like the xbone best," said Alice, "because you see he was a little sorry for the poor oysters."

    "He ate more than the Kaz, though," said Tweedledee."

    One can add the rest of the conversation if sony flips out too:
    "That was mean!" Alice said indignantly. "Then I like the Kaz best—if he didn't eat so many as the Xbone."

    "But he ate as many as he could get," said Tweedledum.

    This was a puzzler. After a pause, Alice began, "Well! They were both very unpleasant characters—"

    Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    MS's Xbox One strategy is a very US focused one, while Sony actually have bridges to be burned in the rest of the world. The used game market in Japan is even more established than it is elsewhere, and I don't know if Sony or Japanese publishers are willing to take their chances with that, especially given how home consoles have been losing ground to handhelds over there.

    There is already region-locking of some sort, is there not?

    It'd be easy to deploy Japan-only policies.

  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    MS's Xbox One strategy is a very US focused one, while Sony actually have bridges to be burned in the rest of the world. The used game market in Japan is even more established than it is elsewhere, and I don't know if Sony or Japanese publishers are willing to take their chances with that, especially given how home consoles have been losing ground to handhelds over there.

    There is already region-locking of some sort, is there not?

    It'd be easy to deploy Japan-only policies.

    Sony has region locking for Blurays, not for games. (PS3/Vita). You can order a Japanese or Us PS3 game and play it in a SCEE region PS3 like NZ sony cares not one whit.

    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    MS's Xbox One strategy is a very US focused one, while Sony actually have bridges to be burned in the rest of the world. The used game market in Japan is even more established than it is elsewhere, and I don't know if Sony or Japanese publishers are willing to take their chances with that, especially given how home consoles have been losing ground to handhelds over there.

    There is already region-locking of some sort, is there not?

    It'd be easy to deploy Japan-only policies.

    Despite the option being available to everyone, the only disk PS3 release that has been region locked is Atlus's Persona 4 Arena, which happened because the Japanese parent company didn't want domestic consumers taking advantage of the relative strength of the Yen vs the USD at the time.

    I see your point though, and it does make sense that they'd leave the option available to those who wish to utilise it (EA of course spring to mind).

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Doesn't being-in-japanese do the same shit anyway?

  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    P4A had a near simultaneous release (2 week gap) and had both Japanese and English audio, which is why it was even an issue in the first place.

    There are a surprising number of Japanese developed titles that have English audio or subtitles due to the broader Asian market - Demon's Souls ended up coming to America and subsequently Europe because of people importing the Asian version of the game, which is entirely in English.

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Doesn't being-in-japanese do the same shit anyway?

    For some games. Fighting games don't really use that much language. Learn the menus and your done.

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I played both Ouendans to completion (beaten on the Cheerleader level) without learning a single word or ideogram.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Doesn't being-in-japanese do the same shit anyway?
    Sure being in a foreign language is exactly the same as electronically blocking software by sony from "other" regions . . .

    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain there've been no rumors about "missing Christmas" or anything like that.

    However, there have been rumors that the development schedules for most of the launch window games are as much as six months behind schedule, which might mean that the Xbone launches with very few games.

    It's a shame they're not backwards compatible.

    Yeah I bet a lot of people would have stood in line outside a Best Buy to get the brand new Xbox One so it can play all the games their 360 can already play.

    I would like to know how many people got the PS2 at launch cause it can play their their PS1 games on it and so very few PS2 games were available then.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Doesn't being-in-japanese do the same shit anyway?
    Sure being in a foreign language is exactly the same as electronically blocking software by sony from "other" regions . . .

    Yeah, it basically is. The market of people importing or wanting to import, like, the japanese-language version of God of War to the US is vanishingly small.

    Just only sell the english-language version in a specific format and you've basically region-locked that game.

  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Heh, all of a sudden I'm remembering the rumours/ "news" circling around a half year ago or so that said Microsoft were eagerly working together with publishers and developers and taking their opinions into account.

    And, provided that wasn't just a fever dream of mine, it looks like that's exactly what they've done!

    Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

    I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Doesn't being-in-japanese do the same shit anyway?
    Sure being in a foreign language is exactly the same as electronically blocking software by sony from "other" regions . . .

    Yeah, it basically is. The market of people importing or wanting to import, like, the japanese-language version of God of War to the US is vanishingly small.

    Just only sell the english-language version in a specific format and you've basically region-locked that game.

    Sure Foreign languages are actually DRM schemes enacted by electronic multinational firms. It's exactly the same as Sony region locking games.

    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I just want to point out something. For all the stocks rising and falling and all the goosery we're hearing about with the Xbone, does the average consumer know or care?

    They will if the big mainstream media sites keeping posting stories like this

    http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/24/microsoft-xbox-one-let-down-says-steven-butts-ign/

  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    says steven butts

  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Doesn't being-in-japanese do the same shit anyway?
    Sure being in a foreign language is exactly the same as electronically blocking software by sony from "other" regions . . .

    Yeah, it basically is. The market of people importing or wanting to import, like, the japanese-language version of God of War to the US is vanishingly small.

    Just only sell the english-language version in a specific format and you've basically region-locked that game.

    Sure Foreign languages are actually DRM schemes enacted by electronic multinational firms. It's exactly the same as Sony region locking games.

    Now you are just being deliberately obtuse. Maybe drop the snark and turn on the part of your brain that can actually think.

    Something being in japanese means it basically won't be used by the north american market. It accomplishes basically the same goal. The north american market will buy the english version, even if it's different from the japanese version.

  • Options
    DonauDonau Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain there've been no rumors about "missing Christmas" or anything like that.

    However, there have been rumors that the development schedules for most of the launch window games are as much as six months behind schedule, which might mean that the Xbone launches with very few games.

    It's a shame they're not backwards compatible.

    Yeah I bet a lot of people would have stood in line outside a Best Buy to get the brand new Xbox One so it can play all the games their 360 can already play.

    I would like to know how many people got the PS2 at launch cause it can play their their PS1 games on it and so very few PS2 games were available then.

    Well think of how many 360 owners will want to play their Halo 4 on their new Xbone only to learn they will need to go and buy the Xbone port. I think producing Halo 4 for the 360 was a major misstep, blowing their biggest exclusive IP as the twilight launch of their current console rather than saving it for a launch title on the new console.

    Are they really banking on users buying ports of games they already own?

    As I doubt that a new Gears of War will be developed and published by time for the launch that leaves only two xbox exclusive IPs that could arrive in time for launch:

    A new Fable (which I would bet on being announced at E3)

    and Doritos Crash Course 3

    The last thing Microsoft wants is to have users buy an Xbone and go back to playing their 360 until games they want come out, and unless their "unannounced original IPs" provide a robust launch lineup that is exactly what will happen.

  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Doesn't being-in-japanese do the same shit anyway?
    Sure being in a foreign language is exactly the same as electronically blocking software by sony from "other" regions . . .

    Yeah, it basically is. The market of people importing or wanting to import, like, the japanese-language version of God of War to the US is vanishingly small.

    Just only sell the english-language version in a specific format and you've basically region-locked that game.

    Sure Foreign languages are actually DRM schemes enacted by electronic multinational firms. It's exactly the same as Sony region locking games.

    Now you are just being deliberately obtuse. Maybe drop the snark and turn on the part of your brain that can actually think.

    Something being in japanese means it basically won't be used by the north american market. It accomplishes basically the same goal. The north american market will buy the english version, even if it's different from the japanese version.

    No it's not the same thing, I can visit family in Japan buy a Japanese PS3 game and play it in my half japanese nieces NZ PS3 with NZ PSN account or my own PS3.

    My brother having learnt the language and married into it can play Japanese games on his NZ PS3.

    Lanugage is not the same thing as a DRM region lock.

    I can purchase Uncharted III from amazon US and play it on my NZ PSN accounted PS3 in spite of the fact US speaks a different form of english with unusual spellings.

    A Brazilian can buy a european PS3 game and parse through the slightly dissimilar Portuguese Portuguese.

    Language is not a region lock you goose.

    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Donau wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain there've been no rumors about "missing Christmas" or anything like that.

    However, there have been rumors that the development schedules for most of the launch window games are as much as six months behind schedule, which might mean that the Xbone launches with very few games.

    It's a shame they're not backwards compatible.

    Yeah I bet a lot of people would have stood in line outside a Best Buy to get the brand new Xbox One so it can play all the games their 360 can already play.

    I would like to know how many people got the PS2 at launch cause it can play their their PS1 games on it and so very few PS2 games were available then.

    Well think of how many 360 owners will want to play their Halo 4 on their new Xbone only to learn they will need to go and buy the Xbone port. I think producing Halo 4 for the 360 was a major misstep, blowing their biggest exclusive IP as the twilight launch of their current console rather than saving it for a launch title on the new console.

    Are they really banking on users buying ports of games they already own?

    As I doubt that a new Gears of War will be developed and published by time for the launch that leaves only two xbox exclusive IPs that could arrive in time for launch:

    A new Fable (which I would bet on being announced at E3)

    and Doritos Crash Course 3

    The last thing Microsoft wants is to have users buy an Xbone and go back to playing their 360 until games they want come out, and unless their "unannounced original IPs" provide a robust launch lineup that is exactly what will happen.

    Oh I agree on the Halo thing. Halo 4 being the mark of a new trilogy should have been a launch title for X1.

    It confused the hell out of me when it was announced for the 360. Would have thought MS was going to pass time by releasing HD versions of Halo 1 and 2 or at the very most let Halo cool down a bit until the grand return of the franchise for the next system.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Cool down? Not exploit/molest/diddle every year? What madness is this you speak?

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Bastable:

    You are just being a silly goose now. Calm the fuck down.

    Japanese is spoken by like 0.15% of the US population. It's like 0.1% in Canada. That's a miniscule portion of the North American population. We could go on with other areas if you wish, but we all know the US is the biggest fish and I don't feel like wiking more.

    Even if we assume more of them are gamers, this is still a vanishingly small percentage of potential users. Throw in "people willing to muddle through a japanese version of a game" and you still aren't getting numbers high enough to matter.

    If you do not translate a game into from japanese into another language, almost no one outside Japan will play it. If you release a different version of the game in english, most people outside Japan in NA or the like will play that version. The results are pretty similar to region locking. This shit ain't hard. I have no idea wtf your problem is.

    shryke on
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable:

    You are just being a silly goose now. Calm the fuck down.

    Japanese is spoken by like 0.15% of the US population. It's like 0.1% in Canada. That's a miniscule portion of the North American population. We could go on with other areas if you wish, but we all know the US is the biggest fish and I don't feel like wiking more.

    Even if we assume more of them are gamers, this is still a vanishingly small percentage of potential users. Throw in "people willing to muddle through a japanese version of a game" and you still aren't getting numbers high enough to matter.

    If you do not translate a game into from japanese into another language, almost no one outside Japan will play it. If you release a different version of the game in english, most people outside Japan in NA or the like will play that version. The results are pretty similar to region locking. This shit ain't hard. I have no idea wtf your problem is.
    Dude region locking is things like Sega physically no allowing me to play US Genesis Mickey and Donald carts in a NZ Megadrive or stoping Mexicans play European Spanish versions of games.

    Language is not a region lock.

    Even in the 90s my Chinese friend played through one of the japanese final fantasy's on a Chinese NES with the help of a step by step translation he printed out. The japanese cart was not region locked from playing on Chinese hardware while operating on a NZ brought TV.


    You original statement was that Sony region locked things this is pants on head while on fire untrue. Back-pedalling to foreign languages are region locking and only referencing Japan US is amazingly disingenuous.

    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable:

    You are just being a silly goose now. Calm the fuck down.

    Japanese is spoken by like 0.15% of the US population. It's like 0.1% in Canada. That's a miniscule portion of the North American population. We could go on with other areas if you wish, but we all know the US is the biggest fish and I don't feel like wiking more.

    Even if we assume more of them are gamers, this is still a vanishingly small percentage of potential users. Throw in "people willing to muddle through a japanese version of a game" and you still aren't getting numbers high enough to matter.

    If you do not translate a game into from japanese into another language, almost no one outside Japan will play it. If you release a different version of the game in english, most people outside Japan in NA or the like will play that version. The results are pretty similar to region locking. This shit ain't hard. I have no idea wtf your problem is.
    Dude region locking is things like Sega physically no allowing me to play US Genesis Mickey and Donald carts in a NZ Megadrive or stoping Mexicans play European Spanish versions of games.

    Language is not a region lock.

    Even in the 90s my Chinese friend played through one of the japanese final fantasy's on a Chinese NES with the help of a step by step translation he printed out. The japanese cart was not region locked from playing on Chinese hardware while operating on a NZ brought TV.


    You original statement was that Sony region locked things this is pants on head while on fire untrue. Back-pedalling to foreign languages are region locking and only referencing Japan US is amazingly disingenuous.


    The purpose of region locking is so that only people in region A can play version X of your game. People in region B either can't play it or must play version Y. Not translating a game into the language of region B basically accomplishes this. It's almost functionally equivalent to region locking. You'll still get a few die-hards making the effort to import it, but it's just not gonna be big enough to matter.

    We were talking about region locking, someone said some of the consoles could technically do it but they've never bothered, I posted the thought that "Well, the language barrier can basically accomplish the same thing." That's it.

    Until you apparently threw a fit because you can't seem to understand the rather obvious point in the first paragraph up there.

  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Oh hey, other Xbox One rumors, completely different from the ones before:

    http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games
    The Xbox One will not require gamers to pay a fee to reactivate a used game, but it will require a regular online spot check to verify the authenticity of games being played, according to sources familiar with the system.

    While an internet connection will be required for the console, the company is also experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones, sources tell Polygon.

    The ultimate system that Xbox One will use for used games and online authentication sounds like it is still in open debate on some level internally, which may explain the company's reticence in more directly clarifying the matter this week. Microsoft executives have been discussing the reaction to the confused messaging surrounding used games and internet requirements and plan to detail the console's take on both sometime before E3, according to our sources.

    According to Polygon's sources, Microsoft officials haven't yet settled on the specific amount of time that can pass between checks, but that some form of regular check will be required to play games.

    The Xbox One will automatically authenticate a game using an encryption code built into a game's disc, when it is installed on the machine. That authentication on the console's hard drive tied to the game is then verified regularly through an internet connection.

    When a person sells the game or it is installed and played on another system, the game is deauthenticated on the original machine until the disc is brought back and used to re-authenticate the installation.

    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    That's exactly what we knew before, just phrased differently.

    I guess the exemptions are new news.

This discussion has been closed.