As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job/Employment/Making Money thread.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    bah

I just assume anyone who doesn't work 40+ hours a week is useless and probably destined to die cold and alone in the gutter.

As God intended.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just essentially spammed 50 of the top robotics researchers in the country about a collaborative funding grant. It was carefully targeted, and I tried to make it to the point and as non-obnoxious as possible, but I was feeling a bit squeamish about it. Then one of the most famous and busy ones replied almost instantaneously saying "Hey, advanced robotics in cornwall! Awesome!" *paraphrased*
    so now I feel a bit better.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So, that interview went alright. Unfortunately I don't meet the requirements for the 32-hour a week position, but I may be offered the position that could be anywhere from 8 to 24 hours a week.

I'm kinda torn, honestly. I could accept the job if offered and continue to get unemployment, and the job could turn into something more, so I don't know.

I guess I'll hear back tonight, anyway.

This doesn't seem possible to me but maybe that is a california thing

What you'll have to consider are the prospects within that company (will working there 12 hours a week help you qualify for the 32 h/w position? etc.) and whether or not you need a job now based on your financial situation

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Just found a benefit of working at a hospital.

I was cooking yesterday and sliced my thumb open on accident. I closed the wound and it was fine for a while.

When I went into work last night, it opened up and I was bleeding profusely into the bathroom sink. I told the nurse, she put disinfectants on it, bandaged it up, and put a makeshift splint made of Q-tips and medical tape underneath it so my thumb wouldn't bend and open back up. This was the same nurse who gave me shit about moving in with my girlfriend. Although we have different views, she's a nice lady.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Azith you remind me of those "i am the 47%" people who came out against the occupy wallstreet movement.

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I texted my boss to see if I could come in an hour late cause I feel like shitballs and she said I could come in 2 hours late!

Wheeeeeeeee

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    How many words do you guys think a "short writing sample" should be?

When I submit writing samples, I tend to go from 2000 words to 5000 depending on the place. The sample I recently submitted was 2989 words, 10 pages double spaced. I'm not sure if that's too long, but I feel like it's difficult to parse a piece if it's under... Say 2000 words. Very few writers have the ability to knock out something stellar in that amount of space. It's better to go long and be told "hey, your sample was a bit long" during the follow up than hand in a single piece of paper.

A tutoring center I recently submitted to asked for a research paper which was at or over four thousand words.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Azith you remind me of those "i am the 47%" people who came out against the occupy wallstreet movement.

"I have a good job so straight up fuck everyone else who doesn't. Those whiny bastards."

Seriously Azith, adjust your perspective. You do not know anyone else's situation fully, and it's rather god damn pompous of you to act as if you're any kind of authority.

Edit: Double posts are how god intended it.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    You've just described every museum job :( You CAN turn that thing into a long time career, but funding for these sites are so low.

Yeah, I mean I didn't plan on getting rich there or even keep making the same amount I do now, since it is essentially just a front desk/ticketing job, I was just hoping for some more hours than what they are suggesting.

Worse case I can work the few hours they give me at the museum and keep working at my current job since its a late shift

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    why is the assumption that people are turning down the $45k job and just sitting around unemployed, waiting for someone to give them more money?

if 2 people on his team have left and the candidates they want aren't taking the offer, that kind of sounds lile the salary isn't competitive.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Hey @JoeUser

I need your help to help a friend of mine. I got her a job working in the marketing department where I work, and her working visa ran out. So she applied for a new visa, and while it was being approved she wasn't allowed to work.

Our boss told her that the job would be waiting when she could work again.

Fast forward 6 weeks or so - her visa is approved and she's ready to work. She calls our boss asking when it would be ok to come back, he tells her there's no budget for her to come back right now but we'll reevaluate again in a couple of months.

which is entirely bullshit. He's just a cheapskate, and as long as our department isn't literally on fire, he would rather spend as little money as possible and keep us all stressed and overworked and his marketing department in a mess.

So I feel guilty because I got her this job, and now I need to help her find a new job.
    She lives in Vancouver, is an expert in fundraising and marketing for charities and the arts, lots of experience running social media, very tech savvy (has worked in tech support), very good at networking and face-to-face promotion.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    How dare the unemployed not take whatever pittance is offered by their benevolent superiors!

P.S. 37,000 dollars in 2001 is equivalent to more than 48,000 dollars today.

Firstly, the job is in one of the lowest cost of living areas in the US, so no, what i started with was definately not poverty, but im definately not rich. what i am is borderline comfortable. Next, the cost of living has not increased by 11k in the last 12 years. prices may have gone up in this bad economy to some degree but 48k is 150% of poverty level in New York City, so in most other places its a pretty damn good starting salary.

Next, people mentioning salary negotiations. if your wanting to negotiate what your starting salary should be when its an entry level position, unless you are a lawyer or doctor, yes, your being whiny. You dont get to complain about your paycheck when your alternative is to continue being unemployed with no experience.

So, like, maybe don't justify this particular argument by comparing te starting salary to the poverty level.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hey @JoeUser

I need your help to help a friend of mine. I got her a job working in the marketing department where I work, and her working visa ran out. So she applied for a new visa, and while it was being approved she wasn't allowed to work.

Fast forward 6 weeks or so - her visa is approved and she's ready to work. She calls our boss asking when it would be ok to come back, he tells her there's no budget for her to come back right now but we'll reevaluate again in a couple of months.

which is entirely bullshit. He's just a cheapskate, and as long as our department isn't literally on fire, he would rather spend as little money as possible and keep us all stressed and overworked and his marketing department in a mess.

So I feel guilty because I got her this job, and now I need to help her find a new job.
    She lives in Vancouver, is an expert in fundraising and marketing for charities and the arts, lots of experience running social media, very tech savvy (has worked in tech support), very good at networking and face-to-face promotion.

What was her title at the previous company?

• Options
    As to the post itself, yeah, I'd say many skilled unemployed aren't really itching to start at entry level, because many of them have already been through entry level jobs, and no one likes being underemployed. Many already have families and homes and realize that a job is a commitment, and would rather take a job that they can see a career in, rather than the first thing that comes along because they happened to offer first.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Scudo wrote: »
    why is the assumption that people are turning down the $45k job and just sitting around unemployed, waiting for someone to give them more money?

if 2 people on his team have left and the candidates they want aren't taking the offer, that kind of sounds lile the salary isn't competitive.

A quick google search confirms the average starting salary for CS grads is a good amount higher than this, yes.

• Options
    It's a straight up fact that many businesses are lowballing salaries to prey on the collective desperation of the workforce, anyway. The best thing for workers in the long run is to be picky, because it forces businesses to up THEIR game.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    i think "skilled" unemployed does not refer to "has had a job"

it refers to "has had a degree"

There's a lot of "skilled" unemployed who are green out of college

and apparently some of them are unwisely being choosey

45k is "below average" for a CS graduate. but that number is massively skewed by silicon valley where they hire en masse out of college and even the most destitute job seeker refuses to answer the phone for less than 60k (more like 70k, really)

Jasconius on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Court is super weird

Oh well

Other attorney seemed to love my arguments

Looks like I earned some guy's respect today

What if he loved them because they helped him win?

I'm helping!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Javen wrote: »
    It's a straight up fact that many businesses are lowballing salaries to prey on the collective desperation of the workforce, anyway. The best thing for workers in the long run is to be picky, because it forces businesses to up THEIR game.

bad theory

there are plenty of people who will work for any price if they need it

the answer is to not blow your entire 20's being obstinate and trying to get back at the man by not lowballing yourself

the answer is to take your lumps, get your extremely valuable experience, and then repay your employers lack of fairness by dumping them as soon as it is convenient for you

the best revenge is success

i started making 12/hr with a bachelors

i now make more money than the CEO of the company that paid me 12/hr

and it only took 5 years

Jasconius on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hey @JoeUser

What was her title at the previous company?

Marketing and Events Coordinator

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Hm I asked my old tutor over a week ago to write my a reference for uni (and I had had to wait until she came back from two-week half-term to hear from her) and she's not done it, and I've emailed her this morning to ask if she was getting it done and heard no response. I'm getting a bit worried, if I've not heard from her by Monday I'm gonna have to call her.

Worried.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    References make me super uncomfortable because I'm terrible at staying in contact with people.

Hello, <person I had a working relationship with several years ago but haven't spoken to since>? Can you write me a reference?

I don't see any way for that not to be awkward.

• Options
    one of the few things that linkedin is good for is that

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I got my first job without needing any particular references, and... I'm still pretty much there. I think I'll probably be able to use these dudes as references in the future should I need it, but other than that I got nothing, and going back to my college professors six years down the line would probably not work very well.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    She's agreed and has been happy to do it, but she's just taking so long. Am I being impatient? She knows I'm waiting on her.

• Options
    I have never had a letter of reference from a previous employer or anything of that nature.

Mostly because half the places I've worked for have shut down and I don't know how to contact them.

When I write that down, it makes me sound like a bad luck charm for small business. Of the past five employers I've had, one was a college, two were Ma & Pa's who closed their doors under financial pressure, and one moved out of state because the market wasn't profitable enough here.

I'll just have to rely on my rugged good lucks, and incredible charm.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    She's agreed and has been happy to do it, but she's just taking so long. Am I being impatient? She knows I'm waiting on her.

It's been my experience that academic references take foreeeever. I've had to harass former professors quite a few times before they follow through. Don't sweat it too much!

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    If all else fails
    http://thereferencestore.com/

(I can only imagine this would be a bad idea that would bite you on the ass in the future)

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I'm struggling with the idea that $37k is poverty level, did I misread something

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I'm struggling with the idea that $37k is poverty level, did I misread something

37K individually or for a family?

Because if you have no dependents, and live outside of an expensive area like downtown New York, you can be pretty comfortable on 37K.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I got my first job without needing any particular references, and... I'm still pretty much there. I think I'll probably be able to use these dudes as references in the future should I need it, but other than that I got nothing, and going back to my college professors six years down the line would probably not work very well.

Yup, this is pretty much my situation. Started working for this place straight out of college, my only other potential references are an internship I did back in college 8 years ago, or the job I had stocking a local grocery store back in high school.

I think I'm going to solve the problem by just working here until I retire.

• Options

depending on location and other obligations, 37k could leave you with not very much after rent and bills

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

It's been my experience that academic references take foreeeever. I've had to harass former professors quite a few times before they follow through. Don't sweat it too much!

This. Be polite, but persistent. It works wonders.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    FREIGHT SHIPPING NOTIFICATIONS ARE LIVE

A PROJECT I HAVE WANTED TO MAKE A REALITY FOR LITERALLY 5+ YEARS HAS COME TO FRUITION

I'm really happy about this guys.

• Options
    you cant do that dan that isn't how we've always done it

change it back

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

This. Be polite, but persistent. It works wonders.

Oh thank GOD, I was worrying cause I'm daft. You two are the best, thank you!!

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

depending on location and other obligations, 37k could leave you with not very much after rent and bills

While this is true, I think that if you have no dependents than it is certainly above poverty level. You are not be comfortable, but you are fine financially.

• Options
    Sassori wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »

While this is true, I think that if you have no dependents than it is certainly above poverty level. You are not be comfortable, but you are fine financially.

Yeah that's true, riding solo you should be doing fine on 37k unless you're making poor choices

Or I guess if you're like stale and organs are falling out of you all the time

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    my mom makes in the high 30's low 40's

it is by no means miserable if you can keep your rent under control

high standard of living? certainly not

but also definitely not starving or wanting for all of the basics

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Just sent out a rather angry email to a whole bunch of people with some C-level folks on it as well.

The reply all response from the head of the legal department was:
    3qhv0i_zps03aed90f.jpg

..thanks, guys.

This discussion has been closed.