Options

[Industry Thread] Oh, we're doomed. Every year we're doomed.

1939495969799»

Posts

  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    We're suffocating on Microsoft news, let's talk about other things perhaps. Like how Square finally has a launch date for the revamp of Final Fantasy numbers the MMO - August 27th according to RPS. That's still a ways off and it puts the whole revamp plan at like a year and a half / two years of work right? I can't even remember when the whole revamp was originally announced.

    Also via RPS, Bungie says that Destiny hasn't been ruled out for a PC release but neither has it been confirmed. I'm not sure what would hold up such a decision. Activision is puling the strings here, remember, and they've been contemplating on this new console gen for a while.

  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable:

    You are just being a silly goose now. Calm the fuck down.

    Japanese is spoken by like 0.15% of the US population. It's like 0.1% in Canada. That's a miniscule portion of the North American population. We could go on with other areas if you wish, but we all know the US is the biggest fish and I don't feel like wiking more.

    Even if we assume more of them are gamers, this is still a vanishingly small percentage of potential users. Throw in "people willing to muddle through a japanese version of a game" and you still aren't getting numbers high enough to matter.

    If you do not translate a game into from japanese into another language, almost no one outside Japan will play it. If you release a different version of the game in english, most people outside Japan in NA or the like will play that version. The results are pretty similar to region locking. This shit ain't hard. I have no idea wtf your problem is.
    Dude region locking is things like Sega physically no allowing me to play US Genesis Mickey and Donald carts in a NZ Megadrive or stoping Mexicans play European Spanish versions of games.

    Language is not a region lock.

    Even in the 90s my Chinese friend played through one of the japanese final fantasy's on a Chinese NES with the help of a step by step translation he printed out. The japanese cart was not region locked from playing on Chinese hardware while operating on a NZ brought TV.


    You original statement was that Sony region locked things this is pants on head while on fire untrue. Back-pedalling to foreign languages are region locking and only referencing Japan US is amazingly disingenuous.


    The purpose of region locking is so that only people in region A can play version X of your game. People in region B either can't play it or must play version Y. Not translating a game into the language of region B basically accomplishes this. It's almost functionally equivalent to region locking. You'll still get a few die-hards making the effort to import it, but it's just not gonna be big enough to matter.

    We were talking about region locking, someone said some of the consoles could technically do it but they've never bothered, I posted the thought that "Well, the language barrier can basically accomplish the same thing." That's it.

    Until you apparently threw a fit because you can't seem to understand the rather obvious point in the first paragraph up there.

    This is ridiculous and rather American-centric view of things.

    What about Europe? Which language is the "region rock equivalent" there? Hmmmm? What about China or Korea or other nations that require English in the curriculum? Check that worldview, yo.

    Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable:

    You are just being a silly goose now. Calm the fuck down.

    Japanese is spoken by like 0.15% of the US population. It's like 0.1% in Canada. That's a miniscule portion of the North American population. We could go on with other areas if you wish, but we all know the US is the biggest fish and I don't feel like wiking more.

    Even if we assume more of them are gamers, this is still a vanishingly small percentage of potential users. Throw in "people willing to muddle through a japanese version of a game" and you still aren't getting numbers high enough to matter.

    If you do not translate a game into from japanese into another language, almost no one outside Japan will play it. If you release a different version of the game in english, most people outside Japan in NA or the like will play that version. The results are pretty similar to region locking. This shit ain't hard. I have no idea wtf your problem is.
    Dude region locking is things like Sega physically no allowing me to play US Genesis Mickey and Donald carts in a NZ Megadrive or stoping Mexicans play European Spanish versions of games.

    Language is not a region lock.

    Even in the 90s my Chinese friend played through one of the japanese final fantasy's on a Chinese NES with the help of a step by step translation he printed out. The japanese cart was not region locked from playing on Chinese hardware while operating on a NZ brought TV.


    You original statement was that Sony region locked things this is pants on head while on fire untrue. Back-pedalling to foreign languages are region locking and only referencing Japan US is amazingly disingenuous.


    The purpose of region locking is so that only people in region A can play version X of your game. People in region B either can't play it or must play version Y. Not translating a game into the language of region B basically accomplishes this. It's almost functionally equivalent to region locking. You'll still get a few die-hards making the effort to import it, but it's just not gonna be big enough to matter.

    We were talking about region locking, someone said some of the consoles could technically do it but they've never bothered, I posted the thought that "Well, the language barrier can basically accomplish the same thing." That's it.

    Until you apparently threw a fit because you can't seem to understand the rather obvious point in the first paragraph up there.

    This is ridiculous and rather American-centric view of things.

    What about Europe? Which language is the "region rock equivalent" there? Hmmmm? What about China or Korea or other nations that require English in the curriculum? Check that worldview, yo.

    This ... what? This doesn't negate the point at all.

    I'm not even sure what you think you are trying to say.

  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Bastable:

    You are just being a silly goose now. Calm the fuck down.

    Japanese is spoken by like 0.15% of the US population. It's like 0.1% in Canada. That's a miniscule portion of the North American population. We could go on with other areas if you wish, but we all know the US is the biggest fish and I don't feel like wiking more.

    Even if we assume more of them are gamers, this is still a vanishingly small percentage of potential users. Throw in "people willing to muddle through a japanese version of a game" and you still aren't getting numbers high enough to matter.

    If you do not translate a game into from japanese into another language, almost no one outside Japan will play it. If you release a different version of the game in english, most people outside Japan in NA or the like will play that version. The results are pretty similar to region locking. This shit ain't hard. I have no idea wtf your problem is.
    Dude region locking is things like Sega physically no allowing me to play US Genesis Mickey and Donald carts in a NZ Megadrive or stoping Mexicans play European Spanish versions of games.

    Language is not a region lock.

    Even in the 90s my Chinese friend played through one of the japanese final fantasy's on a Chinese NES with the help of a step by step translation he printed out. The japanese cart was not region locked from playing on Chinese hardware while operating on a NZ brought TV.


    You original statement was that Sony region locked things this is pants on head while on fire untrue. Back-pedalling to foreign languages are region locking and only referencing Japan US is amazingly disingenuous.


    The purpose of region locking is so that only people in region A can play version X of your game. People in region B either can't play it or must play version Y. Not translating a game into the language of region B basically accomplishes this. It's almost functionally equivalent to region locking. You'll still get a few die-hards making the effort to import it, but it's just not gonna be big enough to matter.

    We were talking about region locking, someone said some of the consoles could technically do it but they've never bothered, I posted the thought that "Well, the language barrier can basically accomplish the same thing." That's it.

    Until you apparently threw a fit because you can't seem to understand the rather obvious point in the first paragraph up there.

    This is ridiculous and rather American-centric view of things.

    What about Europe? Which language is the "region rock equivalent" there? Hmmmm? What about China or Korea or other nations that require English in the curriculum? Check that worldview, yo.

    I imagine Japanese isn't spoken much in Europe.

    Or China, if you want to get socio-political about it.

  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    This is such a weird thing to argue about.

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm just gonna stop now cause this is getting strange and people seem to be really weirdly emotional about the issue.

  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I wonder if "We're all doomed here. I'm doomed. You're doomed." would fit in the title.

  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I wonder if "We're all doomed here. I'm doomed. You're doomed." would fit in the title.

    We'll have to save that for the next thread. Not too much longer now...

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    "You don't have to be doomed to post here, but it helps"?

  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Doomed 2: Hell on Earth

  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I found this article to be much more insightful.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192709/Opinion_Xbox_One_is_a_desperate_prayer_to_stop_time.php

    The thesis: The "living room" is dying. There's no "soul of the living room" to be captured anymore. The Xbone is a device marketed to a world that began to disappear five years ago.

  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Only five years ago?

    The era of everyone gathering around the TV feels like a goddamn eternity ago, maybe that's just me though.

  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

    He cites Smartglass as important. Yeesh.

    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    Prediction: always-on exemption codes will begin showing up on Ebay as our good men and women in the military learn that they can have both money and a different console that just works as opposed to being able to play Halo on a submarine.

    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I kind of wish we knew how many consoles were in living rooms vs. bedrooms/basements/dorm rooms or whatever.

    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The reveal of the XBone kept yapping about Smartglass and how awesome it is and how it will have new power with the XBone.

    ...weird promise considering Microsoft has done squat with Smartglass so far after an equally flashy reveal last year.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I kind of wish we knew how many consoles were in living rooms vs. bedrooms/basements/dorm rooms or whatever.
    Always on Kinect will know.

    LaPuzza on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I found this article to be much more insightful.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192709/Opinion_Xbox_One_is_a_desperate_prayer_to_stop_time.php

    The thesis: The "living room" is dying. There's no "soul of the living room" to be captured anymore. The Xbone is a device marketed to a world that began to disappear five years ago.

    Both MS and Nintendo are targeting the living room with their new platforms. Interesting how Sony seems to be the one embracing an online gamer experience the most.

  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I kind of wish we knew how many consoles were in living rooms vs. bedrooms/basements/dorm rooms or whatever.

    I keep all my game machines in my man cave - a dedicated gaming room with a keg, an arcade cabinet, 33 connected consoles, a 3D LED TV and a 27" SDTV to run them all to. That's usually where I hang out by myself if I'm unwinding and not having people over. In that room, I have consoles connected from all generations, from stuff like the Oddessy all the way to the Playstation 3. It's a room for me.

    My living room, I have a spare PS3 out there and a spare Xbox 360 out there in case I have guests over and, for whatever reason, they want to play a video game and not go into what is essentially an adult playroom. Example - sometimes my old fraternity buddies will fly in from out of state and drop by and visit, and we'll do what we did back when we were in college - play games like Halo 3 or Madden.

    That's what I think of when I think of living room entertainment. It's entertainment built for guests, not for myself. As such, if you compare my setups - my mancave vs my living room - I have spent considerably more hours tailoring my mancave to my own personal needs and wants. If we did a breakdown of gaming done in each room throughout the entire year, I'm sure the Mancave would get 99% of my playtime with my livingroom garnering maybe around 1%. This is precisely why I think comments about how nobody can see the occulus rift, or how foolish you'll look to people while playing it are meaningless - how often do you have people sitting around, watching you play a game? If I have company and there are games being played, we're playing together. If I'm playing a game on my own time, then I'm doing it alone and it doesn't really matter who sees me. Which is a good thing because I've actually been playing a lot of DDR lately since getting a metal stand.

  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

    He cites Smartglass as important. Yeesh.

    Guys, he's a "Bestselling author". No way he's wrong about this.

    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.