As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Job/Employment/Making Money thread.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i dont get it

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    The drug is a bottle of Jim Beam

It works wonders

Darth WaiterShazkar Shadowstorm
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    The drug is a bottle of Jim Beam

It works wonders

Hey now, they're kids.

Start them off on something a bit lighter, like say vodka or spiced rum.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Bailey's.

Just tell them that it's special chocolate milk.

Disclaimer: I do not endorse or condone the usage of alcohol by a minor. All legal complaints may be directed to the Department of My Ass.

Kaplar
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Damn.

Now I want Baileys.

Brovid Hasselsmof
    Sassori wrote: »
    Damn.

Now I want Baileys.

You ever drink Bailey's from a shoe?

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    So I work in a co-working space, and we have an open area for people to use wifi, print, scan, etc, but we also offer offices and meeting rooms by the hour. If the meeting rooms aren't being all used, we usually let people take 10-15 minute phone calls in them if they really have to, but most people opt to just take calls in the open area. A guy was just here and he had just walked into one of the offices after being in the open area for about 15 minutes, and he had been in the office for probably 45. I knocked and it looked like he waved me in through the little window, and I asked him if he wanted me to book the room for him. He said that he'd only been in for like 15 minutes. I told him that I wasn't sure about that, but I dropped it and went back to the front. He immediately packed up all his stuff, told me that I made him look like an idiot on his call. I kinda feel like a jerk now, but I know he had been in there longer than the time we usually allow. Bleh.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Taking two days off...I think I need to walk away from my work email for a bit. My latest business trip had me dealing with some frustrating things and the lack of acknowledgement is making me more frustrated, more so because my team lead did the same job and was extolled across the company for it. Ah well, I guess. Need to calm down from working over the weekend.

Edit: I should add that this isn't really how the higher ups see it but it's just how it feels to me. Hence why I'm just going to take a step back here.

mightyjongyo on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I found this to be a very interesting article.

Makes a lot of sense, and it resonates with a lot of things I've seen in my career. I know I've certainly felt at times that I wasn't really in any kind of control regarding my work - when people know you're a good employee and a hard worker, you working hard isn't really considered praiseworthy so much as expected.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    So this morning i was expecting to get some work for this huge huge, multi million dollar, year long project. I am sitting there kinda catching up on a smaller ... tiny project. Suddenly the manager on the tiny project just asks me out of the blue when I will be done with it. I tell her I cant be sure, but not long at all because its not much work, but again i cannot be sure because i don't like to commit to a self imposed deadline with such a large project looming overhead. She suddenly says "i cant believe you are being so cavalier about finishing this project, the man is moving in and you are waisting his money." "He wants to move in, and you are not committing to finishing it." Now, this girl isnt my boss, but is certainly acting like she thinks she is. She keeps calling me "cavalier" and that I am not acting like how people act in this business.

At that very moment, my boss walks in with about a weeks worth of work for the huge project I am to be working on, plops it all on my desk, and tells me i have a week before the client wants to look at it for a big meeting.

The coworker just interjects as my boss is filling me in "I am leaving, to GO WORK AT HOME." Then makes the most dramatic "huff" sound i have ever heard, and leaves.

I have the feeling she is on the phone now with my 2nd boss, just bitching me out. Oh well, at least i'm busy now, and half of me feels like i did something wrong just by not doing the standard "oh yes ill do this right away, just for you, without question, and drop everything."

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    :? define 'engagement'.

FAQThe Good Doctor TranDay of the Bear
    I'd say that, while the definition of 'engagement' is pretty vague, having a culture at work that is based around 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' can be detrimental to the morale of people who work hard and perform at a high level regardless of feedback. Certainly, you'll continue to perform at that level, but you might start to consider other options - it's less a problem now, but I've certainly had years where I've worked at a consistently high level, have been told 'you're working at a consistently high level' but due to factors outside of my control, was treated as though I'd just worked at an average level.

Not saying it's 100% accurate, or even 100% perfectly written, but I do believe that rewarding excellence is something that should happen, as opposed to believing that high performers can be safely ignored because you'll get the same results no matter what you do.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh I'm not disagreeing with the premise of the article. I just don't really understand what they're measuring when they talk about 'engagement'. Participation? getting noticed? day-to-day enjoyment? some combo of all of that?

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Court is super weird

Oh well

Other attorney seemed to love my arguments

Looks like I earned some guy's respect today

Erin The RedThe BetgirlProbadAl_watfacetiousElbasunuDarth WaiterJoeUserAeytherAnialosTofystedethSCREECH OF THE FARG
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh I'm not disagreeing with the premise of the article. I just don't really understand what they're measuring when they talk about 'engagement'. Participation? getting noticed? day-to-day enjoyment? some combo of all of that?

Engagement, as it has oft been explained to me, basically means that you look at work as less of an obligation and more of something you're interested in and actually look forward to doing. You care about the products you're building and you're more likely to think about it outside of working hours.

It also has to do with feeling like your work values you and your contributions - the sense of two-way loyalty, where you're loyal to your company because they feel loyal to you. Whether or not that's true, of course, varies from situation to situation, but at the very least you feel like it's true.

It's a vague, HR'ish term.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    I found this to be a very interesting article.

Makes a lot of sense, and it resonates with a lot of things I've seen in my career. I know I've certainly felt at times that I wasn't really in any kind of control regarding my work - when people know you're a good employee and a hard worker, you working hard isn't really considered praiseworthy so much as expected.

But there's rarely any true loyalty in the employer -> employee direction, so why bother? I work more on interesting projects sure... but I just adjust my % of time slacking off, not work all day and night

The article is far too vague to offer any actual useful insight. This article describes a company that sounds fundamentally broken to begin with.

The article should be titled "if you institutionally ignore all the people who work hard, they won't work hard anymore"

in which case this becomes less of a mystery?

I don't know. It's poorly written, and the actual applications of this concept vary greatly across roles and industries

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    my first jury duty summons

o joy

poo
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    None of you fucks copy business plans from the internet right

Right

Please don't tell me you do that

• GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    I hate it when work is slow. I literally ran out of things to do at work, so I got out early. Which on the one hand is yaaaaay, but on the other is hmmm, two hours fewer of pay.

Day of the Bear
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I woke up at 7 am this morning at got really pissed at myself because my brain was not working and I though I woke up at 7 pm some how and missed work.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    my first jury duty summons

o joy

With any luck, you'll go in, sit in a waiting room for an hour, then go home for the rest of the day because they've got all the dudes they need.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Darth WaiterDead Legend
    hey guys

i have one free night in san francisco next week i have never been there

what should i do/where should i go

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    hey guys

Hardcore gay sex

Darth WaiterMaximumKwoaruRuby RhodfacetiousAnialosHacksawRainfall
    Hunter wrote: »
    hey guys

Hardcore gay sex

Beaver Street is where Robin Williams used to live.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    hey guys

AT&T Park obviously. Unless they're on the road when your here.

Otherwise there's like, the ballet or something.

Just don't get conned into going to Alcatraz, it's a piece of shit.

sadly the Giants are on a road trip that week

it was the first thing I googled

Oh well. There's always O'Farrell Theatre.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

There's always the A's! Tickets will always be heap for those games...

There are a ton of museums, and also the Academy of Sciences, they have a night life thing on thursday nights I think.

The Exploratorium is pretty nifty, although I haven't been to the new location. I'm sure you could easily waste a couple of hours in there.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The place where I work now has a "Bomb Threat Checklist" taped to the whiteboard in the kitchen.

It reminds us to make a note of any sounds we here over the phone if a threat is called in, such as how the voice of the person sounds.

One of the options is "pleasant."

It's both incredibly unsettling and kind of funny.

IKknkhU.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So I've been applying to jobs and the other day I got a reply

Guy offers me a job through email being his executive assistant. I'd get paid $400 a week plus $50 a week for gas money to run various ill-defined errands like 'sending out packages' and 'managing finances' and 'calling associates'.

Also he can't meet me because he's in the Bahamas right now on business.

This job seems on the up and up. I think I'm gonna take it.

laughingfuzzballErin The RedtynicSlacker71ProbadJoeUserThe BetgirlFyndirSkeithDarth WaiterAnialosHacksawASimPersonSassoriNeoTomaLiiyaMadEddyKaplarSCREECH OF THE FARG
    If there are any bay area peeps looking for work, maybe these?
    Also some openings in France

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    The place where I work now has a "Bomb Threat Checklist" taped to the whiteboard in the kitchen.

It reminds us to make a note of any sounds we here over the phone if a threat is called in, such as how the voice of the person sounds.

One of the options is "pleasant."

It's both incredibly unsettling and kind of funny.

One of the biggest warning signs of suicide is sudden happiness.

Brain problems are weird sometimes.

Hacksaw
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So I've been applying to jobs and the other day I got a reply

Guy offers me a job through email being his executive assistant. I'd get paid $400 a week plus $50 a week for gas money to run various ill-defined errands like 'sending out packages' and 'managing finances' and 'calling associates'.

Also he can't meet me because he's in the Bahamas right now on business.

This job seems on the up and up. I think I'm gonna take it.

Preeeetty sure I've had an offer from the same guy.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Seriously though that job has to be for a drug runner or human trafficker, right?

YukiraSlacker71Al_watJayKaosAnialosHacksawKaplarNightDragon
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Seriously though that job has to be for a drug runner or human trafficker, right?

it is actually a temp position with an organ farming ring

2x39jD4.jpg
    Darth Waiter
  • FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

gotta pad that resume somehow!

Kwoaru wrote: »

Oh, well if it's not for long...

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    hey guys

As you are a nerd I suggest the Cable Car Museum - it overlooks one of the flywheel/powerhouse locations the cable car network uses, and has a bunch of history stuff.

I also suggest getting dinner at The Stinking Rose. Assuming you like garlic.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
This discussion has been closed.